Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
...But what's more important, we'll get some weird-ass Twitch chat + LARPing interaction. Yay.

Here's a short preview:

Haha grin

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Something I am terrified about is that IF they actually read our comments, are there users they know by name because of how many times or what they've commented...?

I mean whats the worst thing that happens if they know us? a banning for belligerency? Being turned into a bunch of jerk NPCS at the tavern complaining about how badly the people in charge of the adventuring guild arent living up to the legacy of the previous leaders? get put into a sidequest where the player has to go kill some trolls named after us?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sir Dent
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Something I am terrified about is that IF they actually read our comments, are there users they know by name because of how many times or what they've commented...?

I mean whats the worst thing that happens if they know us? a banning for belligerency? Being turned into a bunch of jerk NPCS at the tavern complaining about how badly the people in charge of the adventuring guild arent living up to the legacy of the previous leaders? get put into a sidequest where the player has to go kill some trolls named after us?

Yeah, but as a general rule you want to be careful about rewarding that sort of behavior. It can potentially result in one-upmanship and a lack of respect for boundaries in an attempt to get noticed.

Blackheifer
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

Yeah, but as a general rule you want to be careful about rewarding that sort of behavior. It can potentially result in one-upmanship and a lack of respect for boundaries in an attempt to get noticed.

True, was more of a tongue in cheek comment I wouldnt mind being put in as an NPC, though Im not usually too trolly, maybe a slight bit sarcastic on rare occasion, though if somehow a troll named Sir Dent was in the game i would be curious as to how he got knighted rather than what I did to get a troll named after me.

addict
addict
But in all seriousness I don't think you can define most video games graphics as being intentionally one or the other - I mean...I think anyway.

I very much disagree, there's A LOT of stylisation in games in general. An example off the top of my head would be Zelda games. I don't recall if many of them were graphically impressive in their time, but most of the 3D ones either didn't age well or looked old already at release... from a technical point of view anyway. Because many are very stylised and beautiful in the "artistic" sense; art direction does the heavy lifting here and makes up for a game being lacking in "modern graphics". BotW hardly has "cutting-edge graphics", but it can look amazing.

I mean it mostly in a very general sense, as in disagreeing with "graphics in game not intentional", but very specific stylisation (art direction based on a specific artist or style) isn't that rare either. Or perhaps you meant something else entirely.

But its also not a result of old technology, outdated graphics. I think in the case of Bioware and BG1 it was mostly about budget.

BG1 for sure. You can see the huge leap in graphics between BG1 and BG2, with just two years between them and the same engine. Maybe it's not as apparent nowadays (albeit it was to me and I played BG1 last year for the first time), but the difference is substantial and indeed seems to be the result of bigger budget after BG1's success.

I have no objections here (especially comparatively to their time) but that has nothing to do with the style used.

Sure, was just referring to the "poor image quality". wink Although I guess you meant what you mentioned in the rest of your post, which I have to agree with.

Incidentally, since we are on topic, if you go back to look at a lot of the prerendered backdrops in BG 1 and 2 as they were originally worked on, you'll realize that they were often a tadbit less charming/artistically pleasing that the low res let us imagine them to be.
We tend to remember them as "very painterly" while in reality a lot of details (buildings etc) were touched-up and not particularly detailed 3D studio renders. Not to mention amusing little details like the streets made by scanning pictures of coffee grains and relying on the low resolution to hide the fact.

Yeah, I noticed some of the 3D renders, though they were mostly rather nicely touched-up. Enough to not look out of place. I have more of a problem with creature sprites that were based on 3D renders, those don't look as good. I didn't know that about the coffee streets, haha.

with the two Icewind Dales and their weirdly mismatched sprites (you could occasionally see creatures realized in one style while some other were completely different), often recycled assets from some of their past titles.

I must shamefully admit I didn't notice mismatched sprites, and I'm playing IWD2 now... I'll pay more attention now, haha. (There's LOTS of recycling though.)

Hmpf! I will have you know that "Uncle Lester" would be a great name for a certain type of NPC, more than that, very much appropriate to the series...

(They'd need to make some kind of backstory of how he ended all the way up in BG though.)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

Hmpf! I will have you know that "Uncle Lester" would be a great name for a certain type of NPC, more than that, very much appropriate to the series...

(They'd need to make some kind of backstory of how he ended all the way up in BG though.)

1 ) I swear to god the troll thing would be hillarious xD

2) I was convinced your nickname came after THIS uncle lester. Not the other one. Timestamp 2 minutes onward.

Last edited by virion; 07/07/21 11:15 PM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
But in all seriousness I don't think you can define most video games graphics as being intentionally one or the other - I mean...I think anyway.

I very much disagree, there's A LOT of stylisation in games in general. An example off the top of my head would be Zelda games. I don't recall if many of them were graphically impressive in their time, but most of the 3D ones either didn't age well or looked old already at release... from a technical point of view anyway. Because many are very stylised and beautiful in the "artistic" sense; art direction does the heavy lifting here and makes up for a game being lacking in "modern graphics". BotW hardly has "cutting-edge graphics", but it can look amazing.

I mean it mostly in a very general sense, as in disagreeing with "graphics in game not intentional", but very specific stylisation (art direction based on a specific artist or style) isn't that rare either. Or perhaps you meant something else entirely.

I mean did the Art Director intentionally set out to create an Impressionist style or a realist style, or do you mean of all the possible styles that Art Directors aim for one and hope the budget covers it?

Probably not Abstract that I can think of, but Modern definitely, also Contemporary and Surrealism.

I haven't seen Cubism that I recall.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh this discussion is fun! Art and art history/styles being one of my favourite topics.

I would assume the Art Directors decide the overall style of the game that they're aiming for, and the storyboard/concept artists take it from there, then through to the final 3D artists and renders.

BG3 art style is incredible and continues to amaze me. Slightly stylized, of course, but strikes me as very realistic when it comes to faces and overall character designs. The artists have done an incredible job on this game.

The older games would have been stylized by necessity.

You will also find particular colour schemes favoured in some games, and indeed some movies. For a period of time a few years ago, lot of movies came out with everything tinted yellow-orange/teal-blue (complementary contrast colours). This article mentions this used in games as well:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrangeBlueContrast

Last edited by Alexandrite; 08/07/21 12:10 AM.
veteran
veteran
Yay for patch day! I am ready for a new pet and to see what else is added in Patch 5! claphands

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have my alarm set for 4am QLD Australian time to see the Larian LARPG shenanigans, and hopefully check out the patch before work smile
YAY PATCH DAY

veteran
veteran
What time is the twitch gonna happen today.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
What time is the twitch gonna happen today.
11 am PT

Last edited by Icelyn; 08/07/21 12:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
I bottled up a fair amount of vicarious embarrassment and I think I'm going to use it all.
I just hope the LARPing is not going to fill the overwhelming majority of the stream's duration and we'll get some ACTUAL focus on the game's content.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
N
N
+1 hype

as a baldur's gate fan i genuinely hope that this goes well, but i suppose 'well' is relative

veteran
veteran
I wonder ...
And i bet you all did too already. laugh

If their characters are suppose to hint for us future companions ...
Astarion > Stijn
Shadowheart > Charlotte
Wyll > Ine
Gale > Kelly (note, Necromancer Gale semi-confrimmed :D)
Karlach > David
Halsin(???) > Nick
Minsc > Farhang

But i dont see here anyone who would fit role of Lae'zel ... so this theory is probably false.

On topic ...
I would not mind if that LARP would be whole show, and we get patchnotes only in written form ...
After all, that is what you wanted, isnt it? laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/07/21 01:37 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>
I hope they spend more time on patch notes. Instead of the rapid fire of PFH2, it'd be great if they took some more time to explain the reasons behind various changes. Not for all the changes, obviously, but for the more important ones. 30-40 minutes is not an unreasonable amount of time to dedicate to patch notes, especially if it includes discussion by multiple (importantly, not just Swen and the patch-note-reader) of the developers/designers and short gameplay videos to go along with it.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 10:37 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
veteran
Ok, so...

Until now If I have understood well :

- New UI for active rolls (dialogs, disarm and so on). Possibility to cast spells.
- Inspiration point if you play according the chosen background
- Possibility to disarm ennemies, so they'll take weapons they find, throw them and so on...
- Eating during long rest. Full supply = full spellslots and HP, not full supply = not all supply and spellslot.
- Camp will match the location. If you sleep in the underdark, you're not gonna TP to your camp. If you camp in a crypt, you're gonna camp in the crypt. for shortrest only ? not sure

It's going to take a while.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 08/07/21 06:48 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
New Roll UI is the highlight so far...

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
New rest system!

Obviously will need to play it to see how it works, but I'm glad they are trying out new implementations to address feedback.

Changing camp settings is also great.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Topgoon
New rest system!

Obviously will need to play it to see how it works, but I'm glad they are trying out new implementations to address feedback.

Changing camp settings is also great.

Is that only for shortrest ? Not sure I understood well.
Long rest at camp with food supply + short rest everywhere with a background depending your location ?

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard