Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I don't remember, had this already been talked about ?

When I'm playing with two weapons as soon as I'm attacking my bonus action is also used.

That's not what I asked when I click "attack".

Sometimes I just want to use my bonus action to make an offhand attacks (I can) but I can't ever only attack with my main hand.

There are plenty of bonus action in BG3 and I shouldn't always have to choose one before attacking if I don't want to attack with my offhand.
What if finally my main attack kill the ennemy I was targetting ? I had plenty exemples in game where my bonus action was just dealing damages to creature killed by the main hand.

I could give other exemples but I guess it's pretty clear. It would give players more control without a "bonus action auto trigger".

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/05/21 12:39 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Technically, you CAN do this, but it's fiddly, and just another example of the way the current game design makes you fight its own UI.

If you want to attack with just your main hand weapon, as your action, you must first click to toggle the dual-wield switch off, then make the attack, and then toggle it back on again if you want dual-wield attacks to remain your standard.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A toggle ? Where ? Next to the reactions toggle ?

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Ah, no, it's down the bottom left, underneath the melee/ranged switch, and colured in a light grey that makes it easy for the eyes to gloss over without registering. It's a little left-right toggle between "One Handed" on the left, and "Dual Wield" on the right. Oh, and I believe you'll need to check and reset it every time you change your melee weapons, as well.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Ah, no, it's down the bottom left, underneath the melee/ranged switch, and colured in a light grey that makes it easy for the eyes to gloss over without registering. It's a little left-right toggle between "One Handed" on the left, and "Dual Wield" on the right. Oh, and I believe you'll need to check and reset it every time you change your melee weapons, as well.

OMG thanks Niara. 300H in game and I never saw it.
I was just looking into the game and I wasn't finding this even after you told me it exist... This is very a small line in an unexpected area of the UI^^

So I tried... and yes it reset everytime you change your weapons^^

addict
addict
Hm, if even an old hand like Maximuuus didn't know about that Dual-Wield toggle, I guess it contributes to showing that the current combat UI isn't top notch. I mean, I don't think I've heard this problem too many times, especially compared to the number of people who don't find how to use the Druid's Move Moonbeam or Hurl Flame (because these add icons which can easily land on hotbar page 2, and not everyone notices that there's more than one page of hotbar). I hope Larian records this for when they design (/redesign/overhaul) the UI.

As noted in the opening post, when Dual-Wield is activated, every Attack we make will automatically consume our Action and Bonus Action, to perform the 2 attacks. Even if the first attack kills the target, in which case our Bonus Action gets wasted for a slash in the air.

Thus, at the moment (because I doubt this is Working As Intended), you have to choose between quality-of-life and tactical efficiency.

The only good thing is that the Dual-Wield toggle has a hotkey (X, by default), so you only have to think about activating/de-activating it and let your left fingers do the thing, without having to worry about spotting and clicking on a small toggle.

D
D
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Niara

OMG thanks Niara. 300H in game and I never saw it.
I was just looking into the game and I wasn't finding this even after you told me it exist... This is very a small line in an unexpected area of the UI^^

So I tried... and yes it reset everytime you change your weapons^^
To be fair, I remember a tutorial message that notifies about this toggle. But I don't remember when it pops out.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Hm, if even an old hand like Maximuuus didn't know about that Dual-Wield toggle, I guess it contributes to showing that the current combat UI isn't top notch. I mean, I don't think I've heard this problem too many times, especially compared to the number of people who don't find how to use the Druid's Move Moonbeam or Hurl Flame (because these add icons which can easily land on hotbar page 2, and not everyone notices that there's more than one page of hotbar). I hope Larian records this for when they design (/redesign/overhaul) the UI.

As noted in the opening post, when Dual-Wield is activated, every Attack we make will automatically consume our Action and Bonus Action, to perform the 2 attacks. Even if the first attack kills the target, in which case our Bonus Action gets wasted for a slash in the air.

Thus, at the moment (because I doubt this is Working As Intended), you have to choose between quality-of-life and tactical efficiency.

The only good thing is that the Dual-Wield toggle has a hotkey (X, by default), so you only have to think about activating/de-activating it and let your left fingers do the thing, without having to worry about spotting and clicking on a small toggle.

The hotkey bloat is only going to get worse with the way it is currently designed.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I think I never saw any tutorial about it but maybe I'm wrong. To be honnest I usually read tutorials and forget them really fast.

Anyway tutorial or not... I really don't understand this.
When you're using any other bonus action, it's never automatic. Why should this specific bonus action works differently ?

Why should we have to "manage" an offhand attack toggle ? Is that really a QoL improvement ?

I don't think so... It could just be confusing or create mistakes and according to me, it's another tedious thing to "manage" (or care about) without any meaningfull benefit.

What's your opinion ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/05/21 05:02 PM.

stranger
stranger
Some people do not care about managing their every move and want it more automated, it is fine I think but it should be more clear. Like some people also want their reactions automated. There should be an option for both and UI should be very clear about these options.

I didnt understand what dual wield toggle, I thought that it let me hold two weapons instead of one.

It is a QoL improvement for some people, especially for people who just want to play for the story or a game where they dont want to manage every single of their move.

Link Copied to Clipboard