Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
enthusiast
enthusiast
My laundry room flooded on sunday (grr!) and the thought crossed my mind, "I wonder if this counts as a flood that triggers a BG3 update?"
I have no association with Larian of course, though, so it did not. :P

stranger
stranger
Do we have a window on the next update? The lack of news is a bit concerning.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Minicrom
Do we have a window on the next update? The lack of news is a bit concerning.

They will be back "soon" with news.

That's what they said 4 weeks ago, without talking about a patch.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
At this point I just do not worry overtly about their silence to be honest, a lot of games I am following in EA have suffered slower than usual decelopment the past 1,5 year due to, among other things, the pandemic borking up all our lives. While I would love to hear from Larian, I have little doubt that Baldur's gate will be finished. It would be folly to expect a 2021 release though..

Overall my experiences with their past EA titles, such as Original SIn 1 & 2, give me little cause to be concerned though. I can only hope they will fix my biggest gripes with the game so far, namely get the cleric and druid spells out of my wizard spell list! lol. Oh and make stealth checks more frequent and have enemies look for you more actively, like they do (somewhat) in real time mode.

the barrelmancy end surfaces do not bother me too much, but tweaking the height advantage a bit for this title seems also to be a bit necessary. I would like height advantage/disadvantage only to apply to bows and cross bows for example... no need to make spells easier/harder to hit based on your position on the cliffside smile

And even though I've played every D&D title since Baldur's gate I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, as well as torment and the neverwinter night series.. the Larianisms don't bother me too much, but I guess I can be a minority in that.

It just needs tweaking, as I feel the height advantage seems to augment the already strong ranged classes a bit too much sometimes. Especially if they also have access to double attacks. But to get back on topic, Larian where art thou! Volo wants to help you fix your eyesight, him being the expert on well.. everything

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
it needs a lot of tweaking, and many things I expect to change quite a bit, I mean... a wizard learning all the spells under the sun? that would make druid and especially cleric pretty much not needed lol. Not sure if I believe the claim that it will be up to 3 times bigger than Original Sin 2 mapwise though. But I guess act I is already a lot bigger than the prison island from DOS 2. And we are still missing the overland routes of act 1 to get to moonrise (Mountain Pass and Shadowlands/Risen Road or some such).

But hey.. at least they made wizard feel a bit like it used to in BG I and II compared to Solasta lol. One of the drawbacks in wizards in that game, in my opinion is the inability to stack blur and the missing mirror image (still not sure why they took that out, lol). I cannot be the only one who loved stacking protections on your wizard before facing a dragon for example, in Baldur's Gate II.

Solasta might be more faithfull to the D&D 5E ruleset so far, but it felt a bit rushed sadly. The combat was nice and all in Solasta, but the story quickly fell off a cliff, well at least for me. I know it was due to budget constraints, but dogmatically sticking to their six month release window, hurt the game in the story department somewhat.

Last edited by Kimuriel; 16/06/21 10:48 AM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
But you can stack Mirror Image and Blur in DnD 5e, can't you?

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by zamo
But you can stack Mirror Image and Blur in DnD 5e, can't you?

as far as I know yes, since mirror image doesn't require concentration

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Ah gotcha, so is blur and mirror image supposed to be concentration based or durationbased under 5e? Bit hard to know sometimes. Too many games homebrew it for gamepurposes hehe. Overall happy with both games though. Just hope Larian will add some easy to use modding tools to BG3 to make it possible for community to come up with costum modules in case Larian never learns the art of expanding existing games hehe.

Last edited by Kimuriel; 16/06/21 11:21 AM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Kimuriel
Ah gotcha, so is blur and mirror image supposed to be concentration based or durationbased under 5e? Bit hard to know sometimes. Too many games homebrew it for gamepurposes hehe. Overall happy with both games though. Just hope Larian will add some easy to use modding tools to BG3 to make it possible for community to come up with costum modules in case Larian never learns the art of expanding existing games hehe.

blur is concentration based but lasts for a maximum of 1 minute. Mirror image is not concentration based, but lasts also for a maximum of 1 minute (in 5e). in the game, (I think) both last 10 turns.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Sigi98

blur is concentration based but lasts for a maximum of 1 minute. Mirror image is not concentration based, but lasts also for a maximum of 1 minute (in 5e). in the game, (I think) both last 10 turns.

Yeah that is correct, I wonder if we wil get spells such as shield in this, seeing it is not a spell with explosions.. Is Chromatic Orb still a thing in 5e?

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
My laundry room flooded on sunday (grr!) and the thought crossed my mind, "I wonder if this counts as a flood that triggers a BG3 update?"
Maybe it was not enough ...
Try to use more water next time. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Maybe it was not enough ...
Try to use more water next time. laugh
You could also try lobbing a water balloon at Swen, rusty armour might just be the motivation he needs smile

addict
addict
Meanwhile, on my third play through of BG2 since EA. Trying out the Bard Blade kit (with updated bard wizard spell progression and extra songs from ice wind dale via mods...) with a custom buffed up thief/mage pseudo dragon familiar smile
That greater Olyugh from the first dungeon is super OP (SCS/Revised battles mod) tricky fight. He summons Skeleton warriors and has tons of debuffs...
Go for the eyes BOO!!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 16/06/21 11:40 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
You could also try lobbing a water balloon at Swen, rusty armour might just be the motivation he needs smile
I dont know about Swen ...
But i would welcome water balloon in this hot weather sometimes. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 16/06/21 11:45 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
Yeah that is correct, I wonder if we wil get spells such as shield in this, seeing it is not a spell with explosions.. Is Chromatic Orb still a thing in 5e?

<Redacted>

Will have to wait and see anyway smile I'm not expecting the spell list to be as expansive as the original BG's anyway hehe. I hope if they do do cameos of original cast members of the old series, that they bother to get the OG voiceactors. Which is why I'd prefer them not to bring in old faces as such lol. Most of the time those cameos get a bit meh or overtly fanservice-ey

I'll probably do a 3rd playthrough of baldur's gate series again to get my D&D fix.. or might just finish Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 12:01 PM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
veteran
EDIT Wow, I did that.
Posting a message in the wrong thread 😑

Last edited by Maximuuus; 16/06/21 03:37 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
So to pass the time, I made a poll on Reddit purely in an effort to gauge everyone's priorities.

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...d_larian_prioritize_for_early_access_in/

We can crow about the design of the combat system all we like, but I do wonder what the community cares about *more*, which is why I deliberately left out 'closer to 5E rules' since that means so many different things (and encroaching into the 'add reactions' option). That's something that hasn't really been measured yet.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 16/06/21 09:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
So to pass the time, I made a poll on Reddit purely in an effort to gauge everyone's priorities.

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...d_larian_prioritize_for_early_access_in/

We can crow about the design of the combat system all we like, but I do wonder what the community cares about *more*, which is why I deliberately left out 'closer to 5E rules' since that means so many different things (and encroaching into the 'add reactions' option). That's something that hasn't really been measured yet.

that is an odd survey to put it mildly. What exactly am i voting for if i choose the 2nd option? the evil route? more companions? better interactions? All of the above? what made you choose those three specific things? Are those the most important things to everyone? Was there a survey to create the survey?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
that is an odd survey to put it mildly. What exactly am i voting for if i choose the 2nd option? the evil route? more companions? better interactions? All of the above? what made you choose those three specific things? Are those the most important things to everyone? Was there a survey to create the survey?

Yeah, I could have worded the second option better. I basically tried to balance out the poll options by sort of categorizing them as such:

- The first option is for people who prioritize the combat design.

- The second option is for people who prioritize reactivity, story/writing, and party interactions.

- The third option is for people who prioritize character customization.

I originally had 4-5 options, but decided to try to condense them into what you see now, because I knew reactions were going to win in a total uncontested landslide otherwise because the other four options would have split votes to hell.

Poll making is harder than I imagined.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 16/06/21 10:01 PM.
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Yeah, I could have worded the second option better. I basically tried to balance out the poll options by sort of categorizing them as such:

- The first option is for people who prioritize the combat design.

- The second option is for people who prioritize reactivity, story/writing, and party interactions.

- The third option is for people who prioritize character customization.

Which option for us that want Larian to add more classes so that we get a proper chance to test them out before launch? D: The biggest priority imo would be to add more classes / subclasses so that the community can try them and see how well they work with the Larian homebrews. :]

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard