Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
I disliked "Keeps" every time a game tried to do it... aside from BG2 that is! I think the key is, that BG2 didn't really have a keep mechanic as such - just a short set of quests tied to our PCs class, set in an approprioate setting.

And it was super cool - to as a bard be able to run local theatre, or as a wizard to train your own apprentices. A nice way to "settle" our character, which was appropriate for where he/she was in the sequel.

I would be all for unique quest-lines depending on our PC's class. I think, however, that Origins in BG3 will fulfill that role.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
PLS NOPE.
Seriously, I don't remember the role-playing game that actually implemented this mechanic in any meaningful way. Usually it's an underdeveloped, boring job that quickly becomes no longer fun. I would prefer them to spend more time refining sensible mechanics.

It was really well done in BG2.

The Bard stronghold was genius and one of the best side quests in BG2.

old hand
old hand
I wonder if the folks who say this is an "odd idea" or "NOPE" have actually played BG2 and know what the others are even talking about. It's not like this was any real "world building" stuff. Just some fun mini quests for the player to goof off with that also make your playthrough feel more unique.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I doubt Larian will add something like this though.
It's not like if BG3 was inspired in any ways by BG1/2...
But yeah, this.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
apprentice
apprentice
I would actually think the "stronghold" would depend on whether or not you side with the cult of the absolute or with whatever other factions end up being available. They established a plot point of a Baldur's Gate VIP being kidnapped and in need of rescue, so depending on how that quest line gets completed (return him/her to Baldur's Gate safely, hand him over to Zhentarim or someone for ransom, or help the cult of the absolute return a doppleganger or tadpoled version of the VIP could all potentially result in your getting some sort of stronghold.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, Blackguard Ruling the de'Arnise Keep and Lands.
Ranger Ranger-Protector of the Umar Hills.
Paladin (except Blackguard) Paladin Stronghold Duties
Cleric Cleric Stronghold
Druid Heeding the Spirit of the Grove
Mage, Sorcerer Claiming the Sphere
Thief Thieves' Guild Stronghold
Bard Running the Five Flagons
This feels odd. O_o

I just dont like when game is forming itself around your class ...
It would be so much better if you simply get the same building, and you could make it whatever your would like ... along with some general options. :-/

It just feels the same as if you drag chainmail off your paladin, and put it on your barbarian ... and sudently *POOF* and it turns into two leather straps over the chest. laugh laugh laugh Simply wrong.

Oh is this a dragon age 2 reference...been so long, can't remember if that was a thing or not.

veteran
veteran
I wonder if maybe the moonrise towers might become our stronghold after we complete the quest there.

I'm also a little surprised how few people have played BG:2. To clarify a little, the quests related to every stronghold were available to all classes, but depending on your class they would continue on into the stronghold management quests. And yes, the bard stronghold is the best, and more or less main reason to play a bard.

veteran
veteran
I was thinking about what Maximuuus asked me last time ...
Why would druids accept my rogue as a leader.

How about they dont? laugh
I mean, i still dont like when developers decide for your character what kind of building he wants. :-/
So im still more in for leting us decide.

But i kinda like the idea that if druid would decide to have grove, he would be accepted as its member ... if non-druid would decide to have druid grove, he would be accepted as iniciate ... and before any other side quests starts, he would need to do some another side quest to "prove themself"?
How that sounds?

Originally Posted by fallenj
Oh is this a dragon age 2 reference...been so long, can't remember if that was a thing or not.
Actualy Diablo ... i didnt like DA:2 so i kinda speedrunned it. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 07/06/21 11:54 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
@ragnarokCzD Gotcha, would never of guessed that.

veteran
veteran
I just want a place where I can safely store stuff, and where all my companions who are not in my current party are gathered to make party changing easy. It would also be nice if this location had merchants to sell my loot and buy basic items. And it would be stellar if while in this location we had a party UI screen that showed all the companions on it including those not in the current party, to facilitate the distribution of equipment across all our companions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I just want a place where I can safely store stuff, and where all my companions who are not in my current party are gathered to make party changing easy. It would also be nice if this location had merchants to sell my loot and buy basic items. And it would be stellar if while in this location we had a party UI screen that showed all the companions on it including those not in the current party, to facilitate the distribution of equipment across all our companions.

Sounds like you want Cheers as your camp, so you can hang with your companions Cliff, Norm, Frazier, Carla and Diane....

"You wanna be where everybody knows your name...."

veteran
veteran
If we got to run a tavern in BG, that would be rad

enthusiast
enthusiast
I imagine we will have a base of operations to recoup and socialize with one another aside from the party camp when we reach the city of Baldur's Gate. We can't stay at any old tavern because it's probably filled with enemy spies, and staying outside the city leaves us too open to attack. My guess is somewhere in the Outer City close to the Baldur's Gate but not completely inside as travel will likely be restricted.

Evil always finds a way.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
I imagine we will have a base of operations to recoup and socialize with one another aside from the party camp when we reach the city of Baldur's Gate. We can't stay at any old tavern because it's probably filled with enemy spies, and staying outside the city leaves us too open to attack. My guess is somewhere in the Outer City close to the Baldur's Gate but not completely inside as travel will likely be restricted.

Maybe we can find an old abandoned and partially flooded mine near Baldur's Gate to use as a camp.

Nah, that would be daft.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Would be intrigued if they did something like the PoE1 Castle of Nua or something similar. c: Or even a boat like DoS2 or PoE2 laugh

The one thing I think that Larian seriously should consider well is that whatever kind of stronghold, housing or base of operation we get - we should be able to get something that makes sense for our characters.

Basically: if we get a structure of any kind, let us set the mood if we are to reside there a lot. Cozy traveler's rest? No problem. Torture chamber for the dark queen? Sure. Both? ... Ehm, sure - why not? I am thinking something along the lines of the option list when developing your capital in Pathfinder Kingmaker.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheAscendent

Maybe we kill Cazador and use his mansion/crypt/house as a base of operations? That meets the criteria of "somewhere in the Outer City close to the Baldur's Gate but not completely inside" wouldn't it.

(Nah that would probably give Astarion even more PTSD.)

Hey mr_planescapist smile
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Not sure if this was ever further discussed. Will strongholds be available in BG3?

As a reminder:
In BG2 during Shadows of Amn events, you have the opportunity to obtain a stronghold based on your class choices after the completion of certain quests. Each stronghold has its own functions, ranging from making more gold to creating exclusive magical items, obtaining a stronghold also opens up a series of subsequent quest chain, yielding more XP and rewards.

Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, Blackguard Ruling the de'Arnise Keep and Lands.
Ranger Ranger-Protector of the Umar Hills.
Paladin (except Blackguard) Paladin Stronghold Duties
Cleric Cleric Stronghold
Druid Heeding the Spirit of the Grove
Mage, Sorcerer Claiming the Sphere
Thief Thieves' Guild Stronghold
Bard Running the Five Flagons

I love the idea ! Having a place for the main character seems awesome, so +1 on your proposal.

Now that I have acknowledge that I am on same page, allow me some critics smile

1. Barbarian having a keep ? perhaps I don't know enough about Barbarian but aren't they a bunch of savages ? just provide a hut or something ?!

2. already not a big fan of the Paladin, you are suggesting that the reward should be to do some shift along some walls ... in an isolated place I guess ?
2a) why not promote the paladin to a lord where the "king" allocate a land and colony instead ?

3. Cleric, until they are useful in the game how about we lock them up in some monastery instead, huh ? smile Just kidding. But why cleric should be associate to a "stronghold" ?
3a. Perhaps provide them a church with a suit of followers ?

3. About the Thief, first why are thieves called thieves instead of rogue ?! In your idea, I have this image of a thief siting on a pile golds and finds. While rogue could be agent doing some under cover operation .. not necessary "stealing". Perhaps that's something D&D needs to change, this bad image.
3a. Rogue would have like a head quarter(HQ) to run operations with a guild and associate, or something like that.

But don't get me wrong, I'd prefer siting on a pile of gold rather than being on some sort of dutie watching a wall.

4. The bard running the Five Flagons smile How about having a "Manoir" with some antique/mystic items instead ?

Anyway, I'd be happy to iterate on your ideas wink

Last edited by Starlights; 16/06/21 02:59 AM.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
old hand
old hand
What he listed were the BG2 Keeps/Strongholds and thus the BG2 classes. Without getting into the more complicated stuff, Thief is the AD&D2 version of Rogue, or rather is the class that eventually became Rogue.
Those were the keeps each class would get, Funnily, in BG2EE Shamans don't get a keep as far as I know, which really frustrated me a bit.

D
addict
addict
D
The strongholds in BG2 were quite popular. They were basically side quests where you did a job related to your class skills. If I recall correctly multi-class and dual-class characters could pick which of the stronghold quest chains related to their classes to do, but they could only do one (I am sure that there were mods that relaxed that constraint).

The strongholds did not replace the common gathering places for your companions, which was the Copper Coronet for most of them, though some of them would head to other favorite places when not in your party.

In any case, I imagine that they would be quite a popular feature if they were added in to BG3 in more or less the same way. It would be a nice nod at the history of the franchise, and would probably be fun for new players as well. The quest lines tended to be fairly short, so I doubt that it would ad massively to the dev time either.

dwig #777078 16/06/21 04:47 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Starlights
1. Barbarian having a keep ? perhaps I don't know enough about Barbarian but aren't they a bunch of savages ? just provide a hut or something ?!

2. already not a big fan of the Paladin, you are suggesting that the reward should be to do some shift along some walls ... in an isolated place I guess ?
2a) why not promote the paladin to a lord where the "king" allocate a land and colony instead ?

It's not that you don't know enough about barbarian, or paladin, or cleric, but that you haven't played Baldur's Gate 2. He was listing the classes and strongholds in BG2. He also wasn't suggesting any "idea" specific other than that a stronghold idea in BG3 similar to that in BG2 would probably be nice. "Stronghold" is just a word people came up with for the building/faction that you become affiliated with based on the class of the main character, and you get a few side quests from it - quests you can only get if you play that specific class. It helps make your playthrough feel personal, and that your class choice matters. Whether your stronghold is a church or a hut or an entire region doesn't matter. You can have any sort of suggestion, but you're better off making your suggestion to Larian instead of to the OP.

Originally Posted by dwig
It would be a nice nod at the history of the franchise
Well let's hope Larian cares about making nods "at the history of the franchise" then. But to be honest, I think the suggestions that some have been making here, while nice, are way too complicated to hope for.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
veteran
veteran
What is wrong about Barbarian having a keep? O_o
I mean sure, stronghold is probably better word, but havent you played Heros of Might and magic? Barbarians there totally had keeps. O_o

I would say as long as Barbarian's keep is purely practical with no unnecesary decorations ... maybe except some skulls, pelts, spiked heads and simmilar barbarian stuff ... i could imagine them in keep quite easily.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 16/06/21 11:49 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard