Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
aargh

You are good! laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
The changes they've made are not very minor tweaks, and you most likely have no idea how much programming, animation, acting and art resources went into these tweaks or how long they took, allowing for bugs etc. (Honestly neither do I, but wherever programming is concerned, there's always more work than meets the eye.)
Also, THEY ARE WORKING ON THE REST OF THE GAME AT THE SAME TIME. What we see in EA is a small portion. It's not like they're JUST working on refining Act 1 over and over again for us, they're also doing the rest of the game that we won't see until release.

Gods, so much negativity on these forums.
Easy there. So should I rant about all the positivity on this forum? wink

But all kidding aside, I simply happen to be a very hardcore realist (in all aspects of life), and am trying to inject some of my realism into these discussions is all.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
If you think these formums are negative, try the average steam forum laugh. Those are probably some of the worst flamewars you can walk in on hehe. I'm pretty positive about the upcoming patch really. Just taking Larian's "patch 6 should follow soon after patch 5" quote with a huge grain of salt haha. At anyrate.. I just adopt the when it gets there stance to most EA games smirk.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kimuriel
If you think these formums are negative, try the average steam forum laugh. Those are probably some of the worst flamewars you can walk in on hehe.

Hahahaha yeah, I've seen those, gave up on the Steam forums pretty quickly, between the flamewars and the constant "why isn't this game out yet?".
At least there are intelligent debates to be found here, for the most part. smile
The Reddit BG3 forums are a bit more lighthearted, again for the most part.

veteran
veteran
Steam forums are downright rude. Same here. Try to give a suggestion at all or any feedback and get eaten alive.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Steam forums are downright rude. Same here. Try to give a suggestion at all or any feedback and get eaten alive.

Awww but I've enjoyed our intelligent debates, GM4Him!

Steam forums are basically a steaming pile of... well.

veteran
veteran
I love the steam forums because what you see is what you get. No moderators trying to keep people on topic, no fanart spam (see the subreddit for what i mean), just a bunch of random thoughts from people who are interested in the game. It's great lol. Sure, most of it is nonsense, but that's part of the charm. I can come here for actual discussion (most of the time), but steam is a great snapshot of what people are thinking about currently.

veteran
veteran
I like to think that as much as the criticism is itself pretty harsh here, most of us try hard to keep the atmosphere polite and as low friction as we can while discussing it.

Last edited by Niara; 12/07/21 02:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
That is not true ...
There is many good suggestions wich get huge support from various people ...
And then there are some, that could be compared to ideas for fanfiction of drunk teen ...
And of course, many other somewhere in between. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
I'm not sure "lighthearted" is the word I'd use to describe the subreddit for this game.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
So to go back to the focus of this thread, what do we think of the background goals? While I'm not sure that they were a good idea to include *now* (I'm willing to bed that they had to include them now in order to accomodate something else they wanted to include either in this patch or a subsequent one) I find it really interesting as an idea. I don't think I've ever encountered a system like it and I'm eager to see what they're actually like in-play.

My main point of concern-and it's a minor point at this moment-is the fact that these goals are apparently hidden to us. If the quests are generic or impersonal, then that's no issue. But if they actually tie into our character's past, then I foresee a problem, since I don't really like the idea of us not having information about our character's pasts.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
My main point of concern-and it's a minor point at this moment-is the fact that these goals are apparently hidden to us. If the quests are generic or impersonal, then that's no issue. But if they actually tie into our character's past, then I foresee a problem, since I don't really like the idea of us not having information about our character's pasts.
From the patch video, it seems like these quests are completely generic: "Acquire the Soul Coin," "Recruit the Ogres," "Steal the toe ring," etc. They'll add flavor to the game, but they aren't like background quests present in other games. They're closer to collectibles or achievements than quests with meaning.

veteran
veteran
It's a videogame. Everything in it has to be pre-placed in advance. It's never going to be able to replicate the nuances of a player-created background in a human-DM-controlled world. We're also running custom characters who don't have any written backgrounds at all. It's never going to know what things are specifically part of your imagined background goals and which are against it. If you're expecting anything approaching that with these generic background goals, then consider your hopes thoroughly and permanently dashed.

As far as what I can tell, the real benefit from those background interactions are Inspiration points for free re-rolls, and the cap of 4 before they get converted to XP encourages you to spend them regularly, and that's a great idea to help smooth occasionally bad/unlucky rolls. I think that's a good enough purpose.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
It's a videogame. Everything in it has to be pre-placed in advance. It's never going to be able to replicate the nuances of a player-created background in a human-DM-controlled world. We're also running custom characters who don't have any written backgrounds at all. It's never going to know what things are specifically part of your imagined background goals and which are against it. If you're expecting anything approaching that with these generic background goals, then consider your hopes thoroughly and permanently dashed.

As far as what I can tell, the real benefit from those background interactions are Inspiration points for free re-rolls, and the cap of 4 before they get converted to XP encourages you to spend them regularly, and that's a great idea to help smooth occasionally bad/unlucky rolls. I think that's a good enough purpose.

I agree with you there. I don't expect that and like I said, I'm more in favor of them being generic. And as a concept I think it's a really cool one.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
You can put your concerns on this matter aside. Those quests are already confirmed to be generic and briefly demonstareted in the video. So they are nothing like "And in contuniation to your story...", but they are like "You know what a Folks Hero would do in this situation? So... do it!"

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard