Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 45 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 44 45
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
And what exactly does this ad for a completely different game have to do with the theme?

the topic is the lack of a patch or any sort of communication from Larian, the developers of this game. In my opinion, comparing the situation to something similar (another similar game) where a developer IS communicating is quite relevant.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 02/06/21 02:25 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
And what exactly does this ad for a completely different game have to do with the theme?

the "theme" is the lack of a patch or any sort of communication from Larian, the developers of this game. Comparing the situation to something similar (another similar game) where a developer IS communicating is quite relevant, wouldn't you say? wink smile

I think it's a bit generous to say that's what it was about. Although we're pretty relaxed about off-topic stuff, that was a pretty blatant attempt at derailing, so let's not, eh?

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
the "theme" is the lack of a patch or any sort of communication from Larian, the developers of this game. Comparing the situation to something similar (another similar game) where a developer IS communicating is quite relevant, wouldn't you say? wink smile
Dunno ...
Once you start to compare it with another game, where developer is comunicating even less, people start yelling here that is not relevant. laugh
I would dare to say it should work both ways. laugh

And i dont quite understand why it should be simmilar game ...
The comunication, or silence have just the same result for comunity of all games ... no matter if they are developing RPG, Flying simulator, or First Person Shooter. O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
that was a pretty blatant attempt at derailing, so let's not, eh?

touche, i'll edit the comment

Last edited by Boblawblah; 02/06/21 02:26 PM.
veteran
veteran
Dunno ...
Once you start to compare it with another game, where developer is comunicating even less, people start yelling here that is not relevant. laugh
I would dare to say it should work both ways. laugh
Well, I have no idea of what you are talking about, exactly, but ask yourself: "Is the other game an Early Access as well, in the same genre, and is it doing great in comparison?" and then you may have your answer.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
They're pretty good at that.

There is a new survey that was just released about the EA phase 2.
There are a lot of communication even if it may sometimes only be a facebook post about "someone's youtube video about the game" or "someone's amazing artwork".
There are also regular new trailer, patches and hotfix and they are pretty active on their discord server.
I agree with some (sort of) caveats:

First the community of WotR is very niche, both number wise and in their interests. That is not to say it is a bad community, far from it, but I felt in the time I was active there that there are very specific types of feedback that get addressed well (mostly gameplay related) and other things are harder to push for.

The thing is, that this is backed by the community, that seem to put the gameplay systems in the highest regard. And it is completely valid, since this is a pathfinder game and the backers know what they want.

I think the problem in our case is (and I can't believe I go back to it) is with the name Baldur's gate 3. If this was a divinity game, I feel like there were other expectations associated with the name Baldur's gate that aren't associated with divinity.

Of course it doesn't matter if there is no response whatsoever from Larian

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
And that's the problem... there is no response whatsoever. I never imagined they would have ZERO communication with the community smirk

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
And that's the problem... there is no response whatsoever. I never imagined they would have ZERO communication with the community smirk

Post before Ragnarok : There have been many communications. Just look here :
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=86&page=1

Just a joke sorry about that, I won't do it again smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/06/21 03:18 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I would not. :P
That is a list of changes. :P

But i appreciate the entusiasm, you made me smile. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
I just want to raise another issue about communication and good will in regards to owlcat. Take a look at this forum. Why is it that a big studio like Larian doesn't invest some minimal resources in upgrading these old forum systems? How come a much smaller studios like Owlcat has a much more comfortable and presentable forum systems? Just another example of how much Larian seem to care about their community.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
addict
addict
S
For everyone's sanities' sake, I would like to ask Larian to never use the word 'soon' ever again...

Originally Posted by Abits
I think the problem in our case is (and I can't believe I go back to it) is with the name Baldur's gate 3. If this was a divinity game, I feel like there were other expectations associated with the name Baldur's gate that aren't associated with divinity.

This is a rather broad statement that I'd have to disagree with. It [at least appears to] makes the assumption that complaints are focused at it being a Baldur's Gate game rather than a Divinity sequel, when this isn't even the point of contention for the topic. Complaints are aimed at lack of added content and progress in EA, lack of communication and when there is communication, lack of meaningful communication.

There was a survey done early into the EA which showed only half of the participants on Reddit had even played Baldur's Gate, while 70% here reported the same. Personally, I've never played Baldur's Gate and I'd have no interest in it because I don't like RTwP. I'm here because of Divinity and turn-based RPG and not Baldur's Gate for instance. I have a difficult time believing the complaints which have nothing to do with the name or even the genre (this could be an FPS shooter and it wouldn't matter) are because it's Baldur's Gate and not Divinity.

We're eight months into EA now with basically nothing but a Druid class, some minor tweaks to companions and some comments regarding analytics that some are arguing seem to be willful misrepresentation of data. Meanwhile comparisons can be incredibly effective and important, especially because both are top-down RPG adaptations of PnP rulesets, both are being developed under Covid, both are in early access, etc. The only real differences being in developer size, funding (one is a kickstarter and the other is on the tail end of a successful release and backed by WotC) and scope (25 classes and Mythic paths vs 12 classes). Sadly, the one with seemingly more against it is the one that has been communicating and delivering content.

Meh, that's it for me on the subject though. I'm just massively disappointed in the prospect of an EA which is supposedly geared at getting feedback and testing and has not taken advantage of it or lived up to it. I'm rather concerned with the final release when there's still other classes and multiclassing to test, as well as plenty of other content.

G
addict
addict
G
Larian announced another new office in Barcelona. This further gives me worry that they are still understaffed and well behind schedule due to unforeseen delays.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Oh absolutely. And I'm getting a strong feeling that the lack of communication is somewhat born of fear of backlash when they finally DO put something out, only to show the community that they have essentially made no progress since February. All speculation of course, but it would make sense in context. Even if that is the case (obviously hypothetical) it would have been easier to digest if they would have put something out to the community stating the situation. Instead....total silence and uncertainty.

Now, if they drop Patch 5 like a nuclear bomb of content and changes, I will have gladly been proven wrong. But my money is on the former.

old hand
old hand
I'm not too sure WotR should be called niche when it raised more money on kickstarter than D:OS2 did. Maybe niche compared to the broad appeal/mass advertising that BG3 got, but a lot of things would be niche in a comparison like that.

Originally Posted by gaymer
Larian announced another new office in Barcelona. This further gives me worry that they are still understaffed and well behind schedule due to unforeseen delays.

I'd say 7 offices around the world is well beyond the point where people should stop treating Larian like they're some random indie developer. Maybe they're still indie in the absolute strictest definition, but there's a huge divide between a group of 10-20 people and like 350+ employees worldwide and counting. They hit it big, and grats to them, they're a stone's throw away from being a corporation now (if they aren't already, in everything but name).

Giving this some further consideration, a lot of studios tend to implode in this type of transition. Larian's going to have to be careful with this, lest they make the same mistakes the Witcher/Cyberpunk devs did.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blade238
Originally Posted by Abits

This is a rather broad statement that I'd have to disagree with. It [at least appears to] makes the assumption that complaints are focused at it being a Baldur's Gate game rather than a Divinity sequel, when this isn't even the point of contention for the topic. Complaints are aimed at lack of added content and progress in EA, lack of communication and when there is communication, lack of meaningful communication.

There was a survey done early into the EA which showed only half of the participants on Reddit had even played Baldur's Gate, while 70% here reported the same. Personally, I've never played Baldur's Gate and I'd have no interest in it because I don't like RTwP. I'm here because of Divinity and turn-based RPG and not Baldur's Gate for instance. I have a difficult time believing the complaints which have nothing to do with the name or even the genre (this could be an FPS shooter and it wouldn't matter) are because it's Baldur's Gate and not Divinity.

We're eight months into EA now with basically nothing but a Druid class, some minor tweaks to companions and some comments regarding analytics that some are arguing seem to be willful misrepresentation of data. Meanwhile comparisons can be incredibly effective and important, especially because both are top-down RPG adaptations of PnP rulesets, both are being developed under Covid, both are in early access, etc. The only real differences being in developer size, funding (one is a kickstarter and the other is on the tail end of a successful release and backed by WotC) and scope (25 classes and Mythic paths vs 12 classes). Sadly, the one with seemingly more against it is the one that has been communicating and delivering content.

Meh, that's it for me on the subject though. I'm just massively disappointed in the prospect of an EA which is supposedly geared at getting feedback and testing and has not taken advantage of it or lived up to it. I'm rather concerned with the final release when there's still other classes and multiclassing to test, as well as plenty of other content.
Sure, but I'm sure many people who bought BG3 didn't play Dos either. Like people said above me, Larian became big with this game, this is an undeniable fact. They have a much bigger budget and resources, and much bigger following. And even if most followers never played Baldur's gate, I'm sure most at least heard of it in passing. My point is simply that Larian has a lot of people expecting different things from them. This makes me sympathetic towards them since they have a very hard job.

However, I feel like the way they conduct themselves is beneficial only to them, this silence gives people false hope that their ideas of what this game could be could become true.

apprentice
apprentice
"We will be back soon with a larger community update"
"POSTED
Wed, May 12, 2021"

I'm pretty supportive of Larian's efforts so far with this game but I don't think I can really get behind their usage of the word "soon".
Don't get me wrong, at 300 hours I've both A) gotten my money's worth and B) got little interest in playing more until 1.0.
But a little more daylight would be appreciated.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
I'm not too sure WotR should be called niche when it raised more money on kickstarter than D:OS2 did. Maybe niche compared to the broad appeal/mass advertising that BG3 got, but a lot of things would be niche in a comparison like that.

Originally Posted by gaymer

I'd say 7 offices around the world is well beyond the point where people should stop treating Larian like they're some random indie developer. Maybe they're still indie in the absolute strictest definition, but there's a huge divide between a group of 10-20 people and like 350+ employees worldwide and counting. They hit it big, and grats to them, they're a stone's throw away from being a corporation now (if they aren't already, in everything but name).

Giving this some further consideration, a lot of studios tend to implode in this type of transition. Larian's going to have to be careful with this, lest they make the same mistakes the Witcher/Cyberpunk devs did.

It looks like this seventh studio is very small and is a group of engineers whose sole job is to port games to other platforms. This is actually a really good thing as it frees their main development team from having to focus on that work AND it allows them to more quickly move the BG3 title to other platforms.

Interesting! This more or less confirms they have full intention of expanding the available platform from just PC, MAC, Stadia to at least Switch if not Xbox and Sony. A lot of Consoleboi's will be happy.

Not me though, I can't stand those filthy console gamers :P (KIDDING)

Blackheifer
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by CopperCrate
"We will be back soon with a larger community update"
"POSTED
Wed, May 12, 2021"

I'm pretty supportive of Larian's efforts so far with this game but I don't think I can really get behind their usage of the word "soon".
Don't get me wrong, at 300 hours I've both A) gotten my money's worth and B) got little interest in playing more until 1.0.
But a little more daylight would be appreciated.

Yes, soon and it is now 3 weeks or more later with no follow-up. It makes no sense at all.

And this is a community update, so it is not even the patch. We are going to have to wait even longer for the patch, so 4 months or more? And will the patch just be to add 1 new class and a few new spells again?

veteran
veteran
It was the same with patch 3 btw

Page 27 of 45 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 44 45

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard