Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23
addict
addict
(ooh, hold on a minute, I have to add a little more chocolate sauce to my fry pan ... gotta carmelize the salmon a little more ... OK!)

I can understand why developers do not participate on chat boards or other public forums. It is definitely a double-edged sword, and I think the etiquette has changed a lot since the late 90's. John Winski was pretty vocal about the futility of posting on the BioWare boards, but yet many other staff members posted regularly and I believe some threads did actually result in game improvements and new features (and NPC characters!). I really appreciated the ability to correspond directly with the BioWare creators, and to know that they heard my ideas. It was fun, and I definitely felt like a human community member. I think keeping that community spirit alive was a driving motivation for Neverwinter Nights.

As I have said before, there is a difference between a bunch of game developers trying to form a business, versus a business trying to develop a game. Part of the magic of Baldur's Gate was that the community was right there on the ground level with the developers. And that is where I want to be with Larian, too! So if Larian employees cannot post openly, so be it, I will assume they are still lurking in the background, and I will talk about the same things I would have said if they were posting officially. For example, the City of Brass adventure still needs some attention ...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Doesn't the surprise on the beach have to be Us.(The intellect devourer companion)
It's the only surprise that would be dependent on the choices made in the prologue.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Argyle
(ooh, hold on a minute, I have to add a little more chocolate sauce to my fry pan ... gotta carmelize the salmon a little more ... OK!)

Mmmm. I'm feeling lazy tonight so I'm going to stick with my old standby of yogurt and ketchup.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Alodar
Doesn't the surprise on the beach have to be Us.(The intellect devourer companion)
It's the only surprise that would be dependent on the choices made in the prologue.

Us sounds like a really good guess to me, but Swen did mention changes to the tutorial, so there could be other choices and other consequences... (I still think Us is a high probability though).

veteran
veteran
Being able to keep Us around would be quite the disappointing surprise, if that’s actually it.

Also, no way I’m keeping that disgusting little fucker alive out of the ship in any of my playthrougs.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
A quick synopsis of the interview for those who don't want to watch a video recording:

This will mostly focus on Sven's responses, but in a few places it will be pertinent to mention the interviewer's questions or comments as well. My own cross comments are spoiler tagged for those who just want the raw 'what was said'.

The opening comments from Sven are that the long radio silence means that they are busy; he later comments to say that if they aren't silent they don't get anything done. It seems to run counter to the concept of the community engagement that was advertised initially.

Niara's Comment: I do find myself wondering why Sven believes that having a community voice to keep touching base with their EA testers is somehow mutually exclusive to a productive work environment.

He tells us that the next update is coming soon(tm), and that they are focusing a lot on the community feedback they've received. He says they're focusing on game features and not new content (presumably for the update, since he talks multiple times later about the fact that they're working away on the rest of the game), and that it addresses a lot of the things they've been reading.

Niara's Comment: Unfortunately, Sven and Larian have said these exact things before, many times now, and to date have offered very little evidence to support it. Patches are growing longer and longer between times, despite the company making statements each time that they intend the patches to come faster. They've said they listen to and make changes based on community feedback, but to date, almost nothing of any significance has actually been changed from Larian's original vision – a small to moderate handful of fairly sideline effects. Removed surfaces from a couple of cantrips was probably the biggest one, with Larian mostly doubling down on their own ideas no matter the volume of community feedback against them. This rhetoric just doesn't mean anything any more; it's not convincing, and it won't be until we see something that actively restores that good faith... I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do see something that does this, but I'm not expecting any such thing – this is the situation that repeating this rhetoric with nothing to show for it, time and again, has left me in.

When asked about what they've learned since adding druids back in February (four months since the last update), Sven comments that: “What we learned from bears is that on-boarding is important”.

Niara's Comment: Another remark that makes it feels like he has really no respect or care for the system they're supposed to be working within...

He briefly explains further by saying that they'll try to explain the rules and game mechanics better; not just through tutorials, he says, but, ehh, really, ah, a whole, erm, bunch of things, really, a lot. He goes on to further explain: “I'm being vague, but it's cool stuff, really, erhm, things that... make.. the game, ehm, better.”

Niara's Comment: Okay, so, this isn't heavily scripted interview, and Sven is not a comfortable public speaker unless he has a solid script (and not even really then), and that's okay. I'm being harsh on him here... but at the same time, answering with vague, empty platitudes and assurances that's it's cool stuff doesn't help anyone, especially when his recent comments about cool stuff revolved around the cool and funny ways he could exploit and break the game and do immersion-breaking nonsense to break the mechanics. That's not a lot of people's ideas of fun. We've seen that his idea of making the game better involves giving everyone over-powered extra abilities that obliterate all other forms of tact or class distinction; many, many people vocally disagree with this, but there's no indication that that's been taking on board.

He comments that combat is a big focus for them right now, because they've seen that a lot of players are not getting what they want out of combats. He goes so far as to confirm that they may even be making major changes to some existing systems in the game... he doesn't elucidate on how, but then makes some other comments that make this initially promising statement more troublesome.

He says they'll be trying things out to see what works and what doesn't, before doubling down again on his rhetoric that tabletop doesn't translate well into a video game (despite mountains of evidence to the contrary); he says they're willing to turn things around “if they think it's necessary”. His comments go on to say that melee characters don't have enough to do; that fighter is a tutorial class that leaves players with little to do, that players coming from D:OS/2 want to be able to do more, more quickly, and that while this isn't that sort of game, they need to give them something more, and that they really do love the shove and throw mechanics and systems, and that they are working really well.

Niara's Comment: What started out as a positive, and hopeful-seeming comment quickly spiralled here. Sven doesn't really sound like any of his thoughts or opinions on what makes for a good or fun combat system have changed, and while he said they're making big changes to the systems, he didn't give any indication of what or how; instead, he said they'd change “If they felt it was necessary”, and then up-sold how awesome he felt shove and throw were, and how well they were working – so it seems clear that the overwhelming weight of voices regarding those particular mechanics are not on the chalkboard for being listened to, at all. Rather, this comment ends up making it sound like they're changing the system to make it MORE comfy for D:OS players - at the expense of D&D feel - coming in who want more things to do per turn, which is a disastrous take-away, from my perspective.

I'm also deeply bothered by the way he talks about melee classes having little to do, how that's a problem that only really affects the first two or three levels, by his own admission, and then, in the same breath more or less, about how they're tailoring game mechanics that will affect everyone, and every class, for the entire spectrum of the game, based on that. That's just a ridiculous course of action; it's a grab for instant gratification with no thought towards long term consequences, which is, I must say, signature for Larian design, and showing no sign of changing...

The next couple of minutes involve comments to the extent of saying that the game is bigger than anything they've done before (we know this already), that it takes time to make things, and that more will be coming eventually, because they are in fact, going to release a full game, even if the EA is only act one. That there is a lot of work being done, that a lot of stuff is happening, which will, he assures us, make the game a lot better.. again, with no indication of what he means by that and with no actual information. He comments that sometimes people will play and wonder why they decided to do something, or focus on something, but that it will all become clear, he promises.

Niara's Comment: This is more empty air time, filled with more non-statement and empty platitudes; it is a meander of words that convey a complete lack of meaningful communication.

Something curious happens in the next part of the interview: They talk about release times, and Sven laments the setbacks caused by the Covid crisis, the difficulties with VAs and motion capture - major issues that were reported on last year. The interviewer then asks: “Full release, is 2020 ballpark what you're aiming for?” To which Sven responds: “We would be happy if we can release next year, yes.”

Niara's Comment: When was this interview recorded again?

Sven is asked about releasing to next gen consoles, but if firmly making no comment about that question; fair enough.

Next up the interviewer informs us that, apparently, everyone misses seeing Sven in his armour, and this is the thing that he sees most commonly asked about on the BG3 reddit... Yeah, no... Regardless this segues into questions about whether or not there will be a new Panel from Hell, for the next major patch. Sven is pleased to inform that yes, indeed, there will be another one ,and that they are working on it already, and that they have some very, very special plans for it.

Niara's Comment: Given the absolute travesty and waste of resources the last PfH was, and what a ludicrous procession of badly managed smoke and mirrors it turned out to be... I'm really despairing at the announcement that they are sinking even more time, effort, money and resources into putting on another one. As though THIS is what they need to be dedicating time, money and resources to... This is the last thing in the world that they need to be using their valuable resources on. It's frankly disheartening to hear them talk about the constraints of time and effort and the difficulty they have tackling various elements of their project... and then have them turn around and happily advertise this absolute waste of time, money and resource that could and should be actively being put into making the game. A panel stream for announcements and information, great, that would be great. A colossal waste like the last one, please, for the love of light don't.

Bonus Edit: Just checked a scan of every thread posted or posted in over the last 14 days on the BG3 reddit... didn't find one instance of anyone saying anything about missing Sven in his armour or wanting to see it again.

When questions about DM mode and DM tools, Sven quite firmly asserts that their main focus is on getting the game done, and that that's where all of their efforts are right now. He doesn't drop the classic developer line of saying “we'd really like to”, he just says they aren't working on it.

Niara's Comment: Getting the game done is where all the focus of their time, money and resources are going right now. … apart from, you know, taking time, money and resources to plan a superfluously excessive panel show, as he just finished mentioning. That aside, I think it's fair enough to say that that's not a feature they're working on right now, while there's still so much of the game left to get taken care of. That's fair. If they were legitimately putting all of their production time and resources into doing that, I'd be content... but coming off the back of his talking about how they're planning something spectacular for the next panel show, it just makes me agitated instead.

Next, er, Sven likes beaches? The beach is getting better and better? Every time he starts up the game, the beach just seems better and better... and apparently there's going to be a big surprise on the beach next patch, that may have long-reaching ramifications, depending on your decisions.

Niara's Comment: Sven's love of beaches, and waking up on them, is apparently why we start this game waking up on something that looks like a beach, rather than the river bank it's supposed to be. We can see this in the way Sven talks about it as a beach and terms it thus, even though it's meat to be a river bank... and geographically not a sandy one either. That aside... Another intro event is being hinted at; the combination of him saying that it's something that,many players have given feedback about wanting, and as being something that may have large potential ramifications alter, leads some to suspect that what he's getting at is that we may be able to keep Us with us a little while longer.

Personally, I'm all for this, as it means that I may some day be able to have my PC, Scratch, Us and the Owlbear Cub as my full 4-person party, and thus have a better team dynamic and more palatable friends than the current companion selection.

Sven rounds out the interview by also commenting that all of their effort goes into the things you'll never see, and that everything they do is so much work because of the approach that they're taking.

Niara's Comment: What I'm curious about is why this popped up as a random interview showing up now, with zero official communications from Larian directly or word from them on any of their media platforms. Instead, a large portion of the content on their twitter feed right now is actually relating to D:OS2 in various ways.

Last edited by Niara; 18/06/21 05:35 AM.
veteran
veteran
I wish I was as articulate and organized as niara. Why is she always right?

veteran
veteran
Thankyou, hehe, but I assure you I'm not... I try, but I make plenty of bad calls, I promise ^.^

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Being able to keep Us around would be quite the disappointing surprise, if that’s actually it.

+1

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
EvilVik Offline OP
OP Offline
Sven did stress in the video that they are trying to push the next update to be released soon, but they want it right before they do.

I imagine a lot of the developers are going on a few weeks summer holiday now as well - I know I am 😉. So the question is if we get it before end of August. I doubt it

veteran
veteran
Good summary and insightful comments as always, @Niara.

2 comments
Originally Posted by Niara
When asked about what they've learned since adding druids back in February (four months since the last update), Sven comments that: “What we learned from bears is that on-boarding is important”.
- Niara's Comment: Another remark that makes it feels like he has really no respect or care for the system they're supposed to be working within...
First of all, Swen says "What we learned from players" not "bears". Not sure if this is a typo or you misheard (or I can't find that specific "bear" dialogue line).
Your comment here seems a bit harsh (I'm assuming because of ^)? As apparent from forum posts, there are many things in BG3 that aren't adequately explained and leave people confused. BG3 definitely needs to have an improved tutorial, especially for teaching what things are D&D and what are Larianisms. This was the aspect of the interview I was ~most happy with.

Originally Posted by Niara
Something curious happens in the next part of the interview: They talk about release times, and Sven laments the setbacks caused by the Covid crisis, the difficulties with VAs and motion capture - major issues that were reported on last year. The interviewer then asks: “Full release, is 2020 ballpark what you're aiming for?” To which Sven responds: “We would be happy if we can release next year, yes.”
- Niara's Comment: When was this interview recorded again?
I think the interviewer was asking "twenty twenty-what?", trailing off and leaving Swen to fill in that final digit. 2021 or 2022 or 202X

veteran
veteran
If indeed he said 'Players' and not 'Bears' then that's certainly on me for mishearing. "Players" would make more sense....

Edit: Relistened, I'll grant that he is almost certainly saying 'Players' there, my mistake. I sometimes struggle with Sven's accent and mild mumbling, and the screen at the time was specifically showing a druid turning into a bear, and I guess that's where my brain went, so yeah, that's on me.

Last edited by Niara; 18/06/21 06:40 AM.
veteran
veteran
When I'll have a bit more time, I'll wrote a thread to Swen to explain him WHY melee classes ARE fun and definitely HAVE things to do despite not having to choose a button among 36.

I heard he like wizards and casters. But he definitely don't know why melee characters including fighter are appealing. Clue : control the battlefield !

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/06/21 07:47 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Old school 90s priorities versus next gen lol (BG3 pic from their own Instagram...) . Larian turning into a AAA studio isn't helping either. This is turning into a PG13-simp game for the masses.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 18/06/21 08:13 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco

Also, no way I’m keeping that disgusting little fucker alive out of the ship in any of my playthrougs.

I don't like Us either! I usually squish it, can't stand it.

P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

I'm holding out for a repeat sensation of when I downloaded a mod for Fallout 4 that turned Dogmeat into a leveled companion, and then wondered why I ever bothered with all those humanoid npcs and their nonsense.

Last edited by Raze; 16/03/22 08:41 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
stranger
stranger
Hopefully the surprise on the beach is a neutral-good character stuck in a pod that we can release and have join the party. But that would be content and it sounded like content wasn't the focus of the next patch.

Maybe it will be a big pile of gold (like 20K) so we can buy things from the vendors rather than not having gold but having stuff we want at the vendors and then later having gold but not having the stuff we want at the vendors because they rotated the items out of stock. I'm collecting and selling spoons and cups for Christ's sake!

I'm hoping they've improved pathing so that when we tell the character to move from point A to point B (which is 3 steps and one "climb onto" away) the character doesn't turn around, climb a ladder onto the roof, walk to a higher roof, climb onto the higher roof, walk over to the edge, then throw themself off the building taking damage and going prone.

I'm hoping we can drop a dead party member from the party. I don't want to resurrect them at camp and then remove them from the party. When someone throws themselves from a cliff and dies, or when they walk through fire or acid and die (when the party members ahead of them managed to walk around the hazard, evidently by accident) I want them to stay dead. I'm not interested in paying for their resurrection. I'll just loot the body of anything useful and leave them. Bonus points to Larian if, at the end of the game, we'd get a cutscene that says so-and-so died after jumping off a cliff or while wadding through fire or acid. Put a dunce hat on their graphic and/or have townspeople pointing at their ghost and laughing.

Having more info in the popups about how long spells last and how other things work will be great. I hope that's what he meant when he spoke about on boarding. A lot of us don't memorize the rule books and it wouldn't matter if we did. We need to know how things work as Larian has implemented them for the difficulty level we're playing not what is in the rulebook.

I had to laugh when Swen nailed the fighter as an intro class. hehe Yup.
DM: Hey, there's this new tabletop game we can play. Here are some books to read and a bunch of funny shaped dice.
Group: (long explaination and Q/A session ensues)
DM: Look, just play as fighters until you get used to the rules.

Ah, I don't think I could play "clubs and sticks" as we used to call it nor even Cyberpunk tabletop any more. But I do enjoy cRPGs as long as there's a difficulty setting that doesn't bury me in busywork nor make up for simple enemy AI with mass attacks of regenerating hordes. Which leads to another change I'm hoping for: difficulty settings. That way Larian can stop nerfing things because some people complain the game is too easy. Larian can make the higher difficulty levels closer to the official D&D rules and less gold and more difficult battles. The mid-difficulty level can be the "BG3 for DOS2 audience". Easier levels can start with more stat points, more gold, some starter items, and better loot from battles (and more light battles). And my Ranger wants his d*mn Dire Spider back! (I'm pretty sure that's what it was before it was nerfed).

veteran
veteran
Us becoming a companion or pet "surprise" would be the exact kind of thing Larian would do and I would hate.

It was a really cool little detail in the tutorial. But if you overdo it, you will ruin it.

If the brain monster will hang out at your camp (like a certain undead character that already turned from creepy and intriguing into ridiculous and mundane) or follow you around in the city of Baldur's Gate, it's just stupid and then the world is expected to react to this weird brain monster. Which will cost a lot of development time which will be wasted on anyone who just chooses to kill such monsters on sight.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
There seems to be an uncomfortably large nuber of people coalescing around the idea that the goals of BG3 are wrong. That taking 5E as a base and tuning it to make something that would appeal to fans of Divinity Original Sin and tactical combat is just fundamentally something that shouldn't even be attempted. BG3 needs to be a strict interpretation of 5E and nothing else is acceptablr. Solasta did it and it appealed to a tiny number of existing fans of 5E so that's evidence it's the only possible solution.

If that's true (and honestly I can see the logic) it's still not useful feedback. Larian are all in on BG3 they simply cannot pivot it to being a niche product aimed solely at 5E purists. Nor can they ditch the 5E system at this juncture. BG3 is going to be a game based around giving each player several interesting choices every turn and minimising those turns in which a player rolls a dice, misses and nothing happens. They're not going to change that based on what people on the forum say. It's reasonable to be upset about this, it's not reasonable to expect this to change.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Rack
Solasta did it and it appealed to a tiny number of existing fans of 5E so that's evidence it's the only possible solution.

You mean the estimated 14 MILLION people that play D&D currently? And I don't understand the mentality behind thinking you SHOULD deviate from 5e for a video game. The system has been refined for years to be as balanced as they can possible make it. Is it perfect? Of course not. Have other games like Solasta and Pathfinder: KM been able to translate TT rules into fun and well done digital version? ABSOLUTELY. But Larian started this project by telling everyone they want to make BG3 as faithful to 5e as they possibly can. That sets an expectation. Come to find out that they decided 5e isn't popular enough with people (despite the ~14 million active players), and need to gamify almost the entire rule base in order to fit THIER vision of what 5e is, or should be. As a fan of Larian, DOS, BG, and D&D (DMing for over a decade) I can say with confidence that I honestly don't mind them changing a few things here and there as needed. I get it. But they have bastardized the ruleset SO MUCH, that it only vaguely resembles the original system. Its painfully obvious that they simply ported their DOS system into BG3 and then have been trying to fit the DOS engine into 5e. Instead of designing their foundation around the 5e system, which they probably should have done, they are now caught desperately trying to shove elements of 5e into their DOS engine to try to pass it off as a 5e system.

I'm not a purist by any means. Like I said, I get it. But when you start a project with the goal of making as faithful to the ruleset as possible, you set that expectation for people that play the 5e ruleset. And so far, the 'As close as possible' has turned into 'Meh, close enough'. And that's what upsets people.

Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard