Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dez
Which option for us that want Larian to add more classes so that we get a proper chance to test them out before launch? D: The biggest priority imo would be to add more classes / subclasses so that the community can try them and see how well they work with the Larian homebrews. :]

I left out more classes because that's the obvious priority and I imagine Larian is working on that above all else already. But on second thought, I should have included that.

What I should have actually taken into account was multiclassing, which someone on Reddit already pointed out... But at the same time, working on multiclassing now is probably a bad idea without having all of the classes available first.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by Dez
Which option for us that want Larian to add more classes so that we get a proper chance to test them out before launch? D: The biggest priority imo would be to add more classes / subclasses so that the community can try them and see how well they work with the Larian homebrews. :]

I left out more classes because that's the obvious priority and I imagine Larian is working on that above all else already. But on second thought, I should have included that.

What I should have actually taken into account was multiclassing, which someone on Reddit already pointed out... But at the same time, working on multiclassing now is probably a bad idea without having all of the classes available first.

Oh... Okay, option 2 it is!

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
Voted for option 2 for more companions and banter. I rarely play the evil path in games, though, so it was strange to have that grouped with wanting more companions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I voted for option 2 too.
I read Improving the evil path as "making the story around the evil path make more sense", which would be good, and of course anything to do with companions, banter, character development etc gets my vote. smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Voted for option 2 for more companions and banter. I rarely play the evil path in games, though, so it was strange to have that grouped with wanting more companions.

I grouped that there because the biggest criticism of the evil path is that it currently locks you out of one of the companions, it feels completely unrewarding, and that it's seemingly extremely poorly written otherwise. As I've said, option 2 is basically the 'story/writing/party interactions' option above all else. Though I should have listed 'improved Evil path' last in that option instead of first.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 16/06/21 11:03 PM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I'd have voted for a mix for 1 and 2 if possible haha. But better evil path and companions are always welcome. Would be nice if Larian hinted at what sort of good companians and other alignments they have planned though. Personally I expect Halsin to be a possible companion, just seems odd to have him sit around the camp all day :s

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kimuriel
Personally I expect Halsin to be a possible companion, just seems odd to have him sit around the camp all day :s

At this point, there might be riots in the streets if Halsin doesn't become a full fledged companion for later parts of the game... smile

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Personally I expect Halsin to be a possible companion, just seems odd to have him sit around the camp all day :s

At this point, there might be riots in the streets if Halsin doesn't become a full fledged companion for later parts of the game... smile

Riots? some might even start world war 3! haha. In all seriousness though, he is pretty well written and he makes a nice druid companion. Hope they do more with Khaga as well once you thwarted her plans or something.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Alexandrite

Please have your full-fledged companion in return for a half-fledged elf wink

Though, I would rather like to see non-tadpole followers/companions that will enter for a limited time to accomplish a specific goal. Perhaps even making these +1 to normal party size limit, allowing for some more large-scale battles - while also throwing a bone to the many who wanted larger parties.

veteran
veteran
So to pass the time, I made a poll on Reddit purely in an effort to gauge everyone's priorities.

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...d_larian_prioritize_for_early_access_in/

We can crow about the design of the combat system all we like, but I do wonder what the community cares about *more*, which is why I deliberately left out 'closer to 5E rules' since that means so many different things (and encroaching into the 'add reactions' option). That's something that hasn't really been measured yet.
I voted the first because having a "mechanically tight" game is by far the first priority and the FOUNDATION on which everything else should be built over, as far as I'm concerned, but I'll second that it's a bit of a strange poll in terms of options offered.

For a start it's dangerously close to a false dichotomy since none of these options is strictly mutually exclusive and there's a also a blatant disproportion on the workforce involved in achieving each of them (first and third points piled together arguably don't come close to the overall cost implied in the second point).
Last but not least, I'm not sure how to feel about having the "evil path thing" (something I personally hardly even care about) with having a lot more reactivity and interaction between companions/characters (something that on the other hand I would like to see a lot).

Last edited by Tuco; 17/06/21 09:23 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
I can see why you'd say that from a cost standpoint, but again, the only thing I'd be interested in is gauging what the general priority should be: Combat, Writing, or Customization. Although I probably really should have just *really* split up the options, but at the time that I originally considered doing that, I also realized that a lot of options weren't really mutually exclusive either and splitting those up made little sense. Which is why they were tightened up as they were. Maybe too tight in hindsight.

- Reactions and Ready Actions will likely use the same type of coding on a fundamental level. And resource-related abilities such as Smite probably will as well.

- Again, I probably shouldn't have listed 'Improved Evil Path' first for option 2. I only grouped that in there because the biggest complaint about it is that it's pretty nonsensical compared to the regular path, AND you lose a companion doing it. Improving reactivity and writing in general would lead to the evil path getting improved too. I initially wanted to put in 'improved cinematics' in that option too, but decided against it because it's super vague as hell and also a given (which is also why I didn't put 'additional classes' as an option either, because we already know that's the absolute highest priority).

- The third option is pretty self-explanatory.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 17/06/21 10:28 AM.
veteran
veteran
It indeed should have ben named better. :-/

I voted for first option, since third one is in my opinion granted, so there is no reason to vote for it. :P
And since second didnt make much sence to me, after all im completely OKEY with how "evil" game lookalike. :P

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 17/06/21 10:51 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Eh, what's done is done at this point. I tried. :P

Not exactly interested in getting into a poll-related argument after observing how it derailed a different thread a couple weeks ago, ha. Someone else should take a swing at it in about 2-3 weeks if we still don't hear anything about the next update by then.

- Again, I probably shouldn't have listed 'Improved Evil Path' first for option 2. I only grouped that in there because the biggest complaint about it is that it's pretty nonsensical compared to the regular path, AND you lose a companion doing it.

How is it nonsensical? In the end both paths lead to infiltrating the evil cult in the Moonrise towers, but the 'evil' path gives you a much better cover story and cultists wont know you are a traitor by reading your memories about how you slaughtered True Souls in Act 1. 'Evil' path isnt about joining the Cult of Absolute because you believe their doctrine it's about feeling more comfortable when dealing with them on their turf.

veteran
veteran
I believe Saito didnt state his own opinion right now (unless its the same), but only told that "people complaining about" the most.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
How is it nonsensical? In the end both paths lead to infiltrating the evil cult in the Moonrise towers, but the 'evil' path gives you a much better cover story and cultists wont know you are a traitor by reading your memories about how you slaughtered True Souls in Act 1. 'Evil' path isnt about joining the Cult of Absolute because you believe their doctrine it's about feeling more comfortable when dealing with them on their turf.

I haven't done the evil path myself, I am only going off of what I've heard, and the general consensus is that it's awkward and unrewarding. I recall most of the objections revolved around losing Wyll with nothing to make up for the loss of a companion, and something to do with how Minthara behaves. That said, I haven't really seen anyone defending the evil path either.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 17/06/21 11:55 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Though, I would rather like to see non-tadpole followers/companions that will enter for a limited time to accomplish a specific goal. Perhaps even making these +1 to normal party size limit, allowing for some more large-scale battles - while also throwing a bone to the many who wanted larger parties.

Yes even this would be really good!!
We already have the ability to take some specific NPCs along for short quests (Us, Glut), would be nice to be have them for, say, an entire act of the game before having to part ways.

Last edited by Alexandrite; 17/06/21 12:00 PM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Evil paths are usually a bit meh in most RPG's sadly. Either you go full ham cartoon villain or you still end up facing the badguy for reasons and plot railroading xD. I do not recall how it worked in the previous BG's either to be honest. I generally gravitate towards good or grey-ish morality at best in most roleplaying games. And I guess that also explains why half the time Astarion and Lae'zel hate my guts haha. Although Neil Young's Astarrion dialogue turning your PC down at the post druid grove is pretty rewarding in of itself. As if I'd ever romance a character that reminds me too much of the nobleman's NPC's from the original Baldur's Gate. Away with you beggar! And fetch me my golden pantaloons fortwith you smelly peasant!

enthusiast
enthusiast
I haven't done the evil path myself, I am only going off of what I've heard, and the general consensus is that it's awkward and unrewarding. I recall most of the objections revolved around losing Wyll with nothing to make up for the loss of a companion, and something to do with how Minthara behaves. That said, I haven't really seen anyone defending the evil path either.

Give it a try, definitely.
But yes you do lose Wyll, and because Minthara isn't a full companion like Wyll is, a one night stand with her isn't really a fair tradeoff. The "evil" path currently feels lacking in story surrounding it, it's not nearly as fleshed out story-wise as the "good" path is. Less conversations, less reasoning overall for it. (Also I did an evil playthrough immediately after a Tiefling Druid playthrough, so I felt awful about slaughtering Tieflings and Druids!)
Also it's interesting to see the companions' reactions, taking them down the "evil" path with you, and how this affects them.

[quote=Alyssa_Fox]I haven't done the evil path myself, I am only going off of what I've heard, and the general consensus is that it's awkward and unrewarding. I recall most of the objections revolved around losing Wyll with nothing to make up for the loss of a companion, and something to do with how Minthara behaves. That said, I haven't really seen anyone defending the evil path either.

It's not really awkward and unrewarding if you look at the bigger picture. There are gonna be some negotiations with the Cult leadership in the future and while you pose danger to them because of your knowledge about tadpoles being the real source of True Soul power, being friendly towards the cult, not trying to deceive or harm them will help you get some kind of deal with the leadership. The real reward here is that you don't have to worry about someone reading your memories about killing True Souls in Act I once you get to the Moonrise Towers, you will feel much more comfortable and secure compared to an infiltrator who saved the grove.

Losing a companion isn't such a big deal if you don't actually use him. It makes sense, considering that he is a good person. Gale too wants to leave the party but can be persuaded to stay. I let both of them go for my evil playthrough, because I was using only astarion, shadow, laezel anyway.

Minthara makes total sense too. You are a danger to the Cult, because, once again, you know the truth about True Soul powers coming from an illithid tadpole, that's why Minthara gets an order to kill you after you wipe tieflings and druids together, but she can be easily persuaded into becoming your ally, giving you an extra route to Moonrise Towers and promising to meet you later.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard