Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
GrinningRaven #767666 30/03/21 05:45 PM
G
addict
addict
G
I like a button on the UI that lets you select which ammunition you are using - it shows what you have in your quiver with little radio buttons to show which type is active. It makes sense to have a quiver on the character model, but I'm not going to be too upset if that doesn't happen. I can imagine it being there and that's fine for me.

That said, this draws me back to the "if everything is special, nothing is special thing". I tend to be very against most of the consumables that Larian has created - strongly dislike the abundance of elemental arrows (among other things) that are available from the get-go. I would love for them to be gone.

From a PnP perspective, I find it's very rare to see +1 weapons at all before level 5 or so. I'm all for adding +X ammunition and having them be selectable from the quiver instead of normal arrows, but you ideally wouldn't see them within the scope of the EA. This is fine. I like spending the first few levels getting to know my characters skills without all sorts of magical enhancements. Then as you notice the enemies starting to ramp up, a few magical items start showing up to give you that little bit of edge that you need; this makes them feel really special and you have to pick your moments when to use them (with consumables, like arrows and bolts, at least). If you just have magical arrows right away without feeling a little bit of a desperate need for them, it devalues them - makes them seem less cool.

So, I'd love to see all of the existing fancy arrows removed from the game entirely. Have the players find a few walloping arrows/bolts somewhere in the scope of the EA. Maybe there's a vendor that has a few to sell or you find a cache of them hidden somewhere. They're rare, and they might not work (you might miss and there's a save involved), but if you can land that perfect shot at just the right moment against an enemy that you absolutely need to knock down, it's going to feel incredible! Then start introducing +1 ammo (still rare) in the second part of act 1.

This shifts the focus from "check out all of this powerful ammo I just got" to "check out these amazing things that my character can do", and the fancy ammo is there for you when you need a bit of an edge. If you want you skillset to be about being an elemental archer, include that as a subclass in the game (it already exists in 5e).

GrinningRaven #779886 10/07/21 06:20 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A
I will go in the direction of my comrades.
Please Larian Studio, however you use arrows, at least visually add a quiver on the character when he is wielding a bow.
On the back, lower back or hip, but the archer absolutely needs a quiver otherwise it doesn't make sense.

GrinningRaven #779888 10/07/21 06:31 AM
veteran
veteran
Just as it dont quite make sence that Fighter is shoving shield up to his ass ... when you sheat weapons. -_-

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GrinningRaven #779890 10/07/21 06:58 AM
old hand
old hand
Honestly, having both weapon sets visible on a character would be very nice. And a quiver if one has a bow. Visually it'd make it feel like we are wielding actual weapons. I could see an argument that if one is using Pact of the Blade though or a similar ability then there shouldn't be a sheathed weapon but that should be something distinctive for that.

GrinningRaven #779898 10/07/21 08:54 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I shoot bows iRL too (target archery, and SCA combat archery)

The lack of quiver in BG3 did bother me but only a little, and only at the beginning of the game. It's not a big deal, though it would be NICE to see characters with bows have quivers visible on the character model, I quickly got immersed in everything else in the game and honestly forgot about the lack of quiver thing. Most games don't account for quivers so I'm used to it. BTW side or hip quivers (going across the lower back) are more practical in real life, than the back quivers that we see in games/movies all the time. Taking arrows out over your shoulder is awkward smile

However, I would HATE to have arrow management become another resource management thing in game (and for the record I approve of food/supplies for long rests in BG3!)
If you've ever played a game of combat archery, you know the pain of wandering around collecting lost arrows (while swearing under your breath at the heavy fighters who stepped all over your arrows on the field!) and having to sit a battle or two out checking arrows while the heavy fighters continue to have their fun. Arrow management in real life combat scenarios is a necessary evil, but it IS NOT FUN and I wouldn't want it in BG3.

One thing that DID bother me (only slightly!) is the gigantic nocking points on the in-game bowstrings. They look like they're the size of hazelnuts. Honestly, nocking points do not need to be that big smile

Last edited by Alexandrite; 10/07/21 09:02 AM.
GrinningRaven #779899 10/07/21 09:04 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm not particularly invested in getting "ammo counting" back into the game (meaning I wouldn't mind if it was added but I genuinely don't feel like its absence is particularly relevant) but count a big +1 from my part on the appeal to at least get quivers as an aesthetic detail.

Also, fucking weapon sheaths/scabbards, as we are on it. Pretty please?

And as we are on the topic of bows, I absolutely hate these "floppy" shooting arcs. What are we even shooting with these bows and crossbows? Rubber darts?

Last edited by Tuco; 10/07/21 09:06 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #779901 10/07/21 09:28 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
...at least get quivers as an aesthetic detail. Also, fucking weapon sheaths/scabbards, as we are on it. Pretty please?

Yes those would be good to have, but I imagine both quivers and weapon sheaths would require a fair bit of animation (how they move with the character during a walk cycle, etc). I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to.
And while we're at it we could also ask for bow quivers...
But again, it is a game, many games ignore the existence of quivers/sheaths, and in the grand scheme of things this is not a game breaking detail. smile

Originally Posted by Tuco
And as we are on the topic of bows, I absolutely hate these "floppy" shooting arcs. What are we even shooting with these bows and crossbows? Rubber darts?

LOL, yes. Annoying as an archer, but I understand it from a visual/design point of view. I'd imagine it's a question of visually showing people what is happening, and for some reason, the floppy shooting arc is what people think arrows do.

Alexandrite #779902 10/07/21 09:49 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Yes those would be good to have, but I imagine both quivers and weapon sheaths would require a fair bit of animation (how they move with the character during a walk cycle, etc). I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to.
I said it when the early access was just starting and I'll say it again: as a compromise I would be fine even with doing it "the cheap way" with weapons that are just "teleported" out of the sheath/scabbard in the hands of the character.
It's not like now it's particularly more elaborate to begin with and it still beats having "naked" weapons floating glued to the back of the characters, which by the way is particularly ridiculous for short weapons like daggers and short swords and it's so tragically "early 2000" in videogames standards.

LOL, yes. Annoying as an archer, but I understand it from a visual/design point of view.

I'm not sure I do, frankly. It's not like it looks better. It makes playing an an archer/crossbowman feel... lousy, for the lack of a better term. It lacks proper "kick".
I genuinely think that "mechanics" aside, it would look better to have projectiles moving in a (mostly) straight line and a bit faster, too.
Incidentally it would also (once again) match the rulebook better, since projectiles' lines of sight in D&D are in fact traced/calculated with straight lines from marksman to target (especially given the short distances involved here).

Last edited by Tuco; 10/07/21 09:52 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
GrinningRaven #850854 27/05/23 04:35 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
We need quivers! We need scabbards, especially for all the daggers(maybe in scout carry position?) Come on, Larian. You guys can do it! Don't be lazy.

GrinningRaven #850855 27/05/23 04:57 PM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Locking old thread to avoid multiple concurrent discussions on the same topic. Please continue this discussion at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=850786 if required.

Please PM me if you think there is good reason to reopen this thread instead.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard