Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Honestly, that'd be even more frustrating. I am fine with them "knowing" but they can be very judgy for unclear reasons.
True. smile
Both of it ...

Honestly i dont mind followers being judgy, as long as they judge my decisions ...
What i DO mind tho, is when i loose sometimes so hardly earned reputation, bcs rolls were bad. :-/
Like when you want to squish the tadpole that crawl out of that Dwarf head, but sadly ... RNG says you dont. -_-

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
LOL. They literally have taddpoles and can read your mind.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Do you honestly think that by the time its ripe for release, that it will still have most, if not all of these ''problems'' ? The remainder of nitpicky issues will be easily and most probably solved by a modder with the same gripes as you. We have an active and hardworking mod community already, check the Discord, they're working their butts off with what they got.

Mods are not in ANY way an excuse for problems with a game. A game should be judged on its own merits/how it is out-of-the-box, mods have nothing to do with it.
If your statement were true in any sense then in comparison most of Bethesda's games would be crashing dumpsterfires, with no redeeming qualities about them (and that they are most certainly not, well... at least until they did what they did to Fallout grin ).
I'm all for some of the changes needed that were pointed out in this thread, but some just seem like wishful thinking when you look at things from a game development perspective and as such, forgive me if I'm wrong, they are best left to modders. Anyone who cares about D&D will personalize their experience in any way possible, so yeah, I have no worries about it. ​

If a problem is simple enough to fix that a modder without full access to the code can deal with it, that should be all the more incentive for them to fix it, as paradoxical as that may sound.
All in due time friend. I understand what you're trying to say, but some of the talking points here have been strewn all across these forums in many forms and ideas over the past year, to say Larian hasn't got them on their radar would be silly. The things left unchanged or not even recognized is bound to be solved by the community.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by S2PHANE
Do you honestly think that by the time its ripe for release, that it will still have most, if not all of these ''problems'' ?
It’s difficult to say. There is a long, long time till release, and we don’t even have insight into Larian’s live code. The best one can do right now is complain about every little thing, and let Larian sift through, and decide what’s good, what’s not, and what’s just the matter of time.

If your statement were true in any sense then in comparison most of Bethesda's games would be crashing dumpsterfires, with no redeeming qualities about them
I mean, yes. Modding is all good, but it doesn’t replace the need for finishing the game you are making. If players themselves have to create semi-competent UIs then I would describe it as a dumpster fire. They might have value as a creativity toy, due their modding ease and flexibility, but I wouldn’t want other games learning any wrong lessons from Elder Scrolls.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
they can be very judgy for unclear reasons.

So, like real life then!

Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

I'm well aware of him and the issues hes been working around. Gods work, really, and that work is admittedly far from easy. The point still stands.
We just have to wait for the full release to see what options Larian will leave us with. People wanting early access to be right up their alley and coming in with some preconcieved notions of what a Baldurs Gate game is - has and will continue to lead to people getting jaded and angry with the game (completely their fault because the terms of use are clearly stated and there is enough information out there about the game to know if its for you or not, but its still sad).

Right now 90% of the forums is all regurgitated howling at the moon. Same old questions with the same old answers for the past 5 months that I have been here. There is no way that the game will stay in the state it is and that Larian won't at least give people the option to choose how they wish to play the game with some of the alarming issues that have been addressed on their forums. Call me naive but I still have hope.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
If your statement were true in any sense then in comparison most of Bethesda's games would be crashing dumpsterfires, with no redeeming qualities about them
I mean, yes. Modding is all good, but it doesn’t replace the need for finishing the game you are making. If players themselves have to create semi-competent UIs then I would describe it as a dumpster fire. They might have value as a creativity toy, due their modding ease and flexibility, but I wouldn’t want other games learning any wrong lessons from Elder Scrolls.
Oh, no no no I didn't mean for it to come out like that. I want BG3 to be a complete game, ofcourse, but its almost as if people forgot that its still a game in development. Most of the people are attacking them on topics that are subject to change as if they peddaled a finished product on them. At least the criticisms here are eloquently sorted. Its been almost a decade since Skyrim and people are still making 10/10 mods around the game, completely rehauling most of the foundations. If Larian makes their game open in a similar model, I think most of the glaring issues could be solved in time, some would be improved and a whole plethora of new additions could make this the ultimate D&D experience for years to come. But hey, here I go with my own wishful thinking. smile

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:56 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
that work is admittedly far from easy. The point still stands.

<Redacted>
I said no such thing. Its right up there, don't get tunnel visioned. I said some of the remaining issues after full release would be easily and most probably solved.
Some things can't be addressed through mods, thats true for now. But even if Larian locks us out of changing things around, it doesn't mean that things will stay the way they are.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:57 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
<Redacted>
You my good sir got it wrong and to be honest I have no intention of explaining myself to you because I have better things to do with my time. I think my English is good enough to be well understood by most and as such I would urge you to read through the posts again. Have a good one.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 10:39 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
veteran
<Redacted>

I'm well aware of him and the issues hes been working around. Gods work, really, and that work is admittedly far from easy. The point still stands.
We just have to wait for the full release to see what options Larian will leave us with. People wanting early access to be right up their alley and coming in with some preconcieved notions of what a Baldurs Gate game is - has and will continue to lead to people getting jaded and angry with the game (completely their fault because the terms of use are clearly stated and there is enough information out there about the game to know if its for you or not, but its still sad).

Right now 90% of the forums is all regurgitated howling at the moon. Same old questions with the same old answers for the past 5 months that I have been here. There is no way that the game will stay in the state it is and that Larian won't at least give people the option to choose how they wish to play the game with some of the alarming issues that have been addressed on their forums. Call me naive but I still have hope.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
Oh, no no no I didn't mean for it to come out like that. I want BG3 to be a complete game, ofcourse, but its almost as if people forgot that its still a game in development. Most of the people are attacking them on topics that are subject to change as if they peddaled a finished product on them. At least the criticisms here are eloquently sorted. Its been almost a decade since Skyrim and people are still making 10/10 mods around the game, completely rehauling most of the foundations. If Larian makes their game open in a similar model, I think most of the glaring issues could be solved in time, some would be improved and a whole plethora of new additions could make this the ultimate D&D experience for years to come. But hey, here I go with my own wishful thinking. smile
If using a ton of mods is how a game has to be played, then it is a fundamentally flawed game. And yes, that is exactly what I say about Skyrim, which I considier to be a very poor game whose sales numbers don't impress me at all. Furthermore, we critics are not the ones who need to have more faith that Larian will address most of these issues before final launch. I for one have seen zero indication that this will happen, so for me you are the one who is extremely naive in believing Larian will fix these issues before launch. I'll believe the fixes when I see them, and not one second sooner.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 10:40 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
G
addict
addict
G
It's fun when you buy a car only to find that parts of the engine are missing, the windows roll down and get stuck there, and there are no seatbelts, and then you call the dealership and they tell you that it's fine, the community of mechanics will probably fix it eventually. The possibility for individuals to make changes to a finished product does not excuse releasing a shoddy product. Mods are fine for messing around with different ways of playing the game, but there has to be a solid foundation for them to build on. We're here to give feedback on that foundation, not on a purely theoretical tricked out game.

I do believe that Larian will fix (most of) the things that they perceive as problems before launch. The issue for me is that what they consider a problem and what I consider a problem are wildly different. They claim to be paying attention to our feedback, but designers fall in love with their babies all the time and are often blind to critical responses.

Last edited by grysqrl; 02/07/21 04:36 PM.
addict
addict
Do you honestly think that by the time its ripe for release, that it will still have most, if not all of these ''problems'' ?

Yes. Because Larian seems to have a very different idea of what is a problem and what is a feature than I do. And some other people as well, as this thread shows.

Regarding faith in Larian: I had it, I had copious amounts of it. Then I realized I'd been extremely naive and blind to reality, and that Larian has no interest in making the game they were claiming to be making (meaning one that is faithful to both BG and D&D 5e). I'd love to be proven wrong, but at this point it seems extremely unlikely.

Mods are not in ANY way an excuse for problems with a game. A game should be judged on its own merits/how it is out-of-the-box, mods have nothing to do with it.
If your statement were true in any sense then in comparison most of Bethesda's games would be crashing dumpsterfires, with no redeeming qualities about them (and that they are most certainly not, well... at least until they did what they did to Fallout grin ).

I played Skyrim as the barest vanilla, without expansions or mods. And still, while the game has MANY problems, I did enjoy my lenghty playthrough. And yes, I am judging it by its own merits and not by to what extent modders managed to fix the game. The story is bad. The combat is bad. The reactivity is bad. The UI is bad. The perk trees are underwhelming. It's a buggy mess. This remains true regardless of mods. Mods don't cleanse the game's sins, so to speak.

The mindset of judging a game by "game+mods" completely baffles me, if I am to be honest. I take it a game is shit at release and masterpiece two decades later, without developers as much as releasing a single patch?

Originally Posted by grysqrl
It's fun when you buy a car only to find that parts of the engine are missing, the windows roll down and get stuck there, and there are no seatbelts, and then you call the dealership and they tell you that it's fine, the community of mechanics will probably fix it eventually.

Also the car is not actually a car, it's a boat that they marketed as a car. (Which I guess would explain the lack of seatbelts, among other oddities.)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
It's fun when you buy a car only to find that parts of the engine are missing, the windows roll down and get stuck there, and there are no seatbelts, and then you call the dealership and they tell you that it's fine, the community of mechanics will probably fix it eventually.

Also the car is not actually a car, it's a boat that they marketed as a car. (Which I guess would explain the lack of seatbelts, among other oddities.)

More like you buy a car but it's green not yellow, you would like a different set of tires and why are the windows black? Wtf? In the " Sarevok V7 " model all windows were perfectly transparent!
And you know what? That's fine. You can change them easily :| The community of mechanics will be glad to help.

Denying the impact mods have for a game, especially in case of BG3 where you have DOS fans, BG fans and D&D fans isn't the way go. But granted some mechanics still require changes from Larian.

Let's agree on one thing : No point of discussing what mods will or won't change. Focus on what after you should be different or stay the same wink

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by virion
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

More like you buy a car but it's green not yellow, you would like a different set of tires and why are the windows black? Wtf? In the " Sarevok V7 " model all windows were perfectly transparent!

Dont forget that assembling of "the car" was not even finished yet ... so far we dont have even whole 1/3. laugh laugh laugh
And yet, he allready wants to ride and is curious about things that are not working perfectly smoothly. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 03/07/21 08:38 AM.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Maybe in general ...
But if people are unable to agree on how something should look, or work ... what are developers suppose to do?
Create ten systems, and ballance the game for each separately? laugh

Nah ...
As long as the game is working "as they wanted" ... its not fixing, its alterning ... even if that alternation might be better in someone eyes.
Wich does everytime i would gues ... after all, why would anyone download a mod to make his game worse? laugh

veteran
veteran
<Redacted>
^This.

Last edited by Raze; 16/03/22 08:30 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
People talks ... noting stays private for long in such small group.

That's the theory. No one ever talks in the game. Companions have a static spot on camp. They never talk together neither at camp or during your exploration... Except a bit Shadowheart and Lae'Zel.

But anyway as Virion said, they have a tadpole, we could consider that nothing is secret. On the other hand I agree with CJM and the reason to dissaprove is sometimes very unclear. I realize that this is what bother me rather than "she heard us". Answering something like "we have to find a cure" to shadowheart makes lae'zel dissaprove, which is stupid considering that we weren't talking about a specific solution (>< the creche)

More than half of the points in this thread sound easily fixed by mods when the game comes out, to be honest.

And ?
Mods are not supposed to fix a game and being able to mod the game doesn't prevent to make suggestions to improve it.

You should try Bannerlord, a game that NEED mods to be fully enjoyable. Mods are definitely not the cherry on the cake when we're talking about this game.

Anyway you looks to be in the "wait for release before making suggestions or complaint about something" camp.
Your assumptions are based on nothing but your "faith". Feedback and suggestion is what an EA is for.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/07/21 08:49 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
That's the theory. No one ever talks in the game. Companions have a static spot on camp. They never talk together neither at camp or during your exploration... Except a bit Shadowheart and Lae'Zel.

But anyway as Virion said, they have a tadpole, we could consider that nothing is secret. On the other hand I agree with CJM and the reason to dissaprove is sometimes very unclear. I realize that this is what bother me rather than "she heard us". Answering something like "we have to find a cure" to shadowheart makes lae'zel dissapear, which is stupid considering that we weren't talking about a specific solution (>< the creche)
Good points ...
I also hope they start to talk more with each other. frown

veteran
veteran
I think this mod discussion is very theoretical at this point.

Now I am a very big mod enthusiast. I use mods for pretty much every pc game I play. And I think every mod user who uses mods as extensively as I do knows without any understanding of how to make mods that there is a big difference between Bethesda games and anything else.

As for the reason why that is, because I have no real understanding of how mod creation works, I can only guess. I assume it is both because of their popularity and the ease of mod creation. There are games with easy to make mods (like mount and blade) and there are games which are very popular (resident evil 2 remake) and hence have many mods, but I think only Bethesda engines enjoy both popularity and ease of use.

Moreover, Bethesda games creation kit and other tools allow the creators much more than skins and textures. This flexibility and ability to change almost every aspect of the game is pretty much unique and I never seen any other game engine which allows this amount of tinkering.

As for Baldur's Gate 3, although we already have a very active mod community (which is great news), I still think this is very early to say how flexible the game will be with mods, and how extensive the possible editions to the game will be.

And as a mod user who really don't know much about how to create mods, my default is to check out the other Larian game with similar engine.

Looking at the divinity original sin 2 mod site on the Nexus the situation is actually better than what I remembered. There are some gameplay altering mods, nothing major (for example, I couldn't find a mod to remove dos2 strange armour system that many people complained about) but still impressive. I also saw at least one quest mod and some new models. Which means it is possible to edit models, but the very small selection either indicates lack of interest of the mod community or hard process, don't know which.
To summarize, judging by dos2 mod page, there is a potential here. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for Bg3, could be better and could be worse, but still a nice way to try and predict how the Bg3 mod scene will look like.

It is also important to note that if it wasn't clear, it seems nowhere close to Bethesda modding in terms of options. It is also important to note that even before release BG3 seems to be much more popular than DOS2 so this message that draw in more modders.

Now I agree with kanisatha and others here that a game should be good on its own and mods should only be an extra treat that enhances the game and improve its shelf life (like mods are for Baldur's Gate 2 for example). But I have to admit that if Baldur's Gate 3 will be modable to a satisfactory extent I will be very happy with it.

Some things I hope for when I say satisfactory -
- a possibility to add more classes, subclasses and race that will work well.
- some changes to the gameplay which will allow for a more faithful DND experience.
- more armors and clothing (so far what we have is very limited and is using game assets)
- more silly cool mods (we already have some of those like the wings mod)

The problem with modern modding -
Even if the modding community will be super big and the game will be very easy to mod, there is one major thing that can't be easily modded - story and characters. Even if technically it will be possible, creating major story changes need voice acting and scripting in a very advanced level. And this is an aspect Larian can't fuck up on or we will be stuck with great modable game with bad story.

So far I was very optimistic in this comment, but now I'm gonna be a buzzkill and say that
A) I don't think the game will allow extensive modding, at least not extensive enough as to offer everyone the experience they want from BG 3. Day night circle, rtwp, and even a reaction system are things that come to mind. If anyone can show me otherwise I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
B) if the story and characters of this game won't be good enough, no amount of modding will be enough to fix this game for me. Dedicated fanbase can save a game (vampire bloodlines) but only if it has enough potential.

Last edited by Abits; 04/07/21 12:14 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Abits

Now I am a very big mod enthusiast. I use mods for pretty much every pc game I play. And I think every mod user who uses mods as extensively as I do knows without any understanding of how to make mods that there is a big difference between Bethesda games and anything else.

As for the reason why that is, because I have no real understanding of how mod creation works, I can only guess. I assume it is both because of their popularity and the ease of mod creation. There are games with easy to make mods (like mount and blade) and there are games which are very popular (resident evil 2 remake) and hence have many mods, but I think only Bethesda engines enjoy both popularity and ease of use.

Moreover, Bethesda games creation kit and other tools allow the creators much more than skins and textures. This flexibility and ability to change almost every aspect of the game is pretty much unique and I never seen any other game engine which allows this amount of tinkering.

As for Baldur's Gate 3, although we already have a very active mod community (which is great news), I still think this is very early to say how flexible the game will be with mods, and how extensive the possible editions to the game will be.

And as a mod user who really don't know much about how to create mods, my default is to check out the other Larian game with similar engine.

Looking at the divinity original sin 2 mod site on the Nexus the situation is actually better than what I remembered. There are some gameplay altering mods, nothing major (for example, I couldn't find a mod to remove dos2 strange armour system that many people complained about) but still impressive. I also saw at least one quest mod and some new models. Which means it is possible to edit models, but the very small selection either indicates lack of interest of the mod community or hard process, don't know which.
To summarize, judging by dos2 mod page, there is a potential here. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for Bg3, could be better and could be worse, but still a nice way to try and predict how the Bg3 mod scene will look like.

It is also important to note that if it wasn't clear, it seems nowhere close to Bethesda modding in terms of options. It is also important to note that even before release BG3 seems to be much more popular than DOS2 so this message that draw in more modders.

Now I agree with kanisatha and others here that a game should be good on its own and mods should only be an extra treat that enhances the game and improve its shelf life (like mods are for Baldur's Gate 2 for example). But I have to admit that if Baldur's Gate 3 will be modable to a satisfactory extent I will be very happy with it.

- some changes to the gameplay which will allow for a more faithful DND experience.
- more armors and clothing (so far what we have is very limited and is using game assets)

Even if the modding community will be super big and the game will be very easy to mod, there is one major thing that can't be easily modded - story and characters. Even if technically it will be possible, creating major story changes need voice acting and scripting in a very advanced level. And this is an aspect Larian can't fuck up on or we will be stuck with great modable game with bad story.

So far I was very optimistic in this comment, but now I'm gonna be a buzzkill and say that
A) I don't think the game will allow extensive modding, at least not extensive enough as to offer everyone the experience they want from BG 3. Day night circle, rtwp, and even a reaction system are things that come to mind. If anyone can show me otherwise I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
B) if the story and characters of this game won't be good enough, no amount of modding will be enough to fix this game for me. Dedicated fanbase can save a game (vampire bloodlines) but only if it has enough potential.

Custom Campaigns, if its possible people will make there own stories. Example would be NwN1 & 2.

Last edited by fallenj; 04/07/21 02:39 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
Originally Posted by Abits

Custom Campaigns, if its possible people will make there own stories. Example would be NwN1 & 2.
Oh yeah totally forgot about that one. Super Important.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard