Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Composer
I know how tempting that last word is to settle it.
I would not call it "last word" more like personal honor ...
Especialy if other side keep insulting you, even after being warned to stop ... without any visible responce. -_-

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/06/21 02:31 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I'd just like to note that it's been almost exactly a month since 'SOON' was dropped. For a community update. Not even a full patch mention. Pretty discouraging, if you ask me.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Vekkares
just want to play with my friends without starting over all the time. I like the idea of bringing my higher level character into my friend's and my wife's game. Either to help get past tough battles, or just trade gear. You can do that in a ton of games, and I feel without it, it loses some of that replay and character creation enjoyment from previous games. I am more passionate about it than I should be I guess. lol

I totally get this. When we have someone who has to drop out of a Multiplayer game the person who replaces gets that characters toon or the host has to re-assign them. It would be great if we could have somebody come in with a new toon that is leveled to wherever we are and we could put the person who left on the backburner.

More importantly this ties into the larger dream of having the ability to export characters for play later or in other campaigns.

I think The Composer wrote an interesting piece on that yesterday

On the challenges of adding new players to multiplayer groups:

"I think it's a cool idea with random MP groups, would love to see it! I can think of a few hurdles though, most of them doable except for one. Characters made in character creation are marked as avatars, it's why you can't dismiss player created characters and replace them with a henchman. That'd need a reword, which would cascade into a whole lot of code needing reiteration as well. There'd probably be an interest in having some narrative cue to why a new dude would show up, but there are many easy to more complex solutions to that. The biggest difficulty I can think of is moving various progression data from an avatar to the new henchman, tags, flags and other code the current and future content relies on being there, in order to function properly. That isn't as easily transferred as say, getting the host level and leveling up the new character to the same, or duplicating its items and sending that to the camp stash."

On the idea of Baldur's Gate itself as a kind of Multiplayer/Singleplayer new campaign HUB - Jumping off point:
"I've been advocating heavily for what I call "reversal traversal" because it sounds corny and funny, yet oddly descriptive, which basically means the ability to travel backwards, to previous acts. That way, the community could make new content in a more modular fashion and add to other projects. Otherwise it's solely a linear experience, and once you leave the area, you can't go back (which is the case in Dos2). Also, that'd allow for Baldur's Gate to be a hub you can travel to as a hub, not as a once pass-through. Imagine having Baldur's Gate as a hub where people put down a new NPC to start their own quest line, and you download a mod to play someone's interpretation of the Curse of Strahd campaign, as extra content of your usual vanilla playthrough. That's probably my personal biggest passion and hope to see happen."

For me these are the greatest Hopes I have for this game, not as 'merely a game' but as a Platform - like NWN was - except vastly improved in terms of core ruleset, balance, and possibilities.

With respect to The Composer, I hope you don't mind me quoting you.

Thank you, this is exactly what im talking about. Divinity was a huge disappointment to me, because I felt it lost the D&D feeling without the character import/export. I am just very nervous they are going to continue that awful forced narrative in multiplayer by making your friends be an NPC. There is no investment there. I dont want to be the annoying vampire, or the grumpy elf and gith. I dont like the lame Warlock or the magic item eating Mage. I just want to make my own Party, use MY characters in games with friends, maybe they are stuck or an item I acquired would help them. Again this is D&D, lets make it feel like that community and allow us to use the characters we invest in.

Last edited by Vekkares; 09/06/21 07:28 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
clearly don’t live in the US. We have a higher standard here. Not all of us, mind you or we wouldn’t have had a Cheeto for President, but some of us demand quality for our time and money. Also I’m done with my monthly check in on this game. It’s still garbage, my time too precious to continue explaining to you, why I think this way. Buh Bye!

Roflmao..The fact that you think the US has a higher standard is so adorable. Bless your heart.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
For me these are the greatest Hopes I have for this game, not as 'merely a game' but as a Platform - like NWN was - except vastly improved in terms of core ruleset, balance, and possibilities.

With respect to The Composer, I hope you don't mind me quoting you.

Thank you, this is exactly what im talking about. Divinity was a huge disappointment to me, because I felt it lost the D&D feeling without the character import/export. I am just very nervous they are going to continue that awful forced narrative in multiplayer by making your friends be an NPC. There is no investment there. I dont want to be the annoying vampire, or the grumpy elf and gith. I dont like the lame Warlock or the magic item eating Mage. I just want to make my own Party, use MY characters in games with friends, maybe they are stuck or an item I acquired would help them. Again this is D&D, lets make it feel like that community and allow us to use the characters we invest in.

I know there are advocates for this both in Larian and outside of Larian so its on the Radar, but my expectation is we likely won't see it until after full release. However the idea of making it a Platform means that Larian can continue to build and sell separate Campaign DLC for the platform, so WoTC wins, Larian wins and the players win. There are - conservative estimate - 40 Million D&D players worldwide so the market for this is considerable.

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
Yeah making it a platform would make me drool. <3

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Yeah making it a platform would make me drool. <3

I think it would make MOST D&D players drool. The issue is building the platform with a solid foundation rooted squarely in 5e. Which, at this point, Larian seems either hesitant to, or resistant to...

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DrDrizzyT
I think it would make MOST D&D players drool. The issue is building the platform with a solid foundation rooted squarely in 5e. Which, at this point, Larian seems either hesitant to, or resistant to...

I also think a platform isn't happening unless Larian plans to abandon the Divinity Original Sin series, the next DOS game gets its gameplay completely transformed, and/or Larian gets straight up bought out by WotC. The potential licensing otherwise is going to be extremely messy.

I would also think we can get a better platform than one that apparently struggles to implement any kind of true flight or proper reactions.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 10/06/21 08:41 AM.
addict
addict
Ive been secretly replaying DOS2 with some MODS and I actually really like the gameplay...all the silliness just works in this world. If it weren't for the stupid OVER itemization of things. There are WAY too many magic items and it gets old VERY FAST. I wish someone made a MOD that could completely get rid of GREEN and BLUE items, reduce magic items in vendors + increase prices x5 , make stealing way harder, add more Uniques and tone down purple/red drops.
Really hope BG3 doesn't head that way.
Oh and Ragnarok, if you have something to say really not interested on what you have to say, nor care about your opinions. I hope the feeling is mutual. Cheers.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 10/06/21 08:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
Cant say i understand that sentence ...
You "hope the feeling is mutual" ... so you "hope i dont care what you have to say" ... yet, you said it, even tho you "hope" i would not care ...
And what is even more interesting, you said "if you have something to say" ... that condition would mean you dont care only, when i have something to say ... when i dont, you care then? O_o

[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]

So, please enlighten me ... what exactly was your goal here? O_o

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/06/21 08:59 AM.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by DrDrizzyT

I also think a platform isn't happening unless Larian plans to abandon the Divinity Original Sin series, the next DOS game gets its gameplay completely transformed, and/or Larian gets straight up bought out by WotC. The potential licensing otherwise is going to be extremely messy.

I would also think we can get a better platform than one that apparently struggles to implement any kind of true flight or proper reactions.

I dont know man, im trying to stay positive about this. I know its a much needed feature to really make this feel like DnD. The fact so many other games have done this and some still are, I just see it as a huge blowback to a lot of BG and DnD fans. Its why I have tried to be noisy about it. Together we can get almost any feature we want, but with the DnD franchise and the huge desire for the DM mode on this, I really dont see why it wouldnt be implemented. Let make some noise! lol

enthusiast
enthusiast
For those who think Hasbro & WoTC would save BG3 if they took it over, I don't think so. Look at the new Dark Alliance game. It makes BG3 look like 100% pure and true, 100% vanilla, by the books, D&D game. It not like Hasbro has really cared how fateful a video game for D&D is, as long as they get their licensing money. Look at the Sword Coast Legends, another D&DINO game. I do wish that Hasbro would protect the rules of their D&D games more but since they never seem to in the past, not expecting them to do so now.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Cant say i understand that sentence ...
You "hope the feeling is mutual" ... so you "hope i dont care what you have to say" ... yet, you said it, even tho you "hope" i would not care ...
And what is even more interesting, you said "if you have something to say" ... that condition would mean you dont care only, when i have something to say ... when i dont, you care then? O_o

[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]

So, please enlighten me ... what exactly was your goal here? O_o

Love you man. Have a metal and a BIG hug.
You are so right on so many levels. Really no point arguing with you on any kind of topics. I still think the game is a pretty bad state of communication with players right now, after 6 months of EA. About you? Do you think milk and cookies are unhealthy? If Boo was a bear and Winny the poo a hamster, could Minsc tell them apart? Ah I love red wine, about you? Kiss kiss peace and love wink

veteran
veteran
Most of it sounds like offtopic ... but since value of this topic cant go lower, why the hells no. laugh

Nah, im fine as it is. smile Game is fun, and we get something new to talk about often enough to keep myself entertained. smile
Yeah, i thing they are unealthy ... but not so unhealthy so you cant have some from time to time, if you keep sporting sometimes. smile
That is tough one ... i belive Minsc would get them both on adventure, and protect them with his own life.
I more for mead to be honest, but red wine is certainly better than white wine. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 11/06/21 10:38 AM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
For those who think Hasbro & WoTC would save BG3 if they took it over, I don't think so. Look at the new Dark Alliance game. It makes BG3 look like 100% pure and true, 100% vanilla, by the books, D&D game. It not like Hasbro has really cared how fateful a video game for D&D is, as long as they get their licensing money. Look at the Sword Coast Legends, another D&DINO game. I do wish that Hasbro would protect the rules of their D&D games more but since they never seem to in the past, not expecting them to do so now.

This is going to sound cynical but we don't know if Dark Alliance is good or bad yet since it doesn't release for another 11 days. It may be brilliant or terrible.

I mean looking at it I know its not MY kind of game but who knows what the audience may be. Hopefully that isn't affecting Larian's radio silence since I don't see an overlap in the market for those two games. Except for the small niche of people who will buy anything with D&D plastered on it.

I honestly didn't even know Hasbro made video games until you mentioned they had control over Dark Alliance. Then I read this:

"In the deal, Atari's parent company acquired a 10-year exclusive deal to produce video games based on 10 key Hasbro franchises, including Dungeons & Dragons, Monopoly, Scrabble, Game of Life, Battleship, Clue, Yahtzee, Simon, Risk and Boggle."

One of these things is not like the other...

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Off-topic but the good thing about Dark Alliance is that it's now getting couch co-op!!! This is likely because of the massive amounts of feedback and negativity when it was earlier announced that there would be no local multiplayer. The devs said "We heard you loud and clear."

I will now put this game back on my wishlist, if only to support the developer listening to player feedback.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Sorry, I did not mean that Dark Alliance is a bad game, just that it not really using the D&D ruleset, just the D&D lore.

I want both in my D&D games, using the rules I know and the lore I love.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
Sorry, I did not mean that Dark Alliance is a bad game
Well, conversely, from what I've seen I'm almost ready to bet on it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Honestly, I don't really know nor care if Dark Alliance will be good. Perhaps it will be a great action game (I think thats what it is going for) and perhaps it will be terrible, but I don't think it'd have any bearing on BG3 because other than the connection to D&D they are two completely different beasts and I don't think would impact eachother's development unless they contradicted themselves in canon which would give BG3 some minor rewriting at most (unless Dark Alliance does something stupid like Blow up the entirety of Baldurs Gate.)

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
but since value of this topic cant go lower

It astonishes me how you think that a complete lack of communication from Larian on this project is just okay.

But hey, to each their own.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard