Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
veteran
veteran
Sorry. Looked fine on my PC

Adding one: Random Encounters for Solasta. They really do them well. Left location in Badlands. Level 7. Attacked by 2 Remorhaz Offspring. Holy crap! Good fight. Really on the edge of my seat. My Barbarian was taken down. My paladin was down to 20 HP. Sorcerer was at 30. Druid full health.

However, my druid was fighting hard to keep the barbarian from dying, and the paladin was healing hard also. I didn't think we were going to make it for a minute. Most exciting fight yet. Very well done, Solasta. Need some of that in BG3. Sudden, spontaneous, random enemies I've never fought before.

Last edited by GM4Him; 18/03/22 08:32 PM.
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Well sorry let me explain. The area or monsters look generally ok in Solasta. The characters they use same face model for both women and men. In addition unlike some other games you can not use 2D portraits for face (and not possible to create your own faces portraits). Their face look very ugly indeed.

Todays best AI Robots can look better in face then the dolls in Solasta. I could say n old games that has 2D portraits in face that look better then Solasta. In Solasta it is impossible it generates portrait face from 3D and unlike in BG3 the Solasta characters face looks like ugly dolls.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 19/03/22 02:40 AM.
veteran
veteran
Here's the thing that really boggles my mind. BG3 has Wizards of the Coast backing and rights, but Solasta has implemented D&D rules better and has made a more true to D&D game.

On the one hand, I think it is pretty cool that they have given Larian freedom to create the game however they need to. I would hate to create a game and have somebody watching over my shoulder constantly picking apart everything that I'm doing. On the other hand, it's frustrating because of just how much it doesn't feel like D&D or a sequel to the BG series.

I'm still holding out hope for the difficulty settings. I really really hope they give us the difficulty settings we really need in this game.

Last edited by GM4Him; 18/03/22 11:42 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GM4Him
- Banter. BG3 is getting better at this, but Solasta is still better. I like that characters in Solasta are interacting with one another all the time and even poking fun - playfully - at one another. You miss an enemy and your ally says, "You suck!" or "Do better next time." Or, if you chose a nicer personality, they'll say, "You'll get 'em next time." During dialogue sequences, they are playfully bantering back and forth.
If only that banter was actually well-written... Heck, the "You suck!" periodically shouted around by my gruff dwarven warrior made me cringe about every single time. It's one step away from them flinging around "cool" and "dude" in what's supposed to be a fantasy setting.

The interactions' main problem is how they basically have no player input whatsoever. In that, Solasta is probably one of the worst out of the D&D adaptations out there, because your "role-playing" pretty much ends as you finish character creation, and all you have afterwards is praying that the incomprehensible mess that is their dialogue scripting doesn't make your characters act all OoC. The fact that there's a feat which gives you expertise on all the dialogue skills while the game picks separate three characters for persuasion, intimidation, and deception whenever they pop up is a very dumb design oversight, too.

veteran
veteran
Just a FYI, Solasta is dropping a new adventure on April 14th.

old hand
old hand
The new adventure's been pretty interesting so far, as someone doing a blind multiplayer run of it. The encounters are definitely a significant step up in difficulty compared to the base adventure (to the point where we were using a lot more limited resources such as poisoned arrows compared to the base campaign). There was one fight with some larger enemies that my DM friend thought was way overtuned, until we started the fight at a different angle and realized we were supposed to use chokepoints that the enemies couldn't get through due to their size not allowing them to fit through. The fights seem much more varied too (like the base campaign was basically 90% undead, Soraks, or spiders, while about 5 hours into the new campaign, there really wasn't anything that seemed overused yet).

I finally got off my ass and actually finished the base adventure after not really progressing past the end of early access ever since the game's release. I've noticed how certain cutscenes basically got reworked from early access. Like the entire 'picking up the crown' scene, of which everything that happens there now makes a lot more sense than what happened before. Still a lot of jank, but still a fun experience.

I never actually finished the last act of WotR since it got increasingly buggy. I think I won't come back to it until all of the DLC is out and everything's ironed out.

On a side note, I've been playing a very non-traditional jRPG lately called Crystal Project. Might be the only turn-based jRPG I've played recently with some actual strategic depth behind its combat system that doesn't revolve around hiding information from you or layers of RNG (or both). The game utilizes an actual threat system, all status effects are universally useful against enemies and party members, and you can see what enemies will do on their next turn so your strategies tend to shift towards proactive countering/mitigation, rather than the standard tank and spank normally seen in most jRPGs. But of course one of the biggest criticisms about the game is its late game difficulty, but it's hard to tell if the late game enemies are actually overtuned or the average jRPG fan is not used to actually having to utilize all their buffs and debuffs.

The plot barely exists and is mostly in the background though, since the game has a more open ended exploration focus instead, to the point where you can do some insane sequence breaks instead of following the intended critical path. Go figure that I always end up gravitating towards these types of games.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 01/05/22 10:06 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
so.. recently i just started solasta. very surprise that i'm loving every bit of it!. really loving grid based as it seems to be more tactical? now if only larian can make bg3 grid based? loving the cover, the reactions the most in solasta.

i must say the visuals and graphics are no where near bg3 quality. but i'd been playing it for simply learning dnd5e. seems that there are things i love about dnd5e and there are things that i don't like it. now i wished if pathfinder ruleset ? dnd3.5e could mix in nicely with dnd5e .. that would be really nice.

really hope larian do bg3 justice and implement solasta like reactions in bg3!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven
really loving grid based as it seems to be more tactical? now if only larian can make bg3 grid based? loving the cover, the reactions the most in solasta.
If I would like BG3 to adopt one thing from Solasta it would be reactions.

Grid is a very clear system, but I don't think BG3 needs it. What it needs is clarity of what can or will happen when you make a move. BG3 got much better since release, but I still find disengagement to be a bit wonky.

I didn't play too much of new Solasta campaign, but from what I have seen it is a straight up improvement compared to the base campaign.
https://imgur.com/hAgnK2W

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Wormerine
really loving grid based as it seems to be more tactical? now if only larian can make bg3 grid based? loving the cover, the reactions the most in solasta.
If I would like BG3 to adopt one thing from Solasta it would be reactions.

Grid is a very clear system, but I don't think BG3 needs it. What it needs is clarity of what can or will happen when you make a move. BG3 got much better since release, but I still find disengagement to be a bit wonky.

I didn't play too much of new Solasta campaign, but from what I have seen it is a straight up improvement compared to the base campaign.
https://imgur.com/hAgnK2W

I'm not sure if Larian's DOS engine able to translate it to grid-based. Perhaps Larian technical team can shed more light into that. Personally, I find grid-based more tactical and kinda love it. I understand that BG3 map is huge and it doesn't make sense for grid-based. It's fine with me. However, i really really want Solasta reaction system in BG3. It seems to me reaction, concentration, light and dark vision is kinda big deal in dnd5e. Correct me if i'm wrong.

However, is there a thread to discuss the classes? Is it me or i find ranger is better than rogue in terms of damage? Not sure if this is permitted, if Rogue they allow to add Sneak Attack damage to off-hand then i would say i would be on par with Ranger due to the number of attacks.

veteran
veteran
It seems to me reaction, concentration, light and dark vision is kinda big deal in dnd5e. Correct me if i'm wrong.
I know little of 5e outside what I played in BG3 and Solasta. Playing S. reactions seemed to me like a core part of action economy and class identity - just as useful actions as Full and bonus action. BG3 relegates it to mostly out of player control bonus thing, which is a shame. I do find spells relying on concentraion really difficult to utilize in BG3, as Larian added a lot of homebrew items that create unavoidable damage - combine that with very very generous throw distance, and I can't keep a spell up for even a full turn, unless I really commit to it, like retreating and hiding the caster - not terribly exciting as we get only 4 character to play with. Stay in sight and enemies are bound to chuck granades with guaranteed damage across the whole battlefield.

D
addict
addict
D
However, is there a thread to discuss the classes? Is it me or i find ranger is better than rogue in terms of damage? Not sure if this is permitted, if Rogue they allow to add Sneak Attack damage to off-hand then i would say i would be on par with Ranger due to the number of attacks.

If you are talking about Solasta rogues then they technically can sneak attack on off hand attacks. However, they can only sneak attack once per turn, so if they land a sneak attack with their mainhand then they cannot also do it on off hand. The off hand does give them a better chance of at least landing it once though.

veteran
veteran

If you're referring to BG3, or just in general, by the normal rule-set, Rogues are able to apply their sneak attack once per turn, Whenever they meet the conditions - whether that's with the attack action, a bonus action off-hand attack - and, importantly, on opportunity attack reactions as well, which usually are on a different turn (i.e. not the rogue's turn), and thus available for sneak attack even when the rouge used sneak attack on their own turn. None of this works in BG3 currently, and it's a big source of aggravation - pointing to the fact that that all works correctly in Solasta doesn't really make folks feel better, unfortunately.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by dwig

If you are talking about Solasta rogues then they technically can sneak attack on off hand attacks. However, they can only sneak attack once per turn, so if they land a sneak attack with their mainhand then they cannot also do it on off hand. The off hand does give them a better chance of at least landing it once though.

yes i do know you can sneak attack via the off-hand. what i was highlighting the damage compared to ranger. as rogue can only SA once per turn while ranger can have 3 attacks at level 5 and Hunter's Mark scale with per attack. rogue on the other hand being able to hide with bonus action is really nice early game.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Niara

If you're referring to BG3, or just in general, by the normal rule-set, Rogues are able to apply their sneak attack once per turn, Whenever they meet the conditions - whether that's with the attack action, a bonus action off-hand attack - and, importantly, on opportunity attack reactions as well, which usually are on a different turn (i.e. not the rogue's turn), and thus available for sneak attack even when the rouge used sneak attack on their own turn. None of this works in BG3 currently, and it's a big source of aggravation - pointing to the fact that that all works correctly in Solasta doesn't really make folks feel better, unfortunately.

i'm referring to rogue sneak attack damage which only once per turn. the damage compare to ranger which i think is much better. currently playing solasta in authentic mode (first playthrough). absolutely loving it. only gripe is that.. the graphics is really subpar. i agree but i don't really care seems its more fun playing it than baldur's gate 3 to me. if there's going to be a Solasta 2 kickstarter.. i be sure i'll go for a physical Collector's Edition. here is really hoping larian spend time in improving the gameplay rather than.. you know.. cinematics.

if someone can give more budget to say between Larian and Tactical Adventures.. i'll choose Tactical Adventures.

Last edited by Archaven; 03/05/22 05:03 AM.
veteran
veteran
Well, it's a bit of an aside now, but: bear in mind for that, that the rogue's sneak attack continues to grow, while the ranger does not gain any further attacks. At level 5, a ranger might be rolling functionally 6 dice and adding ability mod three times, while the rouge in the same position is only rolling five dice and adding ability mod twice... but the ranger needs three hit checks for that while the rogue only needs two. Move on to level seven, only two later, and the ranger is still at the same damage ratio, while the rogue has caught up. Two more levels after that, and the rogue is rolling more dice and needing fewer hit checks for it than the ranger in the same position... and the gap only widens after that. If you consider opportunity attacks alongside that, and the fact that the rogue is getting to roll their SA outside their turn as well, then they're already out-damaging the ranger in the same position, even at level 5, for the same presumed opportunities and attack time.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Niara
Well, it's a bit of an aside now, but: bear in mind for that, that the rogue's sneak attack continues to grow, while the ranger does not gain any further attacks. At level 5, a ranger might be rolling functionally 6 dice and adding ability mod three times, while the rouge in the same position is only rolling five dice and adding ability mod twice... but the ranger needs three hit checks for that while the rogue only needs two. Move on to level seven, only two later, and the ranger is still at the same damage ratio, while the rogue has caught up. Two more levels after that, and the rogue is rolling more dice and needing fewer hit checks for it than the ranger in the same position... and the gap only widens after that. If you consider opportunity attacks alongside that, and the fact that the rogue is getting to roll their SA outside their turn as well, then they're already out-damaging the ranger in the same position, even at level 5, for the same presumed opportunities and attack time.

Interesting.. didn't think that fewer attacks is better? you are right though as more attacks means more rolls and some may fail. i have restarted my party for the 3rd time now.. but i'm going with dual-wield ranger, 2 handed paladin, battle cleric and shock mage. absolutely loving it so far. previously i have ranger replaced with rogue though. i must admit i love that bonus action for stealth. but it seems ranger isn't bad either. it has pass without trace, favored enemy, multi-attack defense, and twin blade. just got to level 5 and i must say having alot more fun now.

old hand
old hand
It's definitely good practice for what to expect in BG3, especially if Larian finally manages to get reactions working.

Spirit Guardians was probably my most used spell in Solasta. Dear lord, the offensive and defensive utility of it is sublime. Shadowheart will turn into a wrecking ball once she has the ability to hit level 5 and gains access to that spell.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
It's definitely good practice for what to expect in BG3, especially if Larian finally manages to get reactions working.

Spirit Guardians was probably my most used spell in Solasta. Dear lord, the offensive and defensive utility of it is sublime. Shadowheart will turn into a wrecking ball once she has the ability to hit level 5 and gains access to that spell.

i love spiritual guardians too. only cast it when boss fights or difficult encounter. it's only good for the sustain radiant damage. it mentioned speed is half. speed is half is not slow correct me if im wrong?. it only slow the movement speed. i do love the sustain damage though. on the other hand i find my wizard using slow rather than said haste. aoe slow is nice? limit to 1 action, -2 penalty to AC and DEX saves and cant use reactions.

i'm also wondering IF solasta feats will be available for bg3? love the follow up attack. i find myself picking up feats rather than ASI as suggested by many guides though. solasta is really nice since they gave us factions that sells stuffs can increase those stats so makes more sense to pick feats that has abilities.

veteran
veteran
i love spiritual guardians too. only cast it when boss fights or difficult encounter. it's only good for the sustain radiant damage. it mentioned speed is half. speed is half is not slow correct me if im wrong?. it only slow the movement speed. i do love the sustain damage though. on the other hand i find my wizard using slow rather than said haste. aoe slow is nice? limit to 1 action, -2 penalty to AC and DEX saves and cant use reactions.

i'm also wondering IF solasta feats will be available for bg3? love the follow up attack. i find myself picking up feats rather than ASI as suggested by many guides though. solasta is really nice since they gave us factions that sells stuffs can increase those stats so makes more sense to pick feats that has abilities.
That is correct; Spirit Guardians only causes halved movement speed. It doesn't have the full effects of the spell "Slow."

Solasta feats almost certainly will not be available for BG3. Solasta wasn't able to get the full 5e license, which means they didn't have access to any D&D 5e feats besides "grappler." So Tactical Adventures had to create their own homebrew feats.

Larian, on the other hand, does have full access to the 5e license. So they'll almost certainly use mainly 5e-published feats, with some (probably small) number of homebrewed - but still different than Solasta's - feats.

old hand
old hand
I have here a demonstration of one of the harder fights in the new Solasta campaign. Harder as in, doing this cleanly is extremely difficult because the boss (the Archmage) is capable of casting level 5 spells while your party is probably only casting level 3 spells at the time you'd normally run into them. The fighter and archer you're escorting are strong enough that they might be capable of dealing with the encounter by themselves otherwise.

I'm mostly just putting this here as a possible preview of what we could probably expect from higher level spells in BG3.

1) Lightning Bolt has massively long range, almost comically so (it's a 100-foot line). You could probably hit something across the entire screen with it.
2) Counterspell only works at a range of 60 feet. It's why I risked taking an opportunity attack on my Wizard to get close enough to counter whatever was coming next.
3) The spell I countered, Cone of Cold, is a 5th level spell that does 8d8 cold damage with a con save. If I let it go off, it would have likely crippled my party. It has a 60 feet cone range, which is pretty much half the screen. By comparison, Fireball is 8d6 fire damage on a 20 foot radius.
4) Counterspell is a 100% success rate up to level 3 spells. Upcasting it lets you extend that 100% success rate to whatever level spell slot you used, but as my characters were only level 6 at the time, I could only cast it at 3rd level - which meant I had to pass a DC 15 check to counter the 5th level Cone of Cold.

To people unfamiliar with the concept of reactions, you only get 1 reaction per turn, which regenerates at the start of your turn. This means it is possible to do things like having your wizard shoot an arrow to bait an enemy Shield, then counterspelling said shield as your arrow flies towards the enemy (not that this is really a scenario you may see in BG3, but it is somewhat common in Solasta if you run a Greenmage Wizard, which has proficiency with bows and the archery fighting style). In BG3, I'd imagine you can do things like having your melee run up to a wizard and then purposefully leave to bait out an attack of opportunity or attack to bait out a shield, which would free up your caster to use a high level spell without risk of being counterspelled.

There are even higher level spells with even larger range. Assuming we end up going to level 11+ and get 6th level spells implemented, I imagine Freezing Sphere would be one of the first 6th level spells implemented. That has a 60 foot radius. That in Solasta basically translated to almost the entire damn screen. It's worth noting that the spell is specifically worded to say that it has the ability to freeze water too, enough to trap creatures swimming in it (though Larian may homebrew it to trap anyone standing on water surfaces, which I'd consider to be an interesting change and wouldn't really complain about, especially since proper swimming mechanics most likely won't be a thing in BG3 at all for obvious reasons).

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 08/05/22 10:44 AM.
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard