Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23
veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Before EA was released to the public, Swen said that they started with a 100% faithful adaptation of the ruleset. They should have released the version that was closest to RAW for EA
I think you are over interpreting. Their "starting point" might have been RAW DnD, but it doesn't mean that they implemented whole system as in PnP and then changed it. As some of the original impomentations (like reactions) would require their own UI and systems, I find it more likely that they made the decision on how to impliment certain mechanics, before they started putting them in game. They are still putting stuff into the game, so certainy at no point was there a comprehensive, pure DnD BG3 build.

And if anything, EA is the perfect opportunity to test their homebrew ideas on the audience. There is no point on giving players raw systems, if you intend to change them.

worked from there together with the community to see what actually works for a videogame.
Community doesn't get to design the game. That never happens. At best we can be guinea pigs for Larian's mid development experiements.

Last edited by Wormerine; 21/06/21 08:30 PM.
veteran
veteran
Swen said that they started with a 100% faithful adaptation of the ruleset. They should have released the version that was closest to RAW for EA instead of the ~50% version we got and worked from there together with the community to see what actually works for a videogame.

Let's be honest, what that means was, they flipped through the Source books for 10 minutes and said "BORING" and started with DOS2 instead.

Originally Posted by Tuco
I honestly don't think WotC gives a shit as long as BG3 is going to make a lot of money.

also, this. WotC is not quite as bad as Games Workshop, but give them time, they'll get there

Last edited by Boblawblah; 21/06/21 08:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sharp
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Steamspy "data" is not particularly useful, imo. Firstly, it obviously leaves out a lot of other ways in which people may be buying their games. But even taking it to represent Steam sales data is highly flawed because Steam uses ranges of sales, 200k to 500k, 2m to 5m, etc. And then people conveniently latch on to the high end of the range and claim that is the sales number. So for BG3 EA, for example, if it falls in the 2 - 5 m range, BG3 fans of course want to claim the sales figure is 5 m which is quite ridiculous. At best I would say it is likely sitting right at 2 m.
Steamspy is very useful. The data from it is used by a lot of publishers as well as developers to make a case for whether or not there is a business sense in making a specific game. Considering that, last I checked, Steam makes up 90% of the sales on PC its very close to a monopoly and using sales data from Steam is probably fairly accurate. Those ranges are there to provide a (from memory) 95% confidence interval and the data is not provided by steam, it is extrapolated via things like achievements data. Its highly unlikely the sales figures exist outside of that range. Trying to make assumptions like, "BG 3 is at 2m and Solasta is at 500,000" is a misunderstanding of the methodology used to extrapolate that data to begin with. Its also misunderstanding the use case of this information.
No these are not margins of error. They are ranges. And saying a sales figure falls somewhere between 2 million and 5 million is the equivalent of saying nothing at all. It is completely useless information and does not qualify as data. You cannot input a range into a dataset. It makes no sense. In the case of BG3, is it 2 m? Is it 5 m? Is it something else? Who knows. And it makes a HUGE difference whether it is 2 m versus 5 m. And if Steamspy is saying "we don't know if it is 2 m or 5 m," then they are literally saying there is a margin of error of something like 95% to what they're saying, and anything with that huge a margin of error is useless information.

Originally Posted by Blackheifer
In terms of how many people signed up for the BG3 EA I think 2 Million is a safe number.

In terms of Solasta I am hoping that the number is 500k but you are right (or according to your logic) it could be as low as 200k. Which would mean 5 Million profit on a 250k investment. Still good but less promising.
Yes, exactly. My way of interpreting any numerical information provided to me in the form of a range is to use the lowest end of the range as my number. That is what is most honest. So for Solasta, a game I backed and love, that number (per Steamspy) is 200k.

veteran
veteran
Before EA was released to the public, Swen said that they started with a 100% faithful adaptation of the ruleset. They should have released the version that was closest to RAW for EA instead of the ~50% version we got and worked from there together with the community to see what actually works for a videogame.

There was no 100% faithful adaptation which was also in end-user-playable form. That much is clear from what HAS been released. There are only a handful of classes and fewer sub-classes, many missing spells and mechanics, missing races, missing features like Expertise, and so on and so forth. Whatever they did have might have been rules-faithful, but it was only a partial amount of the possible game space. Even then, it was pre-alpha and thus unstable and not correctly working properly.

Also, games can't be developed by committee. Larian discovered this when trying to write the D:OS 2 Origin stories. Everyone at Larian could contribute ideas, but too many cooks spoil the broth and it had to be pared down to just writers in order to actually get them finished. Democracy doesn't work for development, a direction must be chosen and that enforced, otherwise it spins its wheels and gets nowhere.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No these are not margins of error. They are ranges. And saying a sales figure falls somewhere between 2 million and 5 million is the equivalent of saying nothing at all. It is completely useless information and does not qualify as data. You cannot input a range into a dataset. It makes no sense. In the case of BG3, is it 2 m? Is it 5 m? Is it something else? Who knows. And it makes a HUGE difference whether it is 2 m versus 5 m. And if Steamspy is saying "we don't know if it is 2 m or 5 m," then they are literally saying there is a margin of error of something like 95% to what they're saying, and anything with that huge a margin of error is useless information.

From Steamspy: About.
The margin of error is calculated based on 98% confidence (if you know your math). What it means is that around 2% games have wrong stats on Steam Spy that are outside of the stated margin of error.
So its even more accurate than I stated, using a 98% confidence interval rather than a 95% confidence interval. As for how accurate it is exactly, well, here are a few anecdotal testimonies from developers.

Whilst the exact margins of error are not provided to you unless you subscribe to the service, you can be pretty damn absolutely sure the margins of error are within the given ranges they provide there. Ergo, the statistic has some value. How about you actually learn something about Steamspy first before commenting on it?

Last edited by Sharp; 21/06/21 09:03 PM.
veteran
veteran
Hey thanks for the link. The original interview of Chris Cocks in the gamesindustry.biz article, which this article quotes, is even more informative. I for one am thrilled we will be getting so many other D&D games. At least this way, given how bitterly disappointed I am with BG3, I have those other games to look forward to as POSSIBLY being good D&D videogames I will enjoy playing (though definitely NOT Dark Alliance). The game being developed by Hidden Path Entertainment in particular (AAA open-world third-person game) has my strong interest.

veteran
veteran
So its even more accurate than I stated, using a 98% confidence interval rather than a 95% confidence interval. As for how accurate it is exactly, well, here are a few anecdotal testimonies from developers.

How about you actually learn something about Steamspy first before commenting on it?
That's an article from 2017. BEFORE the change to the default Steam profiles (used to gather Steamspy's data) that I was mentioning in my reply and that severely compromised Steamspy's reliability as a source.

It was also from a time where the "range" used as margin of error was measured in few thousands units at most (as you'll notice if you read the article you linked). Not hundreds of thousands or even millions as it is today.

Last edited by Tuco; 21/06/21 09:11 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
[quote=Sharp]

From Steamspy: About.
The margin of error is calculated based on 98% confidence (if you know your math). What it means is that around 2% games have wrong stats on Steam Spy that are outside of the stated margin of error.

Whilst the exact margins of error are not provided to you unless you subscribe to the service, you can be pretty damn absolutely sure the margins of error are within the given ranges they provide there. Ergo, the statistic has some value. How about you actually learn something about Steamspy first before commenting on it?
Yeah, don't be an ass. I'm quite confident my knowledge of statistics is way beyond yours.

All this is saying is that Steamspy has 98% confidence the true sales number falls somewhere between 2 million and 5 million. It is easy as pie to have that kind of confidence when you place your value between such a humongous range (i.e. margin of error). The confidence is not the issue. The range is the issue. In any other walk of life, if you gave someone a margin of error of 3 million and then said, "Don't worry; I have 98% confidence the true number is somewhere within that 3 million margin of error," they would laugh you out of the room.

enthusiast
enthusiast

How about you actually learn something about Steamspy first before commenting on it?
That's an article from 2017. BEFORE the change to the default Steam profiles (used to gather Steamspy's data) that I was mentioning in my reply and that severely compromised Steamspy's reliability as a source.
It didn't compromise the reliability, it should still have a confidence interval of 98%, its just given the fact that you have less useful data to extrapolate from, the size of the range has become much larger. Where as before they could estimate within say ~20,000 on a game with 10,0000,0000 sales, now they need to provide a much larger band (say 1,000,000) for example. Whilst the 2nd figure is less useful, it will still hit the mark just as often as the previous statistic did.

veteran
veteran
It was also from a time where the "range" used as margin of error was measured in few thousands units at most (as you'll notice if you read the article you linked). Not hundreds of thousands or even millions as it is today.
Exactly! Thanks for pointing this out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, don't be an ass. I'm quite confident my knowledge of statistics is way beyond yours.

All this is saying is that Steamspy has 98% confidence the true sales number falls somewhere between 2 million and 5 million. It is easy as pie to have that kind of confidence when you place your value between such a humongous range (i.e. margin of error). The confidence is not the issue. The range is the issue. In any other walk of life, if you gave someone a margin of error of 3 million and then said, "Don't worry; I have 98% confidence the true number is somewhere within that 3 million margin of error," they would laugh you out of the room.
Do I need to quote you again?
No these are not margins of error.
I was responding to this. We are in agreement now, they are margins of error, correct? If you are going to so confidently state something which is incorrect, be prepared to be smartassed out of the room. Furthermore, Steamspy collects many other analytics which are exceedingly useful. The analysis of user reviews as well as looking at trends like the day 1 concurrent player count followed by the decline in players are both useful points of data which can be used by someone who is new to the industry and potentially looking to make a new game to help them evaluate the market case for their potential game.

D
addict
addict
D
The range 200k to 500k may not be as useful as 210k to 220k... but to say that it is "useless" is a stretch. Obviously, the new data is much less precise, but it does allow you to conclude that Solasta outsold the game "My Friend Stalin" (0 to 20k owners) at a very high confidence level. Granted, you would probably guess that correctly too.

old hand
old hand
We are realistically not going to know the ultimate impact of what effect BG3 and Solasta will have on cRPGs moving forward, let alone the wider gaming industry, for years. It appears to me that we are finally seeing evidence of what impact DOS2's combat design is having on other games, with Project Triangle Strategy and Lost Eidolons incorporating field effect elements into their games that are obviously inspired by DOS2. Zoria: Age of Shattering appears to have adopted the AP system instead, and the devs for that game have been on record saying that they've been inspired by DOS2 (and it plays much closer to DOS1 compared to DOS2 otherwise).

That said, 200,000 minimum sales for Solasta isn't bad, and actually pretty decent given the context. I don't think anyone was expecting earth-shattering numbers, but I also don't think anyone was expecting Pillars of Eternity II levels of bomba either, which was the bigger worry. I don't think POE2 ever made it past 500k despite it having a much higher budget than most other cRPGs. I think Pathfinder: Kingmaker has gone past 1 million at this point, but it had an extremely rocky start due to being an unfinished buggy mess at the time, but the base game was so strong that it flipped its reputation around completely once it got fixed and now enjoys insane word of mouth.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 21/06/21 11:12 PM.
veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
It appears to me that we are finally seeing evidence of what impact DOS2's combat design is having on other games, with Project Triangle Strategy and Lost Eidolons incorporating field effect elements into their games that are obviously inspired by DOS2. Zoria: Age of Shattering appears to have adopted the AP system instead, and the devs for that game have been on record saying that they've been inspired by DOS2.
That's very possible, and I think there is a lot of good to learn from D:OSs design, especially when it comes to PC RPG design. Externalizing status effects, buffs and debuffs into visible hazards on the tactical maps is great, and It feels silly that D:OS had to remind people that AP is good.

It is very much modern XCOM situation - I very much like the presentation, but underlying systems need work.

old hand
old hand
DOS2 has good systems, I just wouldn't try applying them so strongly to DND.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My post had nothing to do with Solasta vs BG 3, just with the assertion that Steamspy is mostly useless now - its not. It is still exceptionally useful to potential developers, even if it is less useful than it was before. There is a reason it still exists and is maintained, because there is a very good business case for it and because the data has an audience that wants it.

Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
That said, 200,000 minimum sales for Solasta isn't bad, and actually pretty decent given the context. I don't think anyone was expecting earth-shattering numbers, but I also don't think anyone was expecting Pillars of Eternity II levels of bomba either, which was the bigger worry. I don't think POE2 ever made it past 500k despite it having a much higher budget than most other cRPGs. I think Pathfinder: Kingmaker has gone past 1 million at this point, but it had an extremely rocky start due to being an unfinished buggy mess at the time, but the base game was so strong that it flipped its reputation around completely once it got fixed and now enjoys insane word of mouth.

Regardless of whether Solasta sold 200,000 or 500,000 I still think it did pretty well. Even if we knew exactly how many copies it sold however, we could not properly estimate its gross revenue, let alone its profit, because the game is sold at different prices in different regions and we don't have access to a breakdown of the sales figures by region. Once the game has been out for longer, discounts will also complicate the matter. For those curious, here is the price of BG 3 and Solasta within different regions.

Solasta.
BG 3.

Last edited by Sharp; 21/06/21 10:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
DOS had plenty of lousy systems even ignoring the comparison with D&D, frankly.
It's a game that I liked despise some of its design choices, rather than because of it.

There's an underlying problem, though: it's a game that thanks to its high production value (nice enough graphics, fully voiced, pretty to look at, reasonably intuitive to approach, etc) popularized a former "niche genre" among people who never paid attention to it before, so these "new fans of the genre" now seem to think everything about its design was pristine and it can't be topped.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
DOS had plenty of lousy systems even ignoring the comparison with D&D, frankly.
It's a game that I liked despise some of its design choices, rather than because of it.

There's an underlying problem, though: it's a game that thanks to its high production value (nice enough graphics, fully voiced, pretty to look at, reasonably intuitive to approach, etc) popularized a former "niche genre" among people who never paid attention to it before, so these "new fans of the genre" now seem to think everything about its design was pristine and it can't be topped.

People are always afraid of changes. Almost like those despisable BG2 fans wink

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by virion
People are always afraid of changes. Almost like those despisable BG2 fans wink
I can't even tell what you are trying to say, frankly.

Nor I'm sure where the "fear of changes" even comes into play here.

Last edited by Tuco; 21/06/21 10:11 PM.

veteran
veteran
No these are not margins of error.
I was responding to this. We are in agreement now, they are margins of error, correct?
If you mean does Steam consider this to be a margin of error? Sure. But I don't, which is my whole point and what I was saying. No respectable statistician would consider claiming a range of 3 million as a margin of error (unless you're dealing with numbers that are astronomical).

But feel free to believe what you will.

Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard