Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Its not because he is a barrel-chested beefcake - although that doesn't hurt. Its because Halsin is literally the first person you meet who is actually concerned for your well-being AND what we call a well-adjusted person.

This leads to an over-arching complaint about the other companions and that is they all basically just suck as people. Someone started a thread saying that they couldn't see why we were chosen as the party leading given various personalities. And it finally occurred to me that without your leadership every single one of these people would end up dead very quickly.

Gale would find some dangerous magical thing and poke it and end up dead.

Shadowheart would walk off a cliff giving the stink-eye to a porcupine that she thought was staring at her.

Lae-zel would have been eaten by Goblins or hung by the tieflings for being over-aggressive and arrogant.

Wyll - convinced of his own legend would take on the Goblins solo and end up eaten.

Astarion would end up dead trying to drink blood from some rando person or captured by his master or in service to another powerful entity who can protect him.

These aren't adventuring companions, they are people that need a life-assistant or they end up strangling themselves trying to put pants on!

That is when they are not in "disapproval mode" of every single decision you make.

Then you meet Halsin, the first person in the ENTIRE game who is focused on the bigger picture, gives you good advice, shows actual concern for your well-being...and yes he is a giant hunk of man. But its so NICE just to have an honest, respectful conversation with a normal person...who can turn into a bear sometimes. I found myself thinking, I would gladly trade every single one of these idiots to just go off adventuring with Halsin. Like, if someone offered me half of an opened mustard packet for the lot of them I would take the deal.

Like I have already decided, despite anything else Karlach is going with me, because she is already 1000 x better - personality-wise - than any of the other companions. Me, Karlach, Halsin and whoever else....we will have a nice chill adventure and be respectful of each other just crackin'-wise and kickin' butts..

Last edited by Blackheifer; 28/05/21 05:48 AM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

Shadowheart would walk off a cliff giving the stink-eye to a porcupine that she thought was staring at her.

Lae-zel would have been eaten by Goblins or hung by the tieflings for being over-aggressive and arrogant.

Wyll - convinced of his own legend would take on the Goblins solo and end up eaten.

Astarion would end up dead trying to drink blood from some rando person or captured by his master or in service to another powerful entity who can protect him.
Oh my ...
I cant even imagine how hard this game become, when we finaly will be allowed to play Origin characters (if Larian somehow force us to stay "in character") ...
Feel free to read it as: "When there will no longer be our custom-made saviour." laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/05/21 07:33 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Trying a bit too hard here.

Last edited by Tuco; 28/05/21 09:02 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Its not because he is a barrel-chested beefcake - although that doesn't hurt. Its because Halsin is literally the first person you meet who is actually concerned for your well-being AND what we call a well-adjusted person.

This leads to an over-arching complaint about the other companions and that is they all basically just suck as people. Someone started a thread saying that they couldn't see why we were chosen as the party leading given various personalities. And it finally occurred to me that without your leadership every single one of these people would end up dead very quickly.

These aren't adventuring companions, they are people that need a life-assistant or they end up strangling themselves trying to put pants on!

That is when they are not in "disapproval mode" of every single decision you make.

Then you meet Halsin, the first person in the ENTIRE game who is focused on the bigger picture, gives you good advice, shows actual concern for your well-being...and yes he is a giant hunk of man. But its so NICE just to have an honest, respectful conversation with a normal person...who can turn into a bear sometimes. I found myself thinking, I would gladly trade every single one of these idiots to just go off adventuring with Halsin. Like, if someone offered me half of an opened mustard packet for the lot of them I would take the deal.

Like I have already decided, despite anything else Karlach is going with me, because she is already 1000 x better - personality-wise - than any of the other companions. Me, Karlach, Halsin and whoever else....we will have a nice chill adventure and be respectful of each other just crackin'-wise and kickin' butts..

Hey, I am not even that much against our current companions - personally I think their characters make sense (most of the time) and I find them fun although my character loathes (or pities) the whole bunch of them. The one I am struggling the most with from a RP perspective is SH - I really cannot see any reason my ranger wouldn't just leave her behind (which I'll admit, my PC usually does). Not quite romance-material for me though.

BUT, you make a valid point and I agree with the GENERAL idea of the overview (although I do not necessarily see it as a bad thing). Halsin does come off as the only individual around that could properly take care of himself and shows some genuine concern for PC.

Last edited by Dez; 28/05/21 09:03 AM.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
enthusiast
enthusiast
Heh, I strongly suspect Halsin has his own secrets or skeletons in the closet... am I reading too much into his conversation about where you go next, or is he somehow responsible for the Shadow Curse? Maybe?

I just don't trust ANYONE who seems nice or normal in this game. laugh

addict
addict
No, it's because he's tall. Although I honestly prefer Astarion, his dastardly plan is much closer to me. Burning cities together will be fun!

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
It is also great that he is a druid and an elf. A buff guy protecting nature can't be beat! smile

Me, Karlach, Halsin and whoever else....we will have a nice chill adventure and be respectful of each other just crackin'-wise and kickin' butts..
up

Originally Posted by Alexandrite
I just don't trust ANYONE who seems nice or normal in this game. laugh
Raphael greatly approves!

V
V
I don’t love him.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from starecat.com]

V
V
Furthermore I think his decision to travel with the charname has no reasonable motivation and feels a bit off.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by VenusP
Furthermore I think his decision to travel with the charname has no reasonable motivation and feels a bit off.
He just before decided to travel with bunch of adventurers ...
How i our bunch anyhow worse? O_o

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
He also has already been studying the parasites and wanted to go to Moonrise / the shadow cursed land for his own purposes. Seems he's got his own motivations and even says something about your quests aligning.

V
V
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Not adventurers, mercenaries. Not travel, but visiting a location few kms away.

Last edited by VenusP; 28/05/21 04:29 PM.

V
V
Originally Posted by Sabra
He also has already been studying the parasites and wanted to go to Moonrise / the shadow cursed land for his own purposes. Seems he's got his own motivations and even says something about your quests aligning.
And he leaves his fellow druids in peril with no obvious leaders except the derailed one who’s obviously not to be trusted after what she has done. But to hell with it, adventure time!

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
No one said he was without fault. After Kagha he calls in someone else to take over, which could end up bad for the grove but we'll have to wait and see how that turns out. Also, I vaguely remember the shadow curse thing having something to do with a family member? Like there was a hint in one of the books scattered around the grove but was later removed, so that storyline is probably being changed. Anyway, his motives could be deeply personal to him and perhaps make him act rashly and without proper consideration. People make stupid decisions because emotions all the time.

veteran
veteran
I like him as a character - he, Alfira and Karlach would make my perfect party from the characters we already know.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Yes travel ...
He specificly tells you that he intented to follow them to Selune temple, where they all wanted to search for entrance to underdark. O_o

D
journeyman
journeyman
D

Are there locations a few km away in the game? As far as I can tell, the entire game takes place within one square km.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Droata
Are there locations a few km away in the game? As far as I can tell, the entire game takes place within one square km.
I think we're supposed to pretend that the Act 1 map is in reality much larger. Otherwise, it's ludicrous that the goblins couldn't find the Druid Grove which is literally a 1-minute walk away from the Blighted Village.

Instead of having separately zoned areas (such as in BG1&2, Pathfinder Kingmaker) where you fast-travel between them, Larian games combine multiple separate areas into a single map for convenience I guess? Less loading times?

V
V
Yes travel ...
Sorry, that 5 min walk doesn’t look anything like a travel.

Anyway, he had no intention to leave the grove for long enough, as far as everybody there are kind of expecting him to return soon enough. Nope, does not look like an adventure he departs for with the charname.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard