Print Thread
#779404 07/07/21 01:56 AM
Z
Zaxtaj Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
I have played this Alpha a lot, and I quickly realized my favorite activity in the game is to make characters with very high strength and throw NPCs around. It is a very OP way to play the game, and makes soloing without a party very fun actually. I'm including a youtube video for an example of how I like to use the throwing mechanic.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
It's incredibly powerful, I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often in conversations about broken mechanics, to be honest.

It certainly changes your tactics, once you realize you can reposition any enemy anywhere you want with 100% chance of success. Also, when your battle draws in additional foes, it's now s a good thing: more goblin ammunition to toss at the ogres!

Z
Zaxtaj Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by agouzov
It's incredibly powerful, I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often in conversations about broken mechanics, to be honest.

It certainly changes your tactics, once you realize you can reposition any enemy anywhere you want with 100% chance of success. Also, when your battle draws in additional foes, it's now s a good thing: more goblin ammunition to toss at the ogres!

Using enemies as ammunition against others is hilarious, it gets even crazier when you realize that you can literally throw enemies against walls and deal both the throwing damage and falling damage to them, as shown in my video. This also happens when you throw enemies at corpses sometimes, and you can still use a corpse as ammunition!

veteran
Online Content
veteran
[video:youtube]
[/video]

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
I don't find this mechanic fun at all. I find it ridiculous and innapropriate. Serious game or silly game ?

Impossible to be both and to be coherent at the same time. Is BG3 a new legendary games / series or just just another video game ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/07/21 05:21 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
It is fun the first one or two times, and then you realize how broken it is and the game falls apart fast.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I don't find this mechanic fun at all. I find it ridiculous and innapropriate. Serious game or silly game ?

Impossible to be both and coherent at the same time.
Legendary games >< just another video game.

I think both can be present in the same game. Brevity and humour can help make seriousness more digestible. However, it can prove to be a detriment too. There needs to be a balance and often times you want the humorous stuff to not overlap too much with the serious stuff.
Its why the animal climbing ladders thing I am mostly fine with, while the distance of shove I am not.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 07/07/21 05:09 AM.
veteran
veteran
Humor doesn't mean silly things everywhere.

In exemple The original Baldur's Gate series, the Witcher series or the Mass Effect series have humor and are usually coherent and consistent.

But fun and humor in those games doesn't mean eating pig heads during combats, dip your weapons/hands, cow that climb ladders, shockwave everywhere (well, it may be appropriate in Mass Effect), throwing ennemies and so on.

I guess those games wouldn't have been praised so much and wouldn't have became legendary series if they weren't coherent and immersive, what BG3 is not at all because of Larian's over exagerated "sense of humor"

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/07/21 09:01 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
E
addict
addict
E
Is the OP being sarcastic? Hard to read tone of voice in the written word.

Personally not a fan of gimmicks like this. I’d take well written humour over slapstick comedy everytime.

S
addict
addict
S
Certainly looks like silly fun, but a fun at the expense of immersion and balance. Humor can be done intelligently - like in the original series. Forcing these things to become systems devoid of internal logic and balance, honestly makes me think of BG3 less as a proper, long-awaited sequel of a legendary series and more as "Buffoon's Gait 3", the spoof game. Image of the lanky, uncoordinated figure of Swen wearing his plate mail backwards, and tell me it's not emblematic for the game wink

Last edited by Seraphael; 07/07/21 08:43 AM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Is the OP being sarcastic? Hard to read tone of voice in the written word.

Personally not a fan of gimmicks like this. I’d take well written humour over slapstick comedy everytime.

Yeah if you check his post history he is an experienced player that has been in since launch and has a deep and nuanced understanding of how the mechanics work and the issues with the game.

Yet his post comes off as "I am New to game. I throw monsters at other monsters and dey die good! Look how smart I be"

So yeah, probably a bit of a bait. Haha!

He is probably just bored. Waiting for that Patch 5.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
Throwing people around makes me think of those really old black&white Hercules movies, where he never uses a weapon, he just tosses people out of his way. The key to making this work is in the sound effects when the victim lands ... the groaning sound of the air bursting forth as the adversary's lungs are crushed. It's the same type of entertainment you get from watching the TV show Wipeout.

veteran
veteran
another great example of how Larian puts gameplay mechanics in higher regard than anything else. I don't think silliness is a problem on its own, but context matters. there is a difference between minsc and boo being silly while everyone is super serious and exploiting a game mechanic to silly results that don't really have any impact on the world.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Zaxtaj
I have played this Alpha a lot, and I quickly realized my favorite activity in the game is to make characters with very high strength and throw NPCs around. It is a very OP way to play the game, and makes soloing without a party very fun actually. I'm including a youtube video for an example of how I like to use the throwing mechanic.

The funniest thing about this is that you disabled playback on other sites for your own video.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 07/07/21 01:24 PM.

Blackheifer
V
V
Yeah I did not know you could do that, that is actually quite clever reasoning in that encounter. I do not think this is silly or unauthentic, but it is a staple of the game that the gameplay evolves around a certain set of gameplay mechanics.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by VincentNZ
Yeah I did not know you could do that, that is actually quite clever reasoning in that encounter. I do not think this is silly or unauthentic, but it is a staple of the game that the gameplay evolves around a certain set of gameplay mechanics.

Try it. You'll probably realize soon how silly it is smile

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
With the new patch, throwing enemies is much harder than before. No more throwing goblins around willy-nilly. I was only able to do it with the frog (thankfully or the thing would have probably massacred my party)

Last edited by agouzov; 16/07/21 03:56 AM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard