Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Mörtötö
Hm i pretty much stopped playing Kingmaker because of that over complicated camping mechanism.
So hopefully this system will be more forgiving and easier to manage.
What's "complicated" about it from an user standpoint?
"Find a spot large/plain enough to place a temporary camp, be sure to have some supplies in inventory". Done. Have a nice rest.
Not exactly rocket science, uh?

There's some more optional stuff if someone REALLY wants to "fine tune" it (who's standing as a guard, who's cooking, etc) but for the most part the default "auto-setup" does the job just fine and it doesn't need any additional player input.

Last edited by Tuco; 13/07/21 01:59 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Personally, I like the idea that they are putting into place, firstly because it makes the game more in line with the 5th edition design, resting requires you have enough food, like rations, to have the effects of a rest, and in 5th edition not having enough food to rest comes with penalties though. Still, I don't know if they plan to implement an exhaustion system in BG3. Other games like Pathfinder Kingmaker already used the idea of requiring food to rest, but characters could hunt for food in that game if they didn't have enough. I'm not sure if they will expand more on the way long rests work in future patches, but currently, I'm pretty happy with the announced changes and look forward to trying them out.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Mörtötö
Hm i pretty much stopped playing Kingmaker because of that over complicated camping mechanism.
So hopefully this system will be more forgiving and easier to manage.
"Find a spot large/plain enough to place a temporary camp, be sure to have some supplies in inventory". Done. Have a nice rest.

There's some more optional stuff if someone REALLY wants to "fine tune" it (who's standing as a guard, who's cooking, etc) but for the most part the default "auto-setup" does the job just fine and it doesn't need any additional player input.

You wouldn't think it's rocket science... but then again..... humanity. O_o

old hand
old hand
Well it's definitely complicated compared to "hitting R in a rest-able area - done". I like the way P:K handles it - about the right amount of complicatedness.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
I like the way P:K handles it - about the right amount of complicatedness.
I second that. You have a cook, a person or two on watch, someone gathering supplies/hunting, someone using whatever talents they have to help out wherever they can... The chance for random encounters and such... Chances for success and failure all the way around... Just about exactly the right amount of complication.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The_BlauerDragon
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
I like the way P:K handles it - about the right amount of complicatedness.
I second that. You have a cook, a person or two on watch, someone gathering supplies/hunting, someone using whatever talents they have to help out wherever they can... The chance for random encounters and such... Chances for success and failure all the way around... Just about exactly the right amount of complication.
Basically the only camping decision I make each rest (in other words, the only work I have to do besides hitting the 'R' button) is to choose the meal. Which is optional, and defaults to the last meal you cooked if left unchanged.

This decision involves tactical thinking which is nice. Do I expect to make a lot of skill checks today? Or go against enemies that will cause Fort STs? Or do I just want all my party members to go fast?

addict
addict
maybe in the future it will be possible to send Astarion to hunt? he still leaves at night to eat. x)

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyloth
maybe in the future it will be possible to send Astarion to hunt? he still leaves at night to eat. x)

If you take astarion you only need 30 rations instead of 40 since he literally sucks your blood when you sleep.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by virion

If you take astarion you only need 30 rations instead of 40 since he literally sucks your blood when you sleep.

Good discount! But he still goes hunting animals every night, he could also bring meat...

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by virion

Good discount! But he still goes hunting animals every night, he could also bring meat...

If a vampire drains an animal of blood can you still eat the meat or is it ruined?

It seems unsanitary somehow.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
If a vampire drains an animal of blood can you still eat the meat or is it ruined?

I'm not sure about sanitary part, but it's not ruined for sure. Unless Astarion will bring a boar, It'll become kosher meat that way actually.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zellin
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

I'm not sure about sanitary part, but it's not ruined for sure. Unless Astarion will bring a boar, It'll become kosher meat that way actually.

Meanwhile, Patch 6 : Astarion's Impact on religious communities of XXI century

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
M
stranger
stranger
M

Well you have to collect food or in case of Pathfinder buy Rations so you can survive a excursion into a Dungeon because no Hunting in Dungeons. So food eats a lot of your space and gold.
And then if you have a live outisde of Computer Games you are coming back to an save game went into a dungeon just to find out you have to go back because not enough food and so on and so on.
Or the exploration of a Dungeon takes more time you cant get out for some reasons to get food and so you cant really rest but the enemies are hard so you have basically no chance anymore....

In my opinion, way more frustration than immersion.
But it depends how exactly Larian will implement it. Lets see.

Last edited by Mörtötö; 14/07/21 07:58 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
In actual practicality, I don't think this long rest resource thing will really change things all that much. You can probably still just steal everything you need from merchants. Some people who are really bothered by it should be thankful that they didn't go for the Pathfinder WotR solution, which was to take out rations entirely and replace it with a 'corruption' mechanic that results in stat penalties and an assumed immediate game over for resting too much in non-safe zones without returning to the main hub area for that chapter (and in actual practice, you'd hit the first stat penalty point for resting 3+ times in a single dungeon, which is pretty lenient).

Uh, that WotR solution is great in my book. Actually penalties for cheesing the game and over resting to beat everything. Resting becomes TONS more important. This adds a layer of thought to the game, changes the way you play. You have to be more cautious, care for what spells are used, not use all your potions, be more alert etc etc...One simple RPG <<restriction>> change that which brings out more strategy to the game. Good job Owlcat. Really glad they are not bowing to the <<we want everything easy, automatic and on a gold platter>> crowd.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 14/07/21 10:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Uh, that WotR solution is great in my book. Actually penalties for cheesing the game and over resting to beat everything. Resting becomes TONS more important. This adds a layer of thought to the game, changes the way you play. You have to be more cautious, care for what spells are used, not use all your potions, be more alert etc etc...One simple RPG <<restriction>> change that which brings out more strategy to the game. Good job Owlcat. Really glad they are not bowing to the <<we want everything easy, automatic and on a gold platter>> crowd.
+1
While playing I want to get the feeling that I'm really adventuring through a dangerous area, and thus have to think carefully about whether I want to risk pressing forward without resting. Being able to freely rest with ~negligible penalty makes adventuring less immersive and strategic for me.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist

Yeah, it's actually a fairly good solution, and rather elegant given the setting as well since regular hunting and camping isn't going to be a thing where the game's taking place.

And again it's somewhat lenient, especially given how many spell slots and abilities you'll be getting in that game due to how mythic feats work. You need a party member with high Knowledge Religion checks, because if you don't, you can probably only rest twice before hitting the first stat corruption point as opposed to 3-4 times.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Well, I guess that any worry about having enough food looks silly now in retrospective.
I played a bit with the new patch yesterday and I noticed that I had yet to leave the druid grove (heading to the Blighted village and then goblin camp) and I found myself already carrying enough supplies for TEN full long rests.
Which is like, three times more than what I did during my entire past playthrough.

I don't think anyone is going to starve at any point in this game.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Well, I guess that any worry about having enough food looks silly now in retrospective.
I played a bit with the new patch yesterday and I noticed that I had yet to leave the druid grove (heading to the Blighted village and then goblin camp) and I found myself already carrying enough supplies for TEN full long rests.
Which is like, three times more than what I did during my entire past playthrough.

I don't think anyone is going to starve at any point in this game.
I guess it depends on how reliant you are on Long Rests for Spell Slot recupperation etc... A party of casters is more likely to want a few more Long Rests than a party mostly of fighters, Rangers, etc... I only got as far as the grove yesterday evening in Multiplayer, after following Sven's route through the door and out of the crypt. Picked up Lae'Zel, Gale & Astarion and then went to the Grove. So far, no long Rest required, but then the party composition was 1x Ranger, 1x Rogue, Lae'Zel and Shadowheart.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
There are more supply packs available than there are fights currently so ultimately it doesn't change anything. I think supply packs shouldn't be sold from vendors, they should be rare drops only. I'm surviving only on food at the moment and the pacing has been fine, supply packs should be rare and for emergency use only.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Saberem
There are more supply packs available than there are fights currently so ultimately it doesn't change anything. I think supply packs shouldn't be sold from vendors, they should be rare drops only. I'm surviving only on food at the moment and the pacing has been fine, supply packs should be rare and for emergency use only.

I dont agree, forcing players to search every smallest crate for food is a bad idea.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard