Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 45 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 44 45
enthusiast
enthusiast
Agreed. There's no need to rush the game itself - it will be ready when it's ready.

The only thing I'd be asking them for is some communication, not just complete and total silence. Or even a "hey, about that community update we promised, it's a little late but coming around E3 weekend" or something like that. Some hints as to what we can look forward to. Otherwise the forums just turn into a pack of rabid dogs chasing their tails and gnawing on the same pile of bones (of contention) over and over again.

veteran
veteran
You know, lack of updates aside, even openly saying with the last hotfix "We expect the next update in a moth or so" or "around E3" would have spared people a lot of frustration, instead of teasing with some vague "SOONâ„¢" that didn't match reality.

See? Still vague enough to be completely non-committal but far more honest on what would be the time frame. Without even the need to promising anything too specific.
Also, spending a couple of lines on what would be coming with the future update wouldn't have hurt anyone, really.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/06/21 11:17 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Agreed. There's no need to rush the game itself - it will be ready when it's ready.

The only thing I'd be asking them for is some communication, not just complete and total silence. Or even a "hey, about that community update we promised, it's a little late but coming around E3 weekend" or something like that. Some hints as to what we can look forward to. Otherwise the forums just turn into a pack of rabid dogs chasing their tails and gnawing on the same pile of bones (of contention) over and over again.
+1

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
I think people here at conflating communication with new content. I think between releasing patches every day to being almost completely silent for 6 months there is a range.

I honestly don't care if the game will come out even five years from now if it's the best it can be. But I do like to know what they are working on, even if I won't be able to play it.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I love larian but this lack of communication is a bit.. Bad. The last patch in the end was just one class a bounch of spells and cinematic fixes.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Rieline
I love larian but this lack of communication is a bit.. Bad. The last patch in the end was just one class a bounch of spells and cinematic fixes.
TBH that is quite a lot isn't it? If the plan is to keep EA content story wise as is, and hone the mechanics and classes and such in that sandbox, what more could you ask for from a single patch? The patches come so seldom already, if you wanted even more, imagine the delay between patches.

I'd just hope the devs would realize that we do not need a massive spectacle every time they tell us something. A weekly "we have been trying to figure out how many barrels you can stack on top of a badger this week"-post would go a long way here.

I'm still waiting for the paladin, but any news would be appreciated.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by Amaunator43
Originally Posted by Rieline
TBH that is quite a lot isn't it? If the plan is to keep EA content story wise as is, and hone the mechanics and classes and such in that sandbox, what more could you ask for from a single patch? The patches come so seldom already, if you wanted even more, imagine the delay between patches.

I'd just hope the devs would realize that we do not need a massive spectacle every time they tell us something. A weekly "we have been trying to figure out how many barrels you can stack on top of a badger this week"-post would go a long way here.

I'm still waiting for the paladin, but any news would be appreciated.

Mh no really... Cinematic fixes are a thing but i don't think is the most urgend needed thing.

Currently i would love to see the D&D ruleset in the system fixed. Missing Classes and Race added i have no the slightest interest to have cinematics fixed right now. BG was never about cinematics everywhere. With the last patch i expected needed fixes maybe a couple of class or race implemented but objectively we had only the druid and a few spells.

What tho is annoying me is not even that. But the total lack of communication in the end is true the game is early access we all know that the development is in full swing but since i invested my money on it i would even love to know what is even worked on.

I dosn't take much. A blog post. maybe once a week or two week.

There is no reason for hyping and radio silence.

To me the last patch simply under delivered.

G
addict
addict
G
DOS2 development had regular videos and updates on YouTube where they showed work, upcoming things, teasers, and gave a bit of direction. It was not a full roadmap, but they at least told you what was next and what was to come.

I do not understand why that stopped with this game other than my suspicion that Larian is over their head with this project and grossly mismanaging it on all fronts.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by gaymer
I do not understand why that stopped with this game other than my suspicion that Larian is over their head with this project and grossly mismanaging it on all fronts.

This is my growing suspicion as well. I feel like they are slowly starting to find that their idea of porting Divinity as much as possible, and just adapting that into a workable 5e platform, was a MASSIVE mistake. I'm actually hopeful that they are going back to the drawing board and reassessing the whole thing, because I think the way they've started this project has been an absolute disaster, in terms of achieving their goal of 'making BG3 the most faithful adaptation of the 5e system ever'. I would much rather them realize their mistake, and go through months of redesigns, then half-ass the systems by trying to fit 5e into the Divinity engine.

It would make up for the lack of communication in my mind. But I'm sure we would all appreciate at least a nugget of info regarding anything.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gaymer
DOS2 development had regular videos and updates on YouTube where they showed work, upcoming things, teasers, and gave a bit of direction. It was not a full roadmap, but they at least told you what was next and what was to come.

There is no evidence to support this, quite the opposite really. When a company is being grossly mismanaged they suffer from low morale, people leak info, complain and make it known to the general press or bloggers. There is also a lot of turn over, and I am not seeing any evidence of that either.

I would say that Morale is extremely high to the point that no one is releasing any information because they have been asked not to. There are a number of reasons to speculate why that is and generally though this is a positive thing. People are engaged and focused, it seems to me.

And hey, you are welcome to prove me wrong. Show me the "signs of mismanagement" I just indicated. 300+ employees - somebody should be saying something.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 09/06/21 05:05 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
When a company is being grossly mismanaged they suffer from low morale, people leak info, complain and make it known to the general press or bloggers. There is also a lot of turn over, and I am not seeing any evidence of that either.
I hate to disagree with you, but i just must mention Bloodlines 2 ...
I cant quite imagine worse management ... yet there was no leaks, no press or bloggers complaints ... nothing. O_o

veteran
veteran
Either way, one cannot deny there is a huge difference between they treat the community in this game Vs dos2. Why do they do it no one knows for sure.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
And hey, you are welcome to prove me wrong.

fortunately he doesn't have to "prove you wrong" when all he said was

"my suspicion"

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
When a company is being grossly mismanaged they suffer from low morale, people leak info, complain and make it known to the general press or bloggers. There is also a lot of turn over, and I am not seeing any evidence of that either.
I hate to disagree with you, but i just must mention Bloodlines 2 ...
I cant quite imagine worse management ... yet there was no leaks, no press or bloggers complaints ... nothing. O_o

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-08-paradox-qa-staff-allege-poor-treatment

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Hardsuit-Labs-Reviews-E1030422.htm

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Paradox-Interactive-Reviews-E1008028.htm

Just a casual google search. Paradox, who made the decision to pull the plug on Hardsuit Labs has all kinds of problems. Hardsuit seemed to have a decently happy corporate culture and was legitimately surprised by the decision by Paradox to pull the plug. This is how mismanaged companies behave, they make impulsive decisions with no plan in place on handling the fallout. Again, this is a case of Paradox having too many Irons in the fire and not prioritizing them.

Does anyone really think we will see Bloodlines 2 in the next 3-5 years? Nope, its gone.

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
And hey, you are welcome to prove me wrong. Show me the "signs of mismanagement" I just indicated. 300+ employees - somebody should be saying something.

I wanted to avoid bringing this up on THIS forum, but since you're asking...

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Larian-Studios-Reviews-E1861123.htm

Scroll down to the recent Feb 2021 review.

That said, typically we don't really hear anything major in regards to mismanagement until much later. If BG3 truly is being as mismanaged as some here fear, I don't think we would realistically hear anything about it until after the game is released, when people have a chance to distance themselves from the project and company (and will be in less of a position to have their salaries/livelihood threatened via any retaliation). Not to mention Larian is now the current media darling, now that literally every other major western RPG developer has fallen flat on their faces in recent time. The same way CDPR used to be the media darling up until Cyberpunk shattered their carefully crafted façade. Point being, anything remotely negative won't be taken seriously, until things become so obviously bad that public opinion shifts enough to a level where articles about this alleged mismanagement can be safely written.

We only really hear of mismanagement before release if the project has reached truly unsalvageable levels, like CDPR with Cyberpunk. I think another big example is Bioware due to how absolutely consistent the reports of mismanagement were over the entire past decade, but upon further thought, that information only began coming out after the release of each of their projects. DA4 is an exception, having known to have restarted development once or twice, but we only really know that because people are now heavily scrutinizing the company for any information about the project (plus the failure of Andromeda and Anthem affecting DA4's development) to begin with.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 09/06/21 07:43 PM.
veteran
veteran
I kinda hoped you will find some leaks for me. laugh
Anyway ... okey, i stand corected. laugh

Does anyone really think we will see Bloodlines 2 in the next 3-5 years? Nope, its gone.
Well ... maybe not exactly, but i have heared about some hits that "some Vampire game" should be in development in Arkane Studios ... reportely it may possibly be shown in E3
So ... maybe quite soon i shall no longer even care about Bloodlines. laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari

One review, that's it? With things like this you look for something called a "pattern". I saw this but I disregarded it because unless there are multiple employees complaining its not significant.

Obviously they are not happy, hopefully they will find something that better fits them.

Blackheifer
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari

One review, that's it? With things like this you look for something called a "pattern". I saw this but I disregarded it because unless there are multiple employees complaining its not significant.

Obviously they are not happy, hopefully they will find something that better fits them.
The pattern that I see is that most of the people reported on it being disorganized or chaotic. 30% of the people reporting were interns and were there for less than a year. Most of the responses were insubstantial and sounded almost like they were auto-generated; they essentially read like "I'm excited to be working in a place where young people are making video games!" I don't think most of them put much thought into what they wrote.

One is a nurse at an ER in South Carolina - pretty sure they're responding about the wrong company.

Only one person actually took the time to write a thoughtful review with reasoning and examples and they were extremely critical.

Last edited by grysqrl; 09/06/21 08:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yea this "chaos" brought more than once is really strange. Maybe "lots of freedom and creativity leading to chaotic devellopment" could suit BG3 ?

It's pretty clear that the game is an assembly of things pasted together rather than a project thought as a whole.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Yea this "chaos" brought more than once is really strange. Maybe "lots of freedom and creativity leading to chaotic devellopment" could suit BG3 ?

It's pretty clear that the game is an assembly of things pasted together rather than a project thought as a whole.

Judging by the game reveal in early 2020 and all the streams since then, it is not surprising it is a chaotic place.

Maybe they are late because of a prolonged flood.

Page 29 of 45 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 44 45

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard