stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by grysqrl
Originally Posted by Cyberbird
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Solasta ? Not a story driven RPG ?

There's nothing else to do than being driven by the story^^

Sorry i didn't get your point. It's a game about tactical combat, if u just skip all dialogues you won't miss much. Same as if you read everything, you won't get much))
I read everything in Solasta and I get a story. It's not a complicated story, but it doesn't have to be. It's certainly enough to tie the pieces of the game together and give you some motivation to go around doing things. I wouldn't say it's about tactical combat, it just happens to do that really well and everything else is adequate.
Actually it has to be. That's why the developers of Solasta said, that "this game about tactical combat, like X-com series". So either they have no clue what they developed, or not complicated story is simply good for you to call that game story driven or story focused rpg game.

Last edited by Cyberbird; 06/05/21 06:30 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh great, a semantic argument where everyone more or less agrees except about trivial minutia.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Ankou
Oh great, a semantic argument where everyone more or less agrees except about trivial minutia.
In this topic yes, you're right. I'm trying to clear this definition out, because when i first heard about solasta i put it in my metaphoricly speaking "A" priority list, but after i read developers description i moved it ty my "C" priority list. So this semantic details are actually important.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
I don't buy it. Sure, Solasta is putting more emphasis on combat and gameplay, but it is no excuse for a bad story. You could say some people care more about one aspect of the game than others, but that does hurt the game's success for sure

You're back.

I don't think the story is at all bad, it's just not the selling point. It's just a classic quest -- powerful artifact and looming disaster. Unwitting low level adventurers somehow end with a crown that could determine the fate of the world.

What was the story of Icewind Dale? Something about a devil wanting to destroy the world? I really can't remember. But I do remember some of the more challenging battles from that game.

For a dungeon crawl, the story isn't bad at all.

veteran
veteran
Story aside, which I agree it is a story game also with dialogue and such, the point is that everyone who plays it says, "Hey yeah. Its combat is solid." So again, that's why we keep bringing Solasta up. It's not to piss Larian off. We're just saying that D&D 5e is fun and CAN be implemented well into a video game.

BG3 beats Solasta hands down on story in my opinion, and I think that's why Tactical Adventures says they are a tactical game, but it definitely beats BG3 on mechanics. If Solasta had more of a budget to focus more on story and scripts, they would have left BG3 in the dust.

I just can't help but go back to Solasta's example to say, "Larian. Wake up. You could blow Solasta away and shut us all up if you fix your game mechanics and make it more like Solasta's."

Great game, mind you.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I just can't help but go back to Solasta's example to say, "Larian. Wake up. You could blow Solasta away and shut us all up if you fix your game mechanics and make it more like Solasta's."

Great game, mind you.
For Baldur's Gate 3 we want a great story with good combat.

Not a great story with cringe-inducing combat.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
For Baldur's Gate 3 we want a great story with good combat.

Not a great story with cringe-inducing combat.

Pretty much. You can write the best story you can, but most people realistically aren't going to bother with more than one playthrough if the combat is is an unbalanced mess at best. Which is extremely bad for a game that would emphasize choices like this one.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 06/05/21 10:06 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Cyberbird
Originally Posted by Ankou
In this topic yes, you're right. I'm trying to clear this definition out, because when i first heard about solasta i put it in my metaphoricly speaking "A" priority list, but after i read developers description i moved it ty my "C" priority list. So this semantic details are actually important.

Yeah, but, this is not a Solasta board so whether it's a C tier or A tier game really doesn't matter to the topic at hand. Its relevance is solely in relation to this game's weakest part, namely, the gameplay. Something we can all agree is very important in a game that you play.

Last edited by Ankou; 06/05/21 11:04 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Story aside, which I agree it is a story game also with dialogue and such, the point is that everyone who plays it says, "Hey yeah. Its combat is solid." So again, that's why we keep bringing Solasta up. It's not to piss Larian off. We're just saying that D&D 5e is fun and CAN be implemented well into a video game.

BG3 beats Solasta hands down on story in my opinion, and I think that's why Tactical Adventures says they are a tactical game, but it definitely beats BG3 on mechanics. If Solasta had more of a budget to focus more on story and scripts, they would have left BG3 in the dust.

Great game, mind you.

So very yes. +1. Or more.

veteran
veteran
If you haven't done so, check out my part of the thread https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=771617&page=3

It details how BG3 could play out for the spider lair if they implemented level 5 cap and D&D 5e rules more accurately.

I think there is something to be said for trying to keep to the 5e rules where they make sense, but I am not at all against changing things for a better experience. Implementing a grid in combat would be welcome, because currently the controls are very awkward.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
veteran
veteran
Seems weird to me that Solasta has so much invested in getting 5e right but not have multiplayer implemented. Single player D&D just feels odd to me, like you have strayed so far from what D&D is meant to be - can it still be considered D&D at this point?

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Seems weird to me that Solasta has so much invested in getting 5e right but not have multiplayer implemented. Single player D&D just feels odd to me, like you have strayed so far from what D&D is meant to be - can it still be considered D&D at this point?
Aren't BG1&2 (arguably the best D&D video games) considered excellent single-player experiences? There's nothing that requires a D&D game to be multiplayer.

Obviously it'd be incredible if Solasta was multiplayer, and even better if a DM could control monsters directly instead of them acting on their AI. But that's simply too much work for their 12-developer studio. Hopefully Tactical Adventure's next game will include multiplayer.

veteran
veteran
I thought it was interesting that all of a sudden they said, "Yeah. EA is over. Oh, BTW. We're not really giving you much more of what you guys asked for in forums. It's not a story RPG. It's a tactical game."

It has a story. It is a fairly good one. It has fun banter and interactions. It is very much a story game, but I guess they were out of funding and decided we are getting what we get, limited faces and voices and all. Maybe down the road we'll get more.

I just really hope BG3 doesn't turn out that way. I want to see this game blow Solasta out of the water like Godzilla using his breath weapon on a fishing boat. I like Solasta, but come on Larian! I'm rooting for BG3!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Aren't BG1&2 (arguably the best D&D video games) considered excellent single-player experiences? There's nothing that requires a D&D game to be multiplayer.

Obviously it'd be incredible if Solasta was multiplayer, and even better if a DM could control monsters directly instead of them acting on their AI. But that's simply too much work for their 12-developer studio. Hopefully Tactical Adventure's next game will include multiplayer.

I get it, different value systems, no big deal. For myself I go with Dan Harmon's (Community, Rick and Morty) definition of D&D from Harmontown where he defines it as "a story we tell together".

For some people D&D is an outlet for artistic expression, vis a vis storytelling. These people are my community, the storytellers, the jokers the ones who act out all kinds of crazy stuff. The beauty of the BG3 system is that it is being BUILT around a solid foundation that supports my form of experiencing D&D in addition to how you want to.

I hope we both get what we want.

Blackheifer
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Nyloth
That's not even including people currently playing other editions of D&D. My point was, 5e D&D has a bigger player base than this game will. So I am suspicious that the decision to deviate so much from the 5e core rules will actually generate larger appeal and sales than just staying faithful to 5e and attracting that audience, along with people not familiar with 5e who enjoy a more balanced game.

Thats why the most popular video games of DnD are ones that deviated from the core rules by a lot right? Oh wait.... BG1 and BG2 didnt. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 didnt either.... hmmm. The most faithful games were by far the most successful DnD games.

All the older DnD video games were faithful to their ruleset and were, for the most part, successful. Name one 5e game fully licensed by WotC that was successful in the slightest. Ill wait.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nimja1
Thats why the most popular video games of DnD are ones that deviated from the core rules by a lot right? Oh wait.... BG1 and BG2 didnt.
Every time someone makes this post you know they either:

1. haven't played BG1 and 2 originals
or
2. haven't played 2e DnD
or
3. less interested in the truth than they are in wielding a rhetorical hammer

there are so many better ways to argue for RAW than continuously perpetuating this myth.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 20/07/21 01:18 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

I agree, I hope they got enough sales and supports to do bigger and better things, like Larian did in the past.

veteran
veteran
I wonder how many people here actually finished Solasta. I couldn't get through the first few hours out of boredom

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
I wonder how many people here actually finished Solasta. I couldn't get through the first few hours out of boredom

I did, but it really has zero replay value and by the end I was pretty bored.

Thinking about it I realized I am either excited to do multiplayer or enjoy a deeper story and Solasta doesn't do multiplayer and the story is very meh.

Blackheifer
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard