Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#770412 20/04/21 12:45 AM
OP Offline
A lot of people complain about the UI. I have minor gripes, but mostly I'm okay with the UI. I'm all for improvements though! I'm curious what problems people have with it. Is there some way you would change it to make it better?

footface #770449 20/04/21 08:53 AM
veteran
veteran
99% responces you get here is "like Solasta" ... and not just in UI matter. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
footface #770456 20/04/21 10:21 AM
veteran
veteran
Just a few clues :

- The Inventory management is a mess.
- The hotbar management is a mess.
- The vendor UI is tedious.
- The (mini)map is awfull.
- The main buttons (character sheet etc...) looks like map filters.

BG3 has a tedious UI that require more management than it should.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/04/21 10:23 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
footface #770459 20/04/21 11:24 AM
veteran
veteran
Chaining and unchaining characters is unreliable and tedious. Hotbar Management is time consuming and impractical - I don't mind some slots for favourite spells, but I don't want to have to create my own, inneficient skill bar and maintain it throughout the game. Almost any other top down RPG did it better. It seems they are copying Dragon Age:O UI, except, you know, that game had little to no reason to switch to other party members, and had limited amount of skills (never needed to use more then one bar).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Just a few clues :

One of us maybe understanded that incorectly ...
I through that footface wanted to know how to make UI better ... not list things that you dont like. O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
footface #770473 20/04/21 02:19 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by footface
A lot of people complain about the UI. [...] I'm curious what problems people have with it. Is there some way you would change it to make it better?

Regarding the first request, Maximuuus and Wormerine have already and concisely given a few pointers. I'll try to remain concise and add only
- the looting system,
- the character creation screen and the level-up screens,
- the spell-book / spells menus.

Regarding the second request ... I usually avoid making too many suggestions. So I won't answer it much I'm afraid.

Suggest doing it this way, then someone will suggest it should be done that way instead, and before long everyone is discussing how it should be done. Also, Larian has people who are used to making games, and are paid to spend time finding solutions to the problems of BG3. They should be able to find how.

So I tend to focus on what doesn't work with the current UI and why it doesn't.

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 20/04/21 02:30 PM.
footface #770479 20/04/21 03:00 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Just a few clues :

One of us maybe understanded that incorectly ...
I through that footface wanted to know how to make UI better ... not list things that you dont like. O_o

I'm curious what problems people have with it.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
footface #770506 20/04/21 07:22 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
Heya,

I am doing one post a day on Interface issues I've seen. I'm not even talking about the UI, just difficulties with controlling your characters, interacting with the environment, and so on.

I've done three so far, they are all still on the first page.

Thanks,
Tgnome57

footface #770512 20/04/21 08:46 PM
OP Offline
Funny story. I was in the underdark near a collection of those green mushrooms. As I was plotting my path, my character would freeze, pull out her daggers, then stay put until the animation for sheathing her daggers was complete. I reloaded the save, and everything was fixed until I approached my mushrooms again. It took me a hot minute to figure out what was going on.

If your mouse hovers an item that can be attacked, like a barrel or mushroom, the game assumes that you want to attack it. Your character will stop what they're doing, pull out their weapon, and plot a path to the object.

Why is the default interaction for these objects "attack" in the first place? If I see an exploding barrel, the last thing I want to do is strike it with my sword.

It's counterintuitive as well. I was playing coop with a buddy, and he clicked on a barrel, assuming the default interaction was pick up. Nope. He got himself killed.

footface #770534 21/04/21 02:35 AM
journeyman
journeyman
If your mouse hovers an item that can be attacked, like a barrel or mushroom, the game assumes that you want to attack it. Your character will stop what they're doing, pull out their weapon, and plot a path to the object.

Why is the default interaction for these objects "attack" in the first place? If I see an exploding barrel, the last thing I want to do is strike it with my sword.

That's one of the things I noticed recently as well. Attack definitely shouldn't be a default action for items, especially when there is a key mapping to allow you to indicate that you want to attack something instead of interact.

I also noticed that when I try to prep a second action (e.g. jump) while a character is moving, the character will stop moving if I hover the second action, even if I haven't clicked to activate the second action. I would prefer if they kept moving until I actually clicked to activate the second action.

I also don't like how, if I'm reading a book from my inventory, it closes the inventory screen after I close the book. Sometimes I pick up multiple books in an area and then read them afterwards all at once, so I have to keep re-opening the inventory to read the next one.

Another issue I have is how the camera orients itself when I tell it to re-focus on the current character. I think it would be more helpful to default to behind them (i.e. back to "chase cam" view), but it doesn't always do that. It seems to be to the side of them more often than not.

footface #770539 21/04/21 03:10 AM
veteran
veteran
Oh man! The list is long on UI changes needed:

1. Party Mode Button needed. Click button, you're in party mode. Click portrait of character, you're in solo mode.
2. Stealth Mode Button. When in party mode, whole party stealth's.
3. Why are characters now defaulting to ranged weapons. I constantly have to switch back to melee.
4. Can't switch characters during dialogues so I can have my characters with better skills use those skills. So if my rogue has good stealth and my fighter intimidate, and a dialogue first requires dialogue and then intimidate, I cant have the rogue deceive and the fighter intimidate.
5. Initiative is jacked up. Constantly skips turns and if I surprise I can get in like 3 attacks with my surprise attacker lots of times before an enemy goes once. Then all my party members can stealth around freely and do whatever they want while all enemies are locked in battle with the first.
6. Jump should not be a button. I should pick where I want to go and if my character needs to jump they automatically do so. Disengage ID the button and should not be tied to Jump so we arent jumping around the screen like super heroes.
7. Magic Spells should have their own menu and be organized so you can find them easier.
8. Same with special abilities like Sneak Attack or Menacing Strike.
9. Your character should not stop whenever you hover over an object.
10. Your character should not autoattack by default an explosive barrel.

I could keep going, but ultimately yeah. Try Solasta. They did a great UI. Its a bit big and could be smaller, mind you, but it is well organized and easy to use. They could also use some hot keys. Still, much better than BG3 right now in terms of UI. They even have reactions you can control and when you shove you choose either to knock prone or push away.

GM4Him #770543 21/04/21 03:21 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by GM4Him
3. Why are characters now defaulting to ranged weapons. I constantly have to switch back to melee.
I think this is actually a bug. On load, it seems to switch to the opposite of whatever each character had equipped when you saved. I've noticed my ranger will often have her swords out after a load, when I know her bow was equipped before.

Link Copied to Clipboard