Next Thread
Print Thread
#777366 18/06/21 11:09 AM
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Obsidian Entertainment did a fantastic job converting the Pillars of Eternity controls to console so how bout it for BG3?

Last edited by Zirus_Blackheart; 18/06/21 11:09 AM.

All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet - Hunter S Thompson
addict
addict
Seing the current UI, its pretty much a given that consoles are influencing the design.

old hand
old hand
Most likely it will be on consoles eventually. They recently took in a company who was experienced in porting their games to different systems. Though I will say on the UI of the game, I do agree it seems like it was made to be ported but I think that was a a bad call cause a good UI for PC can sometimes be a good UI for console.

journeyman
journeyman
It will come to every console, Switch included. They've literally bought companies that did the porting on DoS2 so release dates will be the same....assuming one of the big players haven't purchased 'early access'.

old hand
old hand
Actually, it'd be good if one of the big players bought Early Access I'd think, because the exclusivity would only be timed, it'd still release on PC, and said big company would actually help fund part of the game thus making it a lot more feasible for the game to include everything that is wanted of it.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Zirus_Blackheart
Obsidian Entertainment did a fantastic job converting the Pillars of Eternity controls to console so how bout it for BG3?

They do not even have the resources and manpower to pull off the PC project. Swen was just asked this and said no.

DM mode and console port are not the focus.

old hand
old hand
Those kinds of things are more late stage development anyways I think?
And we are actually still in early to mid stage.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 18/06/21 11:43 PM.
veteran
veteran
It probably will, at some point.
It will probably be MONTHS after the PC release at best, though.
And that's just in case agreements with Stadia don't extend that exclusivity period even more.

Still, apparently Stadia was paying companies a buttload of money for their temporal exclusives (going with the rumors we are talking borderline irresponsible amounts, sums that could fund the entire development a triple A release), so it's hard to blame whichever studio accepted the deal with them.

Last edited by Tuco; 19/06/21 03:01 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
It probably will, at some point.
It will probably be MONTHS after the PC release at best, though.
And that's just in case agreements with Stadia don't extend that exclusivity period even more.

Still, apparently Stadia was paying companies a buttload of money for their temporal exclusives (going with the rumors we are talking borderline irresponsible amounts, sums that could fund the entire development a triple A release), so it's hard to blame whichever studio accepted the deal with them.

Honestly, I like "temporary exclusivity" cause it actually funds games fairly well while still ultimately being consumer friendly in that after some time the game will be available on other consoles.
That said, for me it isn't likely going to get me to buy a Stadia any time soon.

veteran
veteran
I'm not sure I would play on Stadia if that was my only option. And I have a top-of-the-line optic fiber connection.

But then again I would never play a game like BG3 on a console, either.

Last edited by Tuco; 19/06/21 04:02 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I'm primarily a console person or have been. I used to play this on Stadia but I have Comcast and noticed I would get notices saying I'm reaching my monthly usage and would get charged extra. So I bought a laptop to play this game and others.

Depending on the game I will still play some on console. Or at least prefer using a controller.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I imagine they will in time. DOS1&2 were ported to consoles and they were amongst Larians greatest successes, given the Baldur's Gate fandom branching into consoles makes the most sense. They will probably do so 6-9 months after the game is released on PC for the newer generation of consoles, PS5 and XBOX Series X respectively. Larian made it very clear that the older generation consoles are not an option.

Evil always finds a way.
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Thx for the replies everyone hehe

Overall everyone's thinking it'll come to console, great!
I don't mind waiting till after it's been out for a while to get it because of timed exclusivity because I never buy games for at least a year after release anyway so I know the bulk if not all the bugs have been ironed out hehe

Cheers everone! hehe

All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet - Hunter S Thompson
https://segmentnext.com/2021/06/29/switch-pro-needs-more-power-larian/

I think it's fairly certain that BG3 is coming to consoles.

addict
addict
You can already play on the Stadia controller , so I imagine that will take no effort to port to consoles.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
You can already play on the Stadia controller , so I imagine that will take no effort to port to consoles.
It's not really a matter of effort that may end up delaying console ports, as much as the fact that Stadia paid a generous amount of money for exclusivity.

And if you are going to ask how do I know that Stadia paid a generous amount without knowing the specific of their agreement with Larian, the answer is that past months "indiscretions" revealed how Stadia paid insane sums to pretty much any studio they made agreements with.

addict
addict
Yes, Stadia has been/was paying many studios, yet I don't recall other AAAs being exclusive to Stadia and not consoles.

I think the deal for Stadia was mainly for EA to increase early adopters. I would expect console versions coming in about 1 year, exclusivity contract or not.

addict
addict
Oh, so there's why UI and controls is shit in this game. Yet again, thanks console ports!!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Oh, so there's why UI and controls is shit in this game. Yet again, thanks console ports!!

Thing is, I don't think thats the fault of the Console Port, cause issues with this UI and controls would extend to console cause I see no wayhow this would be intuitive with a controller. The issues are just that it is a bad UI and controls.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard