Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I know it reached meme status in D:OS 2, but can you please just tone it down a bit. The background dialogue is so insanely repetitive... how many times can you hear the "I care about our lives, our future" speech before it gets boring?

Right now NPCs start talking about every 45 seconds. Maybe increase that to 2 minutes or even longer.

G
addict
addict
G
It reached meme status in DOS1 with the Cyseal vendors.

addict
addict
I agree with the general feeling of these non-party NPC-to-NPC banter becoming quite repetitive, even though they are absolutely lovely in many cases.

I'm not sure increasing the interval between repeats is the only solution, though it surely would be one, so long as we don't have to wait too long for it to trigger the first time round. Perhaps another idea would be to modify the general behaviour : the banter could trigger a couple of times when the party comes close to the NPCs, then stop for as long as the party stays around, instead of looping forever.

Anyway, as often, I'm not as keen in discussing in-depth how Larian should do it as I am in reporting this as an area for improvement (and in the present case, an annoyance).

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by gaymer
It reached meme status in DOS1 with the Cyseal vendors.

That just means the repetitive background dialogue is on purpose. It's going to stay. It's working as intended.

It's getting hard for me to take Larian developers seriously. They seem to thrive on memes, Michael Bay and silliness and it trickles into their games.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 17/04/21 08:38 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I CARE ABOUT OUR LIVES! OUR FUTURES!

journeyman
journeyman
I agree the background dialogues definitely need more time between the first time they are spoken and when they are repeated. They do really add to the immersion initially, but they detract from it when they repeat after such a short time. I don't mind them repeating if I'm hanging around an area for a long time, but it's distracting when it's as frequent as it is.

I think it should only play once for every time you enter ear shot. Some times I'm sitting in the inventory organizing my stuff, and some times that takes a good couple of minutes. The whole time I'm listening to goblins talk about the same nonsense over and over again. "Duh, ain't moanin if it's true!" It's infuriating.

Last edited by footface; 17/04/21 10:06 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Ankou
I CARE ABOUT OUR LIVES! OUR FUTURES!

Maybe I can be a teacher, or a butcher.

A butcher?

I like the sight of blood.

(I might be off on certain parts)

It certainly doesn't help both these groups happen to be close to one of the only two early vendors in the game.

veteran
veteran
Indeed, putting inanely repeating dialogues that will repeat multiple times, exactly, in the most immersion-breaking way, right next to locations, such as vendors, where we are liable to stand for several minutes naturally, does seem to be a distinctly deliberate staple of this company's design philosophy.

old hand
old hand
More variety or longer intervals would be very very helpful imo.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Once. Per. Long. Rest.

Please.

Whilst there's no actual movement of time, outside of the... goblin attached events, which forces NPC's to new positions via story scripts, there is practically zero switching around. Sometimes I just want to go back to the Blacksmith or Druid vendor; browse, sort who's selling ... and not hear someone say the same line 4 times. I like playing with sound.

This is precisely why I would [NORMALLY] just flat out kill the patrolling NPC's in DOS2's Driftwood. People meme about it, but it's actually triggering.

stranger
stranger
Keeping it together Bree?

I am alright, as long as I dont think about it too much.

You are saf-

*main character throw a god damn death fog barrel at them and start a fight with the whole town*

Totally worth it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Naerytar
I know it reached meme status in D:OS 2, but can you please just tone it down a bit. The background dialogue is so insanely repetitive... how many times can you hear the "I care about our lives, our future" speech before it gets boring?

Right now NPCs start talking about every 45 seconds. Maybe increase that to 2 minutes or even longer.
I have honestly no idea why Larian struggles so much to come to term with this crap.
We aren't even talking about the need to make these banters "20% less frequent".
We are talking about the urgent need to make them an entire order of magnitude more sparse. Like, a TENTH of what's now. Even better if we could just hear a banter ONCE for every time we visit a given area (and offering a couple of variations for it would be icing the cake).

It becomes INCREDIBLY jarring if you have the unfortunate idea to start sorting your inventory or equipment around one of these chatty NPCs... And at some point you are basically forced to give up, close everything and move elsewhere out of sheer exasperation.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/04/21 08:37 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Originally Posted by Tuco
I have honestly no idea why Larian struggles so much to come to term with this crap.
We aren't even talking about the need to make these banters "20% less frequent".
We are talking about the urgent need to make them an entire order of magnitude more sparse. Like, a TENTH of what's now. Even better if we could just hear a banter ONCE for every time we visit a given area (and offering a couple of variations for it would be icing the cake).

It becomes INCREDIBLY jarring if you have the unfortunate idea to start sorting your inventory or equipment around one of these chatty NPCs... And at some point you are basically forced to give up, close everything and move elsewhere out of sheer exasperation.

+infinity. I find myself frequently managing my equipment around these NPCs. If these guys would spout their line only once per encounter, that would solve a lot.

Link Copied to Clipboard