Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 45 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 44 45
addict
addict
yo , don't tell me you don't want to see sven in medieval armor.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
Looks like Panel From Hell 3 is coming soon.

https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/1410248780314722309
That's a bit disappointing. It's good that we'll be getting a patch (soonâ„¢), but if PFH3 is anything like PFH2 then I'll probably stop watching ~10 min into it. Especially if Swen attempts another playthrough and/or is the person who presents the specific patch changes; both of which were painful to watch in PFH2. I would much rather Larian only did written patch notes (to save the resources that are spent on this show), or maybe a reddit/twitch AMA if they wanted to interact with people directly.

Also, is this PFH3 going to be combined with the supposed community update about how Larian parses feedback/data/telemetry???

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

That's a bit disappointing. It's good that we'll be getting a patch (soonâ„¢), but if PFH3 is anything like PFH2 then I'll probably stop watching ~10 min into it. Especially if Swen attempts another playthrough and/or is the person who presents the specific patch changes; both of which were painful to watch in PFH2. I would much rather Larian only did written patch notes (to save the resources that are spent on this show), or maybe a reddit/twitch AMA if they wanted to interact with people directly.

Also, is this PFH3 going to be combined with the supposed community update about how Larian parses feedback/data/telemetry???

I think so

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
S
S
I did feel like PFH2 was a lot of hubbub for very little content. It felt a little anticlimactic. I don't mind the live show if there are a lot of big reveals. I'm just happy to have some kind of update.

veteran
veteran
I dunno why so many people have problem with PFH ... its just their form of presentation. :-/
And honestly, i like it MUCH, MUCH, and once more MUCH more than those awkwardly scripted scenes we get on E3. -_-

Im somewhere between: "Yay!" and "Why the hells i follow Larian Twitter, when every single important reveal is happening everywhere else, but there. -_-"

Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Even if they don't die or such, but they leave, I still really don't like that. I like playing with a large cast, I don't want to be locked into a limited selection based on who I thought I'd like at some arbitrary point, I want to have the chance to adventure with everyone. Change up my party on a whim, decide to switch out Gale for Wyll for a bit and later on switch back. Its how I played BG1 and 2, I use every companion that I can. And being told that I can't do that just leaves me disappointed and feels like a completely wasted opportunity for the game.
I dont see those two things excluding each other ...
You still can have large cast, it would simply just not contain other Origin characters ...

I mean, if someone asks me if i would like to trade permanently pissed Shadowheart for daddy Halsin ... i would be all in. laugh
Same with full-of-himself Will traded for Volo for example.
Or i dunno ... Astarion for Alfira. (even tho it would not last long as we know :D)

You talk about it as if you were supposed to stick with mindless zombies after Act 1 ...
I dont believe it would be the case.
If you kill some important NPC
Zevlor, in that Gate-Batle
... another one will get his post, so the story can continue ... personaly i see no reason to expect any different with companions. O_o
MAYBE ... we simply trade tadpoled party for non-tadpoled party. Is that so bad? :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
Call me greedy, but I genuinely feel like if you had that choice, there should be the third but difficult choice of having both. It shouldn't be easy, like how it isn't easy having Edwin and Dynaheir in the same party in Bg1 cause they try to murder each other, but it is possible and difficult to keep both to the end.
And I don't want them to be mindless zombies, but removing them arbitrarily feels worse than them just mindlessly following. Also your examples don't seem to work out, cause I don't see Volo and Wyll, or Shadowheart and Halsin, or even Astarion and Alfira being exclusive from each other. I want them to be characters, but I don't want it to be that Astarion happens to die or is removed cause the game forced me to not have him at the moonrise towers section cause of a party limit. And now for the rest of the game I do not have access to Astarion. That feels bad to me. Now if Astarion left and I can recruit him later, thats fine. Thats more dynamic. But him being out from my party permanently would be the worst case scenario for me.

And yes, to me that'd be bad. That'd be a poor way to enforce a poor limitation that is honestly arbitrary that would also hurt the game. Just like how it hurt DOS2.

Edit: To me, companions should be unique characters and therefore not replaceable. If they should die in such a way that we can not resurrect then, then they should be dead. And there shouldn't be someone immediately taking their place as a replacement because that's a copout for death. But death should be a consequence of our actions individually for that character. Essentially, it should be a consequence of our choices during their questlines and a result of choices we make in regards to each individual. If we can diffuse the situation between Laezel and Shadow heart, sure one of them can die, that makes sense. But a blanket dismissal or killing doesn't, even when the plot forces it. Blanket X characters can no longer be companions or die because they weren't in the active party just feels bad to me. And if I got replacements I'd just feel sour to those replacements. And replacements can work, just not a blanket thing like that, and not for every character.
Tangential, one replacement that did work for me was a character in ME2 that can replace one of your party members, it works there because everything feels like a consequence of a past action, either by the player or the companion. And the replacement is built up and has a connection with that companion. It wasn't arbitrary and was a planned out conflict. So I'd be fine with a quest like that, but that's different from having to commit to an active party after act 1.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 30/06/21 06:47 PM.
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by virion
Originally Posted by grysqrl
I'm far less concerned about whatever "soon" means (things are ready when they're ready) than the assumption that the proper medium to release patch notes is a show.

Why not though? It's a cool way to do it. Not like they give us those patch notes too often so might aswell make an event out of it :P
There's an argument to be made for the resources they put into making a show for us being better spent on other things, though I prefer not to lean too heavily on anything like that since I don't know the inner workings of the company and am not inclined to make assumptions.

Of more importance to me, I find the "everything is fireworks" attitude to be kind of insulting. It's akin to "we assume that you are a toddler with no attention span, so we need to keep throwing shiny things at you to make you happy." I'm here to get information, not see two hours of trite gags and some dude goofing around in armor.

addict
addict
Holy shit, they are literally working in the entertainement industry. You guys are all grumpy af ngl.

addict
addict
I don't know the inner workings of the company and am not inclined to make assumptions.
Exactly. But you could guess that programmers are programming and marketing guys are doing all the marketing shows.

addict
addict
Holy shit, they are literally working in the entertainement industry. You guys are all grumpy af ngl.

The context is important. When this sort of thing would be done for a game that's like... well, for the sake of example let's say WotR (which I hear is in a very healthy state regarding many game aspects), it would read differently. A show and some goofy fun would be great then, if it accompanied the game nicely trudging along the development. I did like all this stuff before the state of the game dawned on me and I grew bitter.

Meanwhile, BG3 has a myriad of problems that went completely unaddressed and not even acknowledged for more than half a year. Last patch was months ago. Communication from Larian is at best extremely sparse and for the most part just not there. Mind you, in an EA that was supposed to be important in terms of player feedback. In this context, a great show about nothing or something like "one whole new class, some bugfixes and two minor QoL improvements" feels like rubbing salt in the wounds. It's kind of like if you took a hungry man to a theater instead of feeding him. Had he not be starving, he'd enjoy a good show. But otherwise he'd understandably be annoyed about your priorities and lack of understanding.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Niara's recap of the previous one should be a mandatory read to fully capture the amount of awkwardness produced: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=96429&Number=757338#Post757338

Last edited by Tuco; 30/06/21 07:18 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Zellin
I don't know the inner workings of the company and am not inclined to make assumptions.
Exactly. But you could guess that programmers are programming and marketing guys are doing all the marketing shows.
I could also guess that they are adults and can control how much of their budget is allocated to programming vs marketing. However, I am not inclined to make assumptions.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

The context is important. When this sort of thing would be done for a game that's like... well, for the sake of example let's say WotR (which I hear is in a very healthy state regarding many game aspects), it would read differently. A show and some goofy fun would be great then, if it accompanied the game nicely trudging along the development. I did like all this stuff before the state of the game dawned on me and I grew bitter.

Meanwhile, BG3 has a myriad of problems that went completely unaddressed and not even acknowledged for more than half a year. Last patch was months ago. Communication from Larian is at best extremely sparse and for the most part just not there. Mind you, in an EA that was supposed to be important in terms of player feedback. In this context, a great show about nothing or something like "one whole new class, some bugfixes and two minor QoL improvements" feels like rubbing salt in the wounds. It's kind of like if you took a hungry man to a theater instead of feeding him. Had he not be starving, he'd enjoy a good show. But otherwise he'd understandably be annoyed about your priorities and lack of understanding.

To further this analogy, if we are starving men taken to the theater we will probably try to engorge ourselves on popcorn an soda, filling up as much as we can. But that ultimately is just snacks, and we still really want a proper meal. We will end up still hungry and ultimately annoyed.
Best case scenario for PFH3 is that it turns out to be a cinema cafe so we get a show and meal.

veteran
veteran
Call me greedy, but I genuinely feel like if you had that choice, there should be the third but difficult choice of having both.
You are greedy ...
And aparently so am i, since i like the idea. laugh

I don't see Volo and Wyll, or Shadowheart and Halsin, or even Astarion and Alfira being exclusive from each other.
No, you missunderstand me ...
I didnt want to say that they should be exclusive for each other ... my point was:
Maybe by picking Gale (for example) you loose Group A, containgig: Wyll, Shadow, Astarion, Lae'zel, Karlach ...
And instead of them, you get Group B, containing: Halsin, Volo, Alfira, and i dunno ... Aradin for example, w/e laugh

So you didnt "loose" anything ... you simply swithed one for another. :-/
Simmilar to Goblin, or Tieflings ... you have to choose side ... i know there is possibly third way to ignore them all (so maybe that isnt best exmple once again ... but if you try at least little bit to get what im trying to say, instead of searching where im wrong ... it should surfice laugh ) but so far i didnt try it, so im not sure if that path isnt dead end. smile

I don't want it to be that Astarion happens to die or is removed cause the game forced me to not have him at the moonrise towers section cause of a party limit. And now for the rest of the game I do not have access to Astarion. That feels bad to me.
And that is exactly that Ctrl+C > Ctrl+V from DoS ...
That example that i concider to be fanmade, and never confrimmed ... since the begining of this theme. laugh

What we (or at least i) was talking about here and now, is to take litteraly what Larian told us ...
"you are going to have to commit, also just like in real life" ...
So ... imagine, or at least try to, this situation:

*Your group (Tav, Shadow, Lae, and Gale for example) gets to Moonrise Towers, and resolve their tadpole problem ... somehow (Palpatine returned)* ...
Now you all gather and someone starts talking like:
XY: "Well, i gues that is it. ... There is no more reason to travel with you anymore guys, so farewel to everyone, except you Shadowheart, you can f*** off."
Tav: "I would like to go with you Astarion, if you dont mind."
Astarion: "Not at all, as it seems we make quite effective team after all."
*And you all go your separate ways, just as Shadowheart told you, you both would ... if you ask her what will be after you resolve your tadpole problem.*
*Then you reach your camp, and meet Halsin*
Halsin: "I see there is a lot fewer of you ... maybe i should stick around for a little longer, if you dont mind ... this was quite enlightening experience, and after all im in your dept right now."

No relation to "party limit" ...
No relation to "who you pick with you" ...
Just one hard decision you need to make.

Now if Astarion left and I can recruit him later, thats fine. Thats more dynamic. But him being out from my party permanently would be the worst case scenario for me.
But then you could hardly call that a "comitment". laugh

And yes, to me that'd be bad. That'd be a poor way to enforce a poor limitation that is honestly arbitrary that would also hurt the game. Just like how it hurt DOS2.
What limitation? O_o

To me, companions should be unique characters and therefore not replaceable.
You would need to defince replacement ...
Since if you expect this game to turn from 4 member party, to 3 member party permanently ... just bcs you made bad choice and one of your companions is now permanently dead. O_o
I presume you will be disapointed. laugh

We do not pick Astarion > Astarion leaves >> Astarion is no longer in our party >>> we need to pick someone else, to be our fourth memeber.
I would not call that replacing ... its just being still "almost full" combat effective, even after you made your choice. laugh

If we can diffuse the situation between Laezel and Shadow heart, sure one of them can die, that makes sense. But a blanket dismissal or killing doesn't, even when the plot forces it.
I would need you to draw me the line ...
So if one of those two kill the other one, its fine ... but if you pick one, and therefore you cant also follow the other one, after you resolve your tadpolisation ... its wrong? O_o

Im unable to process this.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
yo , don't tell me you don't want to see sven in medieval armor.

Really don't care at all...

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
Niara's recap of the previous one should be a mandatory read to fully capture the amount of awkwardness produced: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=96429&Number=757338#Post757338
That's your (and Niara's) way of seeing it. Quite enough people enjoyed the show.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
That's your (and Niara's) way of seeing it. Quite enough people enjoyed the show.
Ok? And quite a bunch didn't, as most of the comments in that thread (and in other forums where I cross-posted that recap) can clearly show.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
No, you missunderstand me ...
I didnt want to say that they should be exclusive for each other ... my point was:
Maybe by picking Gale (for example) you loose Group A, containgig: Wyll, Shadow, Astarion, Lae'zel, Karlach ...
And instead of them, you get Group B, containing: Halsin, Volo, Alfira, and i dunno ... Aradin for example, w/e laugh

So you didnt "loose" anything ... you simply swithed one for another. :-/
Simmilar to Goblin, or Tieflings ... you have to choose side ... i know there is possibly third way to ignore them all (so maybe that isnt best exmple once again ... but if you try at least little bit to get what im trying to say, instead of searching where im wrong ... it should surfice laugh ) but so far i didnt try it, so im not sure if that path isnt dead end.

To me that is still "losing," I am losing one group of characters and in return gaining another. Hence my greed, i don't want to do that. I want to be able to finangle the situation to keep almost anyone except in situations where it makes no sense for the character or story. A lot of this is my opinion of what like and dislike.

That example that i concider to be fanmade, and never confrimmed ... since the begining of this theme.

The thing is, with this kind of discussion we can only work with speculation and what we like and dislike. Somethings to look at are precedence with a company, which is the example I am working with. I want to make it clear to Larian I do not want them to repeat what they did in DOS2.

And your example is again more individual characters, in that kind of situation how much the character likes us and possibly some checks could influence the outcome. It is a conflict, and more likely Shadowheart and Laezel would have the conflict, not her and Astarion.

But then you could hardly call that a "comitment".

Think I made it clear above, I am not a commitment guy with this. I want to switch people out at will and play around with a "large" greater party, switching characters in and out of the active party as I get to know them and their stories.

I would not call that replacing ... its just being still "almost full" combat effective, even after you made your choice.

While yes, there'd be combat effectiveness, it'd still be the removal of a character, which I find more important. An example of something I didn't like was actually in the weird JRPG Last Remnant where, without properly spoiling, events led to a character being replaced, with their replacement being essentially the same in combat style and effectiveness. To me that feels like a cop out, to where they want the oomph of someone being gone, but don't want the commitment of the character being gone.

I realize I am weird and can be contradictory, but what I want is individual characters and circumstances to be way more important than game mechanics or "commitment." While I focus a lot on mechanics on this forum, the thing that matters a lot to me with a game like this is characters and story.

Ultimately, my line is it has to be a fair consequence, and is on an individual basis instead of a group basis. I don't want Group A and Group B. If a character leaves, I want it to be a natural consequence of what has happened. Not a forced consequence.

addict
addict
Ok? And quite a bunch didn't, as most of the comments in that thread (and in other forums where I cross-posted that recap) can clearly show.
And what? If something is not tailored for you and those people it shouldn't exist? Like Virion said
You guys are all grumpy af ngl.

veteran
veteran
And what? If something is not tailored for you and those people it shouldn't exist? Like Virion said
You guys are all grumpy af ngl.

Because we want Patch 5 rather than wait (eventually more) to look Sven in armor reading a few patchnote lines with his friends and then look at him "playing" the game ? Rude.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/06/21 08:12 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Page 37 of 45 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 44 45

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard