Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#770555 21/04/21 08:13 AM
OP Offline
Being able to put out lights is pretty handy in a game where light and darkness have an effect on game play. It's a little too good if you ask me. I can get away with a lot of sneaky shit by putting out a light, swapping to turn based mode, and spamming stealth until I pass my check. Let's say this is working as intended, and larian has no desire to fix it. Whatever. Just give it a little nerf. It's unreasonable to think that anyone can put out a fire at will. Sure, a candle can be blown out easily enough, but a torch? A brazier? I can put out someone's cooking fire with a look. It's too much for nothing.

Let's say you take away the power to put out fire at will. Do that and you can add in a cantrip that puts out fires; prestidigitation.

Should prestidigitation be added into the game?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 21/04/21 08:13 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by footface; 21/04/21 08:15 AM.
veteran
veteran
Or they could add the possibility to target torches and so on with fire spells. That's another convenient solution.

Solasta added a cantrip that allow you to light lights. Don't remember how they named it.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Prestidigitation only has a 10' cast range and requires verbal (audible incantations) and somatic (intricate hand gestures) components too. The cantrip Prestidigitation looks really appealing and useful, unfortunately most don't notice the components or cast range. The cantrip from 5e that can light fires is called Produce Flame, which can make fire, but can't extinguish it, also it has no range (self). The cantrip Control Flames has a 60' range, and only requires somatic components. Control Flames is the go to spell for putting out non-magical, fire light sources up to 5'x5'x5' in size in 5e D&D. Gust is the only other cantrip in 5e I can think of that could put out a small, uncovered non-magical flame. The cantrip requires verbal and somatic components too, but at least it has a 30' cast range, unlike Prestidigitation. But this is Larian D&D, where you can light your weapons on fire for added damage with a candle (all as a bonus action too, because who cares about real action economy), and a lit torch is the strongest non-magical one handed, strength based weapon in the game (without having to use a bonus action to light a weapon on fire), so who cares about game balance and using 5e game mechanics.

veteran
veteran
I'd support the addition of presti, simply because it would (should) let me clean up all of the annoying permanent messes everywhere, most notably the blood puddle all over my bed roll...

veteran
veteran
The real reason to include a mage in the party -- shower and laundry service.

old hand
old hand
Prestidigitation is a pretty useful spell. And I think it's the one that can clean material so they could make it a way to clear surfaces.

addict
addict
Well prestidigitation can be used to lay a stink to get guards to move, etc.

If Larian wants to go the sandbox angle, the game needs prestidigitation.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Well prestidigitation can be used to lay a stink to get guards to move, etc.

If Larian wants to go the sandbox angle, the game needs prestidigitation.

Arguably, you'd think it'd be the most Larian friendly of spells, it fits their design of being able to do biggish things for a cantrip.

And would be awesome to implement into dialogue.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 21/04/21 10:38 PM.
OP Offline
What if prestidigitation had different effects depending on what you target? Target a fire, and it goes out. Target a blood stain, and away it goes. Target a spot on the ground, and it creates an odor. Anyone within it's influence makes a constitution saving throw. On a fail, they flee from the odor. lol, why not?

Link Copied to Clipboard