Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
VenusP Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Origin characters is an attempt to appeal to mass market. And it’s ok, let them dollars come into the coffers. Just a little bit of inspiration taken from the originals in terms of companions’ personalities and their backstories won’t hurt anybody and will be cool to play instead of demon lords.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Malrith
I am honestly enjoying playing the 'normal' person of the bunch... and, as others have already said, these aren't normal companions but playable characters that have been designed with personal quests and so that you can experience something new from their perspective when playing as them as your origin characters.
Also, playing with a group of 'superheroes/supervillains' is very common in tabletop rpgs in general, when those that sit around the table and the GM agree to entwine their crazy elaborare backstories into the narrative which is an approach that I enjoy.
By looking at the companions, I can almost imagine the type of player that would create them and I personally find that quite charming.

Ah yes... I am about to have my first DnD session ever (and I am starting as DM, no less) and my players REALLY cut out my work for me.

I have a thiefling warlock (with her own homebrewed devil patron and her own cult dedicated to said devil) as my most normal individual. An aasimar rogue that is (unknowingly) directly related to Ashmedai while being a servant of the Raven Queen, a half-orc blood hunter and a tabaxi cleric.

I was using Forgotten Realms as my chosen world, so needless to say... I been doing *A LOT* of homebrewing so that my player can play the characters they wanna play.

I also had to go from them meeting up in a regular tavern to have them being on a exotic slave boat (because how else would I fit all of these special creatures at the same place at the same time? XD). It is challenging to say the least - but hey, as long as my players are having fun. I sure will when voicing all of the NPCs looking at their group of freaks roaming town.

And I thought my first session would be easy since everybody apparently just "make themselves into an RPG character" on their first session.. WELL, NOT MY GROUP - that's for sure! X'D

... On the bright side - this experience makes the BG3 companionship seem a lot less weird."Vampire spawn? Pfff, try being an aasimar in a universe where they don't even exist. The lover of a goddess? Hah, I am the chosen of my own personal Devil and have an entire cult kneeling at my feet."

Last edited by Dez; 06/05/21 11:09 PM.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Originally Posted by Dez
... On the bright side - this experience makes the BG3 companionship seem a lot less weird."Vampire spawn? Pfff, try being an aasimar in a universe where they don't even exist. The lover of a goddess? Hah, I am the chosen of my own personal Devil and have an entire cult kneeling at my feet."

Exactly XD
I do get that some people prefer simpler stories and simpler characters... heck, in general I do too and that's what I am trying to have in my current BG3 playthrough: I'm playing as a human wizard and only recruited Shadow, Wyll and Gale, completely skipping Astarion and Lae'zel. My char is just a normal scholar at the beginning, no great aspirations or talent (I intentionally made a super weird build all about acid, necrotic and poison, even having a frog/spider/rat familiar summoned at all times) but she will really get sucked into studying the tadpole/absolute's cult kinda like Nettie and Halsin are doing. Like, she's basically a chemist/magic disease researcher more than anything else and I am enjoying the synergy with the companions so far. Its a very different playthrough from the others I tried and I still enjoy that the companions are 'weirder' and more extravagant than my PC.

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard