Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#771205 27/04/21 07:31 AM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
This is just for fun but maybe also to give some individuals who don't know D&D an idea of what Tabletop D&D 5e is supposed to be like.

The main character of this session is Diadell Tiromen. She is a Wood Elf Rogue, Level 1. Background = Secret Identity, something not offered in BG3 yet anyway. Chaotic Good alignment. Diadell is from Silverymoon in the north. She has been travelling south to meet some of her former companions who she met in those lands. They were separated because Drogyn, her Half-Orc Barbarian friend, and Lynari, her Drow friend, had some sort of pressing business they needed to take care of in Baldur's Gate. Diadell had to wrap up a few things herself before meeting them there. (She is kind of like a Robin Hood, robbing from the rich and giving to the poor, and a rich noble has sent bounty hunters after her.)

Session 1 begins.

Me: You were journeying along on a ship, skimming the Sword Coast. It is a peaceful night. The moon is high in the sky. You are on the top deck, enjoying the breeze in your hair when all at once there is a tearing, ripping sound. You spin and look up to follow the commotion. There, sweeping out of the sky is a... Is that a Nautiloid? Instantly, you feel panic seize you. There is nowhere to go. There is nowhere to run.

Diadell: Um. Heck yeah there is! I jump ship. I spin right back around, plant my hands on the railing and vault off the side. I can swim. You said I'm skimming the shore. I jump right in.

Me: Lol. Ok. Trying to make my life difficult already, I see. Fine. You plant your hands on the railing and vault off the side. A moment later, you crash into the waves and begin swimming with everything you have to escape the ship full of screaming crew as the Nautiloid descends. Make an Athletics roll. DC 10.

Diadell: (Rolls) I rolled an 8.

Me: Your skill is +2. (No proficiency). You made it. You remain afloat.

Diadell: Nope. I'm diving. Screw that.

Me: You know that Nautiloid's going to get you one way or another, right?

Diadell: Yeah. Figured. But I'm not going to make it easy on you. smile

Me: You dive below the waves, swimming as hard as you can. The Nautiloid draws closer. Massive tentacles whip out, and each person they touch vanishes in a puff of black smoke. Then, one of them curls down, stabs the water, and grabs you. There is a strange sensation that overtakes you. For a moment, you feel weightless and disoriented. The next thing you know, you are bound inside a Mind Flayer pod. You can see out the pod's glass. You are inside the ship. It is a circular chamber with other pods and some sort of strange pedestal-like thing in the center. It is about five feet in diameter and looks almost like a dark flower that has yet to bloom. The chamber has a second level that is more like a ring around the center. You can't really tell how you might get to that level. There is only one door out of the room, and it is like a membrane. It is exactly opposite where you are.

Diadell: Can I do anything?

Me: Nope. You are completely stuck.

Diadell: Do I have my equipment at least?

Me: Yes. As you struggle to try to get free, the ship around you vibrates. You can feel it moving about. You get the distinct impression that it may have even just jumped from one plane of existence to another.

Diadell: Crap!

Me: For some time, you fight your panic. Then, all of a sudden, the door opens. To your horror, an Illithid, Mind Flayer, floats into the room. He glides across to the strange pedestal, waves his hand, and it opens to reveal a weird, glowing pool full of swimming, little, tadpoles.

Diadell: (She knows nothing about Mind Flayers) What the heck? What are those things? What are you doing to me?

Me: The mind flayer scoops one of the tadpoles up between two fingers and glides over to one of the nearby pods. With a wave of his hand, he opens the pod to reveal a Githyanki female with brown hair, yellow skin, markings on her face, and reptilian eyes. She is wearing silver armor, and you think you see a longsword strapped to her back. She struggles hard to escape as well, but to no avail. The mind flayer approaches her, lifts the tadpole with his right hand and points his left towards the Gith woman. Her head locks up, as if his left hand is gripping it. He brings the tadpole up to her face. As you watch in horror, the tadpole crawls onto the Gith's cheek and up under her eyelid. She cries out and falls silent as if unconscious.

Diadell: That thing better not do that to me. I don't mind trying to help that Gith chick escape and get that thing out of her, but that better not happen to me.

Me: The Mind Flayer then turns towards you. You freeze. It grabs another tadpole.

Diadell: I'm serious. You better not put that thing in me.

Me: He glides towards you.

Diadell: Then a Beholder busts into the room and shoots him with an eyebeam and freezes him solid in stone.

Me: He forces your eyelids open and your head to not move.

Diadell: I hate you right now.

Me: The tadpole slides around his hand, then onto your cheek. Then it bares its nasty, needle-like teeth and tentacles and shoots up under your eyelid.

Diadell: What are you doing to my new favorite character? When I get free, I'm pulling out my daggers and killing the DM.

Me: Suddenly, the ship rocks. There are explosions from somewhere outside. The Mind Flayer is alarmed. He spins around and tries to close the tadpole pool up, but the whole ship lurches out of control. Another explosion! He is tossed into another pod. It opens to reveal some other person. You can't quite see. Your vision has gone blurry. The Mind Flayer grabs another tadpole and hastens to implant it into this person's eye. He does this to several others in the pods all around the chamber. And then, all at once...

Diadell: A Beholder bursts into the room and...

Me: A dragon bursts into the room, tearing a giant hole in the wall near you. It is a red dragon and it does not hesitate to breathe fire into the chamber, right at the pool full of tadpoles.

Diadell: I've always loved dragons! BURN THEM ALL!!! Can he get the one out of my head too?

Me: Your pod is damaged from the fiery blast, as are the pods of others nearby. The ship lurches again. You see the flaming body of the Mind Flayer fly through the room and smash into another pod across from you. He hits the floor, obviously dead.

Diadell: Yay Dragon!

Me: There is another strange feeling, like the ship just bounced around again. You feel disoriented once more and darkness creeps into your vision. You can feel the tadpole lodging itself somewhere up in your cranium. Something smashes into your pod. It cracks open like a shell. You feel yourself falling into darkness. When you come to, you find yourself at the foot of your pod. The chamber is on fire. You look up to see the pod with the Githyanki is empty. She is nowhere to be seen. Some of the other pods are blackened, sparking with energy from damage they received, or completely empty as well. Carefully, you get to your feet and look around. What would you like to do? You are finally free.

Diadell: I observe the room. (She makes a Perception check before I even say another word.) I rolled an 11 and I am proficient at Perception so I get a +4. 15 total. I have to see some good stuff.

Me: You observe the chamber. Most of it is on fire. You see a chest on the upper level and a ramp up to it behind you. There is no one else alive in the chamber. The mind flayer is now a charred heap not far away. The tadpole pool is on fire. Another ramp near the dead mind flayer leads up to another part of the upper level that is on fire. If you jump over the flames you might be able to reach a body you see up there as well. The person is not moving. They do not appear to be a mind flayer. You can't tell, but they might beholding something.

Diadell: I want all the things, but I better check on the guy on the upper level to see if he's still alive and if he's good. Sounds like the fire could get him first.

Me: As you skirt around the tadpole pool, suddenly, it explodes. Whatever magical energy was sustaining it has just died. Make a Dexterity Savings Throw to avoid damage.

Diadell: +5. (She rolls an 8). 13. Is that enough.

Me: You made it. You only needed a 10. You dive and roll just at the last second, coming to your feet near the Mind Flayer. You rush past its dead body up the ramp to the flames between you and the unconscious man. To get to the man, you need to make an Athletics roll. (Diadell rolls a 4. She gets only a +2.) Ouch. You don't make it. You try to leap over the flames, but you wind up landing in the fire. Um. Let's see. I'm only going to have you take 1d4 fire damage right now.

Diadell: Thanks for not killing me. (She rolls a 2. She has 8 HP to start, so now she only has 6.) Do I catch on fire?

Me: I'll let you make an Acrobatics roll. (She rolls 7 and gets a +5.) Success. No catching on fire this time.

Diadell: Thanks. So I rush up to the guy. Is he okay? Is he dead?

Me: You can tell almost immediately that he's dead. He's a thrall; a man under the control of the mind flayers. His mind is their slave. In a jar he is holding, there is a brain.

Diadell: Nasty! I pick it up and hurl it down to the second floor.

Me: It smashes and the brain slides across the floor into one of the pods. Now what?

Diadell: I take all the things as quickly as I can. I search the guy, the mind flayer and anything else I can see in the chamber that can be searched. Quick search, though.

Me: Roll Perception.

Diadell: (Rolls 14 +4 for Perception) 18. What do I get?

Me: You find 8 gold on the guy, a Potion of Speed on the Mind Flayer and another 13 gold, and the chest has 30 gold, a health potion and a short sword.

Diadell: Short sword any good?

Me: Nope. Just a standard. Nothing special. You also find nearby some strange bulbous items you don't recognize. They are sitting on some sort of table and...

Diadell: Nope. Never mind that. I'm not touching anything that belongs to these things.

Me: Out the door you go and into the next chamber. As you enter, you spot the bodies of imps laying about. There are three of them.

Diadell: Imps? What the heck?

Me: You see a gaping hole in the far side of this chamber. You can see out into a desolate landscape. The heat pouring in through that hole is tremendous. It almost knocks you off your feet. You are definitely not in Faerun anymore.

Diadell: Where am I? Where did you take me? Am I in the Hells? Tell me I'm not in the Hells.

Me: Would you like to explore the room or make your way to the hole.

Diadell: I'm exploring the room. If I can find a way to teleport me back to Faerun in this room, I'm going to do that.

Me: Suddenly, you hear a voice. "We are here. Help us! We are trapped. Help us! Please!" It is coming from your left. There is an upper level to this chamber as well. Some sort of lift is nearby that looks like it can take you up there.

Diadell: Is the voice a male or female?

Me: Sounds almost like a female child, but it's hard to tell.

Diadell: I go up. Can I figure the lift out?

Me: It's easy enough. You don't need to roll. You rush up to this weird pedestal thing that looks like a creepy plant with an eyeball sticking out of the center of the flower. Pressing the eyeball, you hear a sickly click and the lift takes you to the upper level. Once you are on the second level, you see a man with no shirt on laying back in a chair with his head tilted at an odd angle.

Diadell: A man? I thought you said a child and possible a girl.

Me: As you step around to the man's head to get a better look, you are appalled to discover that his skull has been cut open. A pulsating brain is quivering inside.

Diadell: Oh my gosh! That's disgusting.

Me: The voice talks to you again, much louder. "You've come to free us from this place. From this place, you'll free us." Make a Nature roll.

Diadell: +1. Not nice. (She rolls a 4.)

Me: You have no idea what you are experiencing. What is this thing? What do you do now?

Diadell: I guess I ask it, "What are you? Where are you? Am I talking to a man or a woman?"

Me: It says, "I'm a newborn. Born new from this husk. Please. Free us from this body. Hurry. Before they return. They return."

Diadell: Am I talking to the brain? I'm talking to a brain, aren't I?

Me: You are given an impulse, an inspiration. The creature seems to be telling you to free the brain from the man's body.

Diadell: But how?

Me: Make a Medicine check. DC15.

Diadell: Do I want to free it?

Me: That's up to you. You could just leave it or...

Diadell: I feel bad about killing it, but this thing isn't natural. Right? It's a brain! It sounds like a female child in a man's body. I don't know. Fine. I'll save it. (She rolls a Medicine roll. She gets a +2. She rolls a 10.) Well, I didn't make it anyway.

Me: You could just try to break the skull with a Strength check.

Diadell: Fine. I do that. Man! This is sick. (She rolls a 12. Her Strength is 10, so no bonus).

Me: You succeed. The skull cracks open and you stick your hands in and carefully pull the brain free. It makes a slurping, squishy sound and wiggles in your hands. Instinctively, you drop it. It flops on the ground wiggling more until four legs pop out of it, some spikes and tendrils. It shakes itself like a dog, brain goo splattering everywhere around it. (Diadell is just making a face at me. She is thoroughly disgusted.) "Come!" the creature cries. "To the helm! We must go to the helm." Then it begins to scurry over to the lift as if trying to urge you to go.

Diadell: I'm searching the area first for anything I might be able to use. I can't believe I've just helped this brain thing escape from... Wait! The guy! Is the guy alive?

Me: He is quite dead. His body convulses as he moans painfully and dies.

Diadell: Great! So I killed the guy.

Me: He would have died anyway. His head was cut open. So you're searching the area? Make a Perception roll. (She rolls a 7. With her +4, the total is 11.) You find a couple of chests nearby, some more brain jars...

Diadell: I smash them all.

Me: Brain matter is spilled everywhere after you smash the first jar, and the little brain screeches angrily. "Stop that! Don't do that again. Again, you should not do that." Do you still smash more?

Diadell: Fine. No. What else is there?

Me: You pop open the chests and acquire another Potion of Speed, 30 gold. The imps had a crossbow and a short sword, all normal. Then you find some strange tomes. Do you try to pick them up?

Diadell: No. I'm not touching their stuff.

Me: You leave them, then, and make your way towards the exit. There is nothing left for you to do here. The little brain creature follows you around like a puppy. Oh! There is one other thing. As you approach a strange chamber-like object in the room, you see it pulsates with blue light. You can feel its healing properties tingling on your skin. You get the distinct impression that if you just step into it, the chamber will heal you. Do you step in?

Diadell: (She gets a devious grin) I kick the brain thing into it. Not hard. Just more like a scoop with my foot and toss it.

Me: Lol. Make an Unarmed Strike. You get +2 only. (She rolls and gets a 17+2=19.)

Diadell: That had to do it.

Me: You kick it into the machine. It squeals as it goes. Lands on the soft floor. The blue glow engulfs it, and it rushes back out. It is not only completely unharmed but looks healthier and stronger now. "Healed us, you did. You healed us. Thanks."

Diadell: I lost a couple hit points. I guess I'll try it.

Me: You feel the blue glow around you. Then you feel much better. You are full health.

Diadell: Fine. Let's get the frick out of there. I head out the hole in the wall.

Me: Good, because the fire was spreading and it might have sealed you inside if you didn't hurry any faster.

Diadell: You should have told me that before. I wouldn't have played around with the dumb brain thing.

Me: Eh. I wouldn't have let you get trapped in there. Anyway. So, you dart out into the blazing heat. The sulfuric winds blast you. You are on the outside of the ship, along the port side (left side). Suddenly, a red dragon swoops over the top of the ship and dives around, dangerously close to you. Imps are attacking it and chasing it as it continues on its way towards the front. It vanishes from view. Below, you see devils and demons battling. You are definitely in Avernus. You are in the Nine Hells.

Diadell: I really don't like you right now.

-- End of Session 1 --

I'll maybe post more later.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
-- Session 2 Begins --

Me: You make your way along the side of the Nautiloid only a short distance. There is a gap in the walkway. Damage was done to it, creating a 5 foot gap. You can see straight down to the flaming river below. There is no other way to go. You must jump it. Roll Athletics.

Diadell: (She rolls a 4 with only a +2 Athletics) And I fall to my death. Game over. Time to start over.

Me: No. You land on the other side, but you take some damage and fall prone. (I roll 1d4 and get a 3.) You lose 3 HP. Basically, you try to make the jump and land hard on your belly, knocking the wind out of you. Failure doesn't necessarily mean total failure and death you know. It may just mean you take a bit of damage or something bad happens. You get to your feet and race along the outside again. There's another opening in the side of the Nautiloid. It is dark within. You can't really see inside because of the blazing brightness of Avernus all around you. You are almost there when someone drops down from above, blocking your path. It is the Githyanki female you saw in the pod. She says, "Abomination! This is your end." Suddenly, as your eyes lock with hers, you feel a strange sensation. Your head throbs and your skin tingles. Visions rush past: a dragon's wing, a silver sword - and a flash of your face seen through the strange woman's eyes. "My head. What is this... ngh," the Gith says. "Tsk'va. You are no thrall. Vlaakith blesses me this day! Together we might survive. Imps block the path forward." You look past her to see imps moving about in the darkness of the chamber inside the hole in the side of the ship. "You will assist me in destroying them. We must reach the helm before we transform.

Diadell: Oh? I have to assist you?

Me: (Doing my best Lae'zel impersonation) Yes. You WILL assist me. Do you have a choice? We don't have time to talk.

Diadell: I guess not. Wait. What do you mean transform?

Me: (still doing Lae'zel's voice) We carry mind flayer parasites. Unless we escape - unless we are cleansed - our bodies and minds will be tainted and twisted. Within days, we will be ghaik." Seeing you have no idea what a ghaik is, she adds, "Mind flayers."

Diadell: Are you freaking kidding me? I'm going to turn into a Mind Flayer? What the crap?

Me: (as Lae'zel) We can do nothing until we escape. That must be our priority. Your only hope is to work with me.

Diadell: Fine. Then let's not waste anymore time.

Me: (as Lae'zel) First, we exterminate the imps. Then we find the helm and take control of the ship. We will address the matter of a cure for this infection once we reach the Material Plane.

Diadell: Okay. I said let's go.

Me: Then she gestures to the opening. "Lead on," she says. "I will support you."

Diadell: Ah! I see how this is playing out. You want me to draw their attention while you lay in wait. Well, screw that. I'm doing this my way. I sneak into the chamber. I want to try to sneak up and attack the closest one without it seeing me.

Me: Make a Stealth roll. (She rolls a 9 with a +5 for Stealth because she has proficiency. I roll a 12. Imps get a +1 because of Wisdom 12 and have no proficiency in Perception. Therefore, I roll a 13 total.) You succeed in sneaking up behind the closest Imp as he turns his back on you. There are three in total. They are all patrolling the chamber. So you are able to sneak your way up on him from behind, passing from shadow to shadow. Make an attack roll.

Diadell: I'm using both of my short swords I just got. I'm using my Sneak Attack. (She rolls a 9 with +5 to hit for her Short Sword.) 14. Tell me I hit.

Me: AC is 13. That's a hit. Roll for damage.

Diadell: (Rolls a 2d6 and gets a 3 and 1.) I get +3 for my main hand weapon. That's 7 off. He's dead.

Me: Nope. He has 10 HP and is resistant to piercing and slashing weapons. He's not dead. You only do half damage, so you only take off 3. He still has 7 HP. Instead, he screams and spins around. The others are now aware of you. Roll for initiative. (I roll Initiative for each imp and get 8, 4, and 12 as my totals. For Lae'zel, I get a 19 total. Diadell rolls a 15 total.) Lae'zel goes first. She also follows your lead and gets a surprise round. She has moved into position to hit with her bow and fires. (I roll the dice, get a 20.) Natural 20! She has a shortbow, so damage is 2d6 (rolling the 1d6 damage dice twice because of a Critical Hit. I roll a 10. She gets +2 for her attack and damage. So her damage is a total of 6 after resistance is applied.) Imp 1 has only 1 HP left. Lae'zel goes first in initiative order, so she goes again. (I roll a 15 and hit and then roll a 1d6+2 and get a total of 4.) Imp 1 is dead. Your turn.

Diadell: How close is the next closest imp?

Me: Imp 2 is on a raised platform about 10 feet from you. Imp 3 is on the other side of the raised platform. You can't even see him right now.

Diadell: I want my two attacks. Can I reach Imp 3?

Me: If you use your full move to skirt around the raised platform, you can reach him. Yes.

Diadell: Ok. I rush up and attack him with both swords. I want to use my Sneak Attack with my off hand.

Me: Can't do that. You don't have advantage against him nor is an ally flanking him.

Diadell: But I'm coming up on him from behind.

Me: He is aware of you, and as you approach he spins around and faces you. He's watching for you because he knows you're there. You can't surprise him like that.

Diadell: Grrr... Fine. I attack anyway. (She rolls a 12 and a 9.) +5 with both attacks to hit, so 17 and 14 each attack. Hit and hit. (She rolls 2d6, 1d6 for each attack. She rolls a 4 and a 2.) I do 7 and 5 damage.

Me: You apply your damage bonus only on the first attack, your main hand attack. That's how it works. So you do 7 damage on the first and 2 on the second. With damage resistance, you do 3 on the first attack and 1 on the second for a total of 4 HP off. He still has 6 HP.

Diadell: Couldn't I have just slipped past them both? Why am I fighting them?

Me: Lae'zel could not have slipped past. She has very little stealth and Disadvantage on Stealth because of her armor. Oh dang! I forgot the brain creature. (I roll for its initative.) It also goes first. It can move real far and was stealthing it with you. It rushes up to Imp 3 and attacks. (I roll and hit.) It does 2d4+2 damage. (I roll an 8 total.) 4 HP off. The Imp has 2 HP left. That would have been its sneak attack round.

Diadell: So wait! Then I would GET to use Sneak Attack because you just said it came up and flanked Imp 3. (She rolls another 1d6.) 3. So my total damage would have been 10 damage on the first hit and with resistance it would be reduced to 5. I do 2 more damage. He's dead.

Me: You're right. Imp 3 is now dead. Not only that, but now the brain creature gets to go in the normal round. He rushes up to Imp 2. (I roll and miss.) It slashes and misses. The imp dodges. Now it's the imp's turn. It wants to try to get away to a better position to not be attacked by melee weapons. It uses Disengage and flies up into the air. Now it has the ability to see all of you, and you can't reach it with melee weapons. Back to Lae'zel.

Diadell: Wait. He doesn't attack?

Me: No. Disengage is an Action. You can't Disengage and Attack in the same turn. He used his move to avoid letting the brain creature get an Attack of Opportunity on him. He used his Action to get into a better tactical position.

Diadell: Sweet!

Me: Lae'zel moves into the room to get a better shot. She fires again. (I roll a 3.) Miss. Your turn.

Diadell: I drop my swords and pull out my bow. Can I still fire?

Me: Yes. Drawing your weapon is considered a free action as long as you only take one free action. So you could open a door as a free action or draw a weapon, etc.

Diadell: Fine. I shoot. (She rolls a 10 but gets a +5 to hit. She hits and rolls a 1d6 damage +3 for her damage bonus. She rolls 2 for damage, so a 5 total. With resistance, it is only a 2.) Do I get Sneak Attack?

Me: Nope. You have no advantage and no one is within 5 feet of it. Because the Imp is now flying, the brain creature can't do anything to attack. The Imp attacks. He has a crossbow. He fires at you. (I roll a 14. Diadell's AC is 14.) The Imp Hits. (I roll for damage and get a total of 4.) You lose 4 HP.

Diadell: Holy crap! I only have 1 HP left. That fall took 3 and you just did 4 to me. I only have 8. Are you trying to kill me?

Me: You're still alive. It's all good. Lae'zel attacks. (She hits. She does 2 damage total.) 2 off. With your 2 off, he still has 6 HP left. Your turn.

Diadell: I better use a potion. (She rolls 2d4+2 and gets a 3 and 1. The total HP healed is 6.) OK. Now I at least have 7 HP. Can I attack?

Me: Nope. Drinking a potion is an Action.

Diadell: Can I at least take cover?

Me: Yes. You can dive behind the raised platform and crouch. That'll give you full cover and unless it flies directly above you, then he can't hit you. It is his turn again, and he actually chooses to attack Lae'zel now. (I roll and hit and do 7 damage to Lae'zel.) Lae'zel uses a potion (and recovers her HP.) Your turn.

Diadell: I pop up and shoot. (She hits and does 3 damage total with resistance.) 3 HP left. I drop back down. I can do that. Right?

Me: Yes. You're back in full cover. Imp's turn. He shoots and Lae'zel again. (He hits and does 4 damage total.) Lae'zel is just going to shoot. (She misses.) She moves to cover also. Your turn.

Diadell: (She rolls again and hits and does 2 damage) Ugh! Almost dead. Die, you little freak! I scream that after hitting it.

Me: You don't draw its attention. It flies right over Lae'zel and shoots. (The imp does a Critical Hit. I roll a total of 8 damage off Lae'zel.) Lae'zel is down. She is dying.

Diadell: Dang! I don't have a choice, though. I have to kill that dang imp first. (She rolls and hits. She does 2 damage.) I killed it! Thank the gods!

Me: Lae'zel is dying. (I roll a Savings Throw, and fail.)

Diadell: After that fight, I clearly do need her to survive this. I rush up to help her. I'll try to revive her first with a Medicine roll first. If that doesn't work, I still have time to use a potion on her if that fails. Right?

Me: Yes. Roll a Medicine roll to see if you can bandage her up so she isn't dying. (She rolls a 9 and gets a +2 for Medicine because she isn't proficient.) 11. Difficulty to stabilize someone is 10. She's no longer bleeding to death and dying. She is still unconscious, but she at least isn't dying. I will tell you, at this point, that you notice another of those health regeneration chambers not far away.

Diadell: Thank the gods. Can I drag her butt over there?

Me: With the help of the brain creature, you easily drag her over to the chamber. Both you and her feel a rush of healing energy. You are both recovered to full HP. Lae'zel stirs. "You prove surprisingly adequate in battle. Perhaps we stand a chance after all."

Diadell: Adequate? I just saved your butt. Hah!

Me: (As Lae'zel) Let's move. The longer we wait, the worse our chances get.

Diadell: I'm searching the room first. We might need more potions. Hopefully we can find some more.

Me: Right. Make a Perception roll. (I do the same for Lae'zel. Neither of us rolls well. We only get a 4 and 9 total, Diadell getting the 9.) You don't find much this time. There is another potion of healing and a crossbow and axe. That's it. You also discovered another mind flayer and more of the brain creatures around the room, but they are all dead.

Diadell: Ok. Fine. Let's get the frick out of here. Where can we go from here?

Me: There is a broad stairway leading up to the upper deck of the ship. It appears to be the only way out. So you lead the way up to the top deck.

-- End of Session 2 --

old hand
old hand
This probably should be in general or something, not feedback.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
lol. thought I did put it there. Ha! smile

P
addict
addict
P
Honestly, as I've been playing the early access there have been a couple of points where I've thought "I hope someone makes this into a tabletop campaign so I can play it properly one day".

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Lol. Would be pretty sweet. Maybe if Larian or WOTC hires me to do it I will. 😁

Ive been Dming a long time and love to write.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
--Session 3--

Me: You reach the top of the stairs with Lae'zel and the brain creature following you. Suddenly, the blazing skies and top deck assault your vision. For a moment, you are blind. Then a roar catches your attention and stops you cold in your tracks. You shield your eyes with your hand as you look up to see a red dragon swooping over the ship. Strange cannons are firing at it manned by thralls; men and women of various races who are completely controlled by the mind flayers. The dragon spews flames upon the deck in your path as it strafes the ship. Then it spins around and drops onto the front of it. The sheer weight of the dragon breaks that portion of the deck away, sending thralls and imps and brain creatures plummeting down to the surface of Avernus. The dragon then leaps into the air and flies past you, roaring as it goes. The sheer wind it creates with its wings knocks you to the floor. Behind, Lae'zel approaches more calmly. She was not knocked down by the dragon's passing, for she had been further inside the ship at the time. She helps you to your feet. (As Lae'zel) "The helm is that way." She points up and behind you. She then gestures to two sets of stairs, one on either side of where you are. You get to your feet and examine your choices. You can either take the stairs on your left or the stairs on your right. You could also move towards the front of the deck but it is burning. In order to explore the front of the top deck, you'd have to jump the flames. You think you see some bodies over there, though. So you might be able to save someone's life and/or there might be some useful stuff they have equipped. A few dead imps and brain creatures are also on that side of the flames. Which way would you like to go?

Diadell: I'm jumping the flames. (She rolls the dice.) I'm using my Acrobatics and flipping over the flames. I rolled an 8. Do I make it?

Me: You only needed a 10. Yes. You make it. The flames aren't that high and you find a decent spot to jump so that it isn't far of a jump. You reach the first of the bodies. Make a Perception roll to see if you find anything useful. (She rolls a 2.) Ouch! Not very good. Okay. You find a total of 20 gold, a hand axe and a dagger. Doesn't look like you find much of anything good. Make another Acrobatics roll to jump back over the fire. (She rolls a 1.) Ouch! That's only a 6 total. You needed a 10. You failed. You fall prone on the other side and take 1d6 damage. Also, you need to make a Dexterity Savings Throw to avoid catching on fire.

Diadell: Dang! (She rolls 1d6 and gets a 2). 2 HP off. I have 6 left. (She rolls a 19 for her Savings Throw.) Safe. Hah!

Me: Now which way do you want to go. Now that you are facing the stairs, do you take the one on your right or the one on your left?

Diadell: To starboard!

Me: You couldn't just say "left" or "right".

Diadell: Gotta give the DM a hard time. (She grins deviously at me.)

Me: Fine, so you head to your left which is the right side of the ship or the starboard side. As you come around towards the stairs, avoiding fires burning on the top deck, you find a woman clutching her side. "Bull got me. Got me. Bull got me. Gored me with its horns," the woman says. She has a crazed look on her face and her wavy red hair is disheveled and in her face. Lae'zel grabs you by the shoulder. "Leave her. The mind flayers have already gotten to her. Her mind is lost."

Diadell: I ignore her and drop down to help the lady. I have a potion and give it to her, making her drink it.

Me: (As Lae'zel) "You would waste a potion on a thrall? Fool!" She clearly disapproves.

Diadell: Yeah! Screw you! She's dying. Witch!

Me: Lae'zel is about to say something to reply in a rather nasty and violent manner when suddenly the red haired woman jumps to her feet. "Time to put that bull down, Love!" she cries and then darts away from you...right off the side of the ship. She plummets to the ground far below without so much as a scream.

Diadell: What?! Are you serious?

Me: (As Lae'zel in my best condescending manner) I warned you, didn't I? Tsk! Fool! Now you've wasted our resources. We could have used that potion. Her mind was lost. There was no helping her. Are you going to waste all of our time and resources on every mind controlled fool on the ship? If so, I might be better off without you.

Diadell: (Sarcastically) Don't we need to hurry to the helm? I'm not sure, but I think we might just not have time to sit here and listen to your nagging. I say that and then I take off running up the stairs before she can say another word.

Me: You reach the next level up of the top deck and find a group of imps off to your right floating around over some fallen human guy. More sharply to your right and slightly behind you, you see a group of thralls operating cannons and firing at dragons and imps. Brain creatures are supervising them, it would seem. Flames cut off your path to them. Straight ahead and just to the left you see bodies and what looks like a doorway. Directly in front of you is a massive viewport revealing the helm beyond, but the only way it seems to get to it might be the door ahead and just to the left. It looks like there once was a way off to the right near where the imps are, but it has been collapsed.

Diadell: After the incident with the red haired lady, I'm pressing on towards the door on the left. Besides, I don't want Lae'zel to nag me anymore. That's her name, right? I don't think she actually introduced herself, but you've been calling her that.

Me: Hah! Oops. You're right. You aren't really supposed to now her name. Forget I told you.

Diadell: As I run towards the door, I ask her, "What's your name, by the way? Or would you like me to continue to call you Witch?"

Me: (After laughing a bit, I use my Lae'zel voice again) "Lae'zel." She answers rather briskly and with disdain. Make an Insight roll. (She rolls a 17.) Wow! Okay. You get the distinct impression that she actually does kind of like you. However, she is desperately trying to keep up her rough and tough exterior as if trying to prove that she is more confident and capable than she truly is. You can actually tell, deep down, that she is like a frightened child trying to prove to her parents that she is worthy of being treated like an adult.

Diadell: Really? Hah! That's funny. Good to know. Maybe I'll be a bit less of an annoyance to her then. We'll see. So, I reach the door.

Me: It won't open. The membranous door seems to be stubbornly not opening for you.

Diadell: Can I hack it down?

Me: Lae'zel even offers to do it for you.

Diadell: Let's work together.

Me: (As Lae'zel) Can you even do any damage to it? You seem so weak and scrawny.

Diadell: I can probably hack it open faster than you, Sweetie.

Me: (As Lae'zel) "Chsk! Don't be ridiculous. I am a Githyanki. My strength and skill is far superior to yours."

Diadell: "Oh? Well, now that we've established that you are a Githyanki and all, and that your strength and skill are so superior to my own, do you think we can hurry to the helm? We really need to get to the helm, you know? Why are you wasting so much of our time?" Then I start hacking at the door with everything I've got, both weapons.

Me: (As Lae'zel) "Ah! You are insufferable! How long must I put up with this one?" she asks as if to the sky. Then she begins to hack at the door with her long sword. Together, you bust the door open and rush inside.

--End of Session 3--

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
see spider lair thread for more examples of how D&D gameplay should be. Spoilers though.

Last edited by GM4Him; 02/05/21 11:22 PM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
-- Session 4 --

Me: You rush into the next chamber. It is a much larger one. Off to your right is one of those machines that can restore your health. Straight ahead is some sort of larger machine. There is a control panel-like object in front of the massive machine. Several chairs are on the left side of the contraption, and wires from it are hooked up to three thralls. One is wearing robes, another is bare-chested and the third looks like a commoner. There is another pod on the left. It is swirling with magical energy, and there is another control panel near it. On the right, near the healing machine, is another door. Beyond that and the machine is some sort of desk with a chest on it and other items. You can't see what those are from where you are. At the opposite end of the chamber from you is another door. Lae'zel says, "Sk'va! Touch nothing without knowing its purpose. The helm is that way, I believe." She points to the door on the right. "Let's hurry."

Diadell: OK. Let's go. I make my way to the door on the right.

Me: Suddenly, you hear shouting and banging coming from the pod. "Help!" you think you hear from within the pod. It is a muffled woman's voice. "Get me out of this thing!"

Diadell: I go to take a look.

Me: You hurry over to the pod, and Lae'zel follows, looking around her as you go as if expecting enemies to appear out of nowhere. "What are you doing?" she asks. "We must hurry."

Diadell: Someone needs our help. She doesn't sound like one of the others. I have to at least check.

Me (as Lae'zel): "Fine. If you must. Just make it quick." You skirt around the unresponsive people hooked up to the machine and to the pod. Within, you see a young half-elf female with dark hair pulled back in a ponytail. Wisps of hair frame her face on both sides. She is slamming her fists against the glass of the pod in an effort to break it. She is wearing armor without any recognizable designs. As you approach, you can see the swirling magic around the pod. Make an Arcana roll. (She rolls a 2 and fails to make a 15 or higher roll.) You do not recognize the magic nor can you figure out how to open the pod. The woman inside makes eye-contact with you. "Hey! You! Please! Help me out of this thing! Don't leave me. Do something. Hurry!" Lae'zel snears. "Leave her. She is safer in the pod, and there is nothing we can do for her. Are you planning on stopping for every creature we encounter along the way? We need to get command of the ship. NOW!"

Diadell: Back off, Lae'zel. This woman isn't like the others. She seems different. Then I turn towards the woman in the pod and say, "Hold on. I'm going to try something." Then I take my swords and hack at the pod.

Me: Energy crackles loudly and sends a jolt through you. You are thrown backwards. Fortunately, it is only a stunning blow to you, so you don't lose any HP. Lae'zel says, "See? I tried to warn you. Can we get moving now?"

Diadell: Has anyone ever told you how annoying you can be? Fine, but I'm jumping in the healing machine first and checking out the stuff at the desk before we go. There might be something valuable on the desk that we can use to get out of here.

Me: Lae'zel says, "Chsk. Fine." Then you run over to the machine, heal to full health, and rush to the desk. There are two scrolls that you cannot identify. You could examine them and make an Arcana roll, or you can worry about that later. You also find some sort of necklace that doesn't seem to have much value.

Diadell: I pocket the scrolls and necklace. I'll look at them later. Can I open the chest?

Me: The chest is locked.

Diadell: I pick it.

Me: No ability to pick it. It's impossible to pick. As a matter of fact, it zaps you for 1 HP.

Diadell: Grrr. I hurry back to the healing machine. I tell Lae'zel, "The box seems important. Let's check the next room first. Then we can head to the helm. It may have a key to the chest which may have something we need to get out of here."

Me: Lae'zel growls and seems annoyed. She says sarcastically, "Sure. Why not? We have all the time in the world. We're just blazing through the in a Ghaik Nautiloid with imps and demons trying to kill everyone and drag our souls to Hell. Take as much time as you want."

Diadell: I ignore her at this point and hurry into the next room.

Me: You find another massive chamber; the biggest yet. It is FULL of pods. One is dead center on the platform you are on. As you approach, a brain creature scurries past you, ignoring you. The pod in the center has a sleeping woman inside. She seems to stir a bit as you gaze at her, but she is totally unresponsive. Beyond the pod is a raised platform with stairs leading up to it on both the right and the left. Between the stairs is another control panel. There is a single button on it. A plaque above the panel says something in a strange language. It appears as though a robed woman lies dead on the platform. As you observe the room, Lae'zel says, "Look at all of these pods! How many have the Ghaik infected?" She seems completely shocked and horrified.

Diadell: I rush up the stairs to check the woman.

Me: She is dead, and hasn't been so for long.

Diadell: I search her.

Me: Make a roll.

Diadell: 15 total. Did I make it?

Me: You find a key, some gold, a healing potion, and another necklace. The necklace also appears to not be of much value.

Diadell: A key! I turn to Lae'zel and stick it in her face. "See. A key," I say. "Now let's get out of here." Wait! Is there any way to get the pod open for that other woman? It didn't sound like there was any magic around it.

Me: You could try. Would you like to use the control panel or hack at the pod?

Diadell: Let's try the controls.

Me: Make an Arcana roll. (She rolls a 17 total.) The plaque reads: "Transform". There is a single button.

Diadell: Oh dang! Transform? What does that mean? Should I push it?

Me: Are you asking Lae'zel?

Diadell: No. Okay. What the heck? I push it.

Me: Suddenly, there is a strange mechanical sound. It almost sounds as if the pod is opening. You hurry around to look and see that the woman has awakened. Some sort of strange gas is pumped into the pod.

Diadell: Oh crap! What did I do?

Me: The woman stares at you in wide-eyed horror. She presses her hands against the glass and begins to scream. You wince and instinctively fall back a few paces. Even Lae'zel is staring in sick fascination at what is transpiring. Neither you nor her can look away as you watch the woman's skin shed to gore, blood spurting all over the inside of the pod as her flesh just peels off revealing darker skin beneath. Her hair falls out. Her eyes begin to change. Her jaw splits open before your eyes with a sickening crunching and explosive sound. You feel your own insides wretch, but you fight back the instinct to lose your last meal. Four tentacles burst forth, and a Mind Flayer takes form before you. It has just been born from the shell that once was the woman. It is weak and exhausted, collapsing back against the soft padding of the pod. It seems to barely keep its eyes open. Lae'zel says, "Gah! Transformed by the push of a lever! If we do not hurry, we will soon share this same fate."

Diadell (utterly freaked out): Okay. Yeah. I'm good. No more delays. Let's get the dang chest open and get to the helm. I'd like to get these things out of us now. You win, Lae'zel. You win.

Me (as Lae'zel): Finally. Perhaps now you can follow MY lead.

Diadell: Yeah. Okay. Just let's go.

Me: You hurry back out of this chamber and into the one with the chest. Using the key, you pop the chest open to reveal a potion of speed, a healing potion, and a couple more magic scrolls. You don't know what they are unless you'd like to take a moment to examine them and make an Arcana roll.

Diadell: I grab them and go. We can figure out what they are later.

Me: You also find some sort of strange fabric next to everything else. As you pick up the fabric, you see that they are like pockets. You go to stuff them into your own pocket only to have one of them suddenly spring onto your pocket and replace it. Another springs over to Lae'zel, flying out of your hand. It latches onto Lae'zel's armor, forming a pocket near the hip. "Ah!" Lae'zel cries, but she seems happy. "You found Magic Pockets! This is a great asset indeed. It is a Ghaik invention, but it will serve us well. They allow us to pass items quickly between one another, AND they can hold unlimited numbers of items. We still will feel the weight of the objects, but we can now transfer items quickly one to another. This will be very handy."

Diadell: Nice! See? I told you it might be worth it.

Me: You have two more pockets. Best to hold onto those.

Diadell: I stuff the other two in my magic pocket.

Me: You do this and then take off towards the helm. Lae'zel follows close behind.

-- End of Session 4 --

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/05/21 04:43 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
-- Session 5 --

To recap, Diadel and Lae'zel are full health by this point. Diadell has 3 Potions of Speed and 2 Healing Potions. Lae'zel used a Healing Potion at one point and now only has 1 left. They are both heading on their way into the helm, the final battle of the prologue. The Intellect Devourer Baby (We are here) is tagging along, following them wherever they go.

Me: You enter another chamber. This one is much smaller. There is another health regeneration chamber and some brains in jars. That's pretty much all there is of interest. Another door is off to your right. Lae'zel stops you a second. "We are nearing the helm. Once inside, do exactly as I say."

Diadell: Um. Yeah. I already said I'm doing whatever you say now. Lead the way, Boss.

Me: You both run through the door, and suddenly you find yourself in a larger control room. The massive viewport at the far end shows you Avernus in all its hellish glory. Demons, imps and dragons fly about, still tearing each other to pieces as guns from the ship fire upon them. In the helm chamber, you see two mind flayers. One is battling toe-to-toe with a demon wielding a flaming sword. The other sneaks up on a second demon and wraps his tentacles around it. As you watch in horror, the mind flayer's jaws open wide between its tentacles, and it bites down on the cranium of the demon. There is a sickening crunching sound. The demon can't even scream. Its face communicates its agony as its brains get sucked out into the mind flayer's mouth. When it is dead, the mind flayer throws it to the ground. Before it can move on to help the other mind flayer, however, imps swarm past it. They hack it and slash it, killing it dead. Some of these imps continue on into the front section of the helm, opposite you. They battle thralls in an effort to seize the helm's transponder, which is a series of tentacles connecting to some sort of control mechanism. Then, the surviving mind flayer ducks away and blasts the demon he's fighting with a mental attack, knocking it backwards. It turns to you and points towards the transponder. "Thrall. Make your way to the ship's transponder. Now!" it commands. Then it turns back to the demon it just knocked down. "Do as he says," Lae'zel commands. "We will deal with our Ghaik captors after we seize control of the ship."

Diadell: After you.

Me: Suddenly, three imps spot you. The Mind Flayer's movements have alerted them to your presence. They break away from the others, coming for you as the Mind Flayer and demon resume their mortal combat. Initiative.

Diadell: Stupid Mind Flayer idiot. We were heading for the helm anyway. Why'd he have to point us out?

Me: Because what fun would it be if you stealthed it to the transponder?

Diadell: Lots. Fine. Rolling initiative. (She rolls a 4+3=7).

Me: Imp 1 is first, then your brain creature pet, then Imp 3, Lae'zel, then you, and then Imp 2. Imp 1 comes flying 20 feet towards you, its speed, and fires a crossbow. 9+5=14. Hit. 1d8+3 damage. (I roll a 2+3=5). You have 3 HP left.

Diadell: Dang! Already trying to kill me.

Me: Your brain creature pet goes. It scurries 40 feet right up to the one that shot you and takes a swipe with its claws. I'll let you roll for it. (She rolls a 12+4=16) Hit. Roll 2d4+2 damage. (She rolls 6+2=8). Damage resistance means half damage, so only 4 HP off. This imp is tougher. It has 12 total HP. So now it only has 8.

Diadell: Seriously?

Me: Now it is Imp 3's turn. It attacks the brain creature by flying up to it and attacking with an axe. It rolls a 15+5=20. Brain creature only has 12 AC. It's a hit. (I roll a 6+3=9 damage. Maximum damage for a hand axe.) Brain creature has 9 HP total, so it falls.

Diadell: Brainy! You suck!

Me: It's still alive. It's just unconscious and dying.

Diadell: We're so dead.

Me: Lae'zel's turn. She uses the magic pockets to steal a Potion of Speed from you. She then drinks it. She has 1 full minute of haste. That's a total of 10 rounds. During this time, her speed is doubled, she gains a +2 bonus to AC, she has advantage on Dexterity Saving Throws, and she gains an additional action on each of your turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon Attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action.

Diadell: Why are you controlling Lae'zel, anyway? You have all the enemies. Lae'zel is a part of my party. Shouldn't I control her?

Me: I'm controlling her to help use her as a guide for combat and such. For example, you have found 3 Potions of Speed, and you aren't using them. This is the perfect time to do so. Lae'zel is about to show you why. She rushes forward, and with doubled speed she easily reaches Imp 1. It only has 8 HP. She attacks. (She rolls an 18 total.) Hit. She is using two hands on her long sword, so she gets 1d10 damage off. (I roll a 9 total.) 4 HP off. Imp 1 only has 4 HP left. It's your turn.

Diadell: I'm taking cover. Is there anywhere nearby that I can take cover?

Me: It's an open area. No cover nearby.

Diadell: None? Anywhere?

Me: Nope.

Diadell: Can I reach one of the imps if I just move 30 feet?

Me: Nope. You can get close, but you can't reach them.

Diadell: Fine. I guess I'm just going to drink a Speed Potion too.

Me: The potion’s yellow fluid is streaked with black and swirls on its own. As you gulp it down, you find it disgusting, but you can feel its affects taking hold.

Diadell: Great! Now I drink a health potion. (She rolls 2d4+2. She rolls a 5+2=7. Full health). Since I'm double speed and I can't get to cover, I rush the stupid imp that hurt my baby. My short swords are out. Hey! Can I use my off hand to attack? I have a bonus action left, right? I used 1 Action to drink the Potion of Speed. Then I got a second Action because I did that, and I used that Action to drink a Health Potion. So I still have a bonus action. Right?

Me: Nope. "When you take the Attack Action and Attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can use a Bonus Action to Attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand." That's the rule. Therefore, since you didn't use the Attack Action, you can't use your off hand to attack using a Bonus.

Diadell: So I'm done then?

Me: Yes. Imp 2's turn. It flies right at Lae'zel and attacks. (I roll a 12+5=17). Miss.

Diadell: What? Really? You rolled a 17 total, right?

Me: Lae'zel's AC is increased by +2. She had 17 AC already, so now she has a total of 19 AC for 1 minute.

Diadell: Oh thank God!

Me: It's now Imp 1's turn. It also attacks Lae'zel. (4+5=9) Miss. Brainy's turn. It is dying. I roll a Constitution Savings Throw to see if Brainy lives. (I roll a 9+1=10). 1 Successful Save. 2 more and Brainy stabilizes on his/her own.

Diadell: Hang in there, Brainy! I'll help as soon as I can.

Me: Imp 3 is now attacking you. (I roll an 10+5=15). Miss.

Diadell: But my AC is 14. Oh! The potion increased my AC to 16. Never mind.

Me: Lae'zel's turn. She attacks Imp 1. (I roll a 15. Then I roll a total of 8 damage.) 4 HP off. Imp 1 is dead. She now gets a second attack because of the potion. She runs over to Imp 3 and attacks. (I roll a total of 13 and then a total of 7 for damage.) Lae'zel does 3 HP off Imp 3. It had 12 HP also to start, so now it has 9 HP. Your turn.

Diadell: Can I do 2 Attacks each with both weapons?

Me: You can attack twice with your main hand and once with your off hand. So you can do three attacks total.

Diadell: OK. That's what I'm doing to Imp 3. (She rolls a total of 14, a total of 12, and a total of 18 with her three attacks. So she hits once with her main and once with her off hand.) I'm going to use Sneak Attack with my main hand. I can use it because Lae'zel is also within 5 feet. Right?

Me: Right. (She rolls 2d6+3 for her main hand short sword and 1d6 for her off hand. She gets a 10, which does 5 HP, and she gets a 3, which does 1 HP. That's a total of 6 HP off the Imp.) 6 HP off. It has only 3 HP left. Imp 2 attacks Lae'zel. (I roll a 19 total. Then I roll an 8 total for damage.) Lae'zel has lost 8 HP. She only has 10 HP total. She has 2 HP left. Imp 1 is dead. Brainy rolls a failed Savings Throw. If he fails 2 more times, he's dead. Imp 3 now gets to go. It is attacking you. (It rolls a 17 total.) Hit. (I roll a 4+3=7). You have 1 HP left. Lae'zel's turn. She drinks a Health Potion. (I roll an 8 total.) Lae'zel has full health. She uses her other action to attack with her long sword, attacking Imp 3. (I roll a 10 total.) Miss. Your turn.

Diadell: I'm also drinking a Health Potion.

Me: That's your last.

Diadell: Yeah. I know. But I don't have much choice. (She rolls 2d4+2 and gets a 6 total.) OK. 7 HP left. Now I'm attacking Imp 3 with both weapons. (She rolls a 14 and a Natural 20). Yes! Sneak Attack on Main Hand. (She rolls a 7 total with her main hand and a 3 for her off hand.)

Me: You deal 3 HP off with your main hand and 1 HP for your off hand. Imp 3 had 3 HP left. Imp 3 is dead using your main hand. I'll let you use your off hand to attack the last Imp and do 1 HP off of it.

Diadell: "Can I do that?"

Me: Yes. I'd let you do that. It is attacking Lae'zel, so Imp 2 is within range. After killing Imp 3 you move a bit and attack Imp 2 and deal 1 HP of damage. It only had 9 to begin with. It now has 8 HP left. Imp 2 is next and attacks you. (It rolls a 19 total.) Hit. (I roll a 9 total for damage.) You're down.

Diadell: Dang it! Can Lae'zel even heal?

Me: Brainy's turn. (Brainy fails the Savings Throw.) Brainy has failed twice now. Lae'zel's turn. She attacks Imp 2. (I roll a 16 and 9 total for both rolls.) Hit and miss. (I roll a 9 damage.) Damage resistance causes damage to be 4 HP off. Imp 2 only has 4 HP. Roll to see if you succeed in your Savings Throw. (Diadell rolls a 14 total. She succeeds.) 2 more to stabilize. Imp 2 attacks Lae'zel. (I roll a 14 total.) Miss. Next round. (Brainy rolls another failure.) Brainy is dead. Sorry.

Diadell: Brainy! Dang it!

Me: Lae'zel's turn. She attacks the Imp. (I roll a 12 and a 13 total.) Miss and hit. (I roll a 10 for damage.) 5 HP off. Imp 2 is dead. Roll to see if you succeed in your Savings Throw. (She rolls and fails.) You only have 2 more fails to go. Next round, Lae'zel searches the fallen corpses nearby. She finds a Healing Potion on 1 of the fallen and uses it on you. (I roll 2d4+2 and get a total of 8.) Full health.

Diadell: That was too freaking close. What would you have done if Lae'zel had been taken down?

Me: I'd have had the Mind Flayer use a Healing Spell to completely restore your health. Lol. It's the Prologue. I don't want you to die here.

Diadell: Can we get to the transponder now?

Me: The demon and Mind Flayer are still going at it. You rush to the next section of the helm. 3 more imps block your path. All the thralls that were fighting them are dead. Lae'zel cries, "Just get to the transponder. I'll try to distract them." Then she rushes ahead of you. The 3 imps notice Lae'zel and turn to attack. New initiative.

Diadell: Is my Potion of Speed still in affect?

Me: Yes. You didn't die. You were just knocked down for a few rounds. You were then healed and returned to consciousness. Potions of Speed do not require concentration, so it is still in affect.

Diadell: Thank God! We have no more healing potions. I wish we had searched more bodies for them. Too late now. I'm booking it to the transponder.

Me: Initiative first. Then we'll see if you can get there in time.

-- End of Session 5 --

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
-- Session 6 --

Initiative is rolled. Order is Imp 1, Lae'zel, Imp 2, Diadell, Imp 3.

Me: Imp 1 shoots at Lae'zel with a crossbow. (I roll a 17 total.) Miss because of her increased AC due to her Potion of Speed. Lae'zel goes. She rushes Imp 2 and attacks. (I roll a 17 and a 1.) Hit and a miss. (I roll a 4 damage.) She takes 2 off the Imp. The Imp is already injured from prior combat. Therefore, it only had 6 HP. Now it has 4. Imp 2 moves and attacks her with a sting attack. Yes, it can sting with its tail. (I roll a 14.) Miss. Your turn.

Diadell: Can I just run right up to the transponder with a Dash?

Me: A Dash normally gives you 60 feet of movement. With Potion of Speed, you can move 120 feet. You can't quite make it.

Diadell: I'm doing it anyway.

Me: Imp 3 sees you and moves to attack you with his sting. (I roll a 15 total.) He missed. Next round. Imp 1 attacks Lae'zel. (I roll a 21 total.) Hit. (I roll 1d8 for the crossbow and get a 7. Imp gets +3, so 10 damage total.) Lae'zel falls.

Diadell: Crap! Crap! Crap! I'm so freaking close. Wait! You said if I fall the Mind Flayer will just heal me.

Me: The Mind Flayer uses Heal on Lae'zel, and she is full health. However, because he did this, the demons finishes him off with a slash to the chest. He flies backwards, blood spurting everywhere. As he hits the ground, you see him clutching his chest, trying to stave off the mortal wound.

Diadell: Dang! Seriously?

Me: Imp 2 sees you and rushes to attack you. Lae'zel is within Attack of Opportunity range, but since she is prone and just restored from unconsciousness, she gets no Reaction. Imp 2 flies at you and attacks with his sting. (I roll a 1.) Critical Miss! Your turn.

Diadell: I use Disengage as an Action and run up and take control of the transponder.

Me: The ship's transponder. You made it. Somehow, thoughts are projected into your mind as to what you need to do. You rush up to two disconnected tendrils. Grabbing each, you waste no time. You quickly slap them together. There is a spark of energy as the two ends meet. Then, all at once, as the Imps are coming at you from behind to try to stop you, you are all frozen with Dragon Fear. A red dragon has just landed on the viewport. He works his way around to a gaping hole in the wall. As your eyes widen, staring death in the face, he sticks his head in and aims it at you and everything around you. No time! He breathes fire right at your face, engulfing you, the transponder and everything else in the area. You are thrown backward onto the ground, dazed and confused. Somehow, you are alive, but you are utterly dazed. Near you, the imps shriek angrily. They have completely forgotten about you. The dragon has drawn their attention to them. The dragon then leaps into the air, roaring loudly. The imps fly out after it. The ship lurches and tosses you. You slide about on the hull and see the transponder coming at you. Instinctively, as if directed by another force, you reach out and grab the controls. Dangling with one arm from it, you find the strength to pull yourself up to grab the connected tendrils. They have also survived the dragon's blast. Grabbing the tendrils, suddenly, the entire ship lurches again. You see the Hells vanish as the ship bounces out of Avernus and into a darkened sky. Visions suddenly bounce about in your mind. You see the ship amongst the clouds in the night sky. A tiefling girl with straight pink hair is viewing the ship through her telescope. She looks away from the eyepiece and gazes at it with her own eyes. She is clearly frightened, and she runs off to warn others. Your vision shifts. There is a ruins. Standing on the edge of a battlement is a hobgoblin. He stares up at the exploding nautiloid, and he grins. A drow approaches from behind. She is wearing Ring Mail, and she has straight, white hair. She glances at the hobgoblin and smiles with wicked intent. The hobgoblin nods at her. It is as if they exchange thoughts. Then they turn to a goblin leader nearby and gesture with a nod. The goblin calls their forces together and rushes out the main gates of the ruins into the countryside. All at once, you are back in the helm of the ship. You stagger this way and that. Debris is flying everywhere as the ship is descending at a rapid pace. Something hits you in the head. You tumble and slide backwards, slamming into the starboard wall of the chamber. There is a gaping hole there and debris is flying out. Glancing to your left, you spot the Mind Flayer who had been battling the demon. You see no sign of Lae'zel or the demon. The Mind Flayer is glaring at you with a strange mix of hatred and adoration. You can't quite sure what it is thinking, but you almost get the impression that it is trying to save you. Before you can ponder this further, a slab of metal smacks you in the head. You are thrown out the hole in the wall as the ship lurches to that side. The next thing you know, you are plummeting towards the ground. The world is spinning. You can hardly maintain conscious thought. You barely recognize that the ground is coming up towards you, quickly. And then, all at once, your eyes shoot open to see that you are hovering upside down above a beach just a foot off the ground. Everything is glowing around you, including you. You stare in shock and fear as you realize that you have somehow survived and have not cracked your head open on the ground. You try to right yourself, twisting upward just as the glowing dies and you drop hard onto the beach. Smacking your head, you are rendered unconscious. You have no idea how long you are unconscious before you finally wake. End of the Prologue. Chapter 1 begins.

Diadell: How much HP do I have?

Me: You regain all your HP after a long rest. Therefore, since you were unconscious some time during the night, you awaken to find it is morning. You essentially slept all night. It's as if you took a long rest. Based on the position of the sun in the sky, you think it might even be mid-morning. Nearby, and all around you, the nautiloid lies in ruin. It crashed very close to you, so its parts and pieces are everywhere. Nearby, you see lots of bodies strewn along the beach. A wide river is sprawled out to the south and west. The ruined nautiloid blocks your path to the north. There is only one way to go. You can only head east along the beachfront past the dead bodies. The first bodies you find are fishermen. They must have been caught in the crash or killed by some sort of creatures just recently.

Diadell: Can I search them?

Me: Yes. Being that you are not in a hurry, I won't make you roll to see what you find. A thorough search of everyone on the beach allows you to find a total of 20 gold, some meaningless cups and fishing rods and plates and silverware.

Diadell: I take it all. I can probably get something for those things. I might need to sell tons of stuff to buy better equipment. At this point, I'm taking whatever I can get, especially since I have those magic pockets.

Me: As you pocket a few items, you discover that Lae'zel's magic pocket has returned to you. Apparently, yours is the master pocket. Only if an individual is in your party near you will they be able to use the magic pockets. If they are no longer in your party, the magic pockets return to the master user.

Diadell: Sweet! How convenient!

Me: You find a backpack near a fishing pier all the way to the east of the beach. Nearby, a bucket of fish is getting spoiled in the warm sun. You find a book about Umberlee on the pier. Are you still saying you're taking everything?

Diadell: Everything.

Me: Suddenly, you spot just to the north, the front of a ruins. There is an entrance there, but it appears to be locked because there is a woman there pounding on it as if trying to bust it open. You hurry towards her, gathering other useless junk from fallen bodies and barrels and crates laying strewn about the beach. Several fishing boats are also on the beach, but they are utterly destroyed. After taking your time to sneak about and gather everything from the bodies on the beach, you reach the woman. Do you continue to approach or would you like to head off to the west. There appears to be a path to the west. You could just bypass the woman. Oh! I should note. This is the woman that you tried to rescue in the pod; the half-elf with the ponytail and armor.

Diadell: I'm talking to her.

Me: As you approach, she notices you, spins around and cries, "Stop! Not another step or I'll..." She breaks off. Suddenly, a strange sensation causes both of you to grab your temple and widen your stance so that you don't grow too dizzy and fall. Your minds connect for a moment. You see yourself trying to free her from the pod, and you catch the hint of gratitude. The moment passes. The woman looks back at you as if in relief. "Ah! Did you feel that? Our minds connected. It must be the tadpoles they put in our heads. They're connecting us. Wait! I know you. You tried to save me on the ship. Well, at least you put forth the effort. My name's Shadowheart. After the crash, I have been trying to gather as many supplies as I can in hopes of surviving. I was hoping this ruins might have some valuable things I could use. But it's no use. The door won't budge."

Diadell: I'm a rogue. I could try to pick the lock.

Me (as Shadowheart): Be my guest. I certainly can't seem to get it open. Does this mean you'd like to travel together? It might increase our chances of survival. It would at least give us some company, if nothing else, for our final moments. You know, I think these tadpoles are going to turn us into Mind Flayers. We need to find ourselves a healer and fast.

Diadell: Sure. My name's Diadell.

Me (as Shadowheart): Pleasure! Well, if you can't get this door open, let's try to see if there's another way in at the top of the cliff. That was my next move. Hopefully we won't run into any more of these Intellect Devourers along the way.

Diadell: Intellect what?

Me: She points at several of the brain creatures lying on the beach nearby, completely dead. Shadowheart says, "Intellect Devourers. They are nasty slaves of the Mind Flayers. They can take control over people, and they are extremely dangerous. We need to hit them at a range. Getting too close could mean they can either take control over us or just kill us. Keep them at least 10 feet away. They are not easy creatures to kill."

Diadell: After everything I had to go through on the ship, now I have to watch for these things? Those dang imps nearly killed me. Now I have to worry about these things getting close and taking over my mind? Intellect Devourers. Geez!

Me: Shadowheart then says, "Well, lead the way. I'll follow you and support you. I'm more of a ranged person who heals and protects."

Diadell: Fine. So I start heading off towards the western path, I guess.

Me: You immediately find more dead bodies. Then you spot two Intellect Devourers near some of the bodies just before entering the devastated hull of the nautiloid. It is the only way to go. You have no choice but to go through. The Intellect Devourers spot you and flee into the wreckage, disappearing into the darkness.

Diadell: I'm sneaking. Can I sneak at least?

Me: You certainly can. Make a Stealth roll. (She rolls a 15+5=20. I roll a 14, 16 and 4 for the three devourers she doesn't know are within the wreckage.) You succeed. So you creep your way inside. Would you like Shadowheart to try to sneak in as well? She may make noise and alert the creatures to where you are. Your other option is to signal for her to remain at the edge. Then you can surprise attack the devourers and run back to where she is. This would allow her to hit them from a range while you lead them towards her.

Diadell: I'm doing that. I tell her to remain outside, and I sneak in. I just want to get within range of my bow and sneak attack one of them. Hopefully I can stay hidden and keep sniping them.

Me: As you creep your way inside, you spot three devourers. They are huddling around bodies and are either eating them or checking them for life. You can't be sure which.

Diadell: Ok. So I sneak up to about 40 feet from one of them, and I shoot, making sure to remain more than 40 feet away from all of them.

Me: You fire, and the battle begins.

-- Session 6 Ends --

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard