Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by DMG Page 263
As the Dungeon Master, you aren’t limited by the rules in the Player’s Handbook, the guidelines in these rules, or the selection of monsters in the Monster Manual. You can let your imagination run wild. This chapter contains optional rules that you can use to customize your campaign, as well as guidelines on creating your own material, such as monsters and magic items.

The options in this chapter relate to many different parts of the game. Some of them are variants of rules, and others are entirely new rules. Each option represents a different genre, style of play, or both. Consider trying no more than one or two of the options at a time so that you can clearly assess their effects on your campaign before adding other options.

Before you add a new rule to your campaign, ask yourself two questions:

* Will the rule improve the game?
* Will my players like it?

If you’re confident that the answer to both questions is yes, then you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. Urge your players to provide feedback. If the rule or game element isn’t functioning as intended or isn’t adding much to your game, you can refine it or ditch it. No matter what a rule’s source, a rule serves you, not the other way around.

Beware of adding anything to your game that allows a character to concentrate on more than one effect at a time, use more than one reaction or bonus action per round, or attune to more than three magic items at a time. Rules and game elements that override the rules for concentration, reactions, bonus actions, and magic item attunement can seriously unbalance or overcomplicate your game.

So here my issue with some of Larian's house rules, they are ignoring the advise of the designers of D&D to not to mess with certain things and the two questions that you should ask for any house rules.

There is also the very good advice of "Urge your players to provide feedback." which is why we have these forums but I am not that sure they are paying any attention to their players, instead looking at their metrics and using those to support their ideas about how D&D should work.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 11/06/21 12:51 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Amen!

Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
Ah, but take a look at the first line you quoted
Originally Posted by DMG Page 263
As the Dungeon Master, you aren’t limited by the rules in the Player’s Handbook, the guidelines in these rules, or the selection of monsters in the Monster Manual.
I would classify the "2 questions you should ask" as guidelines; ergo Larian doesn't need to ask them!

On a more serious note, the answers to those questions (with explanations of Larian's thought process on why it'd improve the game) is something I really want to see in this next mythical community update.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by DMG Page 263
* Will the rule improve the game?
* Will my players like it?
* Yes ...
* Yes ...

I dont see any problem. :P laugh


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by DMG Page 263
* Will the rule improve the game?
* Will my players like it?

- No
- No

There's a problem.

Joined: Jun 2021
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Jun 2021
Originally Posted by DMG Page 263
Beware of adding anything to your game that allows a character to concentrate on more than one effect at a time, use more than one reaction or bonus action per round, or attune to more than three magic items at a time. Rules and game elements that override the rules for concentration, reactions, bonus actions, and magic item attunement can seriously unbalance or overcomplicate your game.

The EA has made it clear that the warning of unbalancing gameplay is accurate.

Joined: May 2021
Location: North America
Q
member
Offline
member
Q
Joined: May 2021
Location: North America
I'm beginning to suspect that not only is the warning accurate, but that the "unbalancing gameplay" is WAI.

Joined: Jun 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by DMG Page 263
* Will the rule improve the game?
* Will my players like it?
  • Yes
  • Yes


Page 1 of the DMG
Quote
The D&D rules help you and the other players have a good time, but the rules aren't in charge. You're the DM, and you are in charge of the game.

and a bonus one about advantage:
Quote
The DM can also decide that circumstances influence a roll in one direction or the other and grant advantage or impose disadvantage as a result.

600+ hours of EA and still having a blast!

Last edited by Alodar; 11/06/21 10:53 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by DMG Page 263
* Will the rule improve the game?
* Will my players like it?

- No
- No

There's a problem.

Very agreed.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
There's a problem.
So the problem is a million people with different prefferences and tastes is not able to decide single ultimate way of doing things?
How unexpectable. laugh


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Jun 2021
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Jun 2021
This is why people have been asking for multiple rulesets, it's when larian stick to only one ruleset with multiple difficulties that people start discussing which particular ruleset should be the focus.

There's no indication that they might implement a core ruleset from anything Larian have said. Any time they mention it, it's only to say how it doesn't work.

Joined: Jul 2014
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
From time to time I wish that people who are quick to approve anything Larian is doing would bother going into the details of HOW they think these arbitrary changes are actually improving the flow of the combat.
And I mean in a "X is better than Y because of reason Z" sort of way.
Not in that cheerful, clueless "I'M MORE OR LESS FINE WITH WHATEVER!" angle that usually summarizes their takes.

Then again, sometimes you get the vibe that someone at Larian could take a dump on their dinner table and some of them would swear on their lives that the smell isn't that bad and it stimulates their appetite.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by Tuco
And I mean in a "X is better than Y because of reason Z" sort of way.
You and me both ...
But not in that grumpy, clueless "I'M TOTALLY AGAINST WHATEVER THAT IS NOT IN RULESET FOR TABLETOP!" angle that usually summarizes their takes. smile


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Jul 2014
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
But not in that grumpy, clueless "I'M TOTALLY AGAINST WHATEVER THAT IS NOT IN RULESET FOR TABLETOP!" angle that usually summarizes their takes. smile
Only if you are blind/oblivious/illiterate.


There are people here that wrote BOOKS on the negative effect of some changes.

It's like as it was with the horrendous armor system in DOS 2: hundreds of posts explaining in painful detail what didn't work with it and Larian and their defenders going "Nu-uh, it's great, you don't like it just because it's new but you'll come around eventually".
Only to admit a year later in a post-mortem that it was terrible and it was a mistake to ship with it.

Last edited by Tuco; 11/06/21 11:15 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
True ...
But those people are like 1 of 1000. :-/


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
There's a problem.
So the problem is a million people with different prefferences and tastes is not able to decide single ultimate way of doing things?
How unexpectable. laugh

It's not a mater of taste.
If half the people understood where the issues comes from and why the game is so unbalanced the opinions would be different.
It would also be different if we could level up to level 5 because combats are going to become ridiculously easy.

Those same people just don't understand what suggestions are made, why they are made and what they would lead to. Maybe their imagination is very limited... or maybe they don't care because they're close minded.

I really think that you as many here are not usual to tactical turn based game.
To be honnest I think you just don't understand the problems raised as you had proven many times.
Things may not be a problem to you but you even don't understand what your experience would be with things reworked...

Would you like the game less if you couldn't eat pigs head as a bonus action ?
Would you like the game less if being higher gave you a +1 or +2 bonus rather than an advantage ?
Would you like it less if disengage as a bonus action was not allowed for everyone ?

Many of us raised facts while many of you just raised nothing.
I'm still waiting for someone to give arguments and explain why he love things like they are/why he wouldn't like things like it's suggested (closer to Raw with specific homebrew)... But it looks that it won't ever happen.

You're arguing for the sake of it without any arguments but "I'm right, you're wrong", as you had also proven many times.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
True ...
But those people are like 1 of 1000. :-/

And ? Read those books Tuco's talking about and stop being one of the 999 that were WRONG about the armor system (according to Larian).

It's because of you and the 998 others that this (apparently bad) system is in the game.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/06/21 12:27 PM.
Joined: Jun 2021
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Jun 2021
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
But not in that grumpy, clueless "I'M TOTALLY AGAINST WHATEVER THAT IS NOT IN RULESET FOR TABLETOP!" angle that usually summarizes their takes.

What a disingenuous take. You spend time everyday arguing against peoples reasoned opinions over multiple posts (with most limited to aspects of the game itself, not even referencing tabletop) and still take the reductive position that such opinions are usually clueless or based on grumpiness.

I genuinely don't think you want anyone to provide feedback in EA, you spend so much time trying to dismissively stamp out any topic that is not 100% positive.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
You should expect this coming ...

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
It's not a mater of taste.
Isnt it? How so?
I mean this statement isnt exactly the brightest example of "X is better than Y because of reason Z". :-/

The mostly repeated complaints, related to game mechanics, i noticed around here are:

"barellmancy"
> Totally matter of taste, there is nothing forcing you to use it, if you dont want ... i tryed and EA can be played without even single barell blown.

"high ground"
> It might seem like it isnt matter of taste, since there is no way to avoid this mechanic ... but since you sugested in your own example switching advantage for +1, or +2 bonus ... it starts to feel like matter of taste, since you obviously dont have problem with mechanic itself. O_o

"backstab"
> I have only 325h played ... but honestly i dont remember even single NPC running around my character to get backstab advantage. O_o So i would say this is the same as with barells ... but maybe i just forget something. :-/

"jump with evasion"
> Honestly i dont quite understand this complaint ... people want evasion (or dodge or w/e they want to call it) so they can run off meele range without causing AOO ... that means they want to use it with combination of movement ... wich is exactly that jump do ... pure matter of taste, if you ask me. :-/

"six members party"
> I dont even know what to say here, since the only arguments i even heared about this topic was "it would be better" or "i would like it more" ... wich are, again, pure matter of taste. :-/

"day/night"
> Same as abowe. :-/

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
If half the people understood where the issues comes from and why the game is so unbalanced the opinions would be different.
Presumably they would care ...
Like i understand how hightened AC, and HP makes game unballanced (you were the one who explained to me, BTW) ... yet the game is still playable for me and most encounters i met so far was manageable ... so it dont bother me much to be honest. :-/

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
It would also be different if we could level up to level 5 because combats are going to become a joke (is that the story mode ?)
This is pure speculation, from me ofcourse ... but i dare to presume that Larian will use their gathered data about how many people actualy have problems with encounters, and use them to set dificiulty ... once they would implement them.
So, yes, curent game might easily end as story mode.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I really think that you as many here are not usual to tactical turn based game.
It depends on what games you count ...
Im huge fan of Heroes of Might and Magic games ... wich i personaly concider as very tactical, turn based games ... and i allways enjoyed the most those fights where i had much weaker army than my oponent, yet i managed to get out with as low loss as possible, preferably none ofc.
I also loved original Fallout, also quite tactical turn based game, even tho i would say it was not as tactical as heroes ... more about creating your character the right way and picking the right order of oponents.
Of course i was growing with Worms: Armageddon ... i know that is completely different kind of game, but still turn based ... and still quite tactical. smile
And last but not least ... there are chess, wich i love and play for last 15 years ... im still horrible in them tho, but i love them anyway. laugh

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
To be honnest I think you just don't understand the problems raised as you had proven many times.
That is certainly possible ...
Aswell as many times i was simply told that "this would be better, and if you dont understand that fact then you are stupid" ... not necesarily with theese words.
Wich dont help much. laugh

Or, also quite common experience around here "too long, didnt read". laugh
That dont help much either. laugh

On the other hand, there was few situations where people actualy cared to explain the problem, like it was with AC and HP, where you were talking ... where i understand the core of problem, admit that i was wrong, and leave the dicussion for the others. :P
But to be honest, that topic was more exception, than standard.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Things may not be a problem to you but you even don't understand what your experience would be with things reworked... Would you like the game less if you couldn't eat pigs head as a bonus action ? Would you like the game less if being higher gave you a +1 or +2 bonus rather than an advantage ?
First example: Since i dont, i believe it would not change my experience much. laugh
Second example: You are right, i dont know ... since there is no way to try. But i dont feel like it should be my fault. :-/

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Many of us raised facts while many of you just raised nothing.
This is simply not true ...

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm still waiting for someone to give arguments and explain why he love things like they are/why he wouldn't like things like it's suggested (closer to Raw with specific homebrew)... But it looks that it won't ever happen.
Honestly im asking myself why even bother. laugh

If you read your whole post ... you describe me as lowest of the lowest, stupid, deaf, blind, ignorant, keep repeating the same ... even if us, specificly you and me, actualy argumented about several things in several topics allready ... and even tho i admit that was not allways the case, at least "some" of those arguments were good, when we BOTH have reasons, explains, examples, etc.
Yet, few topics later in your eyes im once again just another head in crowd, where everyone have the same opinion, just bcs that one next to him said so. laugh

And its not just about "myself" even tho i believe its understadable that is something that i notice the most. laugh
But look how people around here is talking to Larian? "You did nothing", "You adressed NONE important topic", "You tuned useles s*it, but ignored important" ... nothing here, nothing there ...

In short, as long as the best i can get is "it would be better" the best i can offer it "it would not."

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
And ? Read those books Tuco's talking about...
You know, this might be a surprise for you, but im actualy reading it all. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 11/06/21 01:32 PM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by TestyMcTesterson
What a disingenuous take. You spend time everyday arguing against peoples reasoned opinions over multiple posts (with most limited to aspects of the game itself, not even referencing tabletop) and still take the reductive position that such opinions are usually clueless or based on grumpiness.

I genuinely don't think you want anyone to provide feedback in EA, you spend so much time trying to dismissively stamp out any topic that is not 100% positive.
To be completely honest ...
In fact, as I read this post, I wonder if you are lying out of ignorance or intentionally ... and if this is the second case, then why.

Unfortunately, the opposite is true, I have already supported many proposals here, which were more than just a little negative and I am not interested in positivity or negativity in principle ...
I just have slightly different opinions than the others ...

Once again, unfortunately, the display of all posts from that person is currently out of order, so you would have to search for my posts via the "search" button, which I quite doubt you would bother.
However, I still wonder if this personal attack was necessary at all.


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Jun 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Would you like the game less if you couldn't eat pigs head as a bonus action ?
Is there something in the game that forces you to do this? If you don't think it makes sense then don't do it.

Quote
Would you like the game less if being higher gave you a +1 or +2 bonus rather than an advantage ?
That's not D&D 5E rules. The DM awarding advantage where they think it is appropriate is.

Quote
Would you like it less if disengage as a bonus action was not allowed for everyone ?
Love the disengage mechanic. Works great for a video game.

Quote
Many of us raised facts while many of you just raised nothing.

The problem is that many folks get their opinion confused with facts.
This a forum for arguing for our personal preferences but that's all they are: personal preferences.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5