Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 45 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 44 45
veteran
veteran
The thing that surprised me the most about that WOTR announcement is that I was ready to bet they would delay the PC release at least once.
It seems it may release on schedule and they already planning the console one, instead.

Not that I care about playing this type of RPG on a console, anyway, but the implication that they are confident with it is reassuring.

Also, yes, may the toilet chain die in a fire.

P.S. Baldur’s Gate being ARX 2.0 would pretty much be my worst case scenario.

Last edited by Tuco; 28/06/21 11:17 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
They originally aimed for June 2021 for WotR back when the kickstarter was announced. It was obvious from the state of beta phase 1 that June wasn't happening, and we actually hoped for a delay.

Hell, I'd argue that WotR probably needs one more month in the oven to the end of September or something. It's nowhere near Kingmaker launch bad, but for a cRPG of this scale, it could use a little bit more polish just in case.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 28/06/21 11:53 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
And hey, if we don't get everything then its not the end of the world, but hopefully we get some stuff. I think we all have a little list in our head of the top three things we want to see changed/removed.

Here's my list: smile

1. Halsin made a companion!
2. Be able to use spells in dialogue
3. Option to select Tav as the character npcs speak to when dialogue starts automatically (for single player)
4. SWTOR-style group dialogue for co-op

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Icelyn
And hey, if we don't get everything then its not the end of the world, but hopefully we get some stuff. I think we all have a little list in our head of the top three things we want to see changed/removed.

Here's my list: smile

1. Halsin made a companion!
2. Be able to use spells in dialogue
3. Option to select Tav as the character npcs speak to when dialogue starts automatically (for single player)
4. SWTOR-style group dialogue for co-op

That's a pretty good list! But I expected you to select "Halsin made a companion!" for 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I'm not likely to play co-op, but 2 and 3 would be nice quality of life improvements.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig
That's a pretty good list! But I expected you to select "Halsin made a companion!" for 1, 2, 3, and 4.
laugh

addict
addict
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I genuinely hope they go into detail about their decisions, the why for each thing.
That aid us greatly and would facilitate conversation.
If they say, "We chose to keep barrels because we found in our testing people found them more fun!" we can then give our feedback saying "We agree they are fun" or "We really do not find it fun" or the many in betweens.

If I was to consider my own list, it'd be more broad with the categories of:

1. Closer to 5e Mechanics/Toned Back Homebrew
2. Non-Origin Companions (Not Mercenary System)
3. Fix Conjuration and Summoning

Whatever they tell you, you will be unhappy if it does not meet your requirements, as well as a lot of people on this forum. Many people will not even try to understand, because they are convinced that it is better only the way they like it.

I know what Tuco's are;

1. Toilet chain
2. Toilet chain
3. Toilet chain laugh

Yes, it is, thank you for making me laugh.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
YES. That toilet chain needs to go. Late 90s we moved on from this archaic system. Is this how they still do their business in Belgium? I remember in 1993 still had those in my school in France. And we laughed about it.
In all honesty though, its more of a <WE ARE LARIAN> stamp of recognition thing more than anything else. Throwing all gameplay considerations out the window.
God its so cluncky. Even playing with a completely patched up latest version of DOS2 Im fighting that UI.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 29/06/21 12:43 AM.
old hand
old hand
This is the update to my own list, rather is is every thing I could think of off the top of my head that apply to each category. I don't exactly expect many of these in the next update, but these are things I want addressed sometime during the EA, and are things I care about with he game and system.

1) Closer to 5e Mechanics
- Turn Highground Advantage into a +2/-2 system.
- Tone back shove to have less distance and be a full action.
- Make consumables a full action.
- Add Ritual Casting
- Somehow limit longresting and base shortresting off of hitdie.
- Reduce custom surfaces effect on concentration.
- Fix Mage Hand and Find familiar (See later).
- Fix Thief Rogue to have its ability instead of two bonus actions.
- Fix Abjuration Wizard temp HP ability.
- Make barrels much heavier and tone back their frequency.
- Fix HP Bloat (I am fine with stat variance like a goblin wearing different armor so different AC, but HP Boat hurts everyone.)
- Make Jumping and Disengage separate things. (I am fine if Jump is a bonus action but provokes Attacks of Opportunity, while Disengage is a full action.)
- Throwing should be a full action (I forget if it isn't) and should be toned back considerably.
- Dipping should have a cost to it (have to apply oil to a weapon first then dip it, consuming oiled status).
- Magic Arrows should be toned back a bit so they do not invalidate arcane archery, should also be usuable with certain abilities.
- Sneak attack should have a pop up instead of used ability.
- Attacks of Opportunity should have a pop up instead of being automatic.
- Certain spells should have a popup.
- Wizards should not be able to learn spells not on a class list they possess.
- Scrolls usability should be limited to a character that possesses the spell list the scroll's spell is on.
- Ranger abilities should be tweaked a bit.
- Tasha's optional class features should be implemented for a smoother game experience.
- Pickpocketing should have more risk to it.
- Sneaking in the middle of combat should be much harder.
- Command should get more command words.
- When a spell can target multiple creatures but is not an aoe, the caster should be allowed to choose the creatures instead of a weird circle.
- Enemies shouldn't be intentionally proccing Opportunity Attacks just to break out of a charm person.
- Make it more clear what we are rolling and what our DC is as well as what is contributing. (Idealling instead of subtracting from dice number needed, just show the overall DC and then add at end.)
- Make it clear in combat what we are rolling and getting.
- Make it some kind of check to see enemy stats instead of automatic, perhaps a bonus action?
- Help Actions should grant advantage on a skill check or attack, not automatically heal someone when unconcious.
- Medicine check and healer's kit to stabilize/heal a downed character instead of help action that anyone can do.
- Proper implementation of versatility and finesse for weapons.
- Six character party max.
- Shapechanged Druids should still have control over spells like moonbeam.
- Shapechange animals and animal companions should have base stats and attacks (I am fine with extra ability given).
- Many spells should be treated as proper reactions with a popup.
- More tools and tool proficiencies should be added.
- Backgrounds should grant four proficiencies (since languages likely won't be added) among tools and skills and some kind of special ability or item (similar to how the companions all have something special), with the option of a custom background where one picks each proficiency and ability and the option to have no ability or less proficiencies.
- Food shouldn't heal nearly that much, and not in combat.
- Crafting should require the right tool and a check (Potions use Alchemist's supplies, Weapon's use smith's tools, etc).
- Every class should be able to pick a god for RP purposes (as well as the option of none, with that option locking one out of cleric/Non-oathbreaker paladin unless they convert to a religion, similarly an alignment should be pickable but it should have little mechanical significance.
- If one has speak with animals, it should be castable in a conversation with a beast.
- Switching weapons should be a bonus action, so should trading items.
- Hide should be a full action.
- Pickpocketing/Stealing/Slight of Hand should actually be doable in combat (to give more use to the Thief subclass) so that we can steal consumables and such off of enemies, but perhaps with disadvantage.
- Custom weapon abilities should be toned back so they are not always the best damaging choice.
- And Much Much More (And for Tuco fix Chain/Unchain cause it does mess with 5e movement mechanics badly)

2) Non-Origin Companions
- In conjunction with a 6 character party setup.
- I don't like the Mercenary System, but I do think there should be the option for it, whereas one can have possibly up to 5 custom characters at the camp with there being some cost to making them.
- Non-Origin companions do not need complex or long running companion quests, nor do they have to be as complex as their Origin counterparts.
- Certain Characters I think would make a lot of sense as a non-origin companion (Alfira and Volo as bards, Sazza as a rogue, Halsin or maybe even Kahgha as a Druid, Lump the enlightened would make an excellent Eldritch Knight, Shovel would make a perfect Necromancer companion, Us could possess a body in a faulty way leading to him being whatever class Larian wants, etc etc)
- Non-Origin Companions could run off of generic tags with only a few things being especially for them in dialogue.
- They could act as quest rewards as well as adding the ability for us to really flesh out our party and make compositions unique to us.
- They could really have a lot with the resources they currently have. With companions, assuming there is one origin character for each class, Larian could have 13 Origin Characters and any number of non-origin companions. There is the possibility to have a massive cast and I am all for it. (Heck, if Larian wants to go overboard, they legitimately could add one non-origin companion for each subclass, and have them already levelled and assigned to it when encountered. But I realize that is a pipe dream.)
- When we upgrade from a camp to a new home location, they could easily populate that new location amongst possibly merchants and other service providers.
- Makes it much more likely someone can make the kind of party they want, matching the alignment they wants.
- They could be hired through conversations, quests, and in some cases gold.
- It'll allow Larian to show off even more aspects of Faerun including races or even rarer creatures (Shovel could be a very very interesting perspective as a bound demon for example).
- The game will feel more like a BG game instead of a DOS game.
- It will allow us to test even more things better so that we can catch bugs and such.
- And not technically under this but is tangential, I DO NOT want companions who are not actively in the controlled party (in other words waiting at camp) to die arbitrarily like how companions did in DOS2.

3) Fix conjuration and Summoning (Separate from Closer to 5e cause I am especially passionate about this).
- Find Familiar Familiars should not be able to attack unless they are conjured through Pact of the Chain.
- Mage Hand should not have concentration.
- Mage Hand should not be able to attack (I could argue maybe push, but not attack).
- Mage Hand should have its utility returned.
- Arcane Trickster Mage Hand should have its abilities returned.
- Arcane Trickster Mage Hand should remain invisible.
- Mage Hand should be allowed to proc traps on purpose.
- Mage Hand should be better at carrying things.
- Mage Hand should not be surprised when summoned in combat.
- Mage Hand should use the caster's actions and bonus actions.
- Mage Hand should not dismiss Find Familiar.
- Mage Hand shouldn't have health nor be treated as a creature.
- Beast Companion should not dismiss Find Familiar.
- Flaming Sphere should not dismiss Find Familiar.
- Resting should not dismiss Find Familiar.
- A caster should be able to deliver touch spells through Find Familiar
- Pact of the Chain needs its Invocations including Tasha's Investment of the Chain Master.
- Find Familiar list is incomplete, particularly missing two Pact of the Chain familiars and many normal familiars.
- I do like the custom abilities familiars have received.
- Find Familiar should be cast through Ritual Casting if the caster possesses it or has Pact of the Chain/Pact of the Tome.
- Familiars should be better at carrying things.
- Familiars should be better at interacting with the world.
- Familiars should be able to provide the Help Action.
- Familiars should be able to be dismissed and resummoned for free as an action.
- Familiars should be considered as a Celestial, Fey, or Fiend (though I don't think one should have to pick every time they cast the spell, perhaps an option in the spells and preparation page?)
- Certain effects should have a limited range of 100 feet for Familiars UNLESS one has Voice of the Chain Master.
- Mage Hand should have a limited range.
- Flaming Sphere should not be treated like a creature.
- Beast Master's beast Companion List is very incomplete just in targets from BG3.
- Beast Master Ranger should be allowed to select Primal Companion instead of Beast Companion when they select the subclass as per Tasha's, with each Primal Companion variant taking its appearance from existing Beast Companion options.
- Druids should have the tasha's feature to have a familiar.
- This is homebrew but something I liked as an idea because it isn't uncommon for a player to work with a DM for a custom familiar, I think every Origin companions should be given one custom familiar option if/when they gain Find Familiar as a spell or feature. Especially since it is not uncommon for a familiar to reflect a caster in some ways.:
- Gale could have a Tressym or Mephit as per things he mentioned, he used to be an accomplished wizard.
- Astarion could have a bat, likely a vampire bat but fruit bat could be funny/cute.
- Shadowheart could have some sort of weaker Shadow or a special Raven as a Sharran.
- Laezel could have a custom lizard or baby salamander to tie into her desires to be a dragon rider for her queen.
- Wyll through his fiend warlock deal could have a Lemure or perhaps even Soul Larva.
- Future conjuration spells genuinely should have zero interaction with Find Familiar or Mage Hand.
- I'd like to see Tasha's Guide Conjuration spells be added to the game.
- I'd like to see more conjuration spells be tested/added to the EA.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 29/06/21 06:34 AM.
I mentioned before companions are a great way to change up the story having companions replace different companions depending on what route you took. Like Minthra vs will. Kagha vs Helsin ect. Depending what route you wanted to take there are plenty of ways to diversify those options and plenty of options present even in just the beginning aspect of the game.

Mercs though are a big interesting point for people who do want to develop a fully fleshed out party however I do think the 6 character system sits better for this as it allows you to min max your party fitting in 1-2 companions to fill niche roles while still keeping a party build closer to a design setup for a power player you may desire.

@CJMPinger there are plenty of companion options for them to expand all the way up to 1 companion from each of the 12 base classes getting most in the beginning of the game the others could easily be worked in shortly after.

Minthra vs Shadowheart
Helsin vs Kahga

There are plenty of ways to mix and match those characters with story plots to make for a story that fits for the party that people want. While keeping companions suited to fit the group in the way they feel they would like. There are plenty of great ways they could tie in different choices affecting companions leaving or joining into the same story arch. Creating interesting ways the game could be replayed to a different story arch / conclusion based on actions. Would but a final product much further off as you would need to kind of do a different ending somewhat for each character based on how you played out the story. But to an extent that could be left on the edge giving them time to toy with that more down the road. However that division in how parties / characters group join and play out creates inpact in choices ect. Also having characters have there own conclusive story line and unique traits that make them in someways better than the options you have from character creation for npcs also can impact this like for example by Asterion having a bite attack / vampire like powers in some ways makes him slightly better than a mercenary character while not being built to a players design. Doing similar things for all the characters gives them a unique flavor and a reason to choose them over a merc designed character. There are dozens of ways they can play with that interaction.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by acatlas
I mentioned before companions are a great way to change up the story having companions replace different companions depending on what route you took. Like Minthra vs will. Kagha vs Helsin ect. Depending what route you wanted to take there are plenty of ways to diversify those options and plenty of options present even in just the beginning aspect of the game.

Mercs though are a big interesting point for people who do want to develop a fully fleshed out party however I do think the 6 character system sits better for this as it allows you to min max your party fitting in 1-2 companions to fill niche roles while still keeping a party build closer to a design setup for a power player you may desire.

@CJMPinger there are plenty of companion options for them to expand all the way up to 1 companion from each of the 12 base classes getting most in the beginning of the game the others could easily be worked in shortly after.

Minthra vs Shadowheart
Helsin vs Kahga

There are plenty of ways to mix and match those characters with story plots to make for a story that fits for the party that people want. While keeping companions suited to fit the group in the way they feel they would like. There are plenty of great ways they could tie in different choices affecting companions leaving or joining into the same story arch. Creating interesting ways the game could be replayed to a different story arch / conclusion based on actions. Would but a final product much further off as you would need to kind of do a different ending somewhat for each character based on how you played out the story. But to an extent that could be left on the edge giving them time to toy with that more down the road. However that division in how parties / characters group join and play out creates inpact in choices ect. Also having characters have there own conclusive story line and unique traits that make them in someways better than the options you have from character creation for npcs also can impact this like for example by Asterion having a bite attack / vampire like powers in some ways makes him slightly better than a mercenary character while not being built to a players design. Doing similar things for all the characters gives them a unique flavor and a reason to choose them over a merc designed character. There are dozens of ways they can play with that interaction.

Mm, I think Non-Origin companions also serve as a great opportunity for choice. I actually really want the option to have Halsin stay and lead his circle and we bring Khaga with us to give her some redemption and also because she is just as competent of a druid as Halsin is. With Minthara, I'd actually like to straight up recruit her but we have to convince Wyll to stay, like how in datamining it shows we may have to convince Shadowheart and Laezel to not murder eachother. I do think it should be possible but a genuine challenge to have every companion in the game recruited, because there should be clear conflicts and ideological differences, but with the Origin companions you have a common goal and there is a clear greater good that perhaps even some evil characters would aid because The Absolute is messing with their ambitions or plans.
Though my ideal is 13 Origin companions, one for each class. And then Non-Origin companions added on. One for each subclass is a pipe dream in pure numbers, but a large amount would allow us the chance to really play around with party composition and give feedback on every class and subclass.
Edit: Also I wouldn't frontload non-origin companions, I think they should be found throughout most of the game, or at least the first two or three Acts (depending on how many there are) and I'd spread them out, give them their own requirements for joining, etc etc. Shoving em all into Act One would feel a bit unnatural and could be overwhelming past the 12 Origin companions.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 29/06/21 01:21 AM.
Well technically there are 5 origin companions its easy for them to realistically fit in 7 after the origins more from the core books for the 12 base classes and probably an artificer in a dlc. As original plans based on what they said were the core 12 classes. Not all of those classes need the worm to do there own thing as I would personally hope that gets removed in chapter 2 leading to a more sinister plot as the worm will get old after a while.

Gale has something going on with the netherese. Lazeal has her own thing with gith progression. Asterion you have the Vampire bit, Shadowheart is missing part of her memories so i feel something like a chosen of shar plot or a twist between selunite background being hidden from her could go either way. Then will has the thing with his patron.

Kagha and Helsin // the grove makes for an interesting story line where you could basically choose the shadow druids / or the good side. Having to choose while i think its a nice idea to have all the companions having to choose brings some depth to it as your choosing between 1 class or another you experience something similar in Pathfinder WoTR and its one of the more compelling aspects of the story not being able to have all of them in 1 playthrough as that makes you want to experience more than 1 playthrough as oppose to just 1 shoting the entire thing it also brings in some diversity and change to the story based on how you go through it.

IMO ideally 24 companions with a choices that give you a total of 12 + the mercenary companions you make that's still a potential of a lot of diversity in the characters and a lot of plot to play with also more options could be added with more dlcs its something that gives depth to dlc content by adding companion options down the road. The subclasses are not such a big deal and you can tailor the characters to a subclass. Even getting them later in the story you could chose there progression as an option when you do get them. You still also have the main character so that is 18 which is a lot of choices and combinations you can do to make a party of 6 even. I do expect them to cap the core game somewhere between level 12 and 16 so. Based on the fact the original release was not expected to go all the way to 20. Which is good in a way as it makes multiclassing a much stronger option for mix matching classes as well.

Well it would be nice to keep all 12 characters i think being made to choose also brings about that division that makes you want to replay the game more. Having 12 vs 12 also leads to a much more interesting plot line because you still get 1 of each class just moved around so that your choosing the good companion vs the more evil companion. I feel that there is more depth planned to show more truth to the characters as well. Like despite that characters feel 1 way they may actually be a different direction under the surface I get that opinion a lot from the surface of Shadowheart. Like surface she's very much like a stuck up princess but as story goes on and you develop reputation with her she feels more like she is afraid to open up as a character. So that as the plot develope's you find out why her memory was wiped there will be more depth coming and she will actually end up being more likeable but its hard to see I cant really read Larions plans but that seems the direction they are headed with her.

It would be easier to work her in if they were making her a Selunite cleric in same way. But they could also kinda twist things and make some of the choices a complete suprise like maybe minthra is actually the good character and you cant figure that out till the absolute is defeated and shadow heart is actually evil to the core its hard to say there are so many different paths they could still take with it. Origins characters are more ment as starting alternatives to building your own character. DLC content I personally feel would be a better way to introduce more so it doesnt delay game release as much since you dont really need 12 character with there own unique story's from the start to make the game feel unique. Adding 1 to a DLC is a great way to keep the game pushing forward and expand on that in the future adding more to the base game bringing back replayability in all aspects over time but Id still like to see the core 12 character options available.

To me the ideal way would be 5 initials 7 additional characters later and then expand dlc content like:

DLC 1 - Artificer, Artificer character in the story added as an origins character... this expands even the beginning of the game. His own story expands into the additional content and you could extend the level cap to level 18 from 16. Adding a couple of extra story zones.

DLC 2 - Additional origins character expanding again the entire game encouraging a fresh play through. Level cap extends to 20. You get 1 new sub class for 6 of the base classes.

DLC 3 - Additional origins character - Alternate quests different items level cap not adjusted but speeds up and you get an additional subclass for the remaining 6 base classes.

DLC 4 - Epics levels extending with boons // level 25 using optional rules. 2 New races // 2 new artificer subclasses 1 new subclass for 3 of the base classes and a new origins character.

DLC 5 - Another new origins character, 3 more new subclasses additional questing zones and items. New Races x2.

DLC 6 - More races more subclasses more quests more items.

DLC 7 - Again More of the prior stuff continuing to add companions subclasses quests and items and zones.

You could build out from that and add years of replay ability to the game. The further you expand add the more you can do with the core game. You could even overlap and add more to it expanding with like Neverwinter//Icewind Dale ect as like full expansion games that could overlap with a complete new story that ties in as you progress further into there story archs but eventually tie in together giving you a new beginning to the game basically creating an expanding world that really could be taken to some serious depth over time. There is alot of room given proper attention to take the game in a lot of direction if larion really wanted to work with it. It could develops so far as an IP to eventually be its own expansive universe. But that all depends on how much they take it serious.

Right now they are not doing a good job in the faith aspect of that done properly you could release 15.00 dlcs with good content every several months and I know I would pay for them if they were done properly. and 30.00 - 50.00 alternate tie in expansions and if it added content to my game id complain in no regards. Totalwar: Warhammer 2 is a perfect example they created additional games tied into each other and even when a new game is coming out for it ill still buy the dlc content cause it can be carried over into the new game = mucho mucho $$$ for them and great enjoyable replayability for us as players. To the point you dont feel like you ever lose anything you just get an ever expanding ever more fun universe where the content is always good. To the point even 20 years down the road people would still buy the old content to get it in the new game. Someone new starts playing they want the stuff from the old game they would but it to expand there new game even more and the new game would still be interesting to existing players cause they are expanding there old game even more. Give you hundreds of thousands of hours of game play its what I think the true best way companies should be progressing with how to keep making money in the modern market. Its a much better system than concepts like loot boxes and subscriptions to games. Instead you just keep making your old content great combined into the new content.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by acatlas
DLC 1 - Artificer, Artificer character in the story added as an origins character... this expands even the beginning of the game. His own story expands into the additional content and you could extend the level cap to level 18 from 16. Adding a couple of extra story zones.

DLC 2 - Additional origins character expanding again the entire game encouraging a fresh play through. Level cap extends to 20. You get 1 new sub class for 6 of the base classes.

DLC 3 - Additional origins character - Alternate quests different items level cap not adjusted but speeds up and you get an additional subclass for the remaining 6 base classes.

This is a very single player focused way of thinking of this game. The problem with single player is that its not really that great for replay-ability. Speaking for the Multiplayer Nation - the ones who rack up the serious hours (800+ in EA is average for my friends) we have a different priority list depending on how ambitious Larian wants to be.

We want to see DM Mode.

We want to see this as a Platform to run multiple campaigns

A DLC to me would be something like a new Module that was built by Larian that you could export characters through and into - like The Keep on the Borderlands, or Temple of Elemental Evil

In multiplayer we usually just murder the Origin characters because they don't matter. Did you know that?

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
Hmm, that's a good point. I am really beginning to wonder if Larian overextended themselves with wanting to create a single player game VS a multiplayer game. A lot of the current combat mechanics would be kinda fun in a multiplayer setting, but it clashes with the single player experience. While developing more companions is basically wasted effort for the multiplayer crowd too.

Maybe the greatest twist of irony is that Solasta and BG3 may have had mismatched priorities that would work better in the other game. As in, Solasta's character creation has you make your entire party from scratch with tags defining their personality and backgrounds, but it's a pure singleplayer game at the moment, when that concept would lend itself much better to a multiplayer setup. While BG3 has full fledged companions and still has a tag system, but the companions won't be appreciated in multiplayer, and multiplayer is the main thing that caused Larian's games to take off compared to all the other cRPG developers.

Perhaps that's why we have so few companions. With this train of thought, what's the point to writing more and voice acting them all when the game's longevity ultimately won't rely on them at all?

It's basically a different kind of argument to the base 5E VS Larian homebrew crowd. They want to have their cake and eat it too - as in, Larian wants to break out of their 'lol cheesy/slapstick humor' reputation among the wider gaming community with BG3's tone in regards to its single player-focused writing, but the multiplayer gameplay-focused crowd ultimately won't care.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 29/06/21 05:26 AM.
old hand
old hand
With Larian, I wouldn't even plan on paid DLC, rather, I wouldn't plan on content being added with DLC. Perhaps free updates like the grab bags, but nothing as big as the artificer or full companions.
With their past track record, even when it is wanted, they haven't done much in the way of DLC. Heck, DOS2 has one DLC, and it is a Squirrel with no mechanical and very little story significance, and for many that DLC was free, So I really would not count on Larian following other company's DLC plans.
If anything, a DLC I'd expect from them would be a whole Module or Expansion that would amount to its own game built with the existing mechanics, that seems more the MO of a first Big DLC for them, they seem to like to go big and emphasize player enjoyment.

Further more, it has been confirmed we will have more than 6 origin companions, though we do not know how many. 12-13 is the ideal number because that gives one tadpoled member for each class (the 13th being Artificer which I advocate a bit for.)

Also 12 companions would be too small for a Baldur's Gate game. If you look at the past titles, BG1 BG2 and even the SoD expansion, the games have A LOT of companions. Base Baldur's Gate has 25(!) companions, while the Enhanced Edition has a whopping 29! Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear has a total of 17 companions. And Baldur's Gate 2 has a total of 17 while the enhanced edition has 22 companions (with an extra sacrificial lamb one added on to be a temporary 13). The minimum the series has gone is 17, but with the resources Larian has they could go way more than that while delivering quality. Essentially, Larian has the chance to make the best cRPG in a long time just from a companion front.

Also I genuinely feel just 12 companions would be a disservice to the series. Not just from a size standpoint, but from a world standpoint too. Companions help flesh out a world, and Faerun has A LOT to flesh out. each companion is an opportunity to display a different facet of the world or a new perspective, from a basic knight who has taken up a sword to end bandits to a maniacal cleric/thief who believes himself to be a rising god, they act as unique characters that also give bits of the world. Limiting it to just 12 thus limits how much can be delivered. So I say add as many as Larian is willing to add, rather, add as many can be added without compromising the quality of the game.

Furthermore, locking companions behind a paywall would be something that'd sour me greatly. We as consumer's have gotten way to used to scummy DLC that we truly think of it as the norm, and locking things that should be packaged with the base game behind DLC is one of those things. I really hope larian doesn't go that route. If they must add something through DLC, add it in a full expansion with content, such as full campaign module to display BG3 as something that can host different campaigns (Heck, once mechanics are sorted out and long after the game is made, I'd definitely like to see a new Icewind Dale or Tomb of Horrors).

Edit: I am still of the mind that this should be developed as a single player game first and a multiplayer game second. I do want to see DM mode and the like, but as something later on once the single player has been refined. Though on that front, perhaps they should give Origin companions more purpose when not actively in the party so they can have purpose for Four Player games (or Six player if they ever finally up the party size).

Last edited by CJMPinger; 29/06/21 05:37 AM.
old hand
old hand
IIRC Larian devs at some point have mentioned that they are fundamentally opposed to the idea of paid DLC now. To the level that a lot of Larian fans would believe the presence of such a thing in BG3 to be a betrayal at first glance, though I also believe in terms of actual practicality that most people will end up justifying it in their minds and come to terms with it within the week.

I think the last game they made that had that was with Divinity 2 (the main series Divinity, not Original Sin), which was well over a decade ago. However, as this is a WotC-contracted game, it's possible that BG3 may end up with paid DLC down the road.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 29/06/21 05:48 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
IIRC Larian devs at some point have mentioned that they are fundamentally opposed to the idea of paid DLC now. To the level that a lot of Larian fans would believe the presence of such a thing in BG3 to be a betrayal at first glance, though I also believe in terms of actual practicality that most people will end up justifying it in their minds and come to terms with it within the week.

I think the last game they made that had that was with Divinity 2 (the main series Divinity, not Original Sin), which was well over a decade ago. However, as this is a WotC-contracted game, it's possible that BG3 may end up with paid DLC down the road.

Technically, Divinity Original Sin 2 had a singular Paid DLC, but everything was upfront about it and it was super cheap, and most people ended up getting it for free I think.

But yeah, them immediately going to small DLC packs or such would definitely feel like a complete betrayal. That and the company Electronic Arts has completely soured me to DLC companions. In particular, Mass Effect 3 is when I first realized that when I bought a DLC for a companion I was getting ripped off most of the time. That game had the audacity to do on disk DLC where the only difference between having the character (Who was super important to the overall story btw, like some of the biggest revelations of the series) was changing a statement from 0 to 1... And then I looked at other games and found that often times the character was either something cut off from the main product, or made alone to squeeze more money out of the game. DLC wise, I vastly prefer full expansions or standalone experiences. But even with Larian I think I would be pretty soured.

For Larian to properly sell a DLC to me, I think it'd have to be a full on expansion like the Witcher 3 expansions or a new Module like adpating existing DND modules into a videogame format. New classes, subclasses, and companions I would HATE to see behind a paywall, if added later on as grabbags that is fine. But if I see "DLC Pack #1: Xanathar's Guide To Everything," I do not think I will be particularly happy.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 29/06/21 06:16 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Where do you check that? O_o
From the very same SteamDatabase page that has been mentioned (and linked) give or take fifty more times even in this exact thread?
https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/depots/

Just a stab in the dark.

interestingly the file titled Patch 5 at that link has been updated 4 hours ago, so it does seem that things are moving forward, maybe we will be lucky and this Thursday we will hear/see something? (Or maybe not, Patch 5 might be even longer...)

They also have the opportunity to call it Patch DnD 5e as a pun...

Last edited by CJMPinger; 29/06/21 06:04 AM.
veteran
veteran
It's now more or less clear that they don't really want to make a game that feels and play like DnD so I cannot imagine them trying to add new rules and spells and mechanics from other DnD module (and changing everything once again)

interestingly the file titled Patch 5 at that link has been updated 4 hours ago, so it does seem that things are moving forward, maybe we will be lucky and this Thursday we will hear/see something? (Or maybe not, Patch 5 might be even longer...)

Things has been updated a lot since a few weeks. Really. Every few day one of those file is updated.
This update may not mean anything else than all the others past few weeks.

I have more hope when nothing is updated. At least it make me think that the patch is in QA before release.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 29/06/21 06:08 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
It's now more or less clear that they don't really want to make a game that feels and play like DnD so I cannot imagine them trying to add new rules and spells and mechanics from other DnD module (and changing everything once again)

Things has been updated a lot since a few weeks. Really. Every few day one of those file is updated.

Ah, pardon my ignorance.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Ah, pardon my ignorance.

Oh no, I also hope it mean something. But really, I had been dissapointed every weeks since months following steam DB :p

Now I have in mind that the localisation file (I guess) has been updated so maybe it's the good week... But the loca summer file has been updated 4 times too since patch 4^^

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Page 33 of 45 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 44 45

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard