Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I am following BG3 like a religious zealot. Literally.

I genuinely think that this game will be great.

But.......

The cinematic cut-scenes between PC / NPC interactions appear to be very very very lack-luster. By that i mean they dont stir up any emotional or immersive feelings for me at all like for example the jon irenicus cut-scenes did in BG2.

Am i on the only one seeing this?

I can only suggest to Larian that you need to get rid of your current script writers as this is the most disappointing part of your production by far.

Larian the writing is bad man and you need to completely overhaul it like right now. It isnt woking what you are trying to do with these cut-scenes. They are at best weird and not immersive at all.

E
addict
addict
E
At this stage in the game I doubt they are going to do scrap their writers and do entire re-writes. I haven't been a huge fan of their writing style but that is a personal preference, others love it.

What I do not like are the sheer number of cut scenes for minor interactions and the at times poorly directed 'story driving' scenes. I find it breaks the flow to be constantly interrupted with cutscenes here, there and everywhere. I want to play a game, not an interactive movie.

S
addict
addict
S
I like the cutscenes for the most part, although they can be a bit janky and weird sometimes. I'm guessing most of them haven't been polished yet, but I think we have already seen improvements since the game released.

Or are you referring specifically to the dialogue?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Firstly, have you played the game or only watched the cutscenes on Youtube?

To each their own, different strokes for different folks and all that, but "I am following BG3 like a religious zealot. Literally." was the only part I can agree with here.

Sorry, but in my humble opinion the cutscenes are fantastic! And the voice acting is amazing. More please. smile
Character interaction is what made me personally fall in love with this game.
Sure, the cutscenes do need a bit (in some cases a lot) more polish, some of the animations don't fit together smoothly just yet, and there are wonky lighting issues, but it is a work in progress after all.

Calling for a full script re-write (and by extension, full re-voice) is a bit harsh.

Last edited by Alexandrite; 03/06/21 01:33 PM.
veteran
veteran
I love the cutscenes and cinematic dialogue. smile

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
yeah the dialogue isnt the best. Also the NPCS are just weird eg they arent masculine enough.eg astarion and alot of the other npcs are running around like literally killing monsters and fighting demons but in the cut-scenes they dont appear to have a strong character. Its like they are a bunch of weak pansies in the cut-scenes and they act completely differently in the battles. For me it just deosnt make sense and i think the writing is garbage to be honest.

For example in a real life scenario you would have to be an incredibly strong and masculine person to kill demons and mind-flayers but in BG3 in the cut-scnenes they speak like a bunch of woke scared pansies who would go to an arts museum on the weekends to see an art piece by Leonardo davinci but if you look at history the people who have done heroic stuff like this are people like for example William Wallace from Scotland who (stood up too the British) and was a charismatic strong man who was a leader of men. The NPCS in BG3 are just nothing like this, they are a bunch of soft woke pansies who would suckle there mothers nipple at night.

Litterally.

Last edited by teclis23; 03/06/21 01:45 PM.
veteran
veteran
If you came from dos2 the cutscenes are major improvement. But yeah right now they are not perfect. I do believe it will get better the closer we are to release

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by teclis23
yeah the dialogue isnt the best. Also the NPCS are just weird eg they arent masculine enough.eg astarion and alot of the other npcs are running around like literally killing monsters and fighting demons but in the cut-scenes they dont appear to have a strong character. Its like they are a bunch of weak pansies in the cut-scenes and they act completely differently in the battles. For me it just deosnt make sense and i think the writing is garbage to be honest.

For example in a real life scenario you would have to be an incredibly strong and masculine person to kill demons and mind-flayers but in BG3 in the cut-scnenes they speak like a bunch of woke scared pansies who would go to an arts museum on the weekends to see an art piece by Leonardo davinci but if you look at history the people who have done heroic stuff like this are people like for example William Wallace from Scotland who (stood up too the British) and was a charismatic strong man who was a leader of men. The NPCS in BG3 are just nothing like this, they are a bunch of soft woke pansies who would suckle there mothers nipple at night.

Litterally.

It seems to me that the problem isn't the quality of the cut scences, but your interpretation of 'masculinity' and its questionable importance in the context of heroism and demon-killing.

veteran
veteran

Litterally.

this is way too obvious of a troll lol. You need to tone it down a bit smile

veteran
Online Content
veteran
I am following BG3 like a religious zealot. Literally.

I genuinely think that this game will be great.

But.......

The cinematic cut-scenes between PC / NPC interactions appear to be very very very lack-luster. By that i mean they dont stir up any emotional or immersive feelings for me at all like for example the jon irenicus cut-scenes did in BG2.

Ok, to start with what cutscenes are you referring to? Lets see some links.

We couldn't even discuss this without a common frame of reference.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 03/06/21 02:23 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
Online Content
veteran
You know, I loved Baldur's Gate 2. I really did.
Despise my preference for turn-based combat it ranked for years as my number 1 favorite RPG overall. There were games that did individual things better (ToEE the combat, Fallout the reactivity to player choices, Torment the narrative, Ultima VII the immersion and dynamic world, etc, etc) but BG2 for me was "the full package". A game that did everything more than well enough and it was almost unmatched in some specific areas.

So, it is with that state of mind that I say that I have no idea of what the fuck people are even talking about when try to pass BG2 as the pinnacle of writing and acting or when they pretend it was an incredibly grimdark tale and everything else in comparison is child play.
There are ALREADY NOW in BG3 parts that are acted way better than most of what BG2 offered. Or that are darker in theme and presentation of anything it had.

With that said, while I think the overall production value of BG3 is shaping up to be incredibly high so far, it's obvious that there are several cutscenes and close-up dialogues that will take several more passages of "polishing" before reaching their final form for a release.

Last edited by Tuco; 03/06/21 03:00 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
You know, I loved Baldur's Gate 2. I really did.
SNIP

So, it is with that state of mind that I say that I have no idea of what the fuck people are even talking about when try to pass BG2 as the pinnacle of writing and acting or when they pretend it was an incredibly grimdark tale and everything else in comparison is child play.

SNIP.

I think I have a clue.

I think these criticism only comes from the "ridiculous" (fun, wierd, ... call it how it suits you) that spread everywhere in Larian's games.

That's true, themes are mature. Dialogs are pretty good and so on. But it's hard to feel the game as a serious game when you're jumping like a super-heros, fight crocodiles that can teleport, eat pigs head during combats, set everything on fire for the sake of it...

There are two tones completely opposed in BG3.
Crushing a mindflayers head with your foot or listening to a very sad story then visually setting your full body on fire through dipping. I guess you'll understand the idea.

BG1/2 had stupid jokes too but it was usually... Jokes... Not core mechanics.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/06/21 03:26 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
P
addict
addict
P

Litterally.

You know I was wondering if this was an attempt at a troll post, but with this post, I am pretty sure of it. I mean it is like you are purposefully checking each box to try and start drama and a flame war...Like literally!

2/10.

addict
addict
Given the lack of improvement in many areas, I am getting a feeling that the cutscenes will not get much more polished than the current state. I think we are reaching a plateau already.

My major problem is lack of artistic direction which makes them look very artificial compared to many AAA nowadays.

The voice acting is superb though.

Regarding the originals, BG2 was indeed dark to its time and the writing and acting were very solid as well. Nowadays, post-game of thrones era (just a mainstream example), definition of "dark writing" has changed considerably and apart from a few parts in BG3, the writing is mostly silly.

veteran
veteran
(...)
It isnt woking what you are trying to do with these cut-scenes. They are at best weird and not immersive at all.
Yes. Most of the time cutscenes seem to be generated rather then directed, and even what seems like handcrafted cutscenes didn't seem to make for a good "cinematic" storytelling. Think Dragon Age: Origins after Ostagar, rather then Mass Effect.

For me they didn't work at all - it is especially jarring as switching from top-down view, is already taking me out of the experience. Jade Empire, Kotor or Dragon Age conversations were never great looking, but they were consistant with the rest of the game.

But there seem to be a sizable amount of people who will take those kind of basic cutscenes over not having them at all.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Not trying to hate, but personally I'm not a fan of most of the cut scenes at all.

The motion cap facial expressions do NOT work for me and pretty much all look the same regardless of what emotion they are trying to convey and haven't once matched what I was feeling as I played.

I know some people absolutely love games that are more like movies with half the game being cut scenes(I'm looking at you sometimes Final Fantasy), but personally I am not a fan of them in general and would not have complained had Larian not included any. If I want to watch a movie I'll go watch a movie.

I would have much preferred if Larian had taken the money they dropped(are still dropping) into motion capture and cut scene creation and instead put that money and work into the base game's systems.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

The filler ones are the worst, imo. Fade into the cut scene for 5 seconds to deliver 1 or 2 lines then fade back out without being even able to reply. Dear Gods why are you wasting our time with that?

Edit: spelling

Last edited by Raze; 16/03/22 08:55 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
addict
addict
Single worst thing of why I dislike/cant get into BG3.
Cinematic dialogues in this game will age badly like ALL GAMES with cinematic dialogues. Not sure what people love about them. I think its an age thing; younger and RPG101 crowd seems to like them more. For me Its like watching an awful awkward hollywood B movie. It tries to be lika a movie but isnt and fails at it.
I love GREAT QUALITY CINEMATICS used for just KEY MOMENTS in a games story. Not for every single minor dialogues. It bogs the game down and is extremely annoying. And the facial reaction animations...oh god. ROFL. The monty python theme song always runs in the back of my head once the cinematics start.....incredibly immersion braking.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 03/06/21 09:32 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Yes. Most of the time cutscenes seem to be generated rather then directed, and even what seems like handcrafted cutscenes didn't seem to make for a good "cinematic" storytelling. Think Dragon Age: Origins after Ostagar, rather then Mass Effect.

For me they didn't work at all - it is especially jarring as switching from top-down view, is already taking me out of the experience. Jade Empire, Kotor or Dragon Age conversations were never great looking, but they were consistant with the rest of the game.

But there seem to be a sizable amount of people who will take those kind of basic cutscenes over not having them at all.
I am happy with the generated cutscenes. Handcrafted would be great if they wanted to do them but also might be very expensive?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Single worst thing of why I dislike/cant get into BG3.
Cinematic dialogues in this game will age badly like ALL GAMES with cinematic dialogues. Not sure what people love about them.

Animation has come a long way in recent years. BG3 animation, character design, motion capture and facial expressions are top notch (for currently available technology)... I mean there is always going to be an uncanny valley with 3D animation, but that's just the way it is. DA:O animation has aged, however DA:Inquisition is still quite enjoyable, and that game came out 7 years ago. BG3's characters are even more alive in comparison.
I don't enjoy the written text with voice acting as in older BG games, Pathfinder or even Divinity series anywhere near as much - that feels more like a radio play. For me, the immersion is in the cutscenes as in BG3 and DA series.

Personally, I do love the animated cutscenes, and enjoy the movie-like feel of the game. But in RPGs story and character development are at the top of my "things to love" list - they may not be yours, and that's totally understandable. Different people enjoy different things.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard