Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Elio8 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I cant wait to create a custom campaign in this; and of course to be able to use the 5E rules in this. But i expect there to be some differences in f.ex the type of spells and abilities to translate into the game:
Is there certain things "not present" or other things hugely changed?

And is there actually talk as topic says; about a GM mode like Divinity in the future? ( i assume it has a map creator then)

and lastly

Please let the character creation be a bit "sandbox"; so we could add weapons/armor from the game and such to add a custom made character in the future to make littarly a character gallery for the tabletop/Pen and paper game.

Last edited by Elio8; 06/07/21 11:51 PM.
D
addict
addict
D
There are quite a few "Larian house rules" in BG3 at the moment, so definitely not vanilla 5e. That being said, there is a patch coming out in a day or two , so probably best to wait to see that before getting too familiar with the differences right now.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Elio8
I cant wait to create a custom campaign in this; and of course to be able to use the 5E rules in this. But i expect there to be some differences in f.ex the type of spells and abilities to translate into the game:
Is there certain things "not present" or other things hugely changed?

And is there actually talk as topic says; about a GM mode like Divinity in the future? ( i assume it has a map creator then)

and lastly

Please let the character creation be a bit "sandbox"; so we could add weapons/armor from the game and such to add a custom made character in the future to make littarly a character gallery for the tabletop/Pen and paper game.

Yeah, they are not committing to a GM mode yet, and if it happens it won't be until AFTER the game is released in 2022.

Believe me I am a huge fan of this game being a Platform for other modules, and regular DM groups that you can run your friends through modules and export your progress to other modules.

It has also been mentioned how cool it would be to use Baldur's Gate as a kind of hub for modules to start at - as in the actual City.

I *think* it will happen, given time, there is a ton of support behind it and there are clear monetary incentives for Larian to build future content and sell it, so we will see.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
In terms of how closely it resembles 5e, the current situation is that it barely does at all. There's so much homebrew that is so very prominent in the game that it overbears everything else, and large swathes of the actual 5e ruleset aren't implemented at all.

Basically; play the game for what it is, not what it claims to be; the less you come to it expecting it to feel like playing D&D, the more likely you are to enjoy it, because it simply does not feel like playing D&D at the moment.

There's been a lot of kick back about this, but thus far Larian have stuck to their guns about their opinion that 5e doesn't make for a good video game, and that their rules are better. It may change, it may not.

P
P
I'm not looking for an interactive GM mode, because if I want to play actual D&D it's better to use a tabletop simulator / map than a CRPG engine. But I do hope that there is a design-and-share-your-own-adventure functionality a la the original NWN. That was amazing and made the game have 100× the value it would have with only the official content.

veteran
veteran
NWN's mod community really kept that game around forever. And unlike BG 1/2 it wasn't mostly tweaks, unfinished content and companions but really extensive adventure modules.

Originally Posted by Niara
In terms of how closely it resembles 5e, the current situation is that it barely does at all. There's so much homebrew that is so very prominent in the game that it overbears everything else, and large swathes of the actual 5e ruleset aren't implemented at all.

Well, it's still much closer to actual DnD than BG1,2 or NWN1,2, considering that you have access to social spells like Disguise Self, Detect Thoughts or Speak with Dead that actually do something. Homebrew rules are used mostly for combat.

Originally Posted by Niara
There's been a lot of kick back about this, but thus far Larian have stuck to their guns about their opinion that 5e doesn't make for a good video game, and that their rules are better. It may change, it may not.

It is changing a little with every patch. Larian got rid of cantrips creating surfaces, now they made Disengage a proper action, some people also noticed that backstab homebrew is gone. https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...e_theyve_removed_backstab_autoadvantage/

veteran
veteran
I know ^.^ I was pleased to see that - and I want to voice my positivity for the changes as well. Now that they've tried this, I want to take the time where possible to reinforce to them that it was a good call and the right thing to do.

veteran
veteran
The lore is the same as the Sword Coast setting of D&D5e, they have people of WoTC working with them. Mechanically there are several modifications.

The races and backgrounds included are mostly the same origin and story and looks. Drow and half-elf have different subraces with different abilities. Background roleplay features are not included, but it is announced that we will have different missions based in your background. Some skills are different. ex) Thieves tools are now included in the "sleight of hand" skill. Different languages are not included in the game.

Classes are the same as the PHB, with some adaptations to the videogame. i.e rogues bonus action does not include disengage because it´s now a jump/disengage action that all characters have. Thief subclass now allow you to make an extra offhand attack. Most spells are the same. Ritual casting is not included ingame, the same as some reactions.

The combat and exploration mechanics are modified for the larian engine and a videogame, so there are differences.

Last edited by _Vic_; 15/07/21 02:22 AM.
Originally Posted by _Vic_
i.e rogues bonus action does not include disengage because it´s now a jump/disengage action that all characters have.

That part is no longer true =)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Originally Posted by _Vic_
i.e rogues bonus action does not include disengage because it´s now a jump/disengage action that all characters have.

That part is no longer true =)
Yeah, jump is separated from disengage and causes AoO. It was a long time waiting for it. =D

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard