Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23
veteran
veteran
Nah I vote for another dissapointing thursday.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
addict
addict
S
The broken condition of Cyberpunk 2077 (that I naively thought would be the game of the decade) coupled with the slow train-wreck of BG3, both from consumer-friendly companies that could do no wrong, has taught me not to expect much at all. Only way not to get disappointed wink

veteran
veteran
steam summer sale baby, who cares about BG3! Baldur's Gate I and II will be on sale for sure, play yourself some old school goodness! Just killed myself a level 8 vampiric wolf for 2k xp baby, nothing like it smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Seraphael
The broken condition of Cyberpunk 2077 (that I naively thought would be the game of the decade) coupled with the slow train-wreck of BG3, both from consumer-friendly companies that could do no wrong, has taught me not to expect much at all. Only way not to get disappointed wink

That's valid. Honestly I think we all need to stop investing ourselves so much in gaming companies even if they performed well in the past, its no assurance of future success. One thing I learned though is unless a company has an EA or demo available then pre-ordering should not even be an option.

Nothing good comes from pre-ordering a game without at least access to a tangible product.

Blackheifer
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Seraphael

That's valid. Honestly I think we all need to stop investing ourselves so much in gaming companies even if they performed well in the past, its no assurance of future success. One thing I learned though is unless a company has an EA or demo available then pre-ordering should not even be an option.

Nothing good comes from pre-ordering a game without at least access to a tangible product.

I agree with this. Unfortunately it is a lesson that I apparently need to relearn every 5 years or so.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Stay fresh, people. Today it might be the day for the update.
claphands

enthusiast
enthusiast

It's either going to be today or we are back waiting for the next week!

It's going to be the next week, isn't it?

If we get an update it will only be an update about when they be talking about the update and it will only be SoonTM

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

It's either going to be today or we are back waiting for the next week!

It's going to be the next week, isn't it?

If we get an update it will only be an update about when they be talking about the update and it will only be SoonTM

it'll be an update about the update ABOUT the update smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
claphands
"But it wasn't" - HiMYM Narrator Voice.

Last edited by Tuco; 24/06/21 05:22 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
claphands
"But it wasn't" - HiMYM Narrator Voice.
Tuco!!!!! laugh

veteran
veteran
I'm thinking mid-July is more likely.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, at this point it's really starting to sound like mid to late July. Or 2 weeks from now at the very minimum, as I truly doubt that they will just drop a patch on us from out of nowhere.

At first I thought mid June would be the latest out of an assumption that they'd want to avoid releasing the patch near Solasta's official launch. But it's sounding more and more like whatever they're working on has given them quite some trouble if it's purely systems-related with no classes involved. A single bug did delay the Druid patch by a week, after all.

If it's indeed 2 weeks from now, they'll run right into the release window for Monster Hunter Stories 2. The audiences probably don't overlap that much, but it's another turn-based game that I'm really looking forward to, and it's deceptively deep going off of my experience with the first game.

addict
addict
Whether it's mid or late July, I just hope patch 5 addresses some of the concerns from player feedback.

addict
addict
Hopefully we get at least 10 companions...Bare minimum for a BG game. No excuse for <<6 is fine, if their are extra detailed...>> !
Pathfinder Wotr is already at 14, all pretty detailed with some great options and dialogues. I like the varied fantasy look you get versus BG3's realistic modern cosplay looking companions.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

old hand
old hand
What game's companions are on the left?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
What game's companions are on the left?
Pathfinder : Wrath of the Righteous. Currently also in EA. Game is almost finished. You have a bazillion classes/kits to choose from...(D^D 3.75...aka, Pathfinder).

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 25/06/21 01:55 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Hopefully we get at least 10 companions...Bare minimum for a BG game. No excuse for <<6 is fine, if their are extra detailed...>> !
Pathfinder Wotr is already at 14, all pretty detailed with some great options and dialogues. I like the varied fantasy look you get versus BG3's realistic modern cosplay looking companions.

Wenduag and Lann are mutually exclusive. You can have both at various points of the game, but an early game choice will result in one of them permanently leaving the party down the road. Hence why they are both archers.

Delamere is Lich mythic path exclusive, along with several more that you can raise back to life. This is presumably to make up for the idea that the vast majority of the main companions may leave you later in the game for pursuing that mythic path.

Aivu (not listed), a baby dragon, is Azata mythic path exclusive.

Finnean is not really a companion (he is the talking weapon), but he does interject in conversations all the same.

DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT LATE GAME SPOILERS

There is another main companion not listed here, a secret one. I will not elaborate how, because they potentially join super late in the game. No one has been able to get them to join the party yet due to several earlier game events bugging out.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 25/06/21 04:57 AM.
old hand
old hand
It probably is obvious with my pfp but I am curious about the fox guy, he looks like a traveler of sorts with interesting stories to tell.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist

Wenduag and Lann are mutually exclusive. You can have both at various points of the game, but an early game choice will result in one of them permanently leaving the party down the road. Hence why they are both archers.

Delamere is Lich mythic path exclusive, along with several more that you can raise back to life. This is presumably to make up for the idea that the vast majority of the main companions may leave you later in the game for pursuing that mythic path.

Aivu (not listed), a baby dragon, is Azata mythic path exclusive.

Finnean is not really a companion (he is the talking weapon), but he does interject in conversations all the same.

I must say, WotR is sounding more and more interesting. I'm not a fan of gimmicks in cRPGs (like kingdom management, crusades, leading Inquisition forces, uh, pirates), but the mythic paths sound really, really cool. Few games allow you to actually become a mythical creature rather than a godly-statted humanoid. And from what I hear, those paths are very reactive.

One thing I'm curious about though - iirc paths aren't necessarily tied to alignment. (Though they do cover most alignments if you go by defaults.) So companions leaving is because they are fundamentally opposed to necromancy in any form, rather than your character's evil actions or you being locked to evil alignment because you chose the lich path? I'm not sure about Pathfinder, but in D&D liches can be good. Baelnorn, archliches.

_____

Regarding companion count in BG3 - 8 companions in a Baldur's Gate game is quite ridiculous. As I've said before, the ideal scenario would be 12 high-content companions (origin or not) with at least BG2 level of "richness" and another 12 companions that have less content to them (between BG1 and BG2 level) for good variety. 12 because one per class, and it divides nicely in 3 so you can have even alignment split. Of course it's completely unrealistic, it'll probably end with those 8 origins and that's it. Unless you count generic mercenaries.

I'm usually of the opinion that quality>quantity, but BG3 took it to ridiculous levels by greatly reducing companion choice, in a series that's known for good companion variety. And I'm not too certain about the "quality" of current companions anyway.

old hand
old hand
Ngl reading about P:WotR on GOG store page made me really hyped about the game. Though, I did get hyped about P:K too, then gave up on it after around 5 hours. Granted, I played right after it was released, and apparently there have been a lot of changes to it now.

Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
[...] As I've said before, the ideal scenario would be 12 high-content companions (origin or not) with at least BG2 level of "richness" and another 12 companions that have less content to them (between BG1 and BG2 level) for good variety.
This is too much to hope for, I wouldn't hold my breath. Party size and number of companions were among the very first issues I brought up long ago when this game was just announced, when I still thought/hoped it would follow more closely in the original game's footsteps. "We have few companions for you because they're sooo deeply developed" is a lazy excuse which is at best based on their opinion of what is considered "deeply developed", and at worst a complete lie. Devs are supposed to figure out the right balance that allows them to create well developed companions without each taking such a huge amount of time that they can't do more than 6.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 25/06/21 11:29 AM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard