Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
For one ...
As mentioned previously ... we are obviously suppose to pretend that map is much bigger, that can be seen in world map, when you try to leave curent location:
(Focus on right side wink )
[Linked Image from baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com]

And for two ...
The fact that others "hope that he will return soon" dont say anything about his intentions ... actualy we were told by Nettie, that he leaved in quite rush, and didnt even tell many others much about it.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/05/21 06:42 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
V
V
Originally Posted by Droata
Originally Posted by VenusP
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
He just before decided to travel with bunch of adventurers ...
Not adventurers, mercenaries. Not travel, but visiting a location few kms away.

Are there locations a few km away in the game? As far as I can tell, the entire game takes place within one square km.
Well yes, few kms is what I have to imagine when I talk about Larian’s approach to designing the locations. Sadly.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Droata
Are there locations a few km away in the game? As far as I can tell, the entire game takes place within one square km.
I think we're supposed to pretend that the Act 1 map is in reality much larger. Otherwise, it's ludicrous that the goblins couldn't find the Druid Grove which is literally a 1-minute walk away from the Blighted Village.

Instead of having separately zoned areas (such as in BG1&2, Pathfinder Kingmaker) where you fast-travel between them, Larian games combine multiple separate areas into a single map for convenience I guess? Less loading times?

I prefer separate environments to theme park world. Travel in Kingmaker is great.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I do not trust Halsin as far as I can throw him. Which is not that far…he is a big boi.

I also weirdly get dad vibes from him, so romance is out.

Great hair and scars tho.

Last edited by timebean; 29/05/21 12:39 AM.
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Its not because he is a barrel-chested beefcake - although that doesn't hurt. Its because Halsin is literally the first person you meet who is actually concerned for your well-being AND what we call a well-adjusted person.
[...]
Then you meet Halsin, the first person in the ENTIRE game who is focused on the bigger picture, gives you good advice, shows actual concern for your well-being...and yes he is a giant hunk of man. But its so NICE just to have an honest, respectful conversation with a normal person...who can turn into a bear sometimes. I found myself thinking, I would gladly trade every single one of these idiots to just go off adventuring with Halsin. Like, if someone offered me half of an opened mustard packet for the lot of them I would take the deal.

(1) He is the classical hero/monomyth. Normal guy, desires to defend his home/grove. This is the familar starting point of stories which makes it easy to relate to him.
(2) He is a manly man. No amount of education will ever change the sexual preferences of women (& men) grin And that's a good thing.

The classical storyline/monomyth is a normal person starting at his home. He does not want to go on an adventure, it's his home or family that is being threatened. And throughout the story, this normal person has to rise to the challenge & become a hero.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Arne
(1) He is the classical hero/monomyth. Normal guy, desires to defend his home/grove. This is the familar starting point of stories which makes it easy to relate to him.
(2) He is a manly man. No amount of education will ever change the sexual preferences of women (& men) grin And that's a good thing.

The classical storyline/monomyth is a normal person starting at his home. He does not want to go on an adventure, it's his home or family that is being threatened. And throughout the story, this normal person has to rise to the challenge & become a hero.

Halsin doesn't work here as he is anything but normal. He is a high level Druid who has seen his fair share of conflict and is not shy about taking things on directly.

Did you read the book Rath wrote with the extra Balsin character?

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
I believe people love Halsin so much simply bcs Chubblot did so good job with his promotional materials. :P

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 01/06/21 09:34 PM.

veteran
veteran
Did you read the book Rath wrote with the extra Balsin character?
That book was hilarious. Halsin loved it! laugh

I believe people love Halsin so much simply bcs Chubblot did so good job with his promotional materials. :P
Chubblot's videos are great. smile

Halsin doesn't work here as he is anything but normal. He is a high level Druid who has seen his fair share of conflict and is not shy about taking things on directly.

Yes, he is only "normal" in comparison to the other companions. He is no vampire, Githyanki and has no demonic pacts. He is just a "normal" elven(?) archdruid grin

Did I say that I would like to see a peasant girl or common hunter for a change?

Last edited by Arne; 02/06/21 06:01 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Yes, he is only "normal" in comparison to the other companions. He is no vampire, Githyanki and has no demonic pacts. He is just a "normal" elven(?) archdruid grin

Did I say that I would like to see a peasant girl or common hunter for a change?

Sorry I was conflating Normal with ordinary - which of course he isn't ordinary.

Blackheifer

Sorry I was conflating Normal with ordinary - which of course he isn't ordinary.

No problem, your point is entirely valid. He isn't really normal or ordinary, even the most 'normal' guy we come across is still quite extraordinary wink

Just imagine you come across a peasant girl in one of the destroyed villages. She is scared to the core & pleads you not to leave her alone. So, you take her along to deliver her to some relatives in Baldur's Gate. In the beginning, she is maybe just a decent cleric or rogue, far too naive to be in an adventuring party and constantly botching things she has to do. But she grows stronger and more competent, getting some nice healing powers or becoming a crafty cutpurse, similar to Imoen. & when you finally arrive at Baldur's Gate, you have to decide whether you leave her with her relatives or continue traveling together.

There, that's a story. It might not be earth shaking, but it doesn't have to be. Stories can be normal. They don't need to be extraordinary.

Last edited by Arne; 03/06/21 06:49 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
No problem, your point is entirely valid. He isn't really normal or ordinary, even the most 'normal' guy we come across is still quite extraordinary wink

Just imagine you come across a peasant girl in one of the destroyed villages. She is scared to the core & pleads you not to leave her alone. So, you take her along to deliver her to some relatives in Baldur's Gate. In the beginning, she is maybe just a decent cleric or rogue, far too naive to be in an adventuring party and constantly botching things she has to do. But she grows stronger and more competent, getting some nice healing talents or becoming a crafty cutpurse, similar to Imoen. & when you finally arrive at Baldur's Gate, you have to decide whether you leave her with her relatives or continue traveling together.

There, that's a story. It might not be earth shaking, but it doesn't have to be. Stories can be normal. There don't need to be extraordinary.

So that's something I have always wondered. Would a regular peasant girl/guy have a class? Do adventurers have to go to adventurer school? is it a apprenticeship thing or do they show proficiency in it and just start studying and picking up what they can as they grow up?

Some like Sorcerers need to be born with it, but can any intelligent person be a wizard? You grow up as a Druid I know that much, and Warlocks just need to stumble upon some powerful entity to make a pact with.

It makes me think of Dungeon Crawl Classic, an old skool rpg where you start with 3 level 0 characters that are basically just peasants with a dumb peasant job and at the end of the first adventure you level the survivor.

http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/DCCRPGBeta060811.pdf

This picture always makes me laugh.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I mean I get the smith, baker and cook being able to do something, but that candlemaker is just kind of screwed.

And the Skelton is like "Dude, what are you even doing?"

Last edited by Blackheifer; 03/06/21 08:29 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
How about that deep gnome?
Or whole group of adventurers leaded by Aradin? (Including that poor guy who was tortured)
Or Marina's brothers?
Or those fishers.

I mean, there are many ordinary people, they just dont seem to desire foolowing us to almost certain death. laugh

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Or whole group of adventurers leaded by Aradin? (Including that poor guy who was tortured)
Or Marina's brothers?
Or those fishers.

I mean, there are many ordinary people, they just dont seem to desire foolowing us to almost certain death. laugh

Well it's their loss then!

Blackheifer
G
stranger
stranger
G
Nah Halsin is buff but his story is just as dumb. He ran away from the grove he's in charge of while said grove is under attack and hosting a bunch of refugees so he could go after some artefact and ended up getting captured by goblins. Not to mention he thought Aradin and his friends would actually be any help to him and instead they left him to die.

veteran
veteran
You had that little mixed up ...

Halsin didnt run, he went to investigate ...
His Groove was not under attack, until Aradin and his group lead Goblin scouts to its gates ...
Refugees was no problem in his point of view, when we leaved ...
He didnt go after some artefact, Aradin did ... Halsin went with him, bcs he needed to find entrance to Underdark, where he would look for entrance to Moonrise Towers ... for one bcs of tadpoles, and for two bcs of shadow curse. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 03/06/21 11:29 PM.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Zevlor says when you first meet him that monsters have been appearing around the grove and the druids blame the tieflings for it. So the grove was in danger. Halsin even knew that because he'd already had to kill one tadpoled drow. Halsin didn't consider the refugees a problem, but he took them in and then left the grove, meaning they had no advocates outside of Rath and Nettie, who couldn't sway the rest of the druids who seemed to hate the tieflings. When Aradin said "we're looking for the Nightsong" Halsin said "cool lemme abandon my grove and come with you" and lo and behold the random adventurers Halsin decided to team up with left him for dead at the first sign of trouble.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Grouseman
Zevlor says when you first meet him that monsters have been appearing around the grove and the druids blame the tieflings for it. So the grove was in danger. Halsin even knew that because he'd already had to kill one tadpoled drow. Halsin didn't consider the refugees a problem, but he took them in and then left the grove, meaning they had no advocates outside of Rath and Nettie, who couldn't sway the rest of the druids who seemed to hate the tieflings. When Aradin said "we're looking for the Nightsong" Halsin said "cool lemme abandon my grove and come with you" and lo and behold the random adventurers Halsin decided to team up with left him for dead at the first sign of trouble.
Nothing of this makes this statement:
Originally Posted by Grouseman
Nah Halsin is buff but his story is just as dumb.
- right.
His story isn't dumb. He is incompetent leader, who even admits that himself. It's not a dumb story, it's normal realistic story about how people do make mistakes.

Last edited by Zellin; 04/06/21 03:58 PM.
It makes me think of Dungeon Crawl Classic, an old skool rpg where you start with 3 level 0 characters that are basically just peasants with a dumb peasant job and at the end of the first adventure you level the survivor.

In my own pen & paper games, my friends always started as level 0 children. They had just abilities & when they got to level 1 they chose a class.

Last edited by Arne; 04/06/21 07:24 PM.
Or Marina's brothers?
Or those fishers.

Yep, they are not companions. And their stories are also maybe not interesting enough to qualify. Maybe Marina herself could have been a possibility, but she's too crazy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard