Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
addict
addict
If the mindflayer gets some lucky hits in you can just kill it with ranged. 16 dex will give you a 40% chance to hit for 1d8+3 with a crossbow, plus advantage if you have high ground, and Shadowheart's Sacred Flame is at 40% against his dex. With Shadowheart, Lae'zel and the Intellect Devourer you can focus it down. Hex helps, as do buffs.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 16/07/21 10:41 AM.
veteran
veteran
I created 3 Custom characters and had Lae'Zel and Shadowheart. We attacked Zalk with everything, surrounding him. Save Guiding Bolts for him. They do a lot if hit. Bless is good to enhance attack chances.

Also, use items you pick up to keep cambions at bay. Throw bulbs and such at them. Area effect and they push enemies. I barely succeeded even doing all this.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Naginata
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Originally Posted by Naginata
How to kill Zhalk?

I can not kill him. What did i do wrong?

There are many ways to make this easier, the biggest being having your people out of range of him and the cambions by being along the higher left and right that is raised up and pelting everything with ranged attacks. Then when one runs up just push them off and rinse and repeat, or thats how I take care of them. This patch they seem to just stand around just under me after a push or messing their aggro with an Mage hand or Illusion, letting me pelt them with hex enhanced Eldritch Blasts.

I blasted the whole Area with Nautolid Tanks. Did the trick also
But i will use your "tricks" at the next playtrough smile

Nautiloid Tanks is the easier way. I just tend to avoid barrelmancy lol.

veteran
veteran
I was trying the new Wrath of the Righteous beta, when at some point the game tutorial gave me a pop-up teaching that I could drag a rectangle to select multiple units.

I had to pause and tear up a bit thinking of BG3 and its toilet chain.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Can I just ask....

Didn't they, last major update, apologise to us about the sheer size of the patch, but, then, explain to us that this would absolutely be the LAST time they had to make us download MASSIVE amounts of data to patch our game, because they'd improved their system for it, sot hat even major patches in the future would all be much smaller and more streamlined in terms of their data weight? They promised this, last patch, that it would be the last time...

And now this patch is 27 gigabytes.

That's bigger than most entire games I have on my computer!

I mean, it is just one more broken promise on a veritable mountain of them, at this point, but really? 27 gigabytes for a patch is not even on the same continent for 'acceptable patch size'. I'd normally not complain directly, but this is specifically after they made a point of promising that we WOULDN'T have to do this any more.

veteran
veteran
Sigh. Can't you be happy they finally released a patch, and it's good? I am VERY much enjoying it. It made the game SO much better.

My Drow really loves Zalks Flaming Sword. 😄

old hand
old hand
The patch size thing was not a promise I was going to hold them to. And honestly, i am fine with the patch size, cause I see it as a culmination of hard work improving the game.

I just hope there won't be another set of The Silent Months as I will jokingly call them.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 17/07/21 03:35 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Didn't they, last major update, apologise to us about the sheer size of the patch, but, then, explain to us that this would absolutely be the LAST time they had to make us download MASSIVE amounts of data to patch our game, because they'd improved their system for it, sot hat even major patches in the future would all be much smaller and more streamlined in terms of their data weight? They promised this, last patch, that it would be the last time...

And now this patch is 27 gigabytes.
I interpreted that promise as fixing the issue where steam/gog would re-allocate the entire game's worth of space, copy the game over, and then delete one of the versions. Even for patches that only added ~500MB worth of data; turning an update that should be a few minutes into an hour+.

Which it seems like Larian has done, considering the fewer amount of forum posts complaining about this occurrence. Not really something to brag about fixing, but definitely a good fix.

veteran
veteran
Oh, I'm definitely pleased with a lot of the stuff I'm seeing!

I've started a fresh file to check things and doing my granular bug reporting process like usual (hence fewer active forum threads). I'm liking the fact that Throw is more reasonably managed now - though we only seem to have two grades of throw, being 'Throw at a target quite close to you' or 'Throw as far as the next continent' - but I'm still pleased that it's been made more reasonable.

I'm finding the patch to be very unstable - I use Vulcan since that's the newer thing that they want tested and stabilised, but it's crashing very frequently all the same.

I like the display update for encumbrance, - a nice detail that wasn't specifically mentioned, though I'd like it if the associated tooltips would actually tell you what the differing levels of encumbrance would do in advance.

The new dice interface for ability checks is pleasing, though it would still be nice to accelerate it when we want to just buzz by the fancy quickly. What it DOES do is illustrate more overtly that halfling's Lucky trait is NOT functioning for ability checks involving advantage or disadvantage, at all.

Had some odd hangs with attempting to throw bodies around on the nautiloid, some requiring a reload to get out of, but I did like the revamped dragon fly-by cutscene.

Nevertheless - a patch that is larger than many full-sized games is a big ask, and I'm critical of it after they said that patches would be more efficient in terms of their data weight. 27 gigs is a lot to download.

But I'm also looking forward to that sword with Meerin ,my new fighter ^.^

stranger
stranger
Jesus, is it just me or is that Githyanki Patrol Severly Buffed Up? Im like what the... ???

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Medjai
Jesus, is it just me or is that Githyanki Patrol Severly Buffed Up? Im like what the... ???

They absolutely were. If you search the patch notes you'll find that the patrol was given more HP. The only reason I can think why is that Larian really doesn't want us to be able to win that combat encounter at this point. Which seems weird to me since I can't think why that's an issue. Unless beating them leads to a specific outcome. I've never beaten them so I don't know.

veteran
veteran
Lol. That was one thing that made me go, "Whaaaaaa? BUFFED! HARDER?"

I even put out a post pre-patch saying that encounter is too tough. Now it's HARDER? Makes no sense. 4 level 4 characters or less against 4 Githyanki is suicide unless you start on high ground and do all your buffs before initiating, and even then...

So best not piss them off. Just do what they say and DON'T be honest. 😁

veteran
veteran
On the bright side, with Zhalk and the Illithid now giving XP, you can get within a hair's breadth of level 3 before you even leave the nautiloid. Not quite, but almost.

Edit: But, level three when I hit the beach.

Last edited by Niara; 17/07/21 08:00 AM.
old hand
old hand
Who knows, maybe that is a precursor to them giving us a bigger party size and level 5? Since with both of those, the buffed health would balance everything out.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Who knows, maybe that is a precursor to them giving us a bigger party size and level 5? Since with both of those, the buffed health would balance everything out.

One can only hope. 😬

J
stranger
stranger
J
Cambions on Nauthiloid have no second melee attack, no ranged attack, no fiendish Charm as they should. That,bonus shove and explosives all around the ship allow the player to easily cheese them with 3 lvl 1 chars. Beating commander Zhalk while he is busy with the mindflayer is somewhat okay (again, commander lvl8 but no multiattack ?), soloing the two cambions after is not. Unless, they are clearly stated as lesser cambions.
Normally, real cambions should easily wrecked the team and thus force the player to rush and connect the transponder.
I don't think that reaching the beach already at lvl 3 is a good game design either.

Last edited by J. Firkraag; 17/07/21 01:30 PM.
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Lol. That was one thing that made me go, "Whaaaaaa? BUFFED! HARDER?"

I even put out a post pre-patch saying that encounter is too tough. Now it's HARDER? Makes no sense. 4 level 4 characters or less against 4 Githyanki is suicide unless you start on high ground and do all your buffs before initiating, and even then...

So best not piss them off. Just do what they say and DON'T be honest. 😁

OR you could acquire the Iron Flask from the Caravan Strongbox and go crazy on them with a certain creature. laugh
edit: Also I'm pretty sure theres an option to call Lump, the ogre with the intelligence circlet to fight for you... you can make the fight easier on yourself, with plenty more solutions

Last edited by S2PHANE; 17/07/21 01:33 PM.
addict
addict
New game started and got up to the druid camp.

I now have crashes at startup. INot always, but often have to restart 3 times to get going. First an unrecoverable vulcan error, then at second start another error because there's still a process hanging, and on 3rd startup everything is fine again. So I can play.

Shadowheart's XP are still lagging 30 behind.
The long blackout just before and after dialogues seems to be fixed. At least, it doesn't seem to last so terribly long anymore.
The RAIN DANCER is back !!! smile

[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again. smile

journeyman
journeyman
Is it only me or in the patch, it's impossible while in multiplayer to buff another player's rolls using spells and such ? Whenever I click on the icon to do it, only the spells or abilities tied to my own controlled characters show up.
We're two players with only one cleric in the party and it's very annoying to only be able to buff the player controlling it, especially considering how great the introduction of this system has been for the general feeling of the game.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Originally Posted by Medjai

They absolutely were. If you search the patch notes you'll find that the patrol was given more HP. The only reason I can think why is that Larian really doesn't want us to be able to win that combat encounter at this point. Which seems weird to me since I can't think why that's an issue. Unless beating them leads to a specific outcome. I've never beaten them so I don't know.

Naw,, im cool with it.. im just making sure i wasnt losing my mind. Ive always thought that kicking their asses shouldnt be possible. Because Githyanki send out advanced squads on special missions.

Like i said, i wanted to make sure thart I wasnt losing my mind.

This is a GOOD SIGN, cause this means the Githyanki is gonna play a major part in the game and i now CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE UNDERDARK WILL OFFER.

The Drow should be big to, because remember not only are they everywhere, but the kidnapped the Duke of Baldurs Gate. But I took the shield, not sure if its a passive activation, but about time they added metal shields. It looks cool.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard