Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
S
addict
addict
S
Jess? Yes yes! Countdown on my calendar smile

veteran
veteran
I respectfully disagree that it's a good expenditure of funds, or good value for marketing.

They need to generate positive hype for the game; hosting their event in a castle won't achieve that, not when they were determined already to put on a flashy panel show of some sort, which would be distributed and consumed digitally regardless of its actual venue, and not when many, many folks are already question whether Larian has bitten off more than they can chew, are in over their head, and are committing repeated mistakes of personal hubris along the way at every turn. A flashy publicity stunt for a game patch that is long overdue, and the end of a long string of broken words and statements and other misleading marketing, does not make them look professional or like they are doing anything other than flailing about hopefully.

Edit: Let me put it another way... The people who are already on board and hyped for the game are not the ones they need to reach or sell to. The patch itself will do that, as illustrated by the first half dozen comments in this thread. The people who are not interested and who haven't yet bought in on the game are not going to be won over by anything other than the actual content of the patch itself. The people who want to love the game, and who need to be given an infusion of hope and hype after the drought and disappointment are the ones that they need their update campaigning to appeal to the most - I'm in that group, and this drives me away, rather than draws me in.

Last edited by Niara; 02/07/21 07:01 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
They are putting on a flashy marketing event for a D&D RPG in a local castle, located right down the road from their offices. Said Castle is a venue for such events, and likely has had few if any over the past year due to COVID. I'm sure it is happy to have ANY bookings at this point, especially one that would generate publicity for it - weddings and such generally do NOT generate the kind of publicity this will.

I would anticipate Larian received a very good deal regarding costs, given these facts.

The only drawback for this would be choice of "host" as Sven simply isn't the best choice for that. Hopefully they will have someone with a bit more PR/Hosting experience as the front for the show

Originally Posted by Niara
I respectfully disagree that it's a good expenditure of funds, or good value for marketing.

They need to generate positive hype for the game; hosting their event in a castle won't achieve that, not when they were determined already to put on a flashy panel show of some sort, which would be distributed and consumed digitally regardless of its actual venue, and not when many, many folks are already question whether Larian has bitten off more than they can chew, are in over their head, and are committing repeated mistakes of personal hubris along the way at every turn. A flashy publicity stunt for a game patch that is long overdue, and the end of a long string of broken words and statements and other misleading marketing, does not make them look professional or like they are doing anything other than flailing about hopefully.

Edit: Let me put it another way... The people who are already on board and hyped for the game are not the ones they need to reach or sell to. The patch itself will do that, as illustrated by the first half dozen comments in this thread. The people who are not interested and who haven't yet bought in on the game are not going to be won over by anything other than the actual content of the patch itself. The people who want to love the game, and who need to be given an infusion of hope and hype after the drought and disappointment are the ones that they need their update campaigning to appeal to the most - I'm in that group, and this drives me away, rather than draws me in.

I fully see your point of view, but I still believe you're missing the point of such an event.
Sure, it will give us that stalk forums some long awaited news, but we would have settled for patch notes. But the big crowd out there are not the forum lurkers, the vocal fans or the 600+ hours in EA - It's the people who never seen or played the game. The NEW customers they want to draw in and get hyped for the game. The ones that just read the occasional article on gamespot or other media.
And if you read previews, news and other article from gaming media, the reporting is overwhelmingly positive around BG3. Everytime they do an event, more positive article comes out of it. Some of them even highlighting Larian's (awful) homebrew of things.

veteran
veteran
In that case i gues its good thing that you are not the one who decides what they should invest to. wink :P

//edit:
Why even care? Its their money ...
If they want to have less, but have fancy panels ... its their decision. laugh
I mean ... it would be different thing, if this game would be funed by some startup, and barely made it ... but as far as i know, this is not the case. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 02/07/21 09:33 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
I don't know if it is a good use or bad use of funds, and I don't think we will know til afterwards, and even then I wouldn't know. I just hope that they address some community concerns during it.

enthusiast
enthusiast

They need to generate positive hype for the game
Just wait and see, you might be surprised.

I mean, not by the event itself of course; we forum rats are well beyond that point. It's the large audience which hasn't been put on the "D:OS3 King Of The Hill Rush The Ladder Edition" (c) hype train yet, that's what they are aiming for.

Imo they should be given credit when it's due: this is a very unorthodox and bold move, which will certainly boost endorphins' levels in quite a lot of people's heads. Clever trick, I'd give them that.

What they possibly don't realise however, is that this kind of kunststück will only work once. If they will continue to deliver more cheese, and not much else, the backlash can be devastating. They could be essentially cornering themselves as we speak.

veteran
veteran
I am also interested in seeing those Twitch numbers and comments. Its not a bad way to see who is still paying attention and what they think.

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
Honestly, I appreciate that this forum is one of the more negative places, cause it feels like people are more willing to actually state what they think and people are willing to say what they like and dislike about specific things. elsewhere negativity seems to get shot down pretty quickly which kinda drowns out specific feedback...

That said, I kinda do what to see the comments during the stream, see what others reactions cause I might be too steeped in this forum that I kinda stopped checking other places about this game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
What they possibly don't realise however, is that this kind of kunststück will only work once. If they will continue to deliver more cheese, and not much else, the backlash can be devastating. They could be essentially cornering themselves as we speak.

Perhaps, but I consider the PFH2 that 'once' - it didn't go over well then, and more of the same will not do any better now. "Bold and Unorthodox" doesn't necessarily mean "effective" "worthwhile" or "good", as much as marketing division often treat them as synonyms (different doesn't mean useful, innovative doesn't mean functional, etc.)... and if it turns out to be more pyrotechnics, smoke and mirrors, for yet another underwhelming patch that didn't deserve the fanfare, then that's going to be real bad... and I'm not optimistic as of yet that it will not be exactly that.

I mean, please understand... there's no vindictiveness here; I'm not against them, and I don't want them to fail. I'm not attacking their choices out of any sort of spite or hatred... I want this game to be good and I want to like it, truly I do. I want them to succeed... but if the price of success is a half-baked game with no depth that appeals to the extreme lowest common denominator of flashy gaming, and fails utterly to actually feel like a D&D game, then that's a cost too far... and every time I see more of this, I see things moving more and more in that direction.

To Rag, as for why care... well, yeah, sure, it's their money; but a great many companies have bankrupted themselves or floundered by trying to upsell and oversell themselves and their scope/audience appeal without spending enough focus on their actual product, and right now Larian has about eight out of ten of the hallmarks and warning flags for doing exactly that... and as I said, I don't want them to fail.

My hopes for patch 5:

Level 5
Pact of the Blade for Warlocks
New class and subclasses
New companion

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
enthusiast
enthusiast
No argument here, I also want to have a good game in the end. We all do, I suppose - that's why most of us are here, on these forums (not everyone, clearly, but hey...).

I probably didn't make it clear in my post, but I wasn't talking about the product (or, in this case, the update). I meant this particular PR stunt only. Not sure what they did before in this department, wasn't following. For some reason, I find it difficult to keep track of Larian's news, other than through the forum updates. Must be something in the water, or maybe my timezone isn't very suitable for their streams (it will be 4 AM Friday here).

Completely agree about the warning flags. I hope they won't be doing PFH 4 from space, along with Bezos (or Branson, whatever).

enthusiast
enthusiast
or maybe my timezone isn't very suitable for their streams (it will be 4 AM Friday here).

Yep - I am also debating whether I'm crazy enough to wake up at 4am to follow this along live, or just watch/read about how it went later smile

veteran
veteran
This is problem i have with every single American studio ...
Finaly some European make streams in good time for me, dont you dare to take it away! laugh

veteran
veteran
I'm afraid based on the announcement that all we're going to get this patch is more Multiplayer features. Thus, LARPing around a castle determining who makes it out alive. We, the viewers multiplay Larian folks running around... implying multiplayer features.

We'll see. Even more so now, not getting my hopes up.

old hand
old hand
I might have googled wrong, but 11AM PT will be 2PM EST right? I can be pretty bad with geography and timezones lol, not my strongsuit.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This is problem i have with every single American studio ...
Finaly some European make streams in good time for me, dont you dare to take it away! laugh

THIS

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I might have googled wrong, but 11AM PT will be 2PM EST right? I can be pretty bad with geography and timezones lol, not my strongsuit.
20:00 in CEST timezone. O_o

And if you are not quite sure, there is countdown in https://baldursgate3.game/ wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 02/07/21 12:56 PM.

veteran
veteran
I meant this particular PR stunt only. Not sure what they did before in this department, wasn't following. For some reason, I find it difficult to keep track of Larian's news, other than through the forum updates.

No worries, I just meant that I was considering their previous panel form hell to be their one time 'flash and dazzle' stunt - and this is gearing up to be just more of the same only bigger, messier and even less relevant.

There's a run down of their previous Panel From Hell if you missed out - you can read it here: Panel From Hell II Synopsis.

veteran
veteran
Tentatively, I'm planning to, yes, but it will depend on what I've got on my plate.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard