Print Thread
#770336 19/04/21 03:15 PM
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Hi everyone.
I've got a question about the game engine, and heat. I recently bought a supermax Alienware gaming machine. It's allowed me to play virtually every game I've tried, without issues. Any FP shooter, or combat simulator, runs without issue. Except for D:OS 2, and BG3. Whenever I fire up one of those games, my fans start gasping like a beached whale. It goes for both of them. Instead of doing a full cooldown every 30 minutes, I get a full wheezer every one minute. And the machine isn't even close to hot.

I don't know much about this stuff, so could anyone tell me if there's a way around this, or is the game engine designed this way?

Regards.

P
addict
addict
P
You may want to check your drivers. I am running a IBUYPOWER rig, and have had no issues like this. Now with CP2077 yeah my fans were whistling like mad, but have had no issues. Also, you may want to google your video card model with maybe Baldur's Gate 3 attached to the search term? That could pull up some info.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 19/04/21 03:23 PM.
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Thank you! I find it a bit odd that this has been an issue on several machines, but I'll check out your suggestions.

stranger
stranger
Also try switch to DirectX and see if it's a Vulkan thing.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Storm666

Oh yeah good call!

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
It might also depend on where/what you're doing. The more detailed areas make the processor (and graphics card) work harder, so the fans rev up to compensate. When you shift to a less 'busy' area, it doesn't work as hard and winds down.

There are ways to configure the fan speeds depending; this is usually done in BIOS before you load your operating system. I won't give specifics because it hinges on your computer's physical fan designs, where the pc is located, if the room is cold, if the fans are clean (protip: dust regularly. Look into guides for the pointers if you're not sure) As a general rule, anything beyond 70 degrees celcius (60, depending on your view) is when the fans should absolutely be revving up hard. Beyond 80, the processor has a very real danger of being damaged and you should shut the computer down immediately. Most BIOS have a 'test and auto config' feature, and you can always discard changes before saving them.

Before you start messing around with fanspeeds though, try drivers and launching in directx as people have stated.

Last edited by Some_Twerp753; 19/04/21 10:44 PM.
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Originally Posted by Storm666

Oh yeah good call!

Thank you very much, that actually helped quite a bit.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard