Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#771227 27/04/21 12:43 PM
Vashtin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
This suggestion is to remove the perception notification above all the characters head. The whole idea of Perception is if you notice something or not. By having a failed Perception Check appear above the Characters the game is telling the Player that they are missing something outside of the game. This removes immersion and makes the player actively try and achieve a positive perception roll with all the characters or re-summon familiars till you succeed.

I suggest you remove the Perception notification of either failure or succession. The only thing that should happen on Succession is the character comments out loud and the item then gets highlighted to notify the player. (If the player misses the item then that just means his Real Life Perception was to low) On a Failed roll there should be nothing that pops up. No failed Roll notification, No Comment, Nothing. The Characters should just continue on like they don't notice anything.

veteran
veteran
+1 but I don't really care to see the check if it's sucessful.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
It's been a while since I played table top DnD but every time we heard the DM rolling dice while we were exploring we thought maybe we should be more alert in this area.

I like seeing the Perception checks. This is a clear example of how badly we need the "Difficulty" setting implemented in the game even during Early Access. "Normal" and harder: don't show checks. "Relaxed (or whatever)" and easier: show the checks.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Bumblephist
It's been a while since I played table top DnD but every time we heard the DM rolling dice while we were exploring we thought maybe we should be more alert in this area.

I like seeing the Perception checks. This is a clear example of how badly we need the "Difficulty" setting implemented in the game even during Early Access. "Normal" and harder: don't show checks. "Relaxed (or whatever)" and easier: show the checks.

I used to randomly throw dice or flip through my notes as a DM just to confuse my players because of exactly what you described.

Setting options would be a good solution.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 27/04/21 05:48 PM.
veteran
veteran
I don't want a separate toggle for stuff like this.

It needs to be a part of a difficulty setting. So I can just select hardcore or RAW D&D and get everything that's included in the package. Without having to micromanage every little detail or get tempted by switching easy perception back on for some particularly important check.

What I really don't want is having to vote on individual toggles in a multiplayer game where everyone had a preference.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I agree this should totally be an option. Even if everyone fails the perception check you'll still know there's likely a trap around.

veteran
veteran
Optional ... w/e ...
Just removed? Nah. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
As an option, I would welcome it. Just removed I wouldn't cause I appreciate it, it feels like the DM saying, "Everyone, please roll perception." That said, on top of this I would LOVE for there to be a better log so we can see what each character rolled, for what, and what was said or highlighted, with said log being customizable so people who don't want to know that do not have to.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Difficulty toggle sure, everything else I'm against. To me its unnecessary punishment for not literally checking every square inch with every character. It would boggle me down for sure. It promotes meta gaming which breaks my immersion.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 27/04/21 09:57 PM.
Vashtin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Im not asking for removal of the highlighted are and the character voicing out.. just the representation above the head when a perception is failed or passed. Also to counter the meta gaming problem A successful roll (either you or companion) Could promt a Companion to go up to the perception.

Ex: I notice the door lever on the back wall of the ruins and call out to your companions letting them know its there and one of them could run up to it.

If no one gets a perception roll that succeeds then there should not be a promt because that also breaks immersion.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Nope. That's removing the notification and having the computer do it for you.

It's better as is. I have input simulating exploration loosely and notified somethings up. That's better for me than what you are purposing.

You could try thinking you are perceptive enough to be alert, but not perceptive to spot it for RP.

I love RP so I'm happy to brainstorm something till your satisfied if you want.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 28/04/21 03:16 AM.
veteran
veteran
I agree to remove. If a DM CAN do hidden rolls, they should. That's the point of hidden checks.

veteran
veteran
What's the point in failing a perception check anyway, if you're going to run your entire party to the fail spot, with guidance buffs, or reload. There is no failure, there is only tediously making sure you succeed.

Of course they need to be hidden, but the radius could perhaps be bigger to give a fair chance without having to walk on every single floor tile. Higher skills could even have a larger radius.

If it was your first time through an area then you wouldn't know that you failed a check, so why reload the save?

Hidden checks should be the norm. Keep it there in story mode, turn it off for the rest. Otherwise, I'm just going to spam my imp until I pass.

Vashtin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Aishaddai

It's better as is. I have input simulating exploration loosely and notified somethings up. That's better for me than what you are purposing.

You could try thinking you are perceptive enough to be alert, but not perceptive to spot it for RP.

Hmm How about this.. Since there is always going to be Reloads in this situation we take that out of account and only consider the first run through in the conversation. Do you think summons should always be considered new creatures that get a new persuasion check every time they are summoned again.

The whole idea of a perception check is to notify you of something you do not notice. So what if all the things a perception check would allow to happen (breakable wall, moveable rock, stash in a tree trunk) could happen without the check but was not highlighted or commented about by Companions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Vashtin

Hmm How about this.. Since there is always going to be Reloads in this situation we take that out of account and only consider the first run through in the conversation. Do you think summons should always be considered new creatures that get a new persuasion check every time they are summoned again.

The whole idea of a perception check is to notify you of something you do not notice. So what if all the things a perception check would allow to happen (breakable wall, moveable rock, stash in a tree trunk) could happen without the check but was not highlighted or commented about by Companions.

Hmm wait you mean reloading encounters? Or do you mean treasure?

For encounters I wouldn't reload and let things play out. If you get total party wiped due to a cascading punishment from a perception check then the DM or I guess Larian is the problem and they hate you.

If its treasure couldn't you just back later before the act ends to sweep for treasure? A resummon like find familiar sounds plausible. A lot of the treasure is hidden by ncps somewhat near by, but I only know that because of speak with dead.

Maybe its an incentive to speak with more ncps including animals or kill them? As a completionist this bothers me a little, but as a player maybe certain treasures are rewards for certain play styles. So speak with dead, speak with animals, murder, quests, and perception itself?

In terms of notification I can only guess Larian's intention. My guess would be that the roll above the head is in your face on purpose. Some people play zoomed out and Some zoomed in. Dialogue is easily missed.

If it were up to me, I'd make a compromise. Remove the roll above the head but add a chat log similar to the combat log. Keep the highlights on the field. Display passive checks in the "exploration/dialogue" log. If a party member spots something highlight said thing and have a voice line for it.

Hows that sound?

Vashtin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Vashtin

Hmm wait you mean reloading encounters? Or do you mean treasure?

For encounters I wouldn't reload and let things play out. If you get total party wiped due to a cascading punishment from a perception check then the DM or I guess Larian is the problem and they hate you.

If its treasure couldn't you just back later before the act ends to sweep for treasure? A resummon like find familiar sounds plausible. A lot of the treasure is hidden by ncps somewhat near by, but I only know that because of speak with dead.

Maybe its an incentive to speak with more ncps including animals or kill them? As a completionist this bothers me a little, but as a player maybe certain treasures are rewards for certain play styles. So speak with dead, speak with animals, murder, quests, and perception itself?

In terms of notification I can only guess Larian's intention. My guess would be that the roll above the head is in your face on purpose. Some people play zoomed out and Some zoomed in. Dialogue is easily missed.

If it were up to me, I'd make a compromise. Remove the roll above the head but add a chat log similar to the combat log. Keep the highlights on the field. Display passive checks in the "exploration/dialogue" log. If a party member spots something highlight said thing and have a voice line for it.

Hows that sound?

YES!! Having a chat log that records all roll checks would be fantastic.. It would also feel more immersive to D&D because it would allow you to actually see what you rolled instead of just being told you passed or failed. when a D20 pops up and I make a roll in game it gives me Table Top vibes even if its RNG, but when a pass or fail check pops up it feels much more game oriented. If they just showed the rolls in a chat log that would solve alot of immersion issues as well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Lets hope Larian see's this then.

After some time has past post this idea again cause I'll just forget. Maybe between patchs? Hope we can make this happen.

V
V
Yes, good idea. +1

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
M
M
It would be a nice option to hide the pop-up, especially for failed checks so +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard