Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#774310 25/05/21 05:02 PM
OP Offline
As a player of the druid of the circle of the land (yes, I know I'm one of the minority), I, for the first time the other day transformed for battle into a giant spider (loved the webbing ability, took out the bandits in the temple without much trouble). There is a suggest that I would like to make for the beast druid, however. If they are outside battle, limit what a beast druid can do. While in giant spider form, I was lighting candles, reading books, opening doors, etc. I understand this was probably kept in for convenience, but I was thinking, "How the hell is a giant spider going to work flint and steel to light candles? Opening doors, sure! Why not, but candles?" And then I started thinking if the cat can open doors, light candles, etc, that would be kind of ridiculous. I do understand that even in PnP you keep your mind and the like when you transform, but you are still limited to your physical form and what it is able to manipulate. (Think about the spider with all those eyes trying to read text on a page. Gives me a headache just thinking about it)

So anyway, I think the beast forms of the druid are great for battle, but outside of battle, they should be limited to what that particular beast can do, with their physical form. This would force the druid to come out of the form to do mundane tasks, or have another party member perform them, which would make sense.

Thank you very much for your consideration. grin

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vortex138
And then I started thinking if the cat can open doors, light candles, etc, that would be kind of ridiculous.
Cats opening doors: wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Vortex138
So anyway, I think the beast forms of the druid are great for battle, but outside of battle, they should be limited to what that particular beast can do, with their physical form. This would force the druid to come out of the form to do mundane tasks, or have another party member perform them, which would make sense.

If you try to talk to someone while in an animal form, obviously you can't speak, so the game gets another character to do the talking for you.

As for lighting candles, reading books, opening doors, that cat video says it all! :P

Also bears:

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
My cat is so notorious for opening stuff I've had to put child locks on everything from doors to drawers and cupboards! He's always finding new ways to surprise me too. Soon there won't be a single thing in my house without a lock on it. >.<

old hand
old hand
Some of the point of animal forms in PnP 5e is they also have very large RP and Utility potential, limiting them on what they can do out of combat, while perhaps immersive, feels against the spirit of it but idk.

veteran
veteran
Well ... since Druid in Animal form should still be able to cast (wich is not implemented, hopefuly just yet) i presume that he should be able to light the candle with Produce Fire cantrip. O_o
Every other action seem perfectly legit.

So ... i dont see any reason, nor any benefit, for this restriction. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/05/21 09:59 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Well ... since Druid in Animal form should still be able to cast (wich is not implemented, hopefuly just yet) i presume that he should be able to light the candle with Produce Fire cantrip. O_o
Every other action seem perfectly legit.

So ... i dont see any reason, nor any benefit, for this restriction. :-/

Actually, from DND Beyond: You can’t cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast.

So technically the animals are supposed to be limited in action but I feel like limiting physical actions (opening doors, lighting things, etc) would be counterintuitive to the game design and also make it more glaring that the RP aspects of being able to shift into an animal are plain gone.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Larian could have a lil fun with it if they chose too...

Shadowheart - " Whose's the fuzzy wuzzy bear.... you are... yes you are... "
Goblin - " I see tonight's dinner boyz... GET'EM !! " *shift back to humanoind* "AAAAAHHH !!!"
Lae'Zel - " You are just as ugly an animal as you are (race) "
Astarain - "Mmmmm I am not opposed to a lil beastiality"
Wyll - " A legend always has a mount to ride into battle "

Reckem #774580 28/05/21 09:16 AM
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Reckem
Larian could have a lil fun with it if they chose too...

Shadowheart - " Whose's the fuzzy wuzzy bear.... you are... yes you are... "
Goblin - " I see tonight's dinner boyz... GET'EM !! " *shift back to humanoind* "AAAAAHHH !!!"
Lae'Zel - " You are just as ugly an animal as you are (race) "
Astarain - "Mmmmm I am not opposed to a lil beastiality"
Wyll - " A legend always has a mount to ride into battle "

Struggling big time to imagine SH saying anything remotely similar (although it WOULD be hilarious!) - ... But the Wyll one had me spitting out my pepsi. :']

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian

Link Copied to Clipboard