Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 45 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 44 45
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Once you re-kill the zombie, it's not a zombie any more - it's just a corpse again, and if she's lucky a corpse that has only been dead within one of the shorter time brackets. You couldn't raise him from his zombie state, but you could put him down, and then raise him, provided the body was intact enough.

You're right, of course, that sourcing some gentle repose would have been a FAR better option... she's going to be looking at at least the 1 year time scale by this point, even at best, I'd wager.

(I agree, she's not a favourable character... just not entirely hopeless yet, if you wrangle it right, I feel.)

Ok, so this is good, I have been trying to figure this out FOREVER. So there is one camp that says if you kill a Zombie its still undead, its just a dead undead. There is another camp that says if you kill a zombie then the zombie is no longer undead, its just dead.

So best case Revivify and Raise Dead are off the table because of Organ loss, and time restrictions (1 minute, 10 days respectively) - UNLESS you use Gentle Repose which halts the time limit for 10 days per casting and is super cheap to cast. Which means she would be able to use a Resurrection spell to bring her husband back since it has a 100 year time limit - cost: 1000 gold.

But here is where things get confusing. The wording is VERY strange on Resurrection:

"You touch a dead creature that has been dead for no more than a century, that didn’t die of old age, and that isn’t undead. If its soul is free and willing, the target returns to life with all its hit points.
This spell neutralizes any poisons and cures normal diseases afflicting the creature when it died. It doesn’t, however, remove magical diseases, curses, and the like; if such effects aren’t removed prior to casting the spell, they afflict the target on its return to life."

as opposed to True Resurrection:
"You touch a creature that has been dead for no longer than 200 years and that died for any reason except old age. If the creature’s soul is free and willing, the creature is restored to life with all its hit points.
This spell closes all wounds, neutralizes any poison, cures all diseases, and lifts any curses affecting the creature when it died. The spell replaces damaged or missing organs and limbs.
The spell can even provide a new body if the original no longer exists, in which case you must speak the creature’s name. The creature then appears in an unoccupied space you choose within 10 feet of you."

So is a dead zombie a dead undead or just dead? Do you have a good source for that?

Blackheifer
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
For the attention of nobody in particular, let's make sure we don't get too snarky, please. As for Alrik's comment, I read that as promoting games as escapism because RL "adult content" is pants, which I'm inclined to agree with; sometimes we can have more than enough adulting as it is without turning the grimdark up to 11 too...

J'aime le fromage.
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
There is no way to have a happy ending for Mayrina's story, and she implies she is going to Baldur's Gate so you may encounter her there again.

Oh I don't know... Still alive, still safely carrying her child, and on her way to Bg (with her safely ambulatory zombified husband), where she might find someone who can raise said zombified husband properly provided she can scrape together the means to pay for it or work out an agreement... and if you clear out the swamp first, but don't talk to the witch or enter her house, and only then go back and do the road-side encounter, and side with the idiot brothers, they survive as well... I'd count that as a 'positive as you can hope for' outcome for now...

Not to be that person, but it is obvious with the Larian clues in the Hag lair that Mayrina will run into the Hag again in the city and still have her child taken from her.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
"You touch a creature that has been dead for no longer than 200 years and that died for any reason except old age. If the creature’s soul is free and willing, the creature is restored to life with all its hit points.
This spell closes all wounds, neutralizes any poison, cures all diseases, and lifts any curses affecting the creature when it died. The spell replaces damaged or missing organs and limbs.
The spell can even provide a new body if the original no longer exists, in which case you must speak the creature’s name. The creature then appears in an unoccupied space you choose within 10 feet of you."

So is a dead zombie a dead undead or just dead? Do you have a good source for that?

Moving aside from zombies for a second...

Reading these spell descriptions, suddenly I have a sinking feeling they had a reason for choosing 200 years as the exact amount of time Astarion has been undead. :O What if we have to somehow resurrect him as a normal living elf but can't because he's technically been dead/undead just that little bit too long? Aaaaaagh! (Theorycrafting angst is the worst.)

old hand
old hand
Reading these spell descriptions, suddenly I have a sinking feeling they had a reason for choosing 200 years as the exact amount of time Astarion has been undead. :O What if we have to somehow resurrect him as a normal living elf but can't because he's technically been dead/undead just that little bit too long? Aaaaaagh! (Theorycrafting angst is the worst.)

Perhaps you should turn your theorycrafting loose upon

the possible uses of The Necromancy of Thay.

I think it's going to be very relevant to the problem you mention above. But that's just my own theory.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S

That's been an unfortunate thought of mine since I heard him say "200 years"! I was like oh noooo what are we gonna do...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

Moving aside from zombies for a second...

meanwhile me,

https://i.imgur.com/uapB9F5.gif

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
One of the greatest movies ever made, really.
Edgar Wright is a genius.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/05/21 12:44 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
So according to my research a dead zombie is a dead undead and cannot be returned to regular life with a Raise dead or Resurrection spell. However, you can restore a zombie to undeath by using Revivify on it. But to restore it to its old alive self you need True Resurrection.

Basically Mayrina is screwed. Best of the bad options is to tell her to go bury her husband or drag his body to Baldur's Gate.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Man this is so nostalgic. Remember when we had to wait a month for any signs of life from this game?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Poor kittens ...
Do you know that for some other games, developers went silent for one and half year right now? laugh
And last 3 news they give to us was: Lead Writer was fired ... Lead Director was fired ... Entire studio was fired. laugh laugh laugh

This is nothing, compared. :P

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
So because it can be worse Larian is okay? It's like saying that if I'm a thief but there are murderers in the world I'm good

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Bcs it can be worse, it can be worse. Nothing more, nothing less. wink
And Larian is okay, yes .. but not bcs there are worse, but bc its quite okay.
Its shocking i know. laugh

To work with your example ...
You are comparing Larian to Thief ...
And from that example, since you used murderer as another example ... i dare to presume that you are comparing Larian to some kind of Thief, that is stealing million worth cars. smile
I see Larian as some kid rascal, who "stole" a slice of pie to his mother, even tho she forbid that. smile

It certainly can disapoint some people ... but its really not earthshaking crime. wink laugh

veteran
veteran
Ragnarok has a good point. We are kinda being a bit impatient. Its hard not to be excited about updates though. There are also a LOT of companies that have been truly awful about updates.

I was just thinking about Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 is not releasing this year and I haven't seen an update since they fired the entire studio.

There are development studios that have gone VERY long periods of time without any update or just disappeared into the ether.

Hell, even Valheim has been slow with updates.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Poor kittens ...

This is nothing, compared. :P

your condescending attitude doesn't help anything. You're fine with the lack of news, great. Some people aren't. No one said Larian committed a literal crime, they're just venting their displeasure on a game forum. Also, adding a bunch of :P laugh :X comes across very passive aggressive :P

Last edited by Boblawblah; 28/05/21 12:36 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Remember to be awesome to each other, guys.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Blackheifer get it. smile
It warmed my heart. ^_^

BTW about Bloodlines ... if you dont count the info that HSL is no longer working on it, there is another half-year of silence ... and if you dont count the info, that Brian Mitsoda is no longer working on it ...
And i believe you can "not count" them both, since none of them is telling you anything about the game really ... kinda last "news" we get was in August 2020, and it was "there is COVID and its hard to work like this" (nothing new actualy, also not exactly telling anything about the game) ... so if you want to count some "news" about the game itself, it was DD#12, released in 22 Jul 2020.
Since then? Nothing really. laugh

So on one hand we have studio that promised release in Q1 (March i belive was original date?) 2020 ... and since start of Q3 2020 didnt tell litteraly anything about it ...

And on other hand we have studio, that moved first release by month, and since then is providing game, updates, and from time to time even new content ... and even tho they never promised (as far as i know, feel free to corect me) that another patches will be coming out regulary, nor any specific dates for any of them ... people keep requesting them. O_o

Feel free to judge me, but i really dont think that we have right to be frustrated here. laugh
IF Larian was promissing us, as name of this topic say "the patch every 2 weeks" that would be entirely different situation ... but as i said abowe, im not aware of that. smile

You're fine with the lack of news, great. Some people aren't.
And we all are free to express oureselves. smile
So i guess ballance maintained itself. smile

No one said Larian committed a literal crime
Neither did i ...
I was only providing values for variables in someone else (Abits) example. wink

Also, adding a bunch of :P laugh :X comes across very passive aggressive :P
There is nothing agresive about Smilies ...
Smilies are there to add tone that letters are lacking. wink

How else can you tell if text was written as a joke, or in deadly serious mind, if not by adding: ":D" or "-_-" ? wink

veteran
veteran
Blackheifer get it. smile
It warmed my heart. ^_^

BTW about Bloodlines ... if you dont count the info that HSL is no longer working on it, there is another half-year of silence ... and if you dont count the info, that Brian Mitsoda is no longer working on it ...
And i believe you can "not count" them both, since none of them is telling you anything about the game really ... kinda last "news" we get was in August 2020, and it was "there is COVID and its hard to work like this" (nothing new actualy, also not exactly telling anything about the game) ... so if you want to count some "news" about the game itself, it was DD#12, released in 22 Jul 2020.
Since then? Nothing really. laugh

You're right, its been longer than I realized since there was any news at all. It was supposed to be released November 2020, then one delay because of COVID then Paradox fires the Lead, and the dev house.

They don't even have a new studio hired yet, and honestly who would sign up for this? Even once they get a new studio it will take them 6 + months to get up to speed and organized to continue work?

To be honest I have a mixed opinion about Brian Mitsoda. On the one hand he worked on the original Bloodlines, and wrote the story. On the other hand he worked on Tides of Numenera, which was garbage.

Blackheifer
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Vampires: Bloodlines 2 is also a complete failure of a production.
Last I heard about it from a friend in the gaming press (and with ties at Paradox) they are scrapping whatever was already done and the publisher itself openly stated doesn't expect a release before 2023 AT BEST.

I wouldn't take it as a virtuous model of anything.
Basically all the downsides of a mid budget production with the costs of a triple A.

It also wasn't an Early Access that sort-of promised to keep a direct line with the user base about how the project was evolving over time, so they had absolutely no "moral obligation" until release to communicate better in that sense.

In fact I started this post to point the "minor differences" but now the more I think about it the more it seems an apples and oranges comparison no matter how I look at it.

P.S. It's also worth stressing that most people aren't really unhappy with the lack of a patch in itself (while admittedly it may not help the mood) as much as they are with how "secretive" Larian is being about what they are working on.
They are basically running an EA where they mostly act as if they felt absolutely no need to tell us anything of what they are doing.
And no, I'm sorry, but a blog post every few months with a bunch of factoids about players' habits (according to aggregated data) is not exactly the same that telling us "We are aware of this issue, we are going to do this about it" (or the evergreen alternative: "Tough luck suckers! We are doing whatever we feel like and you are going to eat this shit up with a smile".

Last edited by Tuco; 28/05/21 03:12 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Bcs it can be worse, it can be worse. Nothing more, nothing less. wink
And Larian is okay, yes .. but not bcs there are worse, but bc its quite okay.
Its shocking i know. laugh

To work with your example ...
You are comparing Larian to Thief ...
And from that example, since you used murderer as another example ... i dare to presume that you are comparing Larian to some kind of Thief, that is stealing million worth cars. smile
I see Larian as some kid rascal, who "stole" a slice of pie to his mother, even tho she forbid that. smile

It certainly can disapoint some people ... but its really not earthshaking crime. wink laugh
Is there some sort of argument here?

Page 20 of 45 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 44 45

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard