Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
addict
addict
There are small changes regarding the balance of the game, as Tuco said, now you need to use HP potions and clerics have become more valuable, since you can no longer heal with food. You can also no longer spam rest in the camp to restore spell slots or HP. Here are the main changes to this system. This system takes away this advantage from you, other things have not changed.

Almost nothing has changed for me, because the only reason why I "spammed" the camp its cutscenes. And that's why visually you can still "spam" the camp, because the cutscenes occur in the camp. This is something that I still don't like, because there are a lot of things that can be missed. I hope that Larian will find a solution to this.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Riandor
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
this is so unnecessarily passive-aggressive towards someone who doesn't want to play video games the way you think they should play them.
To be honest it isn't about how anyone feels the game should be played vs how you think it should be played, it is about debating how we get to being closer to D&D /BG1&2 mechanics and feeling.
and thats not going to happen if people insist on calling other people "braindead" for having an opinion on some video game or other. It just doesn't help at all. Someone might make the best points in the world but if that's couched in being really insulting I don't think that helps anyone make a better game.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Players who engage in exploration and combat only will still be able to progress in the game. But Players in their 3rd playthrough who just want to try a different party and roleplay a different character, to see how the story changes, or generally players who want to focus on roleplay and combat, will be forced to engage in the food search. If Larian keeps their over-abundant containers, it will be harder to memorise where the food items are (in the same way that people may remember where the essential magic items are, and bypass the trash container-searching on later playthroughs).

Don't know if this was already mentioned but you can purchase food from vendors, at least what I remember off the top of my head. Haven't sat down and continued passed the beach yet for this patch.

veteran
veteran
I honestly don't understand the resistance. I like the food mechanic. It gives all that food a purpose, makes Goodberry more valuable, limits long rest, and you can actually have fun with it if you let yourself.

First night, party had fish from the beach with rum. Wanted to eat it up before it spoiled. Nothing worse than spoiled fish smell. 😄

But seriously, put the food items in a pack, send it to camp, when you're ready to rest, take it out. Viola! No real hindrance. Maybe, at most, a slight annoyance.

apprentice
apprentice
I love the mechanic, it's my favorite addition with patch 5. The formula can be tweaked with, but the I love the immersion aspect of needing food, making healing abilities valuable again, and toning down the meta of casters rest spamming. I would like a supply chest at camp you can just store all your supplies in for weight and inventory management.

I wish there was another reason to go to camp, so I'd be more likely to see camp cutscenes and story elements. Anything I think of though, that would also include martial classes, like a fatigue meter, would be too much UI clutter and tedious. Maybe having to go to camp to level up could work?

I'll also be interested to see if Larian will buff good berries or add conjure food and water spell for the supply mechanic

M
M
Well, I've been playing for a little while now with Patch 5, & can honestly say that I like the direction that the long-rest system is taking, & I also do like the whole "mini-camp" thing, & would actually like to see it become the "default setting" for all long-rests (i.e. your long-rest setting will always match where you chose to take said long-rest).

My only recommendations for improvement-in relative order of importance-might be:

1) Have a minimum resource cut-off for taking *any* kind of long-rest (even partial)....though that might be good to tie in with the in-game difficulty settings. This would make the decision to take a long-rest even more strategic.

2) When outdoors, allow characters with appropriate skills (like hunting or herbalism) to increase your resources levels as part of the long-rest process. Likewise, allow characters with the appropriate skills to disguise your camp & stand watch prior to long-rest (see point (3) for an explanation.

3) I will probably get howled down for this, & I would understand if you rejected the suggestion, but I'd like a small chance for random encounters to interrupt a long-rest session (as an old-school D&D fan, I always loved the whole "Wandering Monsters" concept!)

4) I know this may be very difficult to implement at this point, but I would still love a full day/night cycle within the game, & thus have long and short rests move time forward within the game.

Anyway, those are my suggestions. Other than that I am loving my play-through with Patch 5. Its already playing out considerably different to my first 2 play-throughs.

M
M
Couldn't agree more, GM4Him. Late last year & into this year, one of the biggest complaints about BG3 was how exploitable the long-rest system was (me included). They've finally come up with a fix for it, & now people are complaining about it. Sure, I think it could do with a bit more tweaking and balancing, but the overall principle is definitely sound IMHO.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by MarcHicks
1) Have a minimum resource cut-off for taking *any* kind of long-rest (even partial)....though that might be good to tie in with the in-game difficulty settings. This would make the decision to take a long-rest even more strategic.

This is definitely a decent idea, but given the fact that companion interaction and a lot of story stuff is directly tied to being able to long rest, I would prefer they don't do that. If they change how they deal with story and companion scenes though, I don't think I'd mind at all.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I honestly don't understand the resistance. I like the food mechanic. It gives all that food a purpose, makes Goodberry more valuable, limits long rest, and you can actually have fun with it if you let yourself.

First night, party had fish from the beach with rum. Wanted to eat it up before it spoiled. Nothing worse than spoiled fish smell. 😄

But seriously, put the food items in a pack, send it to camp, when you're ready to rest, take it out. Viola! No real hindrance. Maybe, at most, a slight annoyance.

If you just send the food to camp then this entire change was useless as you would just vacuum up every food item and have it in your extradimensional camp space. You should need to carry all food items with you at all times (in a better organized inventory) so that there is a real tradeoff in how much food you carry with you and how often you rest when you are in a dungeon.

addict
addict
As far as I am aware, there are two main strands to opposition to this

1) people who do not want this sort of restriction in the game. They could make the point that neither Baldurs Gate 1 or 2 had resource requirements for resting, and they did have had random encounters, so removing free rests, while not having random encounters actually moves BG3 away from the BG1 and 2 model. I'm not particularly invested in leveraging that argument but I consider it to be true. Solasta actually has a difficulty option to turn off food requirements and I support that.

2) people who dislike the UI/UX of the inventory and find that additional features that require inventory management to be a negative because a rest system can be the best in the world but if it as a side effect requires more faffing around within a poorly designed system that is going to override their opinions on the rest system. I think it would be hard to find people who think the laggy inventory as it stands is good and I have a lot of sympathy with this section of people.

There is also those who are now annoyed that Goodberry does not trivialize the whole process. I think it is good that it does not as things stand. What is the point in playing with a restrictive rest process enabled if the whole thing can then be completely bypassed by a single level 1 spell? This was the problem in Solasta, all that work into rations and camping and all it did was make it "highly advisable" to take a green-mage or ranger. I can understand that people don't like this but from my point of view If I am going to play with a restrictive rest process i actually want it to be restrictive in the sense that it makes you think about your decisions and resource management, not restrictive in the sense that that it makes taking a druid compulsory in an already limited 4 person party (pure speculation based on Solasta experience).

I support putting this in if it can be done well, and if the inventory is fixed from the laggy mess it is at the moment, but I also support having it on by default for core-rules but toggleable in Kingmaker/Solasta style, whereby toggling it off bumps you onto "custom difficulty".

I an however concerned about the interaction between this and the camp-related story-beats. If camping is tied to story events and simultaneously you are discouraged from resting freely it will interfere with a core element of the game - the story itself; I worry that in order to get the story beats it might increese the need to meta-game events rather than them flowing naturally. I don't know what the solution to this is but it may cause issues if other things are not tweaked. It has been pointed out that perhaps a "fatigue" system a la BG1 and 2 would both "encourage" rests meaing story will not be missed while also being good - BG1 and 2 fatigue system is good imo.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 17/07/21 01:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yeah. They need to untie story dialogues with long rests. Even if they tied them to both long and short, that'd be better than just long.

I get not making the player go to camp for every short rest, as that could get tedious. You get the idea. If they are taking a short rest, that means they stopped and took a breather. We don't need to play it out every time.

But, the idea is that they ARE supposed to be resting for about an hour. So why not have some dialogues available to simply trigger when short resting?

For example, I hit Short rest. Suddenly, an indicator pops up. Shadowheart has something to discuss. If she's in your party, exclamation appears over her head as well. Trigger dialogue right there. If not, you can port to camp to talk to her if you want. You talk to her, bam, dialogue complete. Leave camp and back to where you were.

Then short rests become more valuable too and you dont miss dialogues as much.

B
stranger
stranger
B
This is a really important change for me and I just want Larian to know that I absolutely love it. I'm really sorry to see that some people are so opposed to it. The core 5th edition rule set has a needs system built in and it makes no sense to ignore that. More importantly, I believe that food should NEVER heal in any D&D game. It would be better to leave it out entirely than to completely ignore the 5e rules and allow players to heal with food.

That said I can think of several scenarios for the new rest mechanisms future, only one of which I can not accept and would cause me to quit playing the game entirely.

1. They return to the first system where food heals. This system is pure trash and I won't be able to play. While this system was in place my total playtime stopped at 12 hours and I seriously doubted I would ever play the game again. This was a smack in the face to players like me who enjoy D&D survival mechanics, and just isn't how the game is played.

2. They remove resting resources and use as system similar to BG1 and BG2. Resting would restore the party without the need to manage inventory items. I could live with this but I genuinely prefer the current system. At least this way food would not restore health.

3. They leave the new system in place for all players and continue to modify and optimize it. This is fine with me because I like the new system, but I do think that it's a mistake to alienate players who hate it.

4. They provide a setting that allows players to toggle camping resources on or off. In my opinion, this is Larian's best option. If they allow players who hate it to choose the BG1/2 system, and players who love it to keep camping resource management, it is essentially a win win. I don't think that anyone, at any difficulty, should be allowed to use food to heal. It sets too dangerous a precedent and has no place in a D&D game.

Obviously, there are other consideration and caveats but I believe that these options provide a good summary of possible outcomes that others in this forum have been discussing. For me, the new system is awesome. I'm so very glad that the change was made, but I don't want others to hate the game as much I did when food could heal in combat. As long as they don't bring that back, this game will likely remain playable for me. That said, I'm all in favor of options for players who hate the current system, so long as that option isn't combat healing with food.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by bnmntj
This is a really important change for me and I just want Larian to know that I absolutely love it. I'm really sorry to see that some people are so opposed to it. The core 5th edition rule set has a needs system built in and it makes no sense to ignore that. More importantly, I believe that food should NEVER heal in any D&D game. It would be better to leave it out entirely than to completely ignore the 5e rules and allow players to heal with food.

That said I can think of several scenarios for the new rest mechanisms future, only one of which I can not accept and would cause me to quit playing the game entirely.

1. They return to the first system where food heals. This system is pure trash and I won't be able to play. While this system was in place my total playtime stopped at 12 hours and I seriously doubted I would ever play the game again. This was a smack in the face to players like me who enjoy D&D survival mechanics, and just isn't how the game is played.

2. They remove resting resources and use as system similar to BG1 and BG2. Resting would restore the party without the need to manage inventory items. I could live with this but I genuinely prefer the current system. At least this way food would not restore health.

3. They leave the new system in place for all players and continue to modify and optimize it. This is fine with me because I like the new system, but I do think that it's a mistake to alienate players who hate it.

4. They provide a setting that allows players to toggle camping resources on or off. In my opinion, this is Larian's best option. If they allow players who hate it to choose the BG1/2 system, and players who love it to keep camping resource management, it is essentially a win win. I don't think that anyone, at any difficulty, should be allowed to use food to heal. It sets too dangerous a precedent and has no place in a D&D game.

Obviously, there are other consideration and caveats but I believe that these options provide a good summary of possible outcomes that others in this forum have been discussing. For me, the new system is awesome. I'm so very glad that the change was made, but I don't want others to hate the game as much I did when food could heal in combat. As long as they don't bring that back, this game will likely remain playable for me. That said, I'm all in favor of options for players who hate the current system, so long as that option isn't combat healing with food.

5) Your option 4, but also make any food that was previously sent to camp available in the resting dialogue. It doesn't feel like this should be such a hard change.

veteran
veteran
If they improved inventory management, I think the new system would be just fine and players who gripe about it would stop. The issue isn't the new food mechanic system but inventory management being clunky.

Think about it. If you could click a button that says, Send All Camp Supplies to Camp and boom, you're done, then no hassel. So what's left to complain about.

They could even just have all such items auto-sent to camp. Basic restrictions could be if the characters are in certain hostile areas, food doesn't auto port to camp, but as soon as you exit it does. Whatever. The point is, they could and should tweak the new system in terms of better, easier item management, not get rid of the system.

I also think food should be needed for short rests too, thus making it strategic to decide how much food to keep on you versus camp, but again ONLY if item management was easier and I was able to multi-select items and send or withdraw from camp easily. But that's a very minor suggestion regardless.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I also think food should be needed for short rests too, thus making it strategic to decide how much food to keep on you versus camp, but again ONLY if item management was easier and I was able to multi-select items and send or withdraw from camp easily. But that's a very minor suggestion regardless.

I have to disagree with you on this one my man. Short rests are meant to just be quickly taking a breather in-universe, making them reliant on food wouldn't really line up right. Part of the point is that you don't need to spend anything and you can take them basically any time you want. I feel like having to worry about spending resources could disrupt things in a way that isn't really beneficial.

veteran
veteran
A Short Rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.

It is implied that eating and drinking are involves to regain health. In the words of Nacho Libre, "It gives you nutrients, and some strength."

Going all day without food and drink wears a person down, especially if doing strenuous activity. It makes sense to require it, but again, ONLY if easy to manage. Micromanaging MORE inventory would not be fun in current state. Still, would make splitting camp supplies between personal inventory and camp more meaningful and strategic and immersive.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Having played around with the new camping, I hope it gets expanded upon and balanced better once crafting gets introduced. There's too much random food around that can be weirdly too powerful (like the supposedly "rotten" lettuce). Making such individual food items less effective on their own but be either convertable into camping sets (which provide a lot of camping points but no other benefits) or different meals (which provide fewer points but give some kind of a passive bonus until the next long rest, like + to specific ability checks/saves, or bonus movement - see Kingmaker's/PoE 2's implementation for something similar) via crafting will definitely make the system more interesting and involve more decision-making - like, if you know you're gonna fight illithids or something, better make that one meal that provides resistance to psychic damage or increases Wisdom saves.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brainer
Having played around with the new camping, I hope it gets expanded upon and balanced better once crafting gets introduced. There's too much random food around that can be weirdly too powerful (like the supposedly "rotten" lettuce). Making such individual food items less effective on their own but be either convertable into camping sets (which provide a lot of camping points but no other benefits) or different meals (which provide fewer points but give some kind of a passive bonus until the next long rest, like + to specific ability checks/saves, or bonus movement - see Kingmaker's/PoE 2's implementation for something similar) via crafting will definitely make the system more interesting and involve more decision-making - like, if you know you're gonna fight illithids or something, better make that one meal that provides resistance to psychic damage or increases Wisdom saves.

That's more of a Pathfinder mechanic and a controversial one. As far as I have seen its not RAW for 5E. I would personally prefer we NOT introduced "magic food" that acts like a cheap potion.

Pathfinder really hits the accelerator on player power levels so it makes more sense in that format. Saw a dude made a character with 108 AC in RoTR. Crazy.

Blackheifer
Originally Posted by bnmntj

I agree 100%.

I personally really enjoy the new system. Yes, it needs to be improved but it's not a bad concept.
As others have already mentioned, make it more like crafting: for example, maybe we could combine a specific amount/types of food into 1 pack supply unit with an unique name and icon (for example 'red meat camp supply' or something on that line) and each type could provide specific bonuses when consumed. Maybe red meat gives combat bonuses to strenght-based characters while fish gives bonuses to dexterity and so on.
In general, this system makes the game feel more real and immersive. I actually had a lot of fun searching barrells and boxes looking for food supplies until I felt I had enough.

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
journeyman
journeyman
I enjoy the new system. It eliminates me being able to eat an apple mid-combat to heal myself which was a bit silly. It still makes finding food in barrels/sacks meaningful because it is actually used for something. It makes sense that a living being would need to eat/drink when they camp to regain their health (also on page 186 of players handbook 2nd column 2nd paragraph, so yeah, it also seems pretty consistent with D&D to me). Best of all, the choose your food screen lets me quickly select a bunch of items and get them out of my inventory quickly. I seriously doubt Larian will find a system everyone likes, but in my opinion this one is way better than what was in the earlier patches. My only asks are:

1. You make an option to turn off having to have supplies to rest, so folks who don't want to have to deal with managing this can opt out.
2. Allow you to use supplies from the camp chest as well as from your inventory, so I can send stuff to camp instead of cluttering my inventory and still use it for resting.
3. Give me the ability with the Stadia controller to multi-select items in my inventory, so I can move them to my camp quicker.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard