Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I just recetly reinstalled Dragon Age: Origins ... and i quite fast find every little thing my brain "displaced"(is that corect word for forced forgeting?) and on my list of anoyances, this talking to player with every second comand is cearly on the top. Especialy if you choose Violent voice ... "Can i get you ladder, so you can get off my back!" ... funny sentence, right? Well, not as much if you hear it every 20 freaking seconds!!! -_-
And even better, if your PC decided to have this "incredibly important" monologue to player, when you listen someone else talking ... that creates beautiful cacophony of mess, from wich you get litteraly nothing. -_-

Ugh. I remember playing Oranges back in the day and a friend strongly advised that I didn't pick that voice. I didn't listen and (as usual) quickly regretted doing so; I suppose it was fitting that I'd called my character Ammonia because that voice had much the same effect. That was the point I realised the urgency of learning how to use the DA Toolset so I could change her voice to something less objectionable.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Yeah, you can't argue with personal taste. I would like some more original character concepts though. Or just someone more normal and reliable (like Halsin or Alfira for example).
Our current cast is full of drama queens, maybe with the exception of Lae'zel, who is mainly focused on reaching her goal and survive, which I can appreciate. She is really well done for an evil character imo.
I do hope, we will get some interesting non-origin characters tbh.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate the current companions (well, apart from Astarion), I do think, that for example Wylls story is really interesting, with him being a spoiled brat, who got sucked into a catastrophic event, he survived, and became bound to a demon, did grow as a person, but still shows some of his former traits (being totally unsubtle and trying to force his way of doing things on pc). I would play him in a pen & paper campaign, there is a lot going on there. I just hope, Larian will do something with that.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Banned
Banned
If we are talking about datamined material ...
There is also some female-druid. wink

If you're referring to Jaheira in the datamined files, she isn't a companion.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
I just recetly reinstalled Dragon Age: Origins ... and i quite fast find every little thing my brain "displaced"(is that corect word for forced forgeting?) and on my list of anoyances, this talking to player with every second comand is cearly on the top. Especialy if you choose Violent voice ... "Can i get you ladder, so you can get off my back!" ... funny sentence, right? Well, not as much if you hear it every 20 freaking seconds!!! -_-
And even better, if your PC decided to have this "incredibly important" monologue to player, when you listen someone else talking ... that creates beautiful cacophony of mess, from wich you get litteraly nothing. -_-

Ugh. I remember playing Oranges back in the day and a friend strongly advised that I didn't pick that voice. I didn't listen and (as usual) quickly regretted doing so; I suppose it was fitting that I'd called my character Ammonia because that voice had much the same effect. That was the point I realised the urgency of learning how to use the DA Toolset so I could change her voice to something less objectionable.

I loved the smooth voice, she has some funny lines. But the best ist Dragon Age 2, sarcastic female Hawke. Still my favorite.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Passerby

Oh wow, Jaheira is still around? I kind of liked her in BG 1&2. She was my slightly annoying big sister.

Doctor Who
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by fylimar
And generally I agree with Passerby, that probably the majority of players want to be attracted to a potential romance, so maybe Larian should see, that there are a bit more 'conventional' attractive characters around.

Thanks! The imbalance and Larian's bias is clear too see. Now that I've seen how Karlach looks, it's made the Hunt the Devil quest a lot more straight forward for me. I'm already more sympathetic to the Zariel worshippers than Karlach to begin with. Now, I'm lopping off her head every time.

Banned
Banned

Oh wow, Jaheira is still around? I kind of liked her in BG 1&2. She was my slightly annoying big sister.

Yeah, according to the datamined files, she has some interactions with Minsc, but not recruitable.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
And, although I'm not the audience target for them, I'm not really that impressed with the male companions. One is an evil asshole and the brooding vampire stereotype, that sadly became so common, since shows/books like Twilight, Vampire Diaries and True Blood became popular. The other two have a demon and a goddess as exes and they are clearly not over them... so not really interesting in my book.
And that is exactly the second reason ...
Even tho someone can find those male companions visualy atractive, they (for simmilar reason as Shadowheart) are completely unusable for me.

That is where we go into the subjective territory of personal taste, and it's best left at that, because people can argue personal tastes until the cows come home. smile
Oh you missunderstand me ...
I dont want them to change anything, just coment that personalities of our Origin companions are quite often very good excuses for slaping. laugh

I will just add - never model your "dream lover" character in BG3 after your real life partner. I made the mistake of doing that, before I knew what that character was for. So creepy, it was just wrong...
(My husband made his "dream lover" look like me, too, but he avoided using the illithid powers so never got those scenes)
In my last play i made my "dream lover" just the same as my player character (on purpose) ... it was odd ... interesting, but also odd. laugh

Oooh - really?!? I am intrigued.
time: 13:37 ... sadly forum ignores specific time link, and simply start whole video from begining. -_-

Originally Posted by vometia
The worse thing about it, is how that voice perfectly works with everything else ...
I just LOVE my mage's diabolical laugh, when he use "Virulent Walking Bomb" and kill multiple enemies with one giant splash of body parts and blood!
And then there is the ladder. -_-

You dont know that. :P
It may also fall into the category of "not yet implemented". wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
That said, now that I think about it, the BG3 companions never really say anything (as in, having voiced lines) when you select them to move or act in combat, while the companions of most other cRPGs will.

Pjenn on Tumblr / Youtube has datamined that the companions will be getting voiced lines during combat that change based on your relationship level with them.

Also there's a lot of party banter that's just bugged right now. Some people have unbugged them and uploaded the interactions onto Youtube.

Last edited by Sabra; 21/05/21 12:33 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sabra
Pjenn on Tumblr / Youtube has datamined that the companions will be getting voiced lines during combat that change based on your relationship level with them.

I'm looking forward to this - I anticipate my PCs going on many suicide runs in the future, just to hear the lines - but I'd like to have on-selection dialogue as well, it's been one of my favorite things since Warcraft 2.

veteran
veteran

Yeah, according to the datamined files, she has some interactions with Minsc, but not recruitable.

Tbh, I'd rather have her than Minsc in the party.

Doctor Who
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The worse thing about it, is how that voice perfectly works with everything else ...
I just LOVE my mage's diabolical laugh, when he use "Virulent Walking Bomb" and kill multiple enemies with one giant splash of body parts and blood!
And then there is the ladder. -_-

People complain about The Man With Many Cheesesâ„¢ and taking an arrow to the knee and that they saw a mudcrab the other day; but it's much worse when it's your own character doing it constantly and that the line in question was never even amusing to begin with. Which is a shame, because I agree with you that the voice was great otherwise, but the same old novelty snark over and over again got really tiring. That character didn't get a lot of playing time even after I fixed her voice.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Well ...
So we return to Baldur's Gate, there are also some tiresome dialogues ... like when you enter Druid Groove, there is that bunch of Tieflings arguing about stay or leave ... quite anoying really fast!
Problem with talking MC is that you cant outrun him. laugh

On the other hand, i would certainly like some comentaries in combat ...
As i said diabolical cackle, cheering "yeaaah", or "nice one James!" when you score critical strike would be nice ... and they should not be so horrible since we dont critical so often. laugh

On the another other hand, i would even imagine some comentaries for critical misses ...
It sounds quite good to me, when our MC misses with nat 1 when spellcasting ... and Gale coments it with something like "let me show you". laugh
But, to return to this topic for a second ... could make him less desired as romance option to some people. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
*Facepalm*

I was joking about the "dating your co-workers thing" I am so so so sad that you guys took it seriously. I think I died a little inside at the wall of words person that took that seriously. frown

No, you don't get to be flippant and blame Dez and me for your poor communication skills. Be clear next time, and not end an irrelevant or insulting statement with a smiley as if that will smooth things over, or convey your meaning. It's your fault if you aren't being clear, not the reader, doubly so when attempting humour that falls flat.

Within the rules of the forum I can be however I want and you don't really have any control over that. I have observed within gamer culture a certain strain of toxicity that manifests as 1) lack of self awareness 2) taking oneself too seriously 3) inability to experience joy. I'm not saying that applies to you but I don't know how else to end this sentence...

You are welcome to not interact with me. I will find some way to soldier on I am sure. :P

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dez
<snip>
<snip>
Sorry to derail the topic slightly, but are others seeing the spoiler labeling that I'm seeing here??

Getting back to the topic, when the game launched the only actual sex scene was with Minthara(?), so the game isn't doing too bad currently in appealing to the male gaze. SH+Minthara vs Gale+Wyll+Astarion isn't a bad ratio...though I do acknowledge that a one night stand isn't equivalent to a full companion.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
GUYS! Don't snark. That's Laeazaeaael's job.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Sorry to derail the topic slightly, but are others seeing the spoiler labeling that I'm seeing here??

I wouldn't know anything about that.

*cough*

J'aime le fromage.
L
addict
addict
L
I find it a little nuts with the complaints that the straight romance options for men aren't good enough. Look at the male romance options we are getting-three humans and a moon elf(vampire) Female options include not only Shadowheart-who is obviously designed to be as broadly appealing as possible and has by far the most content out of al the companions so far, but also far greater variety in options-A Githyanki, a Drow, A Tiefling and a Halfling/Gnome/whatever Helia is. No vanilla humans here! Male Romance options don't have a 'short race' option at all, and Tieflings and Drow are hugely popular (Tielfings may have surpassed drow in popularity, but there's a reason why D&D rpgs keep having drow romance options in them) And a Githyanki is just such a bold and unique choice for a romance option in a game.

Heck, if anything the male origin romance options are the ones that are underwhelming. 3 humans and Sparkles the Daywalker. We have come a long way from Anomen in BG II, but still-compare.

veteran
veteran
Can we name Astarion Sparkles the Daywalker officially, pretty please? That just made my day grin

Variety is always nice imo.

Last edited by fylimar; 21/05/21 04:12 PM.

Doctor Who
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
You are welcome to not interact with me. I will find some way to soldier on I am sure. :P

Good idea. I'm putting you on ignore.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Dez
<snip>
<snip>

Getting back to the topic, when the game launched the only actual sex scene was with Minthara(?), so the game isn't doing too bad currently in appealing to the male gaze. SH+Minthara vs Gale+Wyll+Astarion isn't a bad ratio...though I do acknowledge that a one night stand isn't equivalent to a full companion.

Minthara isn't even a companion. She's a dungeon boss with benefits. So the count is just Shadowheart vs 3 strapping young men.

Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard