Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Is it just me or are things very much sped up and has a generally far better and quicker flow in combat now?

addict
addict
It definitely is. I'm waiting for the Underdark before I pass more approval. But through the Goblin Camp it's been great.

For the most part it's defending the wall that I still need to test, maybe on another playthrough.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I played a little bit last night and thought the same thing, but i need more time to be sure.

addict
addict
Yep, can corroborate - you can actually "speed combat" now, which is like some sort of miracle for a turn-based game

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Yep, can corroborate - you can actually "speed combat" now, which is like some sort of miracle for a turn-based game
Exactly how does speeding up combat work?

veteran
veteran
What do you mean "sped up"? do you mean the enemies are moving faster? Or the ai is faster?

Last edited by Boblawblah; 16/07/21 12:40 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
What do you mean "sped up"? do you mean the enemies are moving faster? Or the ai is faster?

The AI is a lot faster, more aggressive, and smarter.

The AI will try to Alpha-Strike you. Its great!

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
hmm, i guess i have noticed the ai moving faster, but i haven't noticed them being that much smarter. I did have one of the three fighters at the first goblin fight actually heal my party, which was a first.

veteran
veteran
Everything is faster. You don't have to wait anymore for enemies to figure out what they want to do they act as soon as their turn starts it's much much faster

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Sorry, miscommunication on my part - basically everything moves much faster now, with much less AI wait time and everything acting much faster. You can do combat almost as fast as you can click, so if you know what you want to do you can rush through certain encounters in moments.

Not really on topic for this thread but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered easier combat? I have been finding things much easier - owlbear, goblins outside of grove, gnolls, etc, were much simpler. (I even checked to make sure weighted dice had not sneaked itself on!). I know there are meta-game effects but i think there is a genuine difficulty decrease

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 16/07/21 01:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
I killed the cambion guy no problems this time something I never got even close to doing before

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Not really on topic for this thread but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered easier combat? I have been finding things much easier - owlbear, goblins outside of grove, gnolls, etc, were much simpler. (I even checked to make sure weighted dice had not sneaked itself on!). I know there are meta-game effects but i think there is a genuine difficulty decrease

I noticed that some enemies actually had lower hitpoints now. The Intellectual Devourers after the crash seem to be a lot weaker/less hitpoints (i thought they used to be over 20?) than they were before. The goblins outside of the grove didn't seem to put up much more of a fight than they ever have.

veteran
veteran
I noticed that some enemies actually had lower hitpoints now. The Intellectual Devourers after the crash seem to be a lot weaker/less hitpoints (i thought they used to be over 20?) than they were before. The goblins outside of the grove didn't seem to put up much more of a fight than they ever have.
They were all wounded. As in: they had missing health (i.e. 12hp out of 21) before the fight even began.

Last edited by Tuco; 16/07/21 02:27 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
There is one fight I found harder so far - the Gnoll Boss fight. This was for three reasons:

1) I went in the back way and the Gnolls immediately blew up all the Alchemists Fire that was lying around... half in the first round and half in the 2nd, and that set half my team on fire and destroyed the ladder. Afaik they deliberately targeted the bottles that are lying around everywhere. This is bad imo, and im sure an unintended consequence of tweaking AI while leaving all those bottles in the environment.

2) the Junior Zhent tried to charge our the cave and got merked immediately. This may have been the AI not coping with the loss of the ladder in round 1?

3) The Boss herself seemed to hit for more damage and harder - perhaps stats adjusted?

Overall not that much harder but it was more touch and go than I remember

addict
addict

Goblins throughout the map seem to have less HP, which is nice. It feels like fighting goblins.

The intellect devourers are also less aggressive, scouting less of the room and allowing the player to get into position.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Sorry, miscommunication on my part - basically everything moves much faster now, with much less AI wait time and everything acting much faster. You can do combat almost as fast as you can click, so if you know what you want to do you can rush through certain encounters in moments.

Thanks.

If it is true that combat is both quicker AND easier, then that may be what makes the game finally somewhat palatable for me, as someone who HATES the combat in the game and wants to just be able to get through it as quickly as possible.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Overall, the game seems more polished. Dragging items to sell from inventory is pretty laggy for me though.

addict
addict
There is one fight I found harder so far - the Gnoll Boss fight. This was for three reasons:

1) I went in the back way and the Gnolls immediately blew up all the Alchemists Fire that was lying around... half in the first round and half in the 2nd, and that set half my team on fire and destroyed the ladder. Afaik they deliberately targeted the bottles that are lying around everywhere. This is bad imo, and im sure an unintended consequence of tweaking AI while leaving all those bottles in the environment.
I found the fight's difficulty about the same, it's always had a bit of chaos to it. It is nice seeing the gnolls spread damage around though.

The minotaurs are definitely more of a fair fight now. Before initial positioning really mattered and I was able to beat the minotaurs from multiple angles. (Still a challenging fight, but it's no longer oh.... I had too many characters close to the edge).

The Githyanki patrol seemed more challenging. I had to go back to strats with exploiting the bridge.

addict
addict
This is huge.
A lot faster snappier and smarter AI. NO FOOD for healing during combat. Good backstab changes, jump/disengage separated etc...Though I am very critical of BG3 I think Larian deserve some praise for that last patch. All around great changes!
Thank god people complained and voiced their critical opinions on these prior systems instead of singing praises and smelling roses 24/7.

Now get rid of that stupid party selection LARI-CHAIN UI PLEASE!!

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 18/07/21 02:06 AM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Now get rid of that stupid party selection LARI-CHAIN UI PLEASE!!

What do you suggest they implement as an alternative? I also strongly dislike it in its current implementation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard