Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Malrith Offline OP
OP Offline
One of the coolest things about ROLEplaying as a warlock is creating your own backstory that goes into why you made a deal with a specific entity.
Just like Wyll has Mizora who is a full fleshed character tht appears in his tadpole dreams, it would be nice to implement more personality to our own patron, even just through specific warlock dialogue choices (I am not expecting fully voiced cutscenes or anything like that :P).

For example, adding an option in character creation that allows us to determine why we made our pact and whats the price we had to pay in return. Kinda like how we pick the god we worship when playing as a cleric.
Stuff like:

• I was weak and could not protect those I loved. That's when I was offered a chance to become a hero but now I am subservient to a dark power (same flavour as Wyll)
• I was an avid and brilliant scholar but couldn't progress further with my research because of the opposition of my close-minded colleagues. Enlightenment can't wait, so I called upon a higher power. I have no regrets and I'll sacrifice whatever it takes to reach my goals.
• I was raised in a world of poverty and violence. To survive, I had to become quick with my blade and clever with my tongue. The only life that has meaning is my own. Apparently, demons like those like me. We're a lot of fun to be around.
• I stepped into a forest inhabited by a powerful fey spirit when I was a child. I don't remember exactly what happened but since then I have been accompanied by a presence that my parents brushed aside as 'just an imaginary friend'. Now that I am older, I know its not the case. What does this being want from me?

Same thing for familiars, really.
Shovel is a good example of how to make them feel a bit more alive and interactive. Would definitely like to see more stuff like that for our own summoned creatures.

Im curious to hear what the community thinks about this smile

Also: I am enjoying the game immensely so far. There's a lot of room for improvements of course but overall I am very impressed with what I've experienced so far (100-110 hours in early access).
Keep up the good work, Larian smile

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
old hand
old hand
I feel like adding a Bio box for us to write our character's backstory could go a longway to doing this, as I doubt it would be a tag that could relevantly come up other than the type of patron they are, I do want to see a warlock's patron become more uh in focus though with more dialogue options and perhaps even an option to break the pact for when multiclassing arrives, forcing remaining levels to be of a different class. BG1 had the text box thing and I'd use to to craft a story about how my character was there as Gorion's Ward and why. That said, IDK on the familiars. On one hand, I'd love for them to have personality and have things to say like shovel. On the other, I feel like that might become a hindrance to adding the missing two of Pseudodragon and Sprite. Though i do really want the uh optional familiar rules to come into effect for Shovel so that a wizard can have him as their one familiar (or for Shovel to become a non origin companion because we fail to unsummon him and we are stuck with a bound but unhappy demon).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Those are really good ideas for Warlock backstories!

Malrith Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I feel like adding a Bio box for us to write our character's backstory could go a longway to doing this, as I doubt it would be a tag that could relevantly come up other than the type of patron they are

I agree! And this is exactly what I was thinking about. I think that something like this could -and may- be implemented because I noticed that there's already an unusable text box to add notes to remember what's going on in our saves. Just adding some space in our character page to write down something about them would be great. Of couse, we can always do it on an external document or on paper but it's not the same. It feels more 'valid' when you can read your own silly backstory in the same screen as your stats and equipment. Just saying!

Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Those are really good ideas for Warlock backstories!

Thank you, I kept it very generic because I don't think we can expect anything more complex than this to be implemented into the game at this point.
Heck, almost every DnD class could use a game that entirely focuses on its intricacies. I'd play a game that's just about being a warlock, with all its subclasses, and potential story ramifications just like I'd love a game of this quality that only focuses on Drow society. Sadly, classes and races like these tend to lose a lot of their 'punch' when forced into a more generic story/campaign.

veteran
veteran
Ehm ...
Im affraid this is not good idea sadly. :-/

I mean, sure ... to tell how Warlock become Warlock certainly is great ... unless your backstory is not included ingame, then in become frustrating. :-/
Originally Posted by Malrith
• I was weak and could not protect those I loved. That's when I was offered a chance to become a hero but now I am subservient to a dark power (same flavour as Wyll)
• I was an avid and brilliant scholar but couldn't progress further with my research because of the opposition of my close-minded colleagues. Enlightenment can't wait, so I called upon a higher power. I have no regrets and I'll sacrifice whatever it takes to reach my goals.
• I was raised in a world of poverty and violence. To survive, I had to become quick with my blade and clever with my tongue. The only life that has meaning is my own. Apparently, demons like those like me. We're a lot of fun to be around.
• I stepped into a forest inhabited by a powerful fey spirit when I was a child. I don't remember exactly what happened but since then I have been accompanied by a presence that my parents brushed aside as 'just an imaginary friend'. Now that I am older, I know its not the case. What does this being want from me?
• For example mine Warlock was a circus performer (entertainer background) but one day she fell from the raised bar ... and she was told that she will possibly never even walk again. She sold her soul, for get her back in business ... sadly, her miraculous healing was taken by principal with suspicion, and he didnt want her around, bcs he believe that she would bring him bad luck.
That cirkus burned to the ground few nights later, with "unexplained circumstances", and principal was the only victim.
Since then Zyraela (mine Tiefling Warlock) is walking the world as itinerant artist, that have few ugly surprises for looters that try to ambush her on the roads.

Now this is kinda problem ...
When you start implementing some backstories, you can never implement them all. :-/
Right now, i can have this short story in my head ... and nothing is holding me back. And to be honest, i kinda like it that way.

Im all in for companions like Showel, to be more present ... i would even like if our Caster have option to summon Showel specificly, since i really like him, but hes kinda fragile. :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Malrith Offline OP
OP Offline
That level of personalization is simply impossible in a videogame, I'm afraid wink this doesn't mean we can't at least have some options that stay vague enough for us to build on them.

Last edited by Malrith; 25/05/21 11:40 AM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Ehm ...
Now this is kinda problem ...
When you start implementing some backstories, you can never implement them all. :-/
Right now, i can have this short story in my head ... and nothing is holding me back. And to be honest, i kinda like it that way.

Yep. Isn't being creative with your backstory part of DnD? There's the character sheet, there's your stats, but then there's the story that is what you've imagined for yourself. And other than having an in-game text box to write it down for one's own later reference, you don't really need it - you keep it in your mind and occasionally ask yourself "what would this character do?" if unsure about certain dialogue options.

Maybe they could have the text box where one's backstory goes, with some examples, such as the above Warlock stories, just to give people some ideas to write their own thing into the text box.
And then occasional updates you could add, akin to the companion characters' quests?
It may work for some people, others might need the computer to keep track and build on the updates for them, while other people are content with keeping the story in their heads all along.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Malrith
That level of personalization is simply impossible in a videogame, I'm afraid wink
Thats kinda my point ...
If you cant include them all (and you cant) its imho better to keep it empty, so everyone can create their own story.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
This only tangentially applies to the thread overall, but I'll throw it out where I can in the hopes Larian sees it...

Imo Shovel should be a once per either short or long rest summon item instead of a single use scroll. Conversing with it, it suggests it was summoned repeatedly by its previous master and that isn't possible with a single use scroll.

Yes I can just mod it come release, but hope I don't have to.

old hand
old hand
I like the text box idea. This is not limiting anyone and it would be nice for many people to see their backstory somewhere.

Only slightly related to this thread but I would like the option for custom background as well. We don't have enough of them.

If you cant include them all (and you cant) its imho better to keep it empty, so everyone can create their own story.
Agreed.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
But... But... Why does one thing have to exclude the other? :| I think Malrith's idea is great, as long as it does not remove the option for those who prefer complete freedom. Hear me out!

Surely Larian could give us the OPTION to use pre-made backstories like those Malrith proposed, WHILE leaving us the option to simply write it ourselves? Just like they do in DnD Beyond! Super easy, super convenient.

It would be helpful for those who need it or just want it, but still wouldn't limit those who prefer a 100% custom-made story (like myself - I too very much prefer 100% custom-made).

These options could mean nothing more than few flavor texts in the game, at appropriate situations.

But why stop there? Heck - I'd even be delighted if warlocks had the opportunity to choose from pre-made patrons - like a small list of devils, demons, fae and whatnot that could be appropriate patrons (regardless if they are real to the FR universe or Larian homebrewed) - but with the option to pick something like "Custom-made devil" and "Custom-made fae" for those that already have an idea of their patron in mind - and just like the background, all information on the custom-made options are simply blank so the player can fill the information box themselves.

It would just be something simple like a character portrait (if they feel lazy they could just open for the community to design their own patrons and their stories and winners get to be implemented) and a small flavor text like:
"Asmodeus is the ruler of all devils who will stop at nothing on his quest towards multiverse domination. Although he appears to most mortals as very charismatic and reasonable, and perhaps even charming, should one ever provoke his wrath they'll soon know why he is the ruler of the Nine Hells."

Regarding warlock familiars, I'd gladly see them introduce something like the WoW familiars but better. I get that some will argue "But what if I want a sophisticated and intellectual imp, but end up with an impulsive and almost stupid example?" and yes, that is a valid option. But, speaking for myself only, if the characters say/do something that I disagree with for my personal story I usually just rewrite it in my head (or in a document on my computer if I am immersed at that level) and I would PERSONALLY easily be able to ignore flavor talk from a familiar without having my own idea of my character's companion being disturbed. For those who can't do that, they could just add a mute-button for warlock familiars so one can imagine their lines instead.

Alternatively, but that would really be stretching the limits, the warlock could get to select between a few personality option for their different familiars which affects their comments and/or flavor lines.

**Obviously, I am well aware of that Larian probably would not give each player class this amount of work and resources, but I hey - that won't stop me for bringing up the suggestion. c: I think one thing that many CRPGs has failed with is to properly include the PC's class in the game in a meaningful way, and hence, I just like to brain-storm some possibilities to make the class matter more than exclusively in combat and for certain one-liners. I feel like these kind of flavor things would make ones choice of class feel important from a roleplaying perspective and this in combination with the one-liners, could make the PC could feel completely emerged in not just their character's personality, but also their chosen class.**

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dez
like a small list of devils, demons, fae and whatnot that could be appropriate patrons
As long as it include option "unknown" especialy for GOO Warlock ... i would be quite fine with this.
It would be absolutely awesome to be Zariel Tiefling, who have pact with Zariel ... i would call her Double times Damned. laugh

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dez
like a small list of devils, demons, fae and whatnot that could be appropriate patrons
As long as it include option "unknown" especialy for GOO Warlock ... i would be quite fine with this.
It would be absolutely awesome to be Zariel Tiefling, who have pact with Zariel ... i would call her Double times Damned. laugh

Now that would be cool indeed!

And yes, of course - GOO should DEFINITELY have a blank option. But then again, I think all options should have a blank one for those who wanna homebrew or just leave it blank. :]

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
Personally, I really hope familiars get reworked for warlocks. Familiars are meant to be personal to some degree, not just you being able to summon a random creature. I think giving you a choice of potential familiars when you're high enough level would make it feel more special.

I also hope that when Pact of the Blade becomes available, your weapons will look different based on which category of patron you take. That might be a lot, but it would be cool for a GOO weapon to look different from a fae weapon, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard