Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
So let me ask you, why would Larian have to make Shove a Bonus instead of an Action to make it work well in a video game?

Because they think 1 action per turn is not enough.
I think they want something more "dynamic" than Solasta.

They failed according to me but I guess that's why they changed a lot of action to bonus action (and create new ones) and/or give us easy advantages.

Wrong answer to an idea that (can) make sense.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/04/21 02:57 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Lol. Right. My point though is that they said they changed things because they didn't work for a video game when they should have said they changed things because they didn't like them.

I think people would have compared BG3 less to Solasta if Larian had just said up front that they are loosely basing the game on 5e but tweaking the rules to whatever they want and the end result may be a cross between DOS and 5e. If they had said this up front, I think people would have been less upset. Then we would have known what to expect before playing.

I still remember my first playthrough. Shocked the heck out of me when I learned we could shove as a Bonus. I even relooked up the rules just to make sure I wasnt losing it. For the longest time, I was using shove as an action and then was totally confused that I still had bonus action available.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

They failed according to me but I guess that's why they changed a lot of action to bonus action (and create new ones) and/or give us easy advantages.

The current batch of video games seem to encourage superhero characters. I’m sure the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe plays a big role in this. Perhaps the popularity of anime is also a factor.

A lot of games now is about the single hero taking on piles of enemies using powerful combo moves that obliterate their opponents. People are getting used to big flashy effects and multiple attacks.

Now people want a group of superheroes and Larian is providing that. Of course that just means, the game will have more unusually powerful enemies and “boss” fights. It’s no longer about a group of adventurers seeking fame and fortune that become greater than the sum of their abilities due to their combined resources.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 25/04/21 05:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
Aha! I see now the issue. D&D is supposed to simulate reality in a fantasy world. It is not meant to be super heroes jumping thirty feet and throwing 30 pound barrels.

But that's popular now. I get it. That's why we're having so many issues out here. Larian is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

D&D is NOT about super heroes. It is about characters who start out barely better than amateurs who grow and learn and become more powerful as they gain experience. By the end of the story, that is when they do more incredible things. Not the beginning. Im the beginning, characters need to be more limited so that by the end they have some place to go.

Don't even called it D&D if you are going super hero route.

Last edited by GM4Him; 25/04/21 08:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

The current batch of video games seem to encourage superhero characters. I’m sure the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe plays a big role in this. Perhaps the popularity of anime is also a factor.

A lot of games now is about the single hero taking on piles of enemies using powerful combo moves that obliterate their opponents. People are getting used to big flashy effects and multiple attacks.

Now people want a group of superheroes and Larian is providing that. Of course that just means, the game will have more unusually powerful enemies and “boss” fights. It’s no longer about a group of adventurers seeking fame and fortune that become greater than the sum of their abilities due to their combined resources.
Marvel being popular doesn't mean players want every game to be Marvel though. Players can also appreciate more down to earth fantasy games. Games need variety. Worst thing that could happen is everything turning into the same because market research says X sells 11% more.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, but as you read a lot of these posts, it makes sense now. There are a lot of players fighting against the true 5e rules because they like their characters being super heroes who can do,away more than is even remotely realistic, like eating a rack of ribs or a cheese wheel in less than 3 seconds.

Each round is supposed to equal about 6 seconds, but many are upset that we want Larian to not allow players to do things like eat food as a Bonus action.

Likewise, some players are upset if we want Larian to put realistic time limits on things, like the druid ritual not lasting an infinite number of days until you, the player, get around to maybe doing something to stop at.

It makes sense to me, know, that the issue is that players right now don't want realism, they want to just be super heroes who can do no wrong. They want to take all the time in the world and still save the day.

Oh, I am sorry if this offends, but it is seriously an aha moment for me. I now think I have at least a better idea of why we are running into so many issues on these posts with people who are fighting against making the game more real.

So the bottom line, Larian, is who you really trying to appeal to? Are you trying to appeal to D&D fans or super hero fans? Pick none. You cant make both happy. You cant have D&D realism and such without limiting the gameplay more and taking out the crazy super hero stuff. They are like the antithesis of one another.

P
addict
addict
P
D&D is NOT about super heroes. It is about characters who start out barely better than amateurs who grow and learn and become more powerful as they gain experience. By the end of the story, that is when they do more incredible things. Not the beginning. Im the beginning, characters need to be more limited so that by the end they have some place to go.

Don't even called it D&D if you are going super hero route.

I mean I get what your saying, but lets be honest here. D&D characters are not "normal" people. Normal people can't cast fireballs, vanish, or have low level super strength. I think it is a little unfair to compare, or to insinuate, Larian is making a "superhero" game and basically tricking people into buying it by saying it is D&D.

As for D&D fans, they are like any other passionate fandom (Star Trek, Star Wars, Tolkien etc) and if something doesn't match 100% to canon, they flip their sh&t and overreact. They would have been comparing this game to POE, KM, Solasta regardless. It is a human tendency to do so to justify their position or beliefs as being "correct". Seriously, this is no different than two people arguing whether or not Han shot first.

Well said.

A
addict
addict
A
You cant have D&D realism and such without limiting the gameplay more and taking out the crazy super hero stuff. They are like the antithesis of one another.
What is D&D realism, though? Realism in a fictional setting is build by using a consistent set of rules (and I don't mean combat mechanics, but laws of your fictional reality), which you then apply to whatever story you create. So if you want to explain why a character cannot jump this high, then you need also to explain how, by the same rules, that giant red dragon is flying by flapping its wings, considering the sheer body size and shape. Why doesn't it look like a pterosaur instead?

veteran
veteran
Oh. Now you're just being mean. Overreact? Come on.

What's your favorite game, story, etc.? Have someone come along and mess with its. See how quickly you get upset. I feel for Star Wars fans. I am one. I feel for Star Trek fans. I am one.

At is VERY upsetting when some outsider comes along and doesn't respect your franchise and takes it and runs with it ina direction you don't like. It's like sports people who invest a ton into their favorite team only to have some rich jerk from another city buy their team and completely revamp it or even just trade someone awesome to a whole different team. Of course they het upset.

But that is so not the point and you obviously do not really understand D&D at all. The idea is regular people put themselves into the roll of a fantasy character. Though they can do some incredible things that we cant do in Earth, the world and game are still supposed to simulate reality.

I mean, imagine Han Solo in Star Wars jumping thirty feet through the air while fighting Boba Fett. Anyone watching would be shocked and think how unbelievable it is. He is also a fantasy character, but people would be upset and think the movie was dumb if he did this because there is not valid explanation and it breaks the rules established in the story. Luke can do these things, but Han can't because of established rules.

Likewise, in Faerun, a d&d world, characters cannot jump 30 feet like super heroes, drop behind someone and attack. That is against established rules for this world.

So the point is, you don't take on someone else's story unless you understand the rules they established for their world. If you don't respect the established lore you disrespect the creators and the fan base.

stranger
stranger
Being able to shove a guy and punch another in the same round is far from the "superhero" feats I expect of an actual comic book character.

veteran
veteran
Im talking jumping 30 feet through the air, landing behind an enemy and still slashing them. Im talking throwing barrels full of oil or water 30 feet through the air at enemies. Im talking eating an entire cheese wheel in 3 seconds because a Bonus Action is all it takes and a Bonus action is supposed to be an action that is maybe 3 seconds at most.

As it is, D&D allows a lot of things to take place per second round. You try to run 30 feet, swing a sword, and drink a potion all on 6 seconds. But that is what D&D already allows IF you follow the actual 5e rules. Allowing people to attack twice with the same weapon and run 30 feet or even jump 30 feet is utterly super heroic.

These are the kinds of things that are totally unrealistic.

Last edited by GM4Him; 25/04/21 11:40 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Marvel being popular doesn't mean players want every game to be Marvel though. Players can also appreciate more down to earth fantasy games. Games need variety. Worst thing that could happen is everything turning into the same because market research says X sells 11% more.

Sure. I'm just saying there's a trend.

Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I mean I get what your saying, but lets be honest here. D&D characters are not "normal" people. Normal people can't cast fireballs, vanish, or have low level super strength. I think it is a little unfair to compare, or to insinuate, Larian is making a "superhero" game and basically tricking people into buying it by saying it is D&D.

As for D&D fans, they are like any other passionate fandom (Star Trek, Star Wars, Tolkien etc) and if something doesn't match 100% to canon, they flip their sh&t and overreact. They would have been comparing this game to POE, KM, Solasta regardless. It is a human tendency to do so to justify their position or beliefs as being "correct". Seriously, this is no different than two people arguing whether or not Han shot first.

D&D itself has followed the trend. I kind of started with 3.5e but it really got more "superheroish" in 4e and now 5e. Magic was actually pretty hard to learn and get way back when. It's just becoming more and more normal for D&D characters to be able to cast spells. I mean practically every subclass can cast spells and all the new ones have magical abilities.

I do think Larian likes flashy, superhero type games. It's why they like giving players a whole bunch of actions per turn. It's to create a character that can perform lots of tricks at once.

And honestly, I don't understand why you continue to passively aggressively bash D&D fans. All that was stated was that certain movies and trends have pushed the genre to a new direction and some agreed with me. If anything, you are the one who seems to go nuts every time someone brings up a point you disagree with. There's no need for that.

Originally Posted by ash elemental
What is D&D realism, though? Realism in a fictional setting is build by using a consistent set of rules (and I don't mean combat mechanics, but laws of your fictional reality), which you then apply to whatever story you create. So if you want to explain why a character cannot jump this high, then you need also to explain how, by the same rules, that giant red dragon is flying by flapping its wings, considering the sheer body size and shape. Why doesn't it look like a pterosaur instead?

What you and GM4Him are talking about is verisimilitude. A character in D&D cannot jump super lengths because the setting decided not to and even created a spell to perform jumping feats. The rules aren't exactly consistent using real physics. That's bringing real life science into a fictional setting. A red dragon can fly with smaller wings because the setting allows it to seem plausible but chose not to make superjump characters normal.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 25/04/21 11:40 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
[quote=1varangian]

And honestly, I don't understand why you continue to passively aggressively bash D&D fans. All that was stated was that certain movies and trends have pushed the genre to a new direction and some agreed with me. If anything, you are the one who seems to go nuts every time someone brings up a point you disagree with. There's no need for that.

Where in my post did I go nuts? I am so sick of this snowflake attitude where someone posts a comment you don't like, and they are somehow being "passive agressive" and other BS. Seriously, if you see something "offensive" or "insulting" about a simple comment about fandoms being touchy about canon, than you really need to get thicker skin. Honestly, the only one that has resorted to insulting someone is you to me. Not to mention, more than likely I was playing D&D when you where riding your moms lap. I just don't project my need for recognition onto a video game that doesn't meet my expectations of what fantasy world I play in because *gasp* you can jump a little far......Is that passive aggressive enough for you.

veteran
veteran
Wow. I am sorry if I upset you in any way. This is so not worth it. It is just a video game. Whether they follow the rules or not and they make it like all the characters are superheroes I'm still going to play the game.

old hand
old hand
Ultimately it's about making a good game and whether or not things are fun and balanced and makes sense. Sadly, a lot of the homebrewing screws stuff up and makes things repetitive and un-fun. Some of the homebrewing is pretty good, though. The "special attacks" with various weapons adds a fun new dimension in combat. The race to the top is just tedious when every battle seems to have a million vertical places, and with this comes the adv/disadv obviously, and the trolly jumping over enemies, stepping behind them and getting advantage attacking their flank if they have no other enemy in close proximity is just ridiculous.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Cool it down a bit please, everyone. Discuss the game's attributes, not each other's.

J'aime le fromage.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Where in my post did I go nuts? I am so sick of this snowflake attitude where someone posts a comment you don't like, and they are somehow being "passive agressive" and other BS. Seriously, if you see something "offensive" or "insulting" about a simple comment about fandoms being touchy about canon, than you really need to get thicker skin. Honestly, the only one that has resorted to insulting someone is you to me. Not to mention, more than likely I was playing D&D when you where riding your moms lap. I just don't project my need for recognition onto a video game that doesn't meet my expectations of what fantasy world I play in because *gasp* you can jump a little far......Is that passive aggressive enough for you.

There's so much wrong here but I'll let it go and grow a thicker skin. wink

Wow. I am sorry if I upset you in any way. This is so not worth it. It is just a video game. Whether they follow the rules or not and they make it like all the characters are superheroes I'm still going to play the game.

Very true. I basically come here to offer my opinions and shoot the breeze to discuss where I'd like the game to go. Obviously, I'll still play BG3 since I bought it but at least for me, it won't have any longevity. I'll play it for the story once and that'll pretty much be it because some of the mechanics (chain grouping) is very annoying.

But back to the original point of this thread, 5e rules definitely can work and I have a hard time believing in good faith that Larian made a serious attempt to implement it. I'd say that's just me but there are others who seem to agree.

veteran
veteran
The game has SO much replayability it is sad to hear you may only play through once. I mean, I get the mechanics are a bit on need of some work, but there are so many story paths.

This is why I am out here trying to fight for cleaned up rules though. There are so many games out there that people can play that are more DOS-ish. I have literally been waiting for a good D&D TB game for a LONG time. Every stinking game has been RTWP or hack/slash or mmo... I haven't played a solid D&D TB game since Pool of Radiance.

Now I finally get one, and they don't do the rules right. THAT's why I get passionate about it. Besides Solasta and BG3, there aren't a whole lot of them. I really want some good old fashioned D&D played the way D&D has always been played. One round at a time.

And frankly, from a story perspective and delivery, Larian is the better DM.

Last edited by GM4Him; 26/04/21 03:48 AM.
B
Banned
Banned
B
It really doesn't matter if Solasta or BG3 have "better" mechanics, since "better" is subjective anyway.

What matters is that Larian claimed from the get-go that BG3 was a "faithful adaptation of D&D 5e rules". Which is isn't.

Larian lied. Period.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard