Print Thread
Page 38 of 41 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41
L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Ezerox
Originally Posted by Worm
Unit selection should work like it did in BG1 and BG2. The whole idea of chaining portraits is novel but in practice is just very inconvenient. Constantly people follow you into hazards, break stealth, etc. Simply add a speak button for talking to NPCs and let us click and click drag to select multiples.
I completely disagree, I love having my characters grouped with chained portraits. Yes it breaks stealth sometimes, but that is just where you need to be onto it aha... much better than the click and drag to select units like you speak of IMHO.

Just a thought.. but both ideas are pretty terrible. I think stealthing and traversal up and down terrain is where I've noticed these issues the most. I think a simple setting allowing players to toggle a choice in how they behave when encountering these situations is best.

I'd personally prefer to have all chained characters stealth if one person does. This way if I want ONE person to sneak or ONE person to not sneak I can easily control it, and quickly.

The terrain thing is a bit of a different beast and i just think the AI needs work in that regards. There should also be a little button next to the portraits that breaks all the chains at once.

Since we can already hot key portrait selections I see zero reason for the click drag click functionality to be implemented other than enabling for easier accessibility to the disabled gaming community.

apprentice
apprentice
Bard. That's it. Bard.

Life's better with a Bard.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Thomson
Originally Posted by Chief_Jericho
To your final point I will again say that this is not a table top RPG, it's not a pen and paper RPG, it's a computer RPG, a video game, it's going to take time to kill enemies, you aren't just rolling a dice and the outcome is set, that's random luck, not skill and almost all gamers want skill involved so no, we don't need a 'kill-all-enemies button'. As I said at the beginning, you are just going to have to accept that the genre has evolved along with the technology and you're going to get a very different experience than you got with BG2. However the game will most likely ship with difficulty levels and like DOS2 (and other games) have a story mode where fights are so easy they're over much faster.
The problem is not about difficulty at all. When I play a fantasy adventure I want to play sword and socery and not pit shoving and barrelmancy.

For me the current combat system is utterly without soul and fun. It is a silly puzzle solving game paired with spamming of the same spell/action again and again.

I wouldn't care if they threw the D&D 5e System comletely out of the window and created something that I can enjoy.

But currently the bare bones implementation of the 5e combat system in Solasta is about 10 times more engaging, tactical, interesting, challenging and fun for me than the Baldurs' Gate system.
Frankly, I don't understand the complaint of this being some "puzzle solving" game when it comes to combat, cause frankly, almost ANY turn based system is going to basically amount to puzzle/problem solving in some fashion or another, its simply the nature of combat as a whole in almost any genre, especially when faced with an AI opponent. Even Solasta for that matter is HEAVILY reliant at times on you finding what is the best way to take on a fight, or how to best deal with an enemies weakness, the biggest example that comes to mind being the fight against Aksha, as that fight can be damned near hell if you aren't expecting, or aware of some of the mechanics involved, hell even the first real "boss" fight of the game against the first Sorak caster has some elements to it that can be pretty rough if you don't know what to expect, and in a game that requires Iron Man (something which I honestly love to be fair, so no real complain there), it can quickly lead to a game over for your party if you aren't at least aware, or prepared to pay attention to your surroundings, as well as your enemies tendencies. While Solasta definitely does a better job as a whole of being a 5e game in how much it follows the rulebook, and praise be even lets you HEAVILY customize your experience in the settings with various options and sliders, it still just boils down you solving a puzzle as to how best to optimally work your way through a scenario. Same with BG3 ultimately, there is plenty of ways to tackle almost any fight, the problem in both cases becomes just how much people get hung up on the meta gaming/optimal ways of playing, and in this respect, its both the players and the developers faults, players for pretty much optimizing the fun out of the game for themselves, and the developers for allowing a style of meta gaming and min maxing that generally isn't the most fun to do. Albeit, I don't really see the barrel thing being a major issue here, at least not having been a first time player through patch 5, the only instance I actually even ended up using barrels in particular to win a fight was against the Zhentarim which was loaded to all hell with barrels and oil on the ground. As a one off, I don't see it as too much of an issue, but the fact that there are as many barrels around in many, many areas does allow for one to snow ball a fight, or out right cheapen combat as a whole.

Of course, the biggest sin right now is probably just how powerful height advantage is, and I do somewhat wish they'd follow Solastas steps on this one, or at least just retweak the numbers on it, as I do happen to like the idea of having height advantages, just not having it be the end all be all as it currently can be for spellcasters and ranged characters. Maybe have a feat where it adds height advantage as a significant element, and it won't be nearly as much of an issue, similar to speccing heavily into the huntsman stat I believe it is in DoS. No need for it to basically invalidate ranged units on the ground, but also worth giving a bit of a bonus to those who take the time to prepare or set up, if nothing else at least keep the increased range when on higher ground, with an optional feat to increase advantage/damage when higher up. That and I do personally think an action like shove should be kept as an action, rather than a bonus action as it currently is, and that dodge needs to be a feature they eventually implement.

All in all though, there are things I absolutely LOVE about Solasta, and BG3 could absolutely take a few notes from them in some regards when it comes to player freedoms, as well as implementing the 5e rules. For one, I'd love to see a dice rolling system to dictate characters stats, and overall more custom difficulty options, like requiring an action to swap current active weapons/equipment set, as well as having components/a free hand required for spell casting, which I don't think should be a feature forced on all players, but its ones I do particularly happen to enjoy making use of, and can manage to make combat feel an extra bit more strategic, while also restricting the players abilities a bit so they don't wind up being able to do too many actions per turn. All in all, both combat systems do things I really like, and stumble in ways that I think both could learn from each other some, BG3 in general having a far more interesting narrative, world, and ways to interact with its world as a whole, while Solasta generally has the combat feel of DnD down far more, with BG3 somewhere in a cross between 5e and DoS rulesets, which is fine for me as a whole if it were to be tweaked a bit, but its obviously not what many BG fans, or D&D fans really want either, even if I can say that based on the mass majority of players in the CRPG genre, as well as general public reception, it'll perform well critically and commercially regardless of whether they try to keep it more closely to the tabletop rulesets, and likely is just being made to serve as a cross promotion between 5e and Larian as a whole when it really gets boiled down to the basics. Almost would prefer this game was just something entirely of their own making, rather than being tied to the BG universe, especially as how I both don't have much connection to previous BG games, and it would be able to shed a lot of expectations and allow them to more freely create whatever it is they envision without potentially causing some hurt feelings over how people would like a sequel to BG2 to turn out.

M
addict
addict
M
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what this topic is about, but a fantastic list of suggestions that has widespread support in the topic can be found below:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=799273#Post799273

I really hope Larian can work on some, if not all, of these ideas that would make BG3 even much more enjoyable!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mikus
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what this topic is about, but a fantastic list of suggestions that has widespread support in the topic can be found below:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=799273#Post799273

I really hope Larian can work on some, if not all, of these ideas that would make BG3 even much more enjoyable!

Thanks for putting this here. I agree.

stranger
stranger
I dug around and didn't see too much about this, so my apologies if this has come up elsewhere! My suggestion has to do with character customisation and equipment, specifically class starting equipment.

1. It would be really nice to be able to choose your starting equipment, even if it were just weapon and armour choices when creating a new character. Simple things like being able to start with a sword and shield instead of a two-handed sword, or chain mail instead of a chain shirt would make a lot of difference! Perhaps gold rolling could be incorporated at character creation like in the TTRPG could just be put in the game to prevent from min/maxing?

2. If the above was implemented, it would be nice to be able to choose how the weapon/armour looks. Colours/textures and racial styles would be a good idea to help give your character some... well... character. An elven rogue might have more ornately made daggers (though no more powerful) than a gnome might, for example.

3. Additional clothing to go with armour that would be aesthetic-only (i.e. no stats, just for flavour). The example I'd like to give here is my own TTRPG warlock who has a cloak he wears over the top of his leather armour. This would allow for players to give their characters a more unique style/a recognisable silhouette. I'm not sure whether simply creating more "styles" of armour to incorporate different aesthetic options like in suggestion 2 would work, e.g. a cloak over armour, or if aesthetic-only clothing would be better, e.g. a "cloak" slot for a cape, a "face" slot for a mask, etc. to avoid taking a "chest" or "head" slot where armour would go.

O do not run too fast, for I will but bespeak thy grave, and die.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by raburi
1. It would be really nice to be able to choose your starting equipment, even if it were just weapon and armour choices when creating a new character.
This has been mentioned a few times, but it's always worth repeating. Choosing equipment is an integral part of character creation, both mechanically and roleplay-wise. I shouldn't be forced to take e.g., a shortsword and a chain shirt (medium armor) if the idea I have for my character is a Morningstar + Chain Mail (heavy armor) + Shield.

Imo the best way to do this is to find (your specifically selected and/or a variety of) weapons & armor somewhere on the tutorial ship. The game can then take the opportunity to teach you about normal vs finesse vs versatile etc weapons, and different armor categories & AC calculation via tutorial pop-ups.

stranger
stranger
Imo the best way to do this is to find (your specifically selected and/or a variety of) weapons & armor somewhere on the tutorial ship. The game can then take the opportunity to teach you about normal vs finesse vs versatile etc weapons, and different armor categories & AC calculation via tutorial pop-ups.

I don't think there need to be tutorials for those things as such, just that choices should be more clearly communicated during character creation. A tooltip clearly showing that a longsword scales with Strength, while a rapier shows that it could scale with either Strength or Dexterity, etc. is pretty clear IMO and gives players some credit.

O do not run too fast, for I will but bespeak thy grave, and die.
M
stranger
stranger
M
In Mayrina's questline we used our passive skills to knock her out because Auntie Ethel used illusions and we did not know which one was the legit Mayrina. So she was knocked out with one health, after winning the battle, we long rested so that Mayrina would wake up. When we came back she was gone and nowhere to be found in or around the house. I feel like this was a bug?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by MattLong6
In Mayrina's questline we used our passive skills to knock her out because Auntie Ethel used illusions and we did not know which one was the legit Mayrina. So she was knocked out with one health, after winning the battle, we long rested so that Mayrina would wake up. When we came back she was gone and nowhere to be found in or around the house. I feel like this was a bug?

Knocking NPCs out has pretty much never had the desired result. One exception I've noticed is at the windmill. You are actually able to proceed to wake and question the NPC after knocking him out. This is a specific case though and you're told to knock him out so clearly Larian finally tied off that outcome.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Originally Posted by MattLong6

Knocking NPCs out has pretty much never had the desired result. One exception I've noticed is at the windmill. You are actually able to proceed to wake and question the NPC after knocking him out. This is a specific case though and you're told to knock him out so clearly Larian finally tied off that outcome.

I feel the knock out could benefit so many situations as well, for example auntie ethel, being able to knock out the masked servents, remove their masks and ultimately free them. I tried but they just died anyway. It seemed like a wasted effort.

Now where's my pet Goblin?
S
stranger
stranger
S
I just wanted to bring up the suggestion or Idea of instead of having all weapons go on the back to somehow have swords and othe small weapons go on the hip like the daggers do and also have sheaths for them. I know it could be asking a lot but I always thought it just looked wierd in games. Would love the more natural look and not floaty weapons that all stick to your back. Haha.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SolPrincess
I just wanted to bring up the suggestion or Idea of instead of having all weapons go on the back to somehow have swords and othe small weapons go on the hip like the daggers do and also have sheaths for them. I know it could be asking a lot but I always thought it just looked wierd in games. Would love the more natural look and not floaty weapons that all stick to your back. Haha.

You're not alone. Thanks for posting. Many have suggested the same thing. Daggers are the only weapons that sheath at the hip currently in game. It's weird that even short swords do as well.

And what happens when capes are implemented? That'll look really weird.

Big weapons don't sheath. Most melee sheath at the hip. Ranged can be slung on the back or crossbows even at the hip. That would look way more natural.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Personaly i dont really care where weapons "should" sheath ... i like them on my back, and im used to that from various fantasy.
SO if there are suppose to be any changes, make them optional please ... it should not be hard, simply dont delete what we allready have. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Personaly i dont really care where weapons "should" sheath ... i like them on my back, and im used to that from various fantasy.
SO if there are suppose to be any changes, make them optional please ... it should not be hard, simply dont delete what we allready have. :-/

Ugh. How many options are we going to ask them to create? I'd honestly rather they leave it as is than create yet ANOTHER option. It's getting out of hand.

How about they create an option to allow us to poop and wipe out butts? That sounds immersive. :P

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/04/22 11:12 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
How many options are we going to ask them to create?
In this particular case? 1. laugh

In case of sheating weapons ... i believe we were talking about ... 12 in total if im not mistaken? laugh
1h on back, or hip ...
2h on back, or unsheatable ...
Shield visible, or hidden ...
Ranged weapon visible, or hidden ...
+ Quivers visible, or hidden ...
Daggers visible, or hidden ...

How about they create an option to allow us to poop and wipe out butts?
Dementating again?
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

veteran
veteran
Nah. Just joking around.

But seriously, I'm getting to the place where I'm getting sick of, "As long as they create an option for it and don't make it so that everyone has to have it that way."

Dude. If they did create options for everything we've suggested, the options would be as long as their PFH printouts.

Just make decisions and if people don't like it, tough. SOME options are good, like creating a balanced set of difficulty levels (including 5e, lol), but all this "We want you to create an option for XYZ little thing that doesn't really matter...". Yeah. No. Just don't change anything or make the change and move on. No option necessary.

Hmmm... But I'd like an option for Shove distance, please. A slider that lets the player decide just how far you can shove an enemy. 5, 10, 20, 30, 100, 300, 500 feet? Oh yeah!

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
If they did create options for everything we've suggested, the options would be as long as their PFH printouts.
That is complete nonsence ...

How much space did option to hide your helmet take? :P
Thats right ... none. smile

And this can be achieved exactly the same ... just small button on weapon switching between sheeting on back, or hip (working as unsheatable for 2h) ... just second small button on offhand weapon doing the same ... or hiding/showing shield if checked ... and same goes with ranged weapon ...
So all we need is 3 small buttons ... well, 4 actualy, since i would also like to hide my cape.

How much space would it take? wink

Just make decisions and if people don't like it, tough.
Are you suggesting end of Early Acess? laugh
I mean decisions were made allready ... so ... laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
If they did create options for everything we've suggested, the options would be as long as their PFH printouts.
That is complete nonsence ...

How much space did option to hide your helmet take? :P
Thats right ... none. smile

And this can be achieved exactly the same ... just small button on weapon switching between sheeting on back, or hip (working as unsheatable for 2h) ... just second small button on offhand weapon doing the same ... or hiding/showing shield if checked ... and same goes with ranged weapon ...
So all we need is 3 small buttons ... well, 4 actualy, since i would also like to hide my cape.

How much space would it take? wink

Just make decisions and if people don't like it, tough.
Are you suggesting end of Early Acess? laugh
I mean decisions were made allready ... so ... laugh

Yes. For the love of all that's good and holy. Just end EA. I'm so sick of going back and forth with people about the game.

This is Swen's dream project. Make it how you want Swen. To heck with it! It'll never please everyone. Enough feedback. We've given enough to fill a space cruiser.

And it isn't the space on the screen, Ragnarok. It's the time, money, rework, and I'm talking about ALL the options everyone wants combined.

Enough. Forget it. Just finish the game.

BTW, I'm only MOSTLY serious.

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/04/22 09:03 PM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
And it isn't the space on the screen, Ragnarok. It's the time, money, rework, and I'm talking about ALL the options everyone wants combined.
So ... in order to save money, time and human resources ...
You support the idea to create something entirely new, that would require money, time and human resources ... instead of expanding something that allready cost them money, time and human resources? O_o

Cant say i follow. :-/

See that is the beauty in options ...
If option A is allready there ... and people want option B ...

You can obviously scrap everything and start over ...

OR ... you can be smart and simply give them both, so even more people can be happy, so your previous work have some value, and so money spend on it was used purposefully ...

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/04/22 10:09 PM.

Page 38 of 41 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard