Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Adiktus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just started playing with patch 5. Broadly approve of most of the changes (although separating jump from disengage has made combat quite a bit harder IMO and will take some adjustment).

But one thing really leapt out as a boo-boo. Why must my characters say something EVERY SINGLE TIME I give them instructions?

Yes, the voice actors are great, and yes, the writing is fabulous, and I appreciate the effort to give us more of both. But given the amount of navigation, positioning, jumping etc the game requires, it means your characters are talking almost non-stop; despite the impressive variety in their dialogue, they end up repeating themselves before long.

On the one hand, from a general perspective, this grows annoying pretty quickly. But perhaps more gravely, it *calls too much attention to the metatextual nature of the game*. You lose your sense of immersion because you are continually reminded that you are not an adventurer exploring a strange world - you are instead an omnipotent god issuing instructions to pawns in a simulated reality. (Who else are they talking to, if not you?)

I'm not saying lose the feature altogether, and I want to reiterate how much I love the amount of effort and attention to detail that's gone into the game - just tone it down a bit, maybe? Have them say something every fourth or fifth time we click, rather than every time?

EDIT (add): One other small gripe - the additional constraints on carry weight are a little limiting. Even with a 16 STR fighter and Lae'zel, I struggled to carry all the stuff I looted from the Nautiloid.

As I hate to be negative about an otherwise jaw-droppingly brilliant game, I will finish by saying keep up the amazing work, Swen and Larian!

Last edited by Adiktus; 19/07/21 09:59 AM. Reason: Added a line on a different feature
enthusiast
enthusiast
You CAN tone the frequency down yourself to Occasional, or Never. smile

A
Adiktus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ah great, thanks, hadn't noticed that option.

But I find it a bit weird that Larian spent so much time, effort (and presumably money) on a feature that a lot of people will probably turn off.

veteran
veteran
Well, I probably won't. I try to not click 13 times in twenty seconds, to begin with.
That said, this thread is as good as any other to point that... Maybe shapeshifted druids should not speak their lines?

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Well, I probably won't. I try to not click 13 times in twenty seconds, to begin with.
That said, this thread is as good as any other to point that... Maybe shapeshifted druids should not speak their lines?

I might be alone in this thought but shapeshifted druids should totally make whatever noises their form would make. So a wolf should bark and howl in place of the point-and-click line. A bear should growl and grunt or roar, etc etc.
Same for familiars/summons, with Imp, Sprite, and Quasits having spoken lines perhaps as they can in fact speak.
They have already gone the extra mile with how much they have recorded, but I think this would be a minor but major improvement.

On the frequency, I kinda hope we get a slider instead of the three options listed so it's more a 1-10 on frequency with 1 being never and 10 being all the time.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I might be alone in this thought but shapeshifted druids should totally make whatever noises their form would make. So a wolf should bark and howl in place of the point-and-click line. A bear should growl and grunt or roar, etc etc.
Same for familiars/summons, with Imp, Sprite, and Quasits having spoken lines perhaps as they can in fact speak.

+1

BTW I was pleasantly surprised that some of the "lesser imps" on the Nautiloid now have idle dialogue lines.

Link Copied to Clipboard