Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well, I thought it would be a cool option if our character could talk to himself by engaging in dialogue with him. I am not necessarily talking about "talking" to yourself (e.g asking questions and answering them), although if there were several dialogue options it could be one of them. Mainly, however, I thought that our character could, after establishing such a dialogue, say a thought aloud, something like "I have to remember to avoid deadly traps. Death would really spoil my day." This could be a nice diversion to the solo game, and when roaming with a party, party members could sometimes comment on the character speaking to each other. For example, worrying about her or mocking her or whispering to each other about this little quirk.

I don't know if something like this is already in the game, but if not, I think it could be useful. And sorry for my bad english. wink

old hand
old hand
So it's like Emily Kaldwin sometimes speaking her thoughts out loud in Dishonored 2, as opposed to the totally quiet Corvo in Dishonored 1. But now the player gets a prompt to choose what she says, out of several options.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
E
stranger
stranger
E
I could see this as being fun, entertaining, engaging and slightly useful based on hints.
Perhaps it could be linked to character background/race/alignment? Perhaps linked to a personality questionnaire at the beginning of the game?

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Oh yeah, I think it would be nice to combine that with race, character background or alignment of a character. And maybe additional options could appear after some more important events in the story, so that our character could comment on them.

veteran
veteran
You can see some introspective dia(?)logue with yourself, before going to sleep, if you play without companions ...
If that is what do you mean, then +1!

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
I think having more of that sort of thing would be a benefit to the game. A chance to flesh out and explore your characters internal life would probably help get us attatched to them. It might even be enough to quell the issues of custom PCs feeling boring compared to the Origin companions.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yes, I was thinking about introspective dialogues, and also speaking out random lines or monologues to myself during the lone journey, when there is no NPC on the horizon, which with one I could have a conversation or fight. I have always missed this in the original Baldur Gates while playing solo.

veteran
veteran
Having conversations with yourself would a good way of characterizing generic_pc characters. I remember someone bringing up the possibility of having conversations with the tadpole or "daisy" in a similar way. It's a little frustrating to me when Tav can choose actions without my ever knowing their motivations.

We get some conversations that kind of go in this direction, all I can think of now is the mirror dialogue outside the laboratory, but something like that falls short to me because I don't know how much that information is important to the world.

Last edited by Sozz; 09/04/22 01:03 AM.
old hand
old hand
Right, cause I am sure Larian hasn't already got tons of things to implement! =)

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Personally, I will not mind, if they add this function after the premiere of the game. Chances that I will buy it in the premiere day are and so low, so I can wait a moment. I just think that it would be more interesting if something like that be added.

Link Copied to Clipboard