Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
You dont get update for few weeks, when the word "soonâ„¢" is promissed and sudently everyone looses their mind about "will it even be released", "is it even still developed". -_-
That is pure overreaction ...

Im one for this with Tuco, the question is not "if" this will be released, and it might, but should not be "when" this will be release ...
But how it will look like when released. :-/
And i honestly hope that next comunity update should help us have some idea.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 04/06/21 11:53 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Of course the game will be released. I'm happy to wait as long as it takes.

What I'd like to know is when the promised community update and/or Patch 5 will be released...

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Azarielle
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Also I do believe the full release deadline should have been set by now.

no, absolutely not. we have seen too many games lately that failed spectacularily because some arbitrary deadline was set to please fans, but the development team needed more time, and then the game sucked.

I'm guessing you're referencing Cyberpunk? Maybe I was lucky but my playthrough has been fairly smooth in stark contrast to overwhelming criticism. Was it all everyone was hoping it to be? No, but Witcher 3 was also extremely plagued at the release and yet it has become one of the best games ever made in time. Let's also remember Cyberpunk was set for release and eventually released at the peak of the pandemic and neither of the two mentioned games ever had an EA, which should really help in making the game playable at release (That's kinda the whole point, no?)

If you ask me I'd rather have a plagued as hell full release than not even a light at the end of the tunnel.

At this rate GRRM might release Winds of Winter before we ever see full release of BG3

Yeah, I was right there with you. I had 2 full playthroughs of CP2077, and yeah it had its issues but it was a great game. I mean I know it wouldn't run on consoles but the PC version was pretty stable, though it did have some crashes, a couple framerate issues. I think it got to the point, that it just became cool to hate on it, and people jumped on the bandwagon.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Yeah, I was right there with you. I had 2 full playthroughs of CP2077, and yeah it had its issues but it was a great game. I mean I know it wouldn't run on consoles but the PC version was pretty stable, though it did have some crashes, a couple framerate issues. I think it got to the point, that it just became cool to hate on it, and people jumped on the bandwagon.

My experience is that it had a lot of issues; mostly with minor glitches, but there were so many, plus a great deal of conspicuously unfinished stuff. That said, I loved playing it: it was a great venue for my usual habit of aimless wandering about. It's certainly become cool to hate it and that gets quite annoying, but OTOH it's conspicuously unfinished. I'm reminded quite a lot of Oblivion in that regard, which was a similar experience (more crashy but also more completed). Both additionally needed a lot of modding to get them closer to where I wanted them to be but both also stand out as firm favourites.

J'aime le fromage.
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by vometia

My experience is that it had a lot of issues; mostly with minor glitches, but there were so many, plus a great deal of conspicuously unfinished stuff. That said, I loved playing it: it was a great venue for my usual habit of aimless wandering about. It's certainly become cool to hate it and that gets quite annoying, but OTOH it's conspicuously unfinished. I'm reminded quite a lot of Oblivion in that regard, which was a similar experience (more crashy but also more completed). Both additionally needed a lot of modding to get them closer to where I wanted them to be but both also stand out as firm favourites.

Mostly I had a problem with memory leaks, but your right it really wasn't a finished product. But by the 3rd patch they had really fixed a lot of things. I was a little annoyed that when I played as a male character I couldn't romance Judy, so I played through a second time with a female character just so I could see that storyline. I mean the story was great, enjoyed leveling up a swordfighter too. There was a crapload of side quests and the world was stunning. I was also able to complete the suicide mission with Johnny, that gave the good ending, and talk about a tough fight.

When it comes right down to it, another game that gets a lot of undeserved hate was Mass Effect : Andromeda. I got the game way after the failed launch and all the silliness that entailed. But I have to say, with a few good mods, it was awesome. I mean that game had some of the best combat out of all of the ME series, the world discovery was great. I was actually a little peeved when I found they were selling out with that "Legendary" rehash rather than coming out with a sequel that would be better than the first. It also sucks I will never find out what happened to the Quarians.

Playing the brother, rather than the sister saved me a lot of messed up convo animations, but there were some definite issues with some conversation writing (:ie "my face is tired" I mean wtf was that?). But that was another game that it was "cool" to hate on as well.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 05/06/21 05:58 AM.
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

It is also 14 years old, and not pushing the limits of modern video cards. That is trying to compare apples and oranges...sorry.

Last edited by Raze; 16/03/22 08:51 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
S
addict
addict
S

So hating on Cyberpunk was just the popular thing to do for no reason at all? This kind of garbage sentiment vindicates rushed releases and broken promises and contributes to perpetuate a serious industry problem. One of the main reasons I support Larian by pre-ordering BG3, is their track record of being the antithesis of this (ironically also why I originally supported CDPR/CP77 with a pre-order having been told the company was customer-centric).

All my Cyberpunk playthrough attempts were wrecked by what I consider game-breaking bugs on PC; from corrupted saves (which CDPR had the gall to shift blame back on players allegedly using duping exploits), to not getting quick hacks (a known, fairly common bug CDPR has failed to fix in 6 months since release), to not getting weapons with any critical stats. The game was extremely buggy and unfinished beyond that; ie loads of perks and cyberware had no effect, to the balancing being atrocious (worst ever in my 25 years experience of gaming), to crudely implemented or missing features. Countless hours met with frustration and anger. This is not people jumping on the bandwagon, this is CDPR throwing them in it.

Of course, if you're the kind of gamer who just like to point and shoot, follow the basic hand cuddling script, and not scratch the surface, then the game has some admirable qualities that will make up for the obtrusive bugs and instabilities even the willfully blind must have noticed.

old hand
old hand
To an earlier thing, I have seen Oblivion described as a very ambitious title, and it did attempt to push certain things but had to roll things back cause of how they weren't working (The goal based AI doing things like attack a player cause he has 20k gold). Oblivion right now looks like a potato but in 2006 it was considered good (if still potato-y) and would crash to desktop on newer PCs. However, I never had it crash my PC or my Xbox, nor did I ever have a corrupted save. For as incomplete and glitchy it was, Oblivion was more stable than some other RPGs I have played.

That said, I do not want BG3 to have the Stability of Oblivion cause Oblivion wasn't that stable...

S
addict
addict
S
I would be great if Larian would release a list (and update it accordingly) with suggestions that have been made and that they have noted.

Something like: 'here is a list of issues that have been raised, and we have seen them! We have read about them and we will keep them in mind.'

this would not confirm that they will or will not implement any of the features, but it might allow us on the forum to move on from a subject, and not discuss the same things over and over again because we don't know if Larian has seen them or not.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Of course, if you're the kind of gamer who just like to point and shoot, follow the basic hand cuddling script, and not scratch the surface, then the game has some admirable qualities that will make up for the obtrusive bugs and instabilities even the willfully blind must have noticed.

What is it with people like you that you feel the need to try and belittle others gaming abilities to try and promote your own "ability"?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Seraphael

What is it with people like you that you feel the need to try and belittle others gaming abilities to try and promote your own "ability"?

Because they're trying to troll and get a rise out of people, before the mods step in...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Also I do believe the full release deadline should have been set by now.

no, absolutely not. we have seen too many games lately that failed spectacularily because some arbitrary deadline was set to please fans, but the development team needed more time, and then the game sucked.

I'm guessing you're referencing Cyberpunk? Maybe I was lucky but my playthrough has been fairly smooth in stark contrast to overwhelming criticism. Was it all everyone was hoping it to be? No, but Witcher 3 was also extremely plagued at the release and yet it has become one of the best games ever made in time. Let's also remember Cyberpunk was set for release and eventually released at the peak of the pandemic and neither of the two mentioned games ever had an EA, which should really help in making the game playable at release (That's kinda the whole point, no?)

If you ask me I'd rather have a plagued as hell full release than not even a light at the end of the tunnel.

At this rate GRRM might release Winds of Winter before we ever see full release of BG3

I just thought the CP77 story was shallow and the rpgs elements were lame. I liked driving around the pretty city and shooting stuff tho. I just don't usually dig those types of games, so it was meh for me.

Ie, my point was the rpg slump that made me get the EA of BG3. Thus, I am not fussed about BG3 despite its faults because at least it actually *feels* like and RPG rather than a looter shooter or action game, etc.

EDITED --- OK -- I missed the final page before I responded --- I did not realize the argument was getting so heated! People like different things! It is all good! I am NOT trying to take a "moral" high ground by liking slower paced rpg style games. In fact, my lack of quick-twitch reaction is why I suck at looter shooters! LOL

Last edited by timebean; 05/06/21 01:10 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
That said, I do not want BG3 to have the Stability of Oblivion cause Oblivion wasn't that stable...

Quite. There were numerous attempts to fix it, some quite ambitious, but it turned out to be impossible as they'd done "something bad" to the memory management at a level that rendered it unfixable (someone mentioned a problem with macros which sounds like the sort of programming nasty that would explain it). Plus an obvious lack of error checking and so on. It needed a lot of mods (IMHO) but of course that used more memory which hastened its inclination to keel over.

Re CP77 crashing one's entire PC, in my case that turned out to probably be an AMD driver bug where a recent update messed up the fan controls and caused my card to cook. Although my R9 390 was a bit long in the tooth, I wasn't quite ready to look for a replacement and had no idea about the ongoing GPU drought. Well, until I did. I was probably lucky to get a not-quite-current-gen Nvidia for about RRP.

And re. "garbage sentiment", "handholding" etc, let's not go there, 'k?

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
I'm always surprised when I read people claiming they enjoyed playing Cyberpunk 2077 and that "they didn't experience that many technical issues".

Even putting aside anomalous issues, crashes and what else, the game had one of the worst feelings in moment-to-moment gameplay that I ever experienced, no matter if you want to classify it as a RPG or a straight shooter (let alone as the city-sized "immersive sim" I hoped it would be).
I never really liked a single Bethesda RPG and I still think that in some aspects even they run circles around this game.

Controls are bad, the UI is bad, shooting (and combat in genre) feels bad, the enemy AI is at "early prototype" levels, NPCs keep colliding/compenetrating into each other or into walls and scenario elements, reactions to the player range from poorly made to inexistent and the itemization is one of the worst I've ever witnessed and the summary of everything I despise in recent trends, especially with that "looter shooter" vibe of constantly showering you with trash.

Literally the only redeeming quality of the game I can point is that the dialogue close-up look excellent and are pretty much what I dreamed a modern Bloodlines 2 could have looked like in that aspect.
Even then their ACTUAL reactivity to the player's inputs is underwhelming at best. Most of these conversations seem to go on a set binary where you have hardly any liberty to steer the direction.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/06/21 01:23 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Tuco
Even then their ACTUAL reactivity to the player's inputs is underwhelming at best. Most of these conversations seem to go on a set binary where you have hardly any liberty to steer the direction.

There is a bit of a problem where player choices seem to only slightly flavour the story at best, but it's going to go where it wants to go anyway. I guess that's not a unique problem but it is quite obvious; what is much more problematic is that what should be the standard "good" ending is the wrong one: it doesn't make any sense, until you choose the obviously bad outcome... and get exactly the same ending. I dunno why that still wasn't fixed last time I looked unless they've actually lost the original assets or something.

I suppose a lot of what I consider to be "unfinished" may indeed be subjective, though; but I personally found a great deal of stuff to be either missing, extremely irritating or actually unplayable: the driving as it is being very much the latter. Certainly not like any car I've ever driven, anyway.

J'aime le fromage.
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by vometia
what is much more problematic is that what should be the standard "good" ending is the wrong one..

Yeah their endings were weird, I think the only "good" ending is the secret one:
https://www.pcinvasion.com/cyberpunk-2077-secret-ending-guide-dont-fear-reaper/

Wow now I feel guilty for throwing the gauntlet although that was never my intention.

I'm just a bit surprised since I haven't really played or followed BG3 for about 4 months and now I wanted to check the news and play all the exciting and fun stuff that surely came out in the meanwhile - yeah... even the forums just revolve about the same old issues.

In other words the atmosphere is getting kinda stale (somehow I feel thathould not be the aim of game developer but what do I know) ...

Oh well peace out

PS: I've honestly crashed a lot more with BG3 especially on Vulkan than I ever did with Cyberpunk (not one crash, not one corrupted Save - I know I'm in minority here)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Composer
The most recent news post would answer part of your concern, in that a larger community update is being brewed. You can read it here.

That was

POSTED
Wed, May 12, 2021

I am getting worried that everything is slowing down, each patch / communication is taking longer and longer. This is starting to feel like another project that is going off the rails.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Or maybe the simple things are done, and they are now focusing on more complex?

You know what would be funny?
I mean, i know the probability is quite low, but it would be funny as hell:
If Patch 5 would provide us all things we asked ... new location, level 5, new race, new class, etc. ... the usual things that people hungry for content keep demanding.
And if it will show in the end, that we had to wait this long, bcs Larian actualy listens to our feedback and decided to give us more ... since when they added druid last time, people was complaining that its too little to be called a major patch. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Or maybe the simple things are done, and they are now focusing on more complex?

You know what would be funny?
I mean, i know the probability is quite low, but it would be funny as hell:
If Patch 5 would provide us all things we asked ... new location, level 5, new race, new class, etc. ... the usual things that people hungry for content keep demanding.
And if it will show in the end, that we had to wait this long, bcs Larian actualy listens to our feedback and decided to give us more ... since when they added druid last time, people was complaining that its too little to be called a major patch. laugh

oh yes, the great "Miracle Patch" which in my experience when people state, just wait for the "Miracle Patch", that Miracle never happens.

I know you not saying one is coming, I have just heard stuff like it's only in development, everything will be fixed, etc.

If it happens I'll be pleasantly surprised but not really expecting patch 5 to be any bigger then any pervious patches.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard