Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 49 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 48 49
veteran
veteran
For controls, I'd like:

1. Auto-Jump. I picked where I want to go and I only jump if necessary to get there. If I can make the jump, I click the spot, and I just jump there. No need to click a Jump button.

2. Disengage all by itself. It needs to be an action so it matters to use it. Also, backstab should be removed unless 2 allies are flanking.

3. Party Mode Button. If you click it, everyone ia grouped. If I click a character or portrait, group is unchained. If I picked Stealth in Party Mode, all stealth together. Want to only have 2 or 3 grouped, hold Shift and click portraits.

4. Party Leader is in left most slot. This is the character who initiates dialogues, every time.

5. Switch Characters during Dialogue. So I can have Rogue Deceive, Fighter Intimidate, etc.

6. Spell menu, well organized and all on one spell menu popup window, not willy nilly on hot bar.

7. Same with special attacks like Menacing Strike and Sneak Attack, etc. Should be a menu for Actions and one for Bonuses.

8. Remove Dual vs. Single. If I want to use my off hand I'll click on the button. Dual causes characters to waste their offhand attack too often.

9. Inventory management overhaul. Too clunky. Needs multi-select feature at bare minimum and bags should have more value. Bags should have their own slot and determine how many items you can actually hold.

Last edited by GM4Him; 24/04/21 02:17 AM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
+1 Agree with multi selection as and removal of the linked system at least as an option.

veteran
veteran
Points for the short list there regarding controls! total agreement

In addition to those 9 I'd like to add...

10. The Camera: The orbital cam should rotate with a Right-Click by default (along the Z axis as well!) and I'd like the camera to orient on the party leader by default or on a selected character when their portrait or avatar is double-left clicked. The camera should not be able to roam outside a character's field of view, but have a radius determined by the selected character's line of sight. That would not only help with the general party controls, but also for maintaining a role for scouts within the game, as well as for heightened suspense, realism, and interest when exploring the various environments.

I
stranger
stranger
I
I concur with the points the OP raised. (Better late than never:P)

The auto-follow can result in situations in the current iterration of the game where half your party is jumping around in tight places like crazy.

The links between party members are tedious to handle. Whenever you want to set up an ambush, or just move a single character around, you have to break the party apart one by one, and then reattach everyone afterwards.
The only reason this system was tolerable to me in DOS1, and DOS2 was that I've played lone wolf playthroughs.
This is probably part of the reason we won't get a larger party, as managing a party of six would quickly become bothersome.

Don't know how time consuming, or at all feasable it would be to change the party control system to something akin to the ones seen in BG, or any of it's spiritual successors, but I think most fans of the original title would prefer the classic control scheme.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Just crossed in another section of the forum:
Originally Posted by PFlux
Howdy folks. Done a little looking around, but I haven't tested a game in several years. So like myself, my search-fu has become old and weak.

1) Can you have the whole team go stealth mode all at once together, instead of scrolling through each individual person?

One of us! One of us!
Just kidding. If I were to actually report here every time someone complains about these shitty controls on the internet I would have hardly time to do anything else.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Don't you guys ever move your team Seperately? If you want to charge at the group in one go, keep them together, but if you want to be a tactician... Seperate them. The controls are excruciatingly simple, I have close to one of the worse PC to play this, I lag like.. a HELL lot sometimes unless I watch the game from tactical view. But I still am able to plan my moves Perfectly. What's wrong isn't the mechanics, but rather your sense of adaptation. Dig deeper in the games that came out since the dawn of gaming, and you'll find that this, is Amazingly easy to control as you want.

I do see the complaints that you have to seperate them, and... wtf!? Are you kidding me? You want them to do stuff according to what You want, but having them moving seperatly Outside of a fight isn't good enough for you? Sneak around, don't just stand there. Stay out of sight. When your tank is in combat, the game won't proceed as long as it's your character's turn to move. Gives you Plenty of time to deal a massive ammount of damage. Hell I cleared fights in 1-2 turns simply from keeping the right characters out of a fight by having them hidden outside of the enemies sight. Play smart, don't be a berserker. Max level doesnt allow you to be as cocky as you hope to be.

Originally Posted by Kryldost
Don't you guys ever move your team Seperately? If you want to charge at the group in one go, keep them together, but if you want to be a tactician... Seperate them. The controls are excruciatingly simple, I have close to one of the worse PC to play this, I lag like.. a HELL lot sometimes unless I watch the game from tactical view. But I still am able to plan my moves Perfectly. What's wrong isn't the mechanics, but rather your sense of adaptation. Dig deeper in the games that came out since the dawn of gaming, and you'll find that this, is Amazingly easy to control as you want.

I do see the complaints that you have to seperate them, and... wtf!? Are you kidding me? You want them to do stuff according to what You want, but having them moving seperatly Outside of a fight isn't good enough for you? Sneak around, don't just stand there. Stay out of sight. When your tank is in combat, the game won't proceed as long as it's your character's turn to move. Gives you Plenty of time to deal a massive ammount of damage. Hell I cleared fights in 1-2 turns simply from keeping the right characters out of a fight by having them hidden outside of the enemies sight. Play smart, don't be a berserker. Max level doesnt allow you to be as cocky as you hope to be.

Either you're trolling or you have completely missed the point of the topic...

I think you're all way too pushy. Not trolling. You're all acting like you are part of the developement team, adding your grain of salt to everything you dislike about the mechanics. I totally agree, the point of the topic is good, what I don't agree with is how much whining is going on. Y'all forgetting something though, you're asking for a big rewritting of the codes for your whims. Rewritting that risks breaking the entire games, which a lot more people will not be happy with. Let them finish the game first, once it's released in its entierty, well damn! The suggestion Is submited, Good! I'd love this too! Now just isn't the time to Want these in. I want the game first, the Full game. I want improvements later.

Agreed! Feedback is good and required. Just be thoughtful of what you ask and be patient as to when you'll get it. This is a very intricate request that will take a lot of time for completion. As for the "complaining", if the hat fits, wear it. If not, so be it! This has 30 pages, its not All complaints.

Last edited by Kryldost; 06/06/21 04:50 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>
Or we simply feedback something they dont want to change prehaps?
I mean ... to ask for feedback, and to get feedback, dont mean that they need to change everythign acording to that feedback ... does it?

Last edited by Raze; 16/03/22 08:47 AM. Reason: deleted forum account

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Larian's control scheme is one of the WORST that exist in video games. It has 0 advantages over other systems. Changing this would improve their games a lot.

If players keep repeating this games after games...there's a reason... It's not like if they weren't any consensus about this mechanics (threads on forums, polls on reddit, khalid sludge polls, ...)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/06/21 07:16 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
I was rude with my inital comment, I'm impatient too! Sorry. I want to learn more of the game's lore, I'm a lore freak :V

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'll try to be charitable and presume that it wasn't deliberate trolling and you simply didn't understand what we are talking about across the entire thread.

Especially since your original objection doesn't make a lick of sense. Our unhappiness with the current system stems PRECISELY from the fact that "moving your team separately" feels like convoluted garbage with the current control scheme, compared with pretty much any other notable alternative in the genre.

Last edited by Tuco; 07/06/21 11:19 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
For the series "I feel partially vindicated", even Harbs Narbs, someone that so far spent a lot of time and effort defending Larian no matter what and occasionally even antagonizing the user base for being "overly critical", lists the CHAIN/UNCHAIN system as FIRST among the things he currently doesn't like in game.

While I had no expectation that anyone at Larian would ever pay attention to my little stubborn crusade (and if anything after months of hammering the point I can see a scenario where they roll their eyes and changes side of the road when they see me coming), maybe they'll have to actually reconsider things when even their most faithful devotes start to point out that some things just don't work that well.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
For the series "I feel partially vindicated", even Harbs Narbs, someone that so far spent a lot of time and effort defending Larian no matter what and occasionally even antagonizing the user base for being "overly critical", lists the CHAIN/UNCHAIN system as FIRST among the things he currently doesn't like in game.

While I had no expectation that anyone at Larian would ever pay attention to my little stubborn crusade (and if anything after months of hammering the point I can see a scenario where they roll their eyes and changes side of the road when they see me coming), maybe they'll have to actually reconsider things when even their most faithful devotes start to point out that some things just don't work that well.

Yeah. Not sure if I said it, but I can deal with the chain system, but ultimately its inefficient. When I feel I am about to interact with that system its a tiny little damper on my fun knowing I will have to muck about with it.

Larian is entering a bigger world, where the quirky things they do are going to be held up to greater scrutiny. Its a test of their ability to adapt and let go of the things that don't serve them as well as they could.

Blackheifer
What I don't get is why Larian so stubbornly refuse to address this issue. Is it some kind of misguided sense of pride?
I sincerely believe that it wouldn't require that much effort from Larian to improve the movement Mechanic in to something that at least resemble modern gaming standards when it comes to control.

And I know Solasta is a bad word here. But i just tried out BG3 after playing through Solasta. And damn... BG3's crappy party controls is even more noticeable now.
I simply can not believe that the developers think that the current system is fine. I simply can not. Maybe they are working on ways to improve it but just doesn't have anything to show yet. Or they will save it for the finished version of the game.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Peranor
What I don't get is why Larian so stubbornly refuse to address this issue. Is it some kind of misguided sense of pride?
I sincerely believe that it wouldn't require that much effort from Larian to improve the movement Mechanic in to something that at least resemble modern gaming standards when it comes to control.

And I know Solasta is a bad word here. But i just tried out BG3 after playing through Solasta. And damn... BG3's crappy party controls is even more noticeable now.
I simply can not believe that the developers think that the current system is fine. I simply can not. Maybe they are working on ways to improve it but just doesn't have anything to show yet. Or they will save it for the finished version of the game.
In their more recent interview they claimed that the upcoming update will focus on addressing quality of life and systems according to the feedback of the community more than on adding new content.

To be perfectly honest I don't want to raise anyone's expectations, since have very little hope to see this request for revamped controls addressed, as I have yet to see the slightest sign that Larian even acknowledges this as a problem that exists.
Still, you never know. Waiting few more days (weeks) at this point hardly makes a difference.

Also, yes to what you said. It's funny, because I don't even like the Solasta's control scheme that much (both PoE 2 or the two Pathfinder would be better ideal models as far as I'm concerned), but man if I wouldn't take that over what we got here in a heartbeat.

I want to be clear about this, I did not read 30 pages of content wether this was.... Remotely solved or not.

I think the main issue behind changing the whole party movement system is the 3d aspect. Your characters can be "party movement" eligible whenever they within a certain distance if they are above bellow beside or "close enough". I been playing again a little before patch 5 and I tried to find posible solutions to the time it took to seperate them.

(I also want to specify I am playing this on a 10 years old PC that is WAY behind on everything this game is running on. I am playing the game at half the speed it should be running on. I am DEFINITELY aware of the time it takes to seperate a party member from another because it takes me up to 10 seconds to seperate them properly if I try to go too fast.)

I think having them One by One as the first step of the movement equation would be nice.

Getting to select in your party whoever could move together without needing to "chain mechanic" them together be another good movement option.

Lastly, having an hotkey for every closeby group member would also give an edge to this kind of mechanic.

I 100% feel the pain of seperating and joining members due to my graphical lag, It's a Major pain in the ass to deal with this lenght of seperation. I would welcome a seperate mechanic in the future.

addict
addict
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by virion; 11/07/21 09:07 AM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Kryldost
I want to be clear about this, I did not read 30 pages of content wether this was.... Remotely solved or not.

I think the main issue behind changing the whole party movement system is the 3d aspect. Your characters can be "party movement" eligible whenever they within a certain distance if they are above bellow beside or "close enough". I been playing again a little before patch 5 and I tried to find posible solutions to the time it took to seperate them.

(I also want to specify I am playing this on a 10 years old PC that is WAY behind on everything this game is running on. I am playing the game at half the speed it should be running on. I am DEFINITELY aware of the time it takes to seperate a party member from another because it takes me up to 10 seconds to seperate them properly if I try to go too fast.)

I think having them One by One as the first step of the movement equation would be nice.

Getting to select in your party whoever could move together without needing to "chain mechanic" them together be another good movement option.

Lastly, having an hotkey for every closeby group member would also give an edge to this kind of mechanic.

I 100% feel the pain of seperating and joining members due to my graphical lag, It's a Major pain in the ass to deal with this lenght of seperation. I would welcome a seperate mechanic in the future.
Yes well it does not need to be super new and best hardware for example if this game is released year 2022 or 2023 the best hardware out there when released is not must have for this game.

I ran on MAX FULL HD (my display have max FULL HD) with this computer and it is not new computer I did pay it in year 2018.
The desktop.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor in TURBO mode 4.2 Ghz
Socket-AM4, 6-Cores, 12-Threads

Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS, Socket-AM4 Motherboard, ATX, X470, DDR4, 3xPCIe-x16,
CFX, 2x M.2, USB 3.1, Mystic Light RGB

GPU: Nvidia 1070 Titanium 8GB DDR5

RAM: 16 GB to be more exact:
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 16GB KIT 3200Mhz
2x8GB, PC25600/3200Mhz, 16GVBK, CL 16

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB, 2,5

HDD:Separately have none SSD hardrives one of them new:
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' HDD

Power: Seasonic Focus+ 650W 80+ GOLD PSU ATX 12V, 80 Plus Gold, Modular

Anyway despite me not having performance issues with maximum graphics FULL HD I agree with Tuco that need better party control. Tuco is wise in suggestions of improvement. I have alredy bought this game and I will play this at least with my brother but there is room for improvement.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 11/07/21 03:01 PM.
Page 30 of 49 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard