Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
What a great way to start testing this Poll "function", what's you favorite class so far ? smile

Poll - Which Class do you prefer so far
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 18/04/21 01:42 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by Starlights; 18/04/21 01:44 AM.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
OP Offline
I'm not going to lie .. I voted rogue grin

If you vote, you get to see the result ! Be honest, go with your heart !
cool

Last edited by Starlights; 18/04/21 01:59 AM.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
old hand
old hand
Randomly, does Great Old One even have its features? Last I looked it had nothing.

Warlock, old one. Pact the chain is super handy. Having a disposable unit that get move anywhere on the battlefield in one turn AND retain it's action, that can threaten units and give extra chances to break a casters concentration, to chip away at health, to soak up damage. It's godly.

I chose old one because I think it's the more powerful of the two subclasses at these early levels.

Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Randomly, does Great Old One even have its features? Last I looked it had nothing.
No class features. Great old ones gain a form of telepathy in 5e, but that's kind of hard to impliment in BG3. I choose them for the spell selection. Dissonant wispers is super good.

S
addict
addict
S
I picked Eldritch Knight because of all the current classes, Fighters seem the least modified to Larian mechanics/systems. They seem to be mostly RAW except for Battlemaster Menacing Attack.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 18/04/21 02:21 AM.
old hand
old hand
... argh. It's too hard to choose.

Wizard (evocation) has some great dialogue options and is also lots of fun to play, but - for me - that fun mostly comes from being able to learn absolutely any spell in the game, as long as it can be obtained in scroll form. Which is likely to go away eventually.

Cleric (light) has a spell/ability selection I really like and decent dialogue options, both generic ones and ones tailored to the PC's specific deity.

Warlock (GOO) has my favorite spell/ability list, but the dialogue options are pretty dire at the moment, so it's hard to "get into character". My headcanon can only take things so far.

Druid (Circle of the Land) has a decent selection of spells/abilities and is fantastic, in terms of tailored roleplaying opportunities, when sorting out the Grove.

Hmmm. I guess I'll go with wizard, but when bard and/or paladin get added to the game, watch out!

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
It depends ...
Most fun i had with circle of the moon druid, so that is what i voted for ...
But i allways choose Tief and Battle Master for Astarion and Laezel, no matter who i play ... so maybe i should have choose those, since they are obviously more often and therefore more prefered in my gameplays. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Where is the "none" option?

The implementation of classes is a bit unfinished at the moment, both the UI and the mechanics is hopefully going to see major revisions.

The story is kinda fun with a goodish drow PC and perhaps a tiefling, but that is very class unrelated.

The Chapter 1 does come with a nature wibe, so ranger and druid does seem to get the lion share of motivational gameplay, where the rest is a toss up between being a murderhobo or a being a hero because you are a hero. It makes no difference what a fighter does, either kill them all or not, all roads lead to Baldur's Gate equally.

You can kill all the tieflings, druids and goblins and get to Baldur's Gate.... Only thing you can't kill is Gale.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hunter Ranger. To me its a better eldritch knight until Larian adds the eldritch knight cantrips if ever. Hunter Ranger has everything I need both in and out of combat.

addict
Online Content
addict
I didn't try every possible combination yet. Only human-looking races, and a cleric, warlock, wizard, fighter and ranger class.
I liked the ranger class best. I just restarted a game with a beast-master option. But the raven can't fly (it jumps!), so that's a turndown.
In the real DND games I prefer clerics, but I found them rather disappointing in BG3, so the ranger is my preferred BG3 class at this moment.

veteran
veteran
My first class was warlock (GOO) and I loved it. The two other fun classes for me are rogue (both specs) and druid (Circle of the Land), but I can't decide, which to vote for.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
N
old hand
old hand
N
I chose the most powerful, Wizard evocation. You can literally solo the entire act 1 with this class. So it makes for an interesting playthrough.

But in fact, if I had to choose the one which I had most fun with, I would say Rogue thief.

Last edited by Nyanko; 18/04/21 03:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
It was hard to pick between wizard and druid, but I picked wizard. Druid is great, too, though.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
As long as we are limited to level 4 (which as the time goes is starting to sound more and more like "the entire EA") it's even hard to care that much for me.
It's right at that point where classes have yet to reach the threshold (level 5 and above) where they start to genuinely "come online" and have a good arsenal of spells, abilities and tools that make them feel distinct enough.

Last edited by Tuco; 18/04/21 03:41 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
N
stranger
stranger
N
I voted circle of the moon druid but I basically love them all lol

If I could vote more than once, I'd choose moon druid and battle master, too.

I picked Rogue - Thief, but if I had a second it would be Warlock - Great Old One with Urchin background (so stealth and slight of hand prof). Now if they add in Psionic sub classes I would go with Soulblade for sure.

stranger
stranger
Gameplay wise, I really enjoy the Warlock. Misty Step + Repelling Blast can be great fun. That said, my primary experience with the class in game is by bringing Wyll along. The interaction he has with his patron seems far more interesting than seemingly nonexistent patron interaction Tav has.

Character wise, I am enjoying Wizard the most. I remade one of my TT characters, a mostly good aligned Tiefling scholar who is unwise and overconfident when it comes to decision making. (These tadpole powers seem useful! We could gain better understanding of our situation if we try!) I do wish they implemented a few more wizard schools. I am doing Evocation right now, which is solid, but I would like one that focused more on control spells.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
If I want to hit people. Fighter.
If I want to shoot people. Fighter. ( Ranger just doesn't have the tools I personally want )

If I want support and spell DPS. Cleric of Light

If I just want to watch the world burn, Evocation Wizard. Pending Race, Evocation smash wizard (Gith/Dwarf in medium armour+high STR)

Rogue is boring.
Warlock needs work.
Druid ... eh ... transformation is only fun if it actually works. Needs work. Breaks cutscenes.

Outside of a few party tricks, it'll fall on Fighter/Cleric of Light or Wizard for me. Until they add in Sorc. I just hope they include enough, if not all, the subtypes with it.

stranger
stranger
Voted Warlock - Fiend. Though it still needs some work to be good. Githyanki - Fighter is also on my list.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc
A
addict
addict
A
Druid, my favourite class so far. smile

OP Offline
Hi all,

So far, Druid - circle of the moon and Fighter - battle master are leading the poll.

How do we explain that ?

Most likely related to level cap 4 ? Class design ?

What's your opinion ?

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
If you aggregate subclass results, Druid leads, followed by Warlock, then Fighter. And I agree that those 3 classes are probably the most enjoyable to play right now.

Last edited by agouzov; 20/04/21 12:12 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Starlights
Hi all,

So far, Druid - circle of the moon and Fighter - battle master are leading the poll.

How do we explain that ?

What's your opinion ?

They can do things that aren't obsoleted by scrolls, grenades, food, barrels, etc.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Druid is the newest and freshest in people's minds, most likely, as people rolled a druid to try out over the past month or so.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Aaru
Gameplay wise, I really enjoy the Warlock. Misty Step + Repelling Blast can be great fun. That said, my primary experience with the class in game is by bringing Wyll along. The interaction he has with his patron seems far more interesting than seemingly nonexistent patron interaction Tav has.

Character wise, I am enjoying Wizard the most. I remade one of my TT characters, a mostly good aligned Tiefling scholar who is unwise and overconfident when it comes to decision making. (These tadpole powers seem useful! We could gain better understanding of our situation if we try!) I do wish they implemented a few more wizard schools. I am doing Evocation right now, which is solid, but I would like one that focused more on control spells.

This would be interesting to see. What if they incorporated cutscenes for patrons and deity worship that happened at camp randomly? They wouldn't have to be major events, but it'd make playing cleric more tolerable.

veteran
veteran
Hi all,

How do we explain that ?

What's your opinion ?

Druid is a class that can make everything.
I voted for the druid because it add a lot of missing depths to gameplay and you have to choose wisely on solo playthrough (combine spells + melee + wildshape + speak with animals easily + easy exploration,...).

About the fighter the answer is probably that they are OP due to easy advantages (GWM) + they can use the tons of scrolls and the OP 18 INT item if necessary + food heal more than healing potions or healing spells so..... They nearly have everything.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/04/21 06:45 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
apprentice
I like the Druid most. Second is a cleric (I am in other games normally the Healer-person).
My Druid is my Tank (more or less), she can heal, tank, open locks, talk to animals (which is to my opinion quite usefull in BG), and most versatile. And a cleric can heal and even stand in the frontline. I don't like to play fighters though.

I would like dual-classes - that would be great (cause I love HUGE spellbooks :D)...

Who needs earth, when one can conquer heaven

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran

How do we explain that ?
I cant even explain how anyone would choose circle of the moon, when circle of the land is right next to it. laugh
But its probably just me being more like caster guy. laugh

BTW, just a little offtopic ...
Am i the only one who cant shake the feeling that this two circles should be named vice-versa ?
It seem odd to me that druid that is from circle of "land" is summonning moonbeam ...
And druid that is from circle of "moon" is turning into various beasts that are running around the land. laugh

I mean i completely understand that druids get their magical powers from the land around them ... but still, this wording is ... well, just weird. laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

How do we explain that ?
I cant even explain how anyone would choose circle of the moon, when circle of the land is right next to it. laugh

Am i the only one who cant shake the feeling that this two circles should be named vice-versa ?
It seem odd to me that druid that is from circle of "land" is summonning moonbeam ...
And druid that is from circle of "moon" is turning into various beasts that are running around the land. laugh

I mean i completely understand that druids get their magical powers from the land around them ... but still, this wording is ... well, just weird. laugh

I like Circle of the Land better too. The spells are working much better for me, than the shape-shifting.
And I never thought about the names, but you are right, it makes more sense the other way around.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
The spell-casting Druids have access to more spells. And to increase flavour and customisation in this sub-class, the 5E designers gave these Druids permanent access to a list of spells that are influenced by and evocative of the type of terrain in which they trained, or are working/living. That's probably why they went for Circle of the Land. It sounds pretty straightforward to me.

The shape-shifting Druids have access to more/better animal forms and can transform more easily. The animals they turn into can (eventually) be flying or aquatic creatures, so they are free to roam in the air, rivers or seas, not just on land. I don't know if the 5E designers wanted to allow a similarity between Druid shape-shifting and lycanthropy, which is moon-connected. The PHB explains that these Druids tend to gather at full moon, and some night hunter animals may hunt better with the moon. The PHB also handwaves that these Druids might be asocial and more wild and temperamental than your everyday Land Druid, and their mood is "changeable as the moon".

I guess the 5E designers could have called the order of shape-shifters the Circle of the Beasts. But I wouldn't have used Land for them. Yes, there is the spell Moon Beam, but they all have it so ... I'd say the shape-shifters might have been better named, but the spell-casters are perfectly fine.

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 20/04/21 02:02 PM.
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

How do we explain that ?

I like Circle of the Land better too. The spells are working much better for me, than the shape-shifting.
And I never thought about the names, but you are right, it makes more sense the other way around.
No idea why it is named so in D&D, but for me it makes sense, since moon is associated with werewolves, probably the most iconic shapeshifters.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Oh dont get me wrong, i do not demand renaming ...
Its just funny point of view detail i wanted to share. laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
I voted Hunter Ranger. But honestly I have 3 that are about equal. The Hunter Ranger, Battlemaster Fighter, and Abjurer Wizard (now that it's been mostly fixed). Though with mods, I love the Vengeance Paladin, Bladesinger Wizard, and War Domain Cleric.

Last edited by Merlex; 21/04/21 12:08 AM.
Shout out to the thief, who gets two bonus actions. Say what you want about larian's Homebrew, but I find this one to be an absolute joy. I'm not sure if anything in 5e permits two bonus actions, so having a class that can just do it gives us a chance to do things we wouldnt otherwise be able to do. Put a sword in each hand, and you're set.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by footface
Shout out to the thief, who gets two bonus actions. Say what you want about larian's Homebrew, but I find this one to be an absolute joy. I'm not sure if anything in 5e permits two bonus actions, so having a class that can just do it gives us a chance to do things we wouldnt otherwise be able to do. Put a sword in each hand, and you're set.

Well, Fast Hands is supposed to be:

Starting at 3rd Level, you can use the Bonus Action granted by your Cunning Action to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, use your thieves’ tools to Disarm a trap or open a lock, or take the Use an Object action.

And while a second Bonus Action is nice it kinda messes a tiny bit with the action economy and I kinda miss being able to pick pocket things as a bonus action in combat, deal with that trap that is about to go off, or use something and still be able to attack.

So far I've had the most fun with Ranger (Hunter), which also happens to be my favorite in Solasta: Crown of the Magister atm. I particularly love the changes made to Favored Enemy and Terrain for the game, because it feels less like wasted design space and meaningful additions to my character. Keeper of the Veil + Beast Tamer is possibly my favorite combo, though Urban Tracker is handy too. Looking forward to lvl 5, when it gets Extra Attack and 2nd lvl spells.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
T
stranger
stranger
T
Rogue thief - Because it allows me to kill Astarion before even having to interact with him once.

stranger
stranger
Light domain Cleric - Great spell selection, access to chainmail, solid AoE damage with Radiance of Dawn, and good survivability with Warding Flare.

I have no Idea how Kelemvor (A God of the Dead) is giving me access to this domain – but I’m not complaining at all. 😊

apprentice
apprentice
I'm not familiar with 5th ed. of DD. I played the 3rd ed. based games years ago like BG 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. So is a Battlemaster Fighter so much better than the Eldritch Knight? I chose the latter in my current playthrough of BG 3. I just thought being able to cast some spells, can't hurt. Seems like I was wrong, since Battlemaster fighters seem to be much more common.

Last edited by Ragnarök; 01/05/21 12:05 AM. Reason: Typos
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragnarök
I'm not familiar with 5th ed. of DD. I played the 3rd ed. based games years ago like BG 1 & 2, Ivewind Dale 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. So is a Battlemaster Fighter so much better than the Eldritch Knight? I chose the latter in my current playthrough of BG 3. I just thought being able to cast some spells, can't hurt. Seems like I was wrong, since Battlemaster fighters seem to be much more common.
Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight are both great options in tabletop 5e, roughly equal in strength. However, there's a few things in BG3 that make Battlemaster the superior option.
  • The Frightened condition caused by Menacing Strike is supposed to only cause disadvantage on the enemy's attacks and prevent them from moving closer to the source of their fear. Larian has changed this to force the enemy to run away (provoking opportunity attacks) and they lose their entire turn. This changes Menacing Strike from a fairly useful debuffing ability into an OP fight-winner, especially against solo powerful enemies.
  • In BG3 every class can use scrolls, so why would you play a Eldritch Knight when you can instead play a Battlemaster and get all the benefits of the EK subclass via scrolls?
  • BG3 hasn't implemented some of the spells that make EK so good in tabletop, specifically the cantrips Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade (spells that add damage/effects to a melee attack) and the 1st-level reaction spells Absorb Elements and Shield.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TomReneth
So far I've had the most fun with Ranger (Hunter), ... Keeper of the Veil + Beast Tamer is possibly my favorite combo, though Urban Tracker is handy too. Looking forward to lvl 5, when it gets Extra Attack and 2nd lvl spells.

I've played 2 Hunter Rangers. The 1st was right before patch 3. He was a strength based Shield Dwarf + Far Traveler (mods) + Ranger Knight (for heavy armor) + Urban Tracker + Hunter's Mark + Horde Breaker. I took 2 Weapon Fighting style, and used 2 hand axes. Then took the Duel Wield feat, and upgraded to 2 battle axes. I would jump into the middle of mobs and hack away.

My 2nd Ranger went with Keeper of the Veil + Beast Tamer + Colossus Slayer. Everything else I kept the same except I upped his Dex to 14 in character creation. Both were a lot of fun.

Last edited by Merlex; 30/04/21 04:51 PM.
old hand
old hand
Rogue Thief for me. Assuming we get Bard, and the right "prestige classes", assuming they're still a thing, I want to recreate my Bard/Assassin/AA from Neverwinter Nights. Should be fun in this setting, if I can get it.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Ragnarök
I'm not familiar with 5th ed. of DD. I played the 3rd ed. based games years ago like BG 1 & 2, Ivewind Dale 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. So is a Battlemaster Fighter so much better than the Eldritch Knight? I chose the latter in my current playthrough of BG 3. I just thought being able to cast some spells, can't hurt. Seems like I was wrong, since Battlemaster fighters seem to be much more common.
Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight are both great options in tabletop 5e, roughly equal in strength. However, there's a few things in BG3 that make Battlemaster the superior option.
  • The Frightened condition caused by Menacing Strike is supposed to only cause disadvantage on the enemy's attacks and prevent them from moving closer to the source of their fear. Larian has changed this to force the enemy to run away (provoking opportunity attacks) and they lose their entire turn. This changes Menacing Strike from a fairly useful debuffing ability into an OP fight-winner, especially against solo powerful enemies.
  • In BG3 every class can use scrolls, so why would you play a Eldritch Knight when you can instead play a Battlemaster and get all the benefits of the EK subclass via scrolls?
  • BG3 hasn't implemented some of the spells that make EK so good in tabletop, specifically the cantrips Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade (spells that add damage/effects to a melee attack) and the 1st-level reaction spells Absorb Elements and Shield.

Thank you for this input and insights, which make sense. We don't know, yet, how this may change once the level cap is increased, maybe the Eldritch Knight will be more worthwhile then. I'm not a powergamer anyway I'm in it more for the roleplay and a mystic knight still is quite appealing to me. But your arguments really make a lot of sense.

Once the game is released I might switch to Paladin anyway.
Cheers and so long.

Last edited by Ragnarök; 01/05/21 12:14 AM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
Ranger is my favorite to play (role and damage). With hunter's mark and colossal slayer you can put down some pretty good damage, plus Larian has made the ranger even better (verticality, heavy armor variant).

But my favorite ranger is the human variant with crossbow expert and sharpshooter (so I have to wait on while on those to be in game.)
Use hand crossbow @ 4th level 2 attacks due to using bonus action to shoot another bolt.
1st round (cast hunters mark) and the damage is 2d6+3 (+1d8 if someone already hit him)
2nd round is 4d6+1d8+6
@5th you would get 3 attacks

Crossbow expert gives you non-disadvantage if someone is within melee range (so I wonder how Larian is going to deal with this.)
You also can use your bonus action to shoot another bolt with a hand crossbow

Sharpshooter is much like greater weapon mastery +10 damage with -5 to hit but most people forget these 2 things it also gives
Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls. Although all ranged weapon are now 60 feet, I wonder if that will change in full game.
Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover - so basically they have to be behind a house for you not to shoot at them regularly.

If the full game launches with just these 2 subclasses (Hunter, Beastmaster) I would probably go 5th ranger / 5 rogue to get the extra damage, Gloomstalker I would go all the way ranger.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by robertthebard
Rogue Thief for me. Assuming we get Bard, and the right "prestige classes", assuming they're still a thing, I want to recreate my Bard/Assassin/AA from Neverwinter Nights. Should be fun in this setting, if I can get it.

No Prestige Classes in 5e. The have Sub-Classes though, like the Thief. They wanted to put the focus back on the classes, rather than number crunching to gain a Prestige Class.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by footface

After the full game launches, I plan to multiclass my Strength based Duel Wielding Hunter Ranger with 3-5 levels of Thief Rogue. Two attacks a round plus two bonus attacks a round, and all of the bonus damage; very nice. smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Merlex
Originally Posted by robertthebard

No Prestige Classes in 5e. The have Sub-Classes though, like the Thief. They wanted to put the focus back on the classes, rather than number crunching to gain a Prestige Class.

That's too bad. I fell in love with that character in NWNs. She was an absolute beast.

Ranger-Hunter. Soooo fun!

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
Originally Posted by Malrith
Ranger-Hunter. Soooo fun!

I know, right? Looking forward to lvl 5 for multiattack. Sadly Rangers don't scale too well above lvl 5, but multiclassing fixes that easily. I'm thinking maybe going into Druid for a real old school Bard feel.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
addict
addict
I'm sorry if I have missed it in another thread, but has there been any discussion on any of the 5e sub classes coming to BG3, like Gloom Stalker for instace?

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Not here ...
But i gues we can start it. :P

I would really love to see Circle of Sheppard for Druids ...
Since im in general huge fan of classes that are summoning their own armies, and since Warlock in DnD isnt exactly what im used to ... it seem kinda sad to me, that the only summoner we get is supposed to be Necromancer. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/05/21 11:40 AM.

addict
addict
Current Druid/Land; however, a Modded (nexus) "True" Paladin Oath breaker is fun - especially if you choose his god as Mykul(sp). You get some interesting dialogs with some NPCs as a paladin of this god. As with any mod, this one is still a WIP and you do not get your Origin powers. These dialogs are in the base game, so it seems you will be able to make a Paladin type with pretty much any god in game. To be able to choose a god, you will need to first start as a Cleric in char creation screen, choose your god and then change to paladin. The dialogs are specific to paladins.

I hope they allow multi classing and add an oath breaker officially to the game - A janked up Human/Vampire multiclassed shadow Druid/Oath breaker may be fun if allowed - odd combo and may not be allowed.

My other "Tav" charecters/classes will be an Ice Focused Elf/Tiefling? sorcerer (and no not Elsa(sp) inspired lol, I created her "Myst Windlore" in BG1), Drow Rogue with a focus on Chr/dialog, Half elf multiclassed Ranger/Druid. Not sure on race with a couple yet...

My janked up class character is a bit off his rocker with a hatred of the current gods and somewhat of a power trip. He has a sense of balance but draws his inspiration from the primal and sees the gods as a diversion from the true source. His story is a bit deeper than that... I am sure I will not be able to make him as noted, but there are a few ways to skin an owl bear.

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 28/05/21 01:12 PM.
My favorite is the great Old One Warlock, but for no other reason than I'm somewhat of a Lovecraft fan, and I like the idea that my Warlocks get their abilities from a Yog-Sothoth esque being.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I'm a wizard guy, always have been. But seems like wizards are overly weak with things set up the way they are now. Thoughts? So far my best play throughs have been with the Warlock and Druid.

enthusiast
enthusiast
For me, it is the Warlock for the Fiend Patron, mainly because of the huge role the Hells and Devils seem to be playing in the story, and seeing as this game begins following the end of Descent into Avernus this makes a great deal of sense for someone like this to be in the story. So until I can play as Wyll, I will be happy with a Fiend Patron Warlock.

Evil always finds a way.
veteran
veteran
I surprisingly enjoy the ranger even though I play it kinda weird with STR and greatsword

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
journeyman
Always tend to play fighter types, just reminds me of the classic hero of the films.

What I don't like is that due to the limited choices available in the companions you tend to be restricted somewhat if you want a party that contains companions that are at least not in total opposition to your character's ethos (tend to be neutral good). Hopefully IF they bring in more companions or at least let us built a second player made character that will be less of an issue and you can then have a bit more flexibility with your class choices for your character.

stranger
stranger
That's tough, I generally will play sneakier characters in most games so I went rogue first. It was fun, but I also really enjoyed druid.

I ended up choosing Moon Druid because the Wildshape was a fun wrinkle to use through EA, but I've enjoyed both of them. When I play again I'm think of trying either a Wizard or Cleric. I'm most excited to see how they handle Monk and Barbarians though!

That's rough buddy
addict
addict
Cleric. He was kinda OP in previous editions, 5th edition seems a bit strange to begin with but the cleric is now even more free than before when it comes to weapon choice so he's literally a swiss knife right now.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by virion
Cleric. He was kinda OP in previous editions, 5th edition seems a bit strange to begin with but the cleric is now even more free than before when it comes to weapon choice so he's literally a swiss knife right now.

Hi virion, I would agree with you - although I didn't play the previous edition, in this game - the cleric could take martial adept and act like 1/2 a weapon master smile but beyond level 4, would you really keep your cleric a melee ? or spend on fighter's feat instead of growing in spell ?

oh, I was wondering if you could make your avatar nodding ... like saying yes ?! smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by virion

Hi virion, I would agree with you - although I didn't play the previous edition, in this game - the cleric could take martial adept and act like 1/2 a weapon master smile but beyond level 4, would you really keep your cleric a melee ? or spend on fighter's feat instead of growing in spell ?

oh, I was wondering if you could make your avatar nodding ... like saying yes ?! smile

Can't make the avatar thing that happen for you. But it does sadden me if it makes you feel a bit better about it.

Well... My cleric was always a tank / spell caster support / dps in that particular order. In BG3 the DPS part of him is the ability to use the bow ( not sure of that is intended for a cleric to be able to use it?o.0). But since his dex is maxed out the bow fits in perfectly.

Not sure how his specializations look on higher levdes in 5th edition, my only experience with 5th edition is BG3.
But I would totally go for any specialization for melee weapons ( or bows lol ).

The basic spells he has are powerful enought to allow for versatility. It's all he needs from the spell side after me.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
old hand
old hand
Depends on how you build a cleric, but they can easily be frontline or backline. BG3 started us off with the weirder end of Clerics by giving us a low STR/high DEX Cleric that is meant to be more backline, while most people I feel tend to build a cleric as a Melee Weapon and Shield type.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Depends on how you build a cleric, but they can easily be frontline or backline. BG3 started us off with the weirder end of Clerics by giving us a low STR/high DEX Cleric that is meant to be more backline, while most people I feel tend to build a cleric as a Melee Weapon and Shield type.

Because the cleric has a lot of 'melee' spells and if you want to use them on companions, then you need to come close. I would like to play a distant cleric, but then he just turns into an archer... I'm talking about those spells that don't need a spell slot. Maybe it will be different at higher levels, but right now it feels like this.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Fun fact ... his avatar is nodding in Bulgarian. laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why are Wizards able to learn clerical/divine spells? I thought they were restricted to the Wizard spell list/arcane spells only.

Evil always finds a way.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
They are suppose to ...

So far there are two theories running around ...
- Either Larian simply thought this would be more fun, or they didnt understand the rule ... anyway it is intentional.
- Or this is some kind of fault, they didnt *yet* manage to solve. :-/

D
stranger
stranger
D
If we really haven't gotten confirmation on it, i supremely doubt that in the final game Wizards will be able to cast divine spells. Just an implementation thing.
Lmao at NOBODY voting for Abjuration lol.

The Druid would honestly not have been my vote if not for one thing: Spider form. Arachnid jump + immunity to difficult terrain is just plain fun.
Pass Without Trace in order to pickpocket, and cat form to be generally sneaky.
The utility alone makes them a ton of fun, a ridiculous health pool for Circle of the Moon makes them rather good.

Last edited by Dtelm; 30/06/21 10:15 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard