Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
...noisily munches bag of crisps while lesbianily observing the goings on...

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by teclis23
The "politically correct crap" i am referring to is this:

- BG2 had a darker adult theme and larian appear to be attempting to pander to all age groups eg children and teens aswell, this has resulted in watered down non confrontational woke content being written.

- The year is 2021 and political correctness is increasingly ruining entertainment movies and video games. Just look at hollywood to see how crap movies are these days for this very reason. Studios cant do anything anymore that is considered controversial.

- There is an over-representation of diversity and equality in BG3. If studios want to go down this path they have to do it so it is not in your face like it currently is with BG3 otherwise it takes the attention away from the game. For example the last star wars movies where woke disasters but game of thrones pulled the diversity and equality thing of really well. You never had woke garbage in your face in game of thrones like starwars did but they where just as diverse.
ooooooooooooooooh boy. I'm not going to comment on your first two points because there's just so much to unpack in your third point.

- First of all, you're using GoT as an example of success? Really? GoT is widely considered to be absolute trash past season 5. It was good in seasons 1-3, but even still...[see next point]
- Second, most of the main characters in GoT are white (with the lead black actors playing slaves), so it's...uhhh...not really a great example of a show that "pulled the diversity and equality thing off really well."
- Third, Rogue One had a very (one might say "over-") diverse cast and is arguably the best recent Star Wars movie.
- Fourth, Star Wars episodes 8&9 were so bad because of hack writing, not forced-diversity. Take Finn's love interested in ep. 8: that was a bad plot line and detracted from the movie. However, this was clearly because of the forced romance and not diversity. It's the same as in the Hobbit with Legolas's love interest (for which you can't claim forced racial diversity is the problem). In fact, this is more of an example of anti-wokeness in Star Wars, as it was probably added to preclude a relationship between Finn and Rey.

B. You do choose you sexual orientation at game creation go have a look. They do it not so bluntly and the decision you make when you do this will effect romances dialogues. This is plain as day. I dont understand how you are saying this is not the case.
You definitely do not choose your sexual orientation at game creation. You choose a person who attracts you, sure, but this affects absolutely nothing gameplay-wise. There are multiple threads discussing the playersexuality of the companions and how the PC can romance any of them regardless of either character's gender/preferences.
If this is not the case, then please give an example of dialogue that is changed because of this character creation decision.

Also there is the huge push for gender diversity in this game aswel. I think that D&D is mainly considered a males game with over 80% of the player base being male. I dont have a problem with female npcs and PCs and feminsitic qualities but you need to remember this is a male dominated area of interest. I mean the equivalent would be adding an over-representation of male actors in a female romance movie or chick flick.

80%? Where are you getting this number? Let's assume that's correct. That means there's a large portion of the population not interested in the product as is. Wouldn't it make business sense to expand your customer base?

Even so, I'm not sure that they HAVE catered to females. You seem to imply there's an over-representation of females in this game. Do you mean that there are too many female npcs in this game? I mean . . . I haven't counted, but even if there ARE more female npcs, it's not to such a degree as to be noticeable. What's the problem?

veteran
veteran
New reddit post related to the thread.

Not about this (uninterresting and) unrelated "debate" about male and female and sexuality and diversity... About dialogs/cinematic in the game.

Feel free to up/downvote.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat..._medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/04/21 05:12 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Okay, this should stop now.

Arguments are being made that cannot be supported with reliable data, and the whole tone of the argument is on extremely shaky ground in terms of reliability and its contribution to friendly discussion of the BG3 game.

Let's drop this gender-proportion diversion and return to the thread's original topic.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
New reddit post related to the thread.

Not about this (uninterresting and) unrelated "debate" about male and female and sexuality and diversity... About dialogs/cinematic in the game.

Feel free to up/downvote.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat..._medium=android_app&utm_source=share
Interesting. There are a lot of downvoted comments simply saying "I agree." So far it seems like the reddit users want these one-line cinematics. I'm surprised the post itself didn't get downvoted to oblivion...

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
From the reddit thread having lots of upvotes but also the comments in agreement having downvotes, it's difficult to say what the consensus is. Perhaps Larian could put out a survey or something?

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Sabra
DnD is not a "male's game". I'm a woman that plays DnD in a group with more women than men. I've known plenty of women that play DnD. It would be ill-advised for WoTC and Larian to alienate roughly half the world's population from their product. Women play video games and table top games too. Saying that it is a "male's game" and that the game should be changed to suit some kind of male fantasy is dangerous. Actual statistics of men vs women who play video games do not support this dangerous assumption. Rather, the proportion of video gamers of either gender is growing closer to 50/50 over time. While this varies by franchise (I think this reddit post is interesting), it's in the best interest of companies to include the significant proportion of the population (women) that may consume their product. See these two articles:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/gaming-no-longer-a-mans-world-1408464249
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games#Survey_data

In the game, you don't choose your sexual orientation. You design a character to serve a narrative element in the story. Everything about the character is up to you and your roleplay. I don't know what gay and lesbian content you're talking about, unless it's advances from the companions. You don't have to engage in such content.

Although I really can't find anything I can agree with from the poster you are responding to, his numbers are way off to begin with. But the most recent survey of players for the game was like 67% male, 32% female, 1% non binary. So women are about half of the playerbase, not the fraction he was stating. But the majority of players is male (though the difference between the two are shrinking every year).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

Oh we ALL see you over there being all lesbian-y smile

On topic, good lord people, why is sexuality in video games such a hot topic for some? Who cares who wants to bang/be with who? Also, I officially hate the word "woke".

Last edited by Boblawblah; 26/04/21 11:24 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Although I really can't find anything I can agree with from the poster you are responding to, his numbers are way off to begin with. But the most recent survey of players for the game was like 67% male, 32% female, 1% non binary. So women are about half of the playerbase, not the fraction he was stating. But the majority of players is male (though the difference between the two are shrinking every year).
Having just requested that the gender divide argument be dropped, I will now suggest that continuing it is unwise.

Drop it from this thread now. Next offender gets a short holiday.

It you absolutely must discuss such things (and feel that you can do so in a polite and reasoned manner), use the Chat or RPG Chat areas, not the BG3 area.

addict
addict
Personally I prefer BG2 cinematics and cutscenes. Used sparingly, at key moments and really matched nicely with the game atmosphere.BG3 feels like a telltale soap opera.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Personally I prefer BG2 cinematics and cutscenes. Used sparingly, at key moments and really matched nicely with the game atmosphere.BG3 feels like a telltale soap opera.

i agree the cut-scenes arent immersive and impact-full enough and the writing is poor at best

enthusiast
enthusiast
I love the cinematics. Leave the good things alone.

journeyman
journeyman
I was actually quite happy to see an RPG with a world where I can see people and settings up close. That really adds to the immersion for me. I somewhat recently (about a year ago) played PoE, and although I liked the story/characters and loved the role-playing options, I did not find the actual setting as immersive as I would have liked.

I love the opening movie in BG3. I like many of the in-game cutscenes, but some need some work on the details of gestures, props, and camera position. I do agree that some of the brief cutscenes (e.g. the new ones for Speak with the Dead) seem unecessary. I'd rather see them refine the animation of the existing ones and just have some of the one-line comments from people remain in-world (as opposed to going to a mini-cutscene).

Unfortunately, it always seems to be a trade-off between immersive role-playing and immersive environment/interactions. So I'm happy to have some games do it one way and some another for some variety. For me, it's time for a more cinematic RPG.

veteran
veteran

Underrated comment. May I have a crisp please?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

No.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

No.

Aww. Would have make the keyboard keys greasy anyway.

So instead I'll say I would like to have more walls of text in the game. I'm liking that the game has more lore books -- devs, please trust us to read. Put in more books and make them longer.

V
V
I would really like an option to turn these cinematics off. I mean they are ok sometimes, but sometimes are quite cringy and do no favor to the immersion. Optional isometric dialog would be really nice.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Originally Posted by VenusP
I would really like an option to turn these cinematics off. I mean they are ok sometimes, but sometimes are quite cringy and do no favor to the immersion. Optional isometric dialog would be really nice.
That's actually would be wonderful. Some cinematics are clearly necessary (like Goblin attack on Grove) but if we could have all those "generated" dialogues presented from top down view (as some minor conversations were in EA) I would very much like that I think. I found those less distracting and disorienting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard