Sounds cool, thanks for clarifying that for me.
No problem, you should jump on the discord. You can get instant answers and even join multiplayer groups. (Yes I will keep bugging you about this)https://discord.gg/larianstudios
Thanks but until Larian address the issues with combat I won't be playing any more. The game simply isn't fun in its current state and I'm sick of going all Basil Faulty on my PC because of it.
When I first played I had the same experience. I wasn't really familiar with how different 5E was from 3.5 etc. It wasn't until I started playing with other people that I realized all the mistakes I was making.
To be honest I feel that if a game doesn't kick my butt on my first playthrough then its not worth playing. It has nothing to teach me.
Does the combat system need work? Sure, but the real problem is there are some really cheesy things you can do that are game-breaking and make encounters too easy.
1) If you have 16 str you can throw most medium sized monsters into other monsters with no ability check and it does massive damage (you can kill all the Cambions on the ship this way)
2) You get shove as a bonus action instead of a full action which is super OP as you can shove people off cliffs and then attack.
3) You can throw potions next to people to heal them.
4) A light clerics Warding Flair has unlimited uses and makes you nearly impossible to hit.
5) Barrelmancy - you can put an explosive barrel anywhere and nobody notices. Or you can stack crates within crates to make a massive heavy object that you can throw at people for a ton of damage.
6) You can drop a candle from your inventory and use it to light your entire weapon on fire as a bonus dip action...from a candle.